You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Free Agents v3.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegas492

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
TJ rationalized his choice AFTER the fact, same as most humans would do
But before the money became an issue, in his heart of hearts he declared with great certainty " that everybody knows this ( GB) is where I want to be"

Money was the ONLY reason he and his agent picked Detroit and he rationalized it after the fact by saying Detroit doesn't really suck that bad. But they do. Its a crappy franchise that will be lucky to make one playoff game during his time there. Scan their schedule and let me know where you see 10 wins for 2017.
http://www.detroitlions.com/schedule-and-events/

Thanks for your well-reasoned responses Vegas, I've made my point and you made yours.

I wish TJ all the best and hope his burgeoning bank balance buys all the happiness that winning football games used to bring him... Cool

I dig you man, always have, and you know that. On this we disagree, and that is okay in my book.

I'll leave you with this...from TJ as posted before...it wasn't just money

"That was something that I知 sure will be brought out over time," he said. "I値l let other people handle that. I値l let my agent handle that. It was something Detroit, with all things considered, not only just the offer, but all things considered, was just really a no-brainer in my mind."

Key words,[b] all things considered
. Team success, hometown team...family. It's a good spot for him. It shouldn't be surprising that if he wasn't going to be in GB, he'd go home.
[/i][/b]
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegas492 wrote:
Shanedorf wrote:
TJ rationalized his choice AFTER the fact, same as most humans would do
But before the money became an issue, in his heart of hearts he declared with great certainty " that everybody knows this ( GB) is where I want to be"

Money was the ONLY reason he and his agent picked Detroit and he rationalized it after the fact by saying Detroit doesn't really suck that bad. But they do. Its a crappy franchise that will be lucky to make one playoff game during his time there. Scan their schedule and let me know where you see 10 wins for 2017.
http://www.detroitlions.com/schedule-and-events/

Thanks for your well-reasoned responses Vegas, I've made my point and you made yours.

I wish TJ all the best and hope his burgeoning bank balance buys all the happiness that winning football games used to bring him... Cool

I dig you man, always have, and you know that. On this we disagree, and that is okay in my book.

I'll leave you with this...from TJ as posted before...it wasn't just money

"That was something that I知 sure will be brought out over time," he said. "I値l let other people handle that. I値l let my agent handle that. It was something Detroit, with all things considered, not only just the offer, but all things considered, was just really a no-brainer in my mind."

Key words,[b] all things considered
. Team success, hometown team...family. It's a good spot for him. It shouldn't be surprising that if he wasn't going to be in GB, he'd go home.
[/i][/b]

This doesn't seem to be Wayne Fontes' Lions anymore. I can see a player--especially one with local connections--wanting to be part of a team on the rise.

The money was great...and a million dollars spends pretty quick these days. You have to see that fans have an emotional attachment to a team that is very different from a player's emotional attachment to teammates and coaches. Look, Sitton was axed in the snap of a finger. Loyalty goes both ways, and sometimes loyalty is a luxury that the team can't afford. Why should it be different for the player?
fattlipp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Hardy?

we need a 3rd rusher......
he would be cheap
2nd chance?, 3rd chance,?
skibrett15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone see the kirk cousins/washington public negotiations going on?

Wash came out and said they offered 53 mil GTD, 72 for injury, 2nd highest paid per year in salary.

Do you think it's ANY coincidence that his current salary under the tag (abt 24 mil) plus his salary x 120% (what it would be if this was only his 2nd year under the tag) equals the GTD money?

His actual tagged cap hit next year will be 144% of 24 mil, which is 34.56 million, a full 10 mil above what Derek Carr got on his deal.

I don't think any team in the NFL wants to see what will happen to the QB market if cousins actually prices himself out of the tag next year and hits true free agency. QB salaries are being artificially depressed, and it just takes one to milk it for all he's potentially worth while assuming the injury risk that comes with the tag.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skibrett15 wrote:

Wash came out and said they offered 53 mil GTD, 72 for injury, 2nd highest paid per year in salary.

Do you think it's ANY coincidence that his current salary under the tag (abt 24 mil) plus his salary x 120% (what it would be if this was only his 2nd year under the tag) equals the GTD money?

Our old buddy Andrew Brandt has written about this in recent times at SI
I'd link to the story but SI changed their web format today and now its just another A.D.D. clusterfark.

Essentially, Cousins agent uses those exact numbers as a starting point for the future deal- its part of their leverage.
So, no its not a coincidence, its how they shape future deals with currently- tagged players.
blankman0021

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fattlipp wrote:
Greg Hardy?

he would be cheap

Never in a million years will he play for GB. Dude is a straight locker room cancer, turns teammates against each other, and is a wildcard as a human being. Sometimes you need to look past the Madden stats and think about the fit. And there absolutely isn't one there.
blankman0021

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:

I'd link to the story but SI changed their web format today and now its just another A.D.D. clusterfark.

Essentially, Cousins agent uses those exact numbers as a starting point for the future deal- its part of their leverage.
So, no its not a coincidence, its how they shape future deals with currently- tagged players.

Cousins needs to go for broke at this point. Create the most leverage possible. Next year he'll likely get the transition tag. Can't remember if there's an exclusive version of it or not, but if it's ROFR, then the team (cough SF cough) will need to outbid Wash.

Can't help but feel as tho Rodgers is waiting for that domino to drop. Reallllly hoping he goes the Brady way and plays for under top dollar to get the team to the championships. If we throw $30M his way I just don't see how we keep much of the roster. At the same time he's earned it.
BlondeonBlonde

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
Shanedorf wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:

Cousins needs to go for broke at this point. Create the most leverage possible. Next year he'll likely get the transition tag. Can't remember if there's an exclusive version of it or not, but if it's ROFR, then the team (cough SF cough) will need to outbid Wash.

Can't help but feel as tho Rodgers is waiting for that domino to drop. Reallllly hoping he goes the Brady way and plays for under top dollar to get the team to the championships. If we throw $30M his way I just don't see how we keep much of the roster. At the same time he's earned it.

With the way TT runs the team, Rodgers salary will never be an issue.
CWood21

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlondeonBlonde wrote:
With the way TT runs the team, Rodgers salary will never be an issue.

As long as his contract is healthy, I could care less what we're paying him. And I don't think Ted or Aaron would create a contract that wasn't healthy.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodgers comments on the topic offer a hint
He said he noted that some other QBs were getting a larger % of the cap and that's what they will address in the next deal.
Rather than guessing, they'll tie it to the actual cap growth and keep the % the same

But, its not without some risk. The cap has risen at an incredible rate recently- but that growth rate won't continue for the next 7 years. The new CBA and the new TV deals will happen in the middle of Rodgers extension and its not a forgone conclusion that he'd get the very best deal by tying it to a percentage of the cap and its future growth rate.

If you remember, last time around the new CBA provided lower or flat caps in the first years of the new labor deal. The league and the NFLPA had to do some serious gyrations to make it all palatable in 2011/12/13. Those cap years were $120, $120.6 and $123 Million respectively. Not much growth there.

That % of the cap strategy is fine for GB because you are matching income/outlay and staying cap-neutral. But it may or may not be the best move for Aaron

Either way GB is going to write him a very large check for the signing bonus
skibrett15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:

Yeah, that was what I was hinting at. His real leverage right now is 35 +24= 59 over the first 2 years. This is what happens when players decide they don't need to personally take a financial hit for injury risk.

Cousins is definitely leaving Washington. He's not the best qb, but he'll be the best QB to hit Free Agency since... Drew Brees?
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skibrett15 wrote:

Cousins is definitely leaving Washington. He's not the best qb, but he'll be the best QB to hit Free Agency since... Drew Brees?

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:

I can't tell if I am mad or happy you didn't post the meme one
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
fattlipp wrote:
Greg Hardy?

he would be cheap

Never in a million years will he play for GB. Dude is a straight locker room cancer, turns teammates against each other, and is a wildcard as a human being. Sometimes you need to look past the Madden stats and think about the fit. And there absolutely isn't one there.

...and he has no fit in this defense either.
fattlipp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
blankman0021 wrote:
fattlipp wrote:
Greg Hardy?

he would be cheap

...and he has no fit in this defense either.

hmm,

he could take JPep's role I think...situational pass rusher....
but yeah he is a cancer, but for 1mil/yr might be worth a risk w/ a short leash

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: