Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How many times is a double dip justified in this draft?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many times should packers double dip in
one
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
two
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
three
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 15

Author Message
Cadmus


Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 2108
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDGE

CB



RB
OL




Everything else.

I think the relative weakness of the OL class (just heard that an NFL scout said 2017 might be the worst OL group in the last decade) will likely prevent a double dip at that position.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaegybomb


Joined: 29 Apr 2016
Posts: 148
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We lost 2 OL so we have to replace the numbers somehow right? Whether the 2nd one is taken 6/7th round or UDFA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CentralFC


Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 11262
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikemike778 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
If ANY team lost it's starting 2 edge rushers, it's going to get dicey. That's a normal situation for the NFL.


If any team lost 2 starters in pretty much any position it gets dicey. Like CB last year. You have to build your roster to handle one player going down in a position. After that, its pretty much hope for the best.

-If Burnett and Ha Ha go down what do we do ? Brice and Evans ?
-If Nelson and Adam go down what do we do ? Start Geronimo ?
-If Bakh and Bulaga go down ...

You can't cover everything.


-We have Brice and Rollins
-We don't rotate receivers
-We don't rotate tackles; we drafted Spriggs (traded up for him, too)

Rotating your pass rushers is important. We lost two guys who combined for 1,132 snaps last season. One led our team in hits on the QB, the other was a an invaluable veteran presence.

Two more pass rushers would be a very wise investment.
_________________
Matts4313 wrote:
Those are the stats.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaegybomb


Joined: 29 Apr 2016
Posts: 148
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind snap numbers of the other guys were a bit inflated by Clay and Perry missing games and being dinged up but yea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cadmus


Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 2108
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaegybomb wrote:
We lost 2 OL so we have to replace the numbers somehow right? Whether the 2nd one is taken 6/7th round or UDFA.



Locks- Bakhtiari, Taylor, Linsley, Bulaga, Spriggs

Near Locks- Murphy, Barclay

Legitimate Shot- Patrick

Probably Not- McCray, Flores

I just don't see many opportunities to end up with 2 good players at the OL position in the 2017 NFL Draft unless you are willing to reach.


Add 1 DP and a few UDFAs to that group and you should be fine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaegybomb


Joined: 29 Apr 2016
Posts: 148
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't think there's that big of a distinction between a 6th/7th and UDFA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
squire12


Joined: 15 Mar 2013
Posts: 6393
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaegybomb wrote:
I just don't think there's that big of a distinction between a 6th/7th and UDFA.


From a "quality of the prospect", you are probably right. From a "guaranteed to be on your 90-man training camp roster", there is a very big difference.

The UDFA process is a free for all. Players/agents go to the teams that they feel will give them the best chance to make someone take notice and to make the 53-man roster.
_________________
Salary Cap Fantasy Football League
2016 Salary Cap League Rosters
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaegybomb


Joined: 29 Apr 2016
Posts: 148
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how do you get to "we absolutely need a UDFA guy but using a 7th to get our pick of one is a reach"?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cadmus


Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 2108
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaegybomb wrote:
so how do you get to "we absolutely need a UDFA guy but using a 7th to get our pick of one is a reach"?


Who said this?

The Packers can offer opportunity at the OL position. That alone will draw UDFAs to the team after the draft.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaegybomb


Joined: 29 Apr 2016
Posts: 148
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a decent point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
squire12


Joined: 15 Mar 2013
Posts: 6393
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:
Jaegybomb wrote:
so how do you get to "we absolutely need a UDFA guy but using a 7th to get our pick of one is a reach"?


Who said this?

The Packers can offer opportunity at the OL position. That alone will draw UDFAs to the team after the draft.


Just about every NFL team can offer opportunity at any position.

GB can stress the number of UDFA that make the 53-man roster each year.

Not sure if that is what you are meaning by "opportunity".
_________________
Salary Cap Fantasy Football League
2016 Salary Cap League Rosters
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cadmus


Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 2108
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squire12 wrote:
Cadmus wrote:
Jaegybomb wrote:
so how do you get to "we absolutely need a UDFA guy but using a 7th to get our pick of one is a reach"?


Who said this?

The Packers can offer opportunity at the OL position. That alone will draw UDFAs to the team after the draft.


Just about every NFL team can offer opportunity at any position.

GB can stress the number of UDFA that make the 53-man roster each year

Not sure if that is what you are meaning by "opportunity".


The fact that there are only 5 players at the OL position that are locks to make the roster.

What do you think happens if an UDFA performs at a level commensurate to Barclay in TC? Who do you think makes the roster? Our 2nd oldest OL or the young player they will have under contract for the next 3+ years?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaegybomb


Joined: 29 Apr 2016
Posts: 148
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they both make the roster and the kid starts Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
squire12


Joined: 15 Mar 2013
Posts: 6393
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:
squire12 wrote:
Cadmus wrote:
Jaegybomb wrote:
so how do you get to "we absolutely need a UDFA guy but using a 7th to get our pick of one is a reach"?


Who said this?

The Packers can offer opportunity at the OL position. That alone will draw UDFAs to the team after the draft.


Just about every NFL team can offer opportunity at any position.

GB can stress the number of UDFA that make the 53-man roster each year

Not sure if that is what you are meaning by "opportunity".


The fact that there are only 5 players at the OL position that are locks to make the roster.

What do you think happens if an UDFA performs at a level commensurate to Barclay in TC? Who do you think makes the roster? Our 2nd oldest OL or the young player they will have under contract for the next 3+ years?


Hard to say. THe UDFA would be PS eligible and Barclay would not.

Again, just about every team in the NFL can say the same thing about their OL. Not many teams will have 8 players as "locks" to make the 53-man roster.
_________________
Salary Cap Fantasy Football League
2016 Salary Cap League Rosters
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cadmus


Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 2108
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squire12 wrote:


Hard to say. THe UDFA would be PS eligible and Barclay would not.

Again, just about every team in the NFL can say the same thing about their OL. Not many teams will have 8 players as "locks" to make the 53-man roster.


Most teams have more draft capital invested in their OLs than we do right now.

Our 5 locks consist of a former UDFA and a 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th RD pick. Beyond that we have no other significant draft capital investments on the OL. The Packers don't have another 1st-4th RD pick at OL on the roster that comes with a significant leash. That's about as "open" as you can get in the NFL.

The Packers also have none of their IOL under contract past 2017.

You were correct about Green Bay's reputation being another huge pull. If I were an agent for a guy like Nick Callender, Thomas Evans, or Connor Bozick and they have an offer from Green Bay why wouldn't that be considered a Top 3-5 destination?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group