You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Free Agents v3.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only is it home for TJ, if you follow him on twitter, he is a very big Red Wings fan. I imagine it will be easier to get to games if he is in Detroit.

He won't regret that at all. A ton more money, and closer to family. He already had his ring. And the Lions are the second best team in the division and made the playoffs. He isn't joining the 0-16 Lions.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

Shanedorf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an interesting debate to consider, glad to see more than one post a day here at FF. Cool

Here is what Dan Orlovky ( former Lion ) said on the topic:
The Lions made Johnson the highest-paid receiver in NFL history, but Orlovsky said itís understandable if the money wasnít enough for Johnson to tolerate losing.

ďSports are fun when you win. Period. When your greatness is covered by your teamsí lack of it effects you immensely Orlovsky wrote.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Jennings took his Ring and chose Mo' Money
How did that work out for the rest of his career ?
CentralFC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with Shanedorf throughout this entire dialogue.

Winning trumps everything. Money is key, but the title sets you up for life in ways you can't imagine. Assuming there's not some colossal gap, the difference in utility is minimal between a few million or hundred thousand dollars. Hoisting a Lombardi makes the 20+ years of practice worth the investment and the physical destruction which it requires. There's lifelong value in that accomplishment that you can't necessarily quantify.

This is only if you love the game. If you're a guy like Lacy, it just doesn't matter much.

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
vegas492

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
Its an interesting debate to consider, glad to see more than one post a day here at FF. Cool

Here is what Dan Orlovky ( former Lion ) said on the topic:
The Lions made Johnson the highest-paid receiver in NFL history, but Orlovsky said itís understandable if the money wasnít enough for Johnson to tolerate losing.

ďSports are fun when you win. Period. When your greatness is covered by your teamsí lack of it effects you immensely Orlovsky wrote.

As stated above...Lang HAS ALREADY WON. He has a Super Bowl ring. The Lions were in the playoffs last year.

Johnson doesn't have a ring and played on terrible teams.

You think he wouldn't play for league minimum to be in New England or maybe even GB? This guy would like to win for a change.

Lang has already won. It just isn't a good player comparison.

As far as Jennings goes? He seemed pretty happy to me to be out of Green Bay. Did leaving GB hurt his career? Absolutely. His career stats and most WR stats will be tied to the QB's that they play for. He didn't really understand that. But, he had his ring and took the bigger payday.
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
vegas492

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why isn't Hyde in this conversation?
He went from wining in GB, although he has no Super Bowl ring, to signing a big bucks deal in Buffalo. He's not getting a Super Bowl there, maybe he should have gone to TT and asked for a 3 year, $6M deal, you know, because he loves winning so much.
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegas492 wrote:

As stated above...Lang HAS ALREADY WON. He has a Super Bowl ring.

Yeah, most guys are happy with just one. I hear it all the time from NFL players after they win a Title

"Yeah, one Ring is really fine for me, I have no desire to win another"

When kicker Adam Vinitieri was asked which of his Titles was his favorite, he replied:

"The next one"

And the original version of that quote dates back to the 60's Packers.
vegas492

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
vegas492 wrote:

As stated above...Lang HAS ALREADY WON. He has a Super Bowl ring.

Yeah, most guys are happy with just one. I hear it all the time from NFL players after they win a Title

"Yeah, one Ring is really fine for me, I have no desire to win another"

When kicker Adam Vinitieri was asked which of his Titles was his favorite, he replied:

"The next one"

And the original version of that quote dates back to the 60's Packers.

When was the last time the Lions were in the playoffs?
When was the last time Green Bay was in the playoffs?

Shanedorf, both teams were "winners" last year. I'd concede that GB went farther and has the better chance at duplicating success in 2017. But suggesting that Detroit is as bad as their older teams that Calvin played for just isn't an accurate statement.

Again, trying to draw the comparison between Calving Johnson and TJ Lang just doesn't work.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks vegas, but riddle me this one:

Q: When was the last time the Lions won a playoff game ?
A: 1991... That's 25 effing years. TJ was 4 years old at the time !

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/

I'm not drawing a comparison between Calvin and TJ - I am offering direct quotes from former players and former Lions about what's really important to them.
And it ain't mo money or tix to see the Red Wings

If you think the Lions are an actual Title threat in 2017, then its a golden opportunity to make some serious cash, you can get 50:1 in Vegas, Vegas. Cool
http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/futures/

TJ can make whatever choice suits him, but choices have consequences And in every January/February for the rest of his career, he will face that reality.
I highly doubt his bank balance will assuage those feelings of lament.
GoPackGo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting his hometown team that he loved growing up a playoff victory may be a huge goal for him. After all, like you said, it's been 25 years since they've had one. We can't read his mind.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoPackGo wrote:
We can't read his mind.

Indeed, but we donít have to be psychic to see him crying on the sidelines after the NFCCG as he contemplated his final game in GB
Here's what he said at the time:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/01/22/tj-lang-free-agency-want-back/96936812/

"For a Pro Bowl guard who becomes a free agent this spring, the possibility of playing for anyone other than the team that drafted him in the fourth round eight years ago was wrenching. So Lang grabbed a towel and cried."

ďThatís the first thing going through my mind after I hurt my foot again,Ē Lang said. ďIím just hoping it wasnít the last time I get to put on that helmet. Itís tough, man. Obviously, Iíll take some time, take a couple days, to rest up and recover and see what happens. I think everybody in this locker room knows that this is where I want to be.Ē

The Packers 2017 signing bonus alone would have generated $200k in after- tax dollars /year for the rest of his life without ever touching the principal. Add in the 2017 salary and itís even more, to say nothing of the $34 million he's already earned.

The NFL has changed due to the immense growth in revenue
Money isn't scarce anymore; winning, camaraderie and trophies are... Cool
vegas492

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
Thanks vegas, but riddle me this one:

Q: When was the last time the Lions won a playoff game ?
A: 1991... That's 25 effing years. TJ was 4 years old at the time !

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/

I'm not drawing a comparison between Calvin and TJ - I am offering direct quotes from former players and former Lions about what's really important to them.
And it ain't mo money or tix to see the Red Wings

If you think the Lions are an actual Title threat in 2017, then its a golden opportunity to make some serious cash, you can get 50:1 in Vegas, Vegas. Cool
http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/futures/

TJ can make whatever choice suits him, but choices have consequences And in every January/February for the rest of his career, he will face that reality.
I highly doubt his bank balance will assuage those feelings of lament.

Yah, I pretty much offered up that concession earlier, thanks for noticing. But here's the FACT, the Lions were in the playoffs last year. So were the Packers. TJ didn't go to Browns, he went to a playoff team that happens to be his "hometown" team.

Yes, you love to throw quotes out there and try to put your own spin on what they mean. I know you don't see it that way, but you do.

In fact, you mentioned Jennings, here's one for yah....figure out what he means when he says... ďWhen youíve won one, there is no regret,Ē Jennings said.

That was his response when asked about winning one title with Aaron Rodgers.

For those that haven't seen the article (he bashes Mac pretty good), here's the link.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/12/greg-jennings-bashes-packers-coach-mike-mccarthy/

I think it is pretty clear that winning isn't as important to some as it is to others. The NFL is a business first. We fans get more caught up in the winning and the Super Bowls.

Last edited by vegas492 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
vegas492

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:
We can't read his mind.

Indeed, but we donít have to be psychic to see him crying on the sidelines after the NFCCG as he contemplated his final game in GB
Here's what he said at the time:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/01/22/tj-lang-free-agency-want-back/96936812/

"For a Pro Bowl guard who becomes a free agent this spring, the possibility of playing for anyone other than the team that drafted him in the fourth round eight years ago was wrenching. So Lang grabbed a towel and cried."

ďThatís the first thing going through my mind after I hurt my foot again,Ē Lang said. ďIím just hoping it wasnít the last time I get to put on that helmet. Itís tough, man. Obviously, Iíll take some time, take a couple days, to rest up and recover and see what happens. I think everybody in this locker room knows that this is where I want to be.Ē

The Packers 2017 signing bonus alone would have generated $200k in after- tax dollars /year for the rest of his life without ever touching the principal. Add in the 2017 salary and itís even more, to say nothing of the $34 million he's already earned.

The NFL has changed due to the immense growth in revenue
Money isn't scarce anymore; winning, camaraderie and trophies are... Cool

Why would a man who loved GB pass up playing here, at any cost, to join another team? Why in the world would that happen? The man was broken down into tears, confessing that he didn't want this to be the end in Green Bay. Yet he had the decision to make, TT offered him a deal. He didn't take it. Instead he took the Lions deal. Why again? Why would he put himself through that much anguish?

$$$$$

It isn't that hard to understand. Money talks. He isn't going to regret anything if he doesn't have another ring. At least not as much as he would have regretted all those extra zeros in his bank account.

Here's another quote, from TJ himself.

When asked about the Packers' offer, Lang laughed softly.

"That was something that Iím sure will be brought out over time," he said. "Iíll let other people handle that. Iíll let my agent handle that. It was something Detroit, with all things considered, not only just the offer, but all things considered, was just really a no-brainer in my mind."

This was when he was discussing the GB offer that he turned down. No-Brainer.

Here's the link.
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/03/12/tj-lang-ready-make-decision/99091908/

I'll dig another out of there (this really is fun).

"Lang had solid offers from the Lions and Seattle Seahawks, but the Packers refused to match them and Lang decided he could be happy playing for the team he followed growing up in the Detroit suburbs. He said it ended up being an easy choice because he thought the Lions were an up-and-coming team and believed in him as a player."

He views them as up and coming. Not a loser franchise like what Megatron had to deal with.
Siman08/OH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Greg Jennings. Trashes our 2 HOF QBS. Trashes our coach. Left for our biggest rival at the time. And he SUCKED and couldn't walk the walk.

But i just watched a video of every 40 yard TD pass Rodgers ever threw, and it seems like the first 20 were to Greg. Alot over 60 yards. Woulda been nice to keep him around a few more years to form a 1-2 with Nelson. They woulda been historically great. Hate him even more now.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ rationalized his choice AFTER the fact, same as most humans would do
But before the money became an issue, in his heart of hearts he declared with great certainty " that everybody knows this ( GB) is where I want to be"

Money was the ONLY reason he and his agent picked Detroit and he rationalized it after the fact by saying Detroit doesn't really suck that bad. But they do. Its a crappy franchise that will be lucky to make one playoff game during his time there. Scan their schedule and let me know where you see 10 wins for 2017.
http://www.detroitlions.com/schedule-and-events/

Thanks for your well-reasoned responses Vegas, I've made my point and you made yours.

I wish TJ all the best and hope his burgeoning bank balance buys all the happiness that winning football games used to bring him... Cool

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: