Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

BF004 Mock Offseason v.004

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: BF004 Mock Offseason v.004 Reply with quote

A BF Mock

Free Agents

Gerald Hodges - ILB - 6'2" 236

Quote:
Hodges, 26, is coming off his best season as a pro with the 49ers in 2016, and was expected to compete for substantial playing time if retained by the team. Hodges started 12 games last year while setting career highs with three sacks and two interceptions. Hodges was ranked as the 21st most linebacker in the league according to Pro Football Focus.

Sign Hodges for a 1 year, 2 million dollar deal. Not sure why he doesn't have a contract yet, but would compete a starting role with Thomas, Martinez and Ryan and give us a little more depth at ILB and probably line up at OLB as well if needed.

NFL Draft

J - E - T - S, JETS JETS JETS trade up from pick 39 to 29 to get a QB. They also happen to give us their 3rd and we also give up a 6th comp pick.

Round 2 - Pick 7 (from Jets)
Chidobe Awuzie - CB - Colorado - Sr - 6'0" -202 [/b]

One of my favorite CB prospects given the value. Doesn't have that top end speed you want, but is aggressive at the LOS. Looks like he plays about equally well in zone and man. Might not ever be our #1 pro bowl corner, but very well could be a very successful corner in his own ways.
Quote:
Awuzie shows some of the best quarterback vision compared to his contemporaries in this class. He reads the quarterback then shows off his anticipation skills to jump routes to disrupt potential pass completions. As he closes, he displays the correct form wrapping up appropriately also packing a punch causing six fumbles in his career. He can eat up a lot of grass quickly as he also showed promise as a blitzer from the cornerback spot as he totaled for seven sacks over his past two seasons.

One of the bigger concerns in Awuzie’s game is he can become too grabby and will see plenty of laundry in the league if he does not clean things up. His overly physical play in the secondary has gotten him in trouble in the past. He has shown that he almost relies on his physical ability too much to give him the advantage because if he does not get his initial punch in or does not stay on the hip of the receiver, he will lose the battle. Though, his recognition skills and instincts will bail him out more than often.

His ball skills are nothing to drool over having only three interceptions in four years. Another negative to his game is that blockers can easily swallow him up as he struggles to break free (at times showed a lack of trying to shed the blocks). The inconsistencies in this department either question his willingness or overall play strength. Both are concerning.

Awuzie shows the athletic tools and press coverage skills to be a long-term No. 2 cornerback in the league possibly showing the right improvements to move into the No. 1 role. Even though he most likely will not test with blazing speed, he shows recovery and change of direction skills. His versatility and special teams experience will get him on the field quick.

Round 2 - Pick 29
Dion Dawkins - OG - Temple - Sr - 6'4" -314

Add some talent the the RG battle.
Quote:
Dawkins is listed at 6’4″ 317 pounds, and started at left tackle for the Temple Owls in 2016. For his thick size, Dawkins is a very athletic player with the ability to come off combo blocks and get to the second level.
What jumps off the film when watching Dawkins, however, is his power. When he keeps his pad level low he can overpower just about any defensive linemen, and drive them off the ball. With his weight, strength, and arm length, Dawkins will certainly get a shot to play in the NFL.
Most expect Dawkins to be a rookie starter at guard in the league, but I could definitely see him playing tackle as well. At the Senior Bowl, Dawkins was one of the top three tackles when given the chance to play outside. No, he doesn’t have the fluid kick sets of someone like Antonio Garcia, but his power and length go a long way towards making him a solid pro prospect.

Round 3 - Pick 6 (from Jets)
Derek Rivers - DE - Youngstown State - Sr - 6'4" - 248

Awesome hand techniqe, extension and pad level, shattered the school record for career sacks at Youngstown state.
Quote:
Derek Rivers features an excellent build and looks the part of an NFL player. He has long arms, good bulk and fluid movement skills. The fact that his experience mainly came against a lower-level competition should only impact his overall draft stock a small amount.
Rivers absolutely dominated the teams he faced by generating consistent pressure in the backfield. He routinely jumped out as the best athlete on the field.  Rivers also helped himself during the Senior Bowl where he handled the step up in competition.
MORE FROM WITH THE FIRST PICK
2017 NFL Draft: Utah Marcus Williams Scouting Report1 h ago
NFL Mock Draft 2017 v3.0 – Early April by Kyle Davis1 d ago
Find Ben Roethlisberger’s Replacement Next Year2d ago
Malcolm Butler to New Orleans Saints at Some Point3d ago
3-Round 2017 NFL Mock Draft4d ago
It’s important to note that Rivers isn’t just an athlete as he also shows natural football awareness. He’s someone who plays with a strong base and balance. This allows him to hold at the point of attack and easily change direction.
Rivers is committed to using his hands and shows the ability to press the blocker to create space. He flashes the bend needed to turn the corner and burst to close on the ball carrier. His hand placement and raw strength help him employ a power move.
Despite his success, Rivers is still a work in progress and someone who will need time to reach his full potential. The good news is that he’ll receive better coaching and improved strength training in the NFL. He is the type of raw prospect that coaches love to develop. They see him as a piece of clay that they can mold into something special.
There’s no doubting the fact that Rivers is raw, but he’s a good enough athlete to make an immediate impact. He’s ready to contribute on special teams and as a situational pass rusher from day one.
Overall, Rivers projects as an edge player who can handle defensive end or outside linebacker. The hope is that he’ll quickly develop into a dangerous pass rusher who can attack with speed and power. His size and strength also give him the potential to be a top-notch run defender.

Round 3 - Pick 29
Justin Evans - S - Texas A&M - Sr 6'1" - 199

[img]http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/theeagle.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/bb/cbb3a778-eaaf-530d-97d5-7ff3e1e16df7/581c152682aed.image.jpg?resize=300%2C376[/img]

Can't have enough good football players even it seems like if might be hard for him to see the field his first year other than maybe ST. But he seems like good player to me.
Quote:
Evans range is impressive due to his speed and can cover over the top as a single high safety, he has solid ball skills and contributed 12 passes defended and 4 interceptions his senior year.

Evans is a scheme versatile safety that can be moved all over the field, but his true home will be free safety in the NFL. This is due to his size more than anything and his superior range. Evans will likely start on special teams and also return kicks. He will also contribute to the depth of the team drafting him as he has experience playing both safety positions.

**** TRADE (so I can do less late round picks) - Packers move their 4th and 7th to move up into the 4th round

Round 4 - Pick 15
Tanzel Smart - DT - Tulane - Sr - 6'1" - 296

Smaller build, but explosive as you would hope, yet surprisingly stout and able to hold ground in the run game. Very high motor.
Quote:
Smart lines up all along the interior for the Green Wave, from the three-technique in four-man fronts to the nose tackle spot in a three-man alignment. He’s got the power to take on multiple blockers and still impact the play, but is quick and explosive enough to take advantage of 1-on-1 matchups.

Round 5 - Pick 29
James Conner - RB - Pittsburgh - rJr - 6'1" - 233

Cancer survivor yet very acclaimed college career. More of a bigger, one cut, true running back that we need on roster.
Quote:
When he sees an opening and goes he is an absolute force. Arm tackles alone will not bring him down. Conner does his best work inside the tackles punishing defenders. He thrives in a single cut and go system and could find a home in short term situations for almost any NFL team. His pass catching is limited but he has shown the ability to be effective at swing passes.

Conner does come with some risk. Unfortunately, his health has to come into question and not just the lymphoma as he did tear his MCL in 2016. Bouncing back with a solid 2016 season should help ease some of these concerns but he wasn’t nearly the dynamic offensive force he was in 2014.

Player Comparison: Dorsey Levens

Dorsey and Connor both have similar physical attributes as bigger backs that can find a home in the right system. I liked this comparison as Levens and Conner both lacked elite speed but thrive in a single cut and go system. If Connor is drafted into a situation where he is able to learn behind a veteran, he could develop into a fine NFL running back. In the immediate, he is more then adequate in short yardage situations.

Round 6 - Pick 29
Artavis Scott - WR - Clemson - Jr - 5'10" - 193

Disappointed a bit at the combine in the 40 (4.61), but the gif above shows me he is plenty fast. Strong receiver, good catching technique, aggressive with the ball in the air and in his hands. Reminds me quite a bit of Ty Montgomery actually, wouldn't be surprised if he could line up in the back field on occasion but would probably make his living in the slot.
Quote:
Scott was highly productive at Clemson, bringing in 245 passes, for 2480 yards, and 19 touchdowns. He has great speed, is a dynamic play maker, he is also a dynamic returner, a solid pass catcher, a go-to receiver, he makes something out of nothing, along with being a good blocker. He is also smart, elusive, and runs good routes. He however is undersized, and has had injury issues in the past. With receivers always being in demand each year, I expect Scott to be a day 2 pick.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
Jaegybomb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Mayock lists Awuzie as a nickel in his position rankings does that mean more of a slot guy?
BobSacamano

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like Rivers and Awuzie at those slots.

KingTarvaris7 wrote:
last year's vikings were far better than the packers team that just won
SE500

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I love the trade, I've been hoping something likes this happens. Good value for so little sacrifice in this draft.

Really like a CB early, and I like Awuzie. I do prefer a corner who could start on the outside playing press man OR zone. Not sure that's Awuzie.

Guard is one of my biggest needs for this team if not the biggest, and I really like Dawkins at the point you have us taking him. Would certainly prefer Lamp, but he won't be here.

No doubt plenty of justification for Rivers where you have him. I much prefer Jordan Willis, but we would have to take him sooner. Can not argue with any pick so far though.

I know both Burnett and Dix will have to be addressed next year, but both will be. I don't know if Evans would be in the mix for best available athlete at this point, but I don't see Safety as much a need as other positions. RB, ILB, or even another CB or Edge guy more needed in my opinion.

I don't like Smart here, and not for us here. Greater needs with equal of better talent at those need positions. We likely keep only 5 D-linemen and no more than 6.

Would love to get Scott in the 6th round, but I find it hard to believe that would be possible. He will go sooner.
PACKRULE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense seems like a nice draft but Edge is not addressed early enough and if we go OG in the first 3 rounds it will be a melt down after the double dip in T or Oline last year. NO point at all drafting an OLine before the 4th or 5th to be honest. We have enough depth to cover off the loss of Lang and Tretter. CB early is ok although there is likely better options.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawkins will not be there at 61. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we took him at 39 if we made that trade. Hate the Rivers and Smart picks. We need CB's, not Safeties. With Smart, you're basically bringing in a guy who would be stashed behind Daniels and Ringo. Love the Conner pick; he's the grinder we need

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: