You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Can someone explain to me why Jabrill Peppers can't play CB?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooters22

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Can someone explain to me why Jabrill Peppers can't play CB? Reply with quote

Ok, Jabrill Peppers played corner back coming out of high school and was one of the top recruits in the nation coming into Michigan. So he played that position. Now four years later he really isn't getting looked at as a corner back and I just don't get why. He has the body and speed for it. Can his hips really be that bad or his footwork? He's played the position. He has a nose for the football. He has a great football IQ. He's as gifted of a athlete as they come yet nobody is talking about him as a corner in this years draft. The Packers of all teams should be looking at him as a corner. That's a position of need for them. They, like most other teams don't have a true position in mind for him. They classify him as a safety, nickleback, third down linebacker, punt and kick returner, wide receiver and possible running back. But not corner. I look at him and see corner. I don't know why he stopped playing corner at Michigan. I've thought of this time and time again. It's such a important position and he's such a great athlete. I just don't get it. Can someone give me some insight?
wgbeethree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer: He's not good in coverage.

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
cooters22

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgbeethree wrote:

I get what you are saying but it's not that simple to me. I guess if he has the speed he can play it. So why isn't he good in coverage? Is it coaching? If so let's coach him up. They say he's smart so I doubt he puts himself in bad positions, but if so that is learning on his part. Or isn't he as smart as what they are saying. Sorta of liberally hiding that he isn't smart but say it so they don't come off as racist by saying so. Studying, let's get him help there. No matter what anyone says he has the body for the part, there has to be a way to play him there. What can be done? It honestly perplexes me. I look at him and see corner. I can't be the only one?
Stevein2012

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooters22 wrote:
wgbeethree wrote:

I get what you are saying but it's not that simple to me. I guess if he has the speed he can play it. So why isn't he good in coverage? Is it coaching? If so let's coach him up. They say he's smart so I doubt he puts himself in bad positions, but if so that is learning on his part. Or isn't he as smart as what they are saying. Sorta of liberally hiding that he isn't smart but say it so they don't come off as racist by saying so. Studying, let's get him help there. No matter what anyone says he has the body for the part, there has to be a way to play him there. What can be done? It honestly perplexes me. I look at him and see corner. I can't be the only one?

Why not just use a later round pick on a smart fast guy and coach them up?
cooters22

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevein2012 wrote:
cooters22 wrote:
wgbeethree wrote:

Well that's what they do with the later round picks. Select a guy for one reason or another and hope for the best.

Does anybody else get what I'm trying to say? He supposedly has the all pro skills, why can't he use them on the field?
Cadmus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't have the hips to play CB in the NFL.

It's really that simple.
BlondeonBlonde

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:

It's really that simple.

What are your thoughts about him otherwise? Seems like he's the type of player that Capers could find a way to utilize in his sub-packages.
Stevein2012

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooters22 wrote:
Stevein2012 wrote:
cooters22 wrote:
wgbeethree wrote:

Well that's what they do with the later round picks. Select a guy for one reason or another and hope for the best.

Does anybody else get what I'm trying to say? He supposedly has the all pro skills, why can't he use them on the field?

Yeah the point was there are a lot more complex factors to whether a guy can play a position or not than if he has the speed and coaching. Some guys just aren't that good at things.
Cadmus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlondeonBlonde wrote:
Cadmus wrote:

It's really that simple.

What are your thoughts about him otherwise? Seems like he's the type of player that Capers could find a way to utilize in his sub-packages.

In terms of what... how he would fit in Green Bay?

I think Dom would love to have him as a versatile chess piece on defense, but I'm not sure I see that happening just because you have a number of players already on the roster that can offer you something similar (I'm not suggesting that any can perform same level of Peppers).

This team needs more players that have serious upside at EDGE and CB.

Last edited by Cadmus on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
vegas492

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:

It's really that simple.

Add that comment with his lack of coverage skills and that is why.

I'll add one more. What he does best is flow to the ball. What he does least is cover. So, if you are going to draft the kid, use him where he is strong.

I think as a 4-3 weakside backer he could be good. Or a safety that comes into the box often.
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What this defense needs is a playmaker. Jokes aside, it's true. I was so excited in the first week of the season when Joe Thomas had that interception because I went into full hype mode thinking he was going to have that kind of season. Didn't happen.

Randall - Maybe when he's healthy.
Burnett - More reliable and consistent than playmaker.
Clinton-Dix - Closest to one we have I think.
Perry - He's now the closest we have to one in the front 7.
Matthews - Only a playmaker these days if he converts to ILB.
Brice - He's got potential to be one and he's my biggest Janis going into next season.

If Peppers can create turnovers and be a player that offenses have to gameplan for, I want him and I don't care what position or positions he plays at.

More than corner or pass rusher or talent or anything, the one thing I want added to this defense is that Charles Woodson vibe from a player. Maybe it's just the Michigan offensive defender vibe connection, but I would be ecstatic if we drafted Peppers.
vegas492

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
What this defense needs is a playmaker. Jokes aside, it's true. I was so excited in the first week of the season when Joe Thomas had that interception because I went into full hype mode thinking he was going to have that kind of season. Didn't happen.

Brice - He's got potential to be one and he's my biggest Janis going into next season.

If Peppers can create turnovers and be a player that offenses have to gameplan for, I want him and I don't care what position or positions he plays at.

More than corner or pass rusher or talent or anything, the one thing I want added to this defense is that Charles Woodson vibe from a player.
Maybe it's just the Michigan offensive defender vibe connection, but I would be ecstatic if we drafted Peppers.

Kid didn't create turnovers in college. He doesn't have awareness or ball skills like Woodson.

If you want him to be a playmaker that makes game changing plays, well, maybe he's that on special teams, or as a running back.

I think the hype train got on him pretty hard because of what he could do with the ball in his hands. On defense, though, the ball didn't really find his hands.

He's no Honey Badger in that regard.
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
Cadmus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:

More than corner or pass rusher or talent or anything, the one thing I want added to this defense is that Charles Woodson vibe from a player. Maybe it's just the Michigan offensive defender vibe connection, but I would be ecstatic if we drafted Peppers.

I think we have 2 players on the roster that have the potential to be future starters at safety beyond Burnett and Clinton-Dix, neither is Brice.

I think Brice can be a good 3rd/utility safety, but I don't see a starter skillset to be honest. He's solid against run, but he can get exposed in coverage and I don't see that changing.
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegas492 wrote:
Kid didn't create turnovers in college. He doesn't have awareness or ball skills like Woodson.

That's upsetting. I don't watch college football, so I just go off what people tell me. The way people talk about him it's like he has 97 turnovers in a single defensive series.
DraftHobbyist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
vegas492 wrote:

That's upsetting. I don't watch college football, so I just go off what people tell me. The way people talk about him it's like he has 97 turnovers in a single defensive series.

You can always check the stats of a player on CFBStats. Here are the stats for Jabrill Peppers: http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/player/418/1063867/index.html

He played Offense, Defense, and Special Teams in college. You have to wonder if he would've played and understood the Defense better had he only concentrated on the Defense.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: