Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

IbleedBlue Mock Draft 4/5
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IbleedBLUE24

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: IbleedBlue Mock Draft 4/5 Reply with quote

Not my ideal mock scenario, but rather my guess at what will actually happen.

1. LB Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt

Bypassing my personal favorite still available TE David Njoku, fan favorite position OT Ryan Ramcyzk (Garrett Bolles to Indy at #14, Cam Robinson to Balt #16, OG/T Forrest Lamp to Miami at pick #22), QB’s DeShone Kizer and DeShaun Watson (Trubisky selected #11 by NO, , Mahomes to Cardinals at #13 [my other favorite]) the Giants take a LB for the future as all their expected starters at LB are on their last year of contracts, and with Pugh/Richburg/OBJ all do raises/extensions next offseason, a cheap LB is what is sorely needed for this defense going forward. Snacks, OV, JPP, Jackrabbit, Collins, Apple and Adams/Thompson make up a young nucleus of potential pro-bowlers, but one thing is clearly missing. That is a force from the second level. Fans feel like an approach of Keenan Robinson and BJ Goodson should be good enough, but what about season 2018 once Robinson is gone? So too is Casillas and Kennard?

As for the player, Cunningham to me is Reese guy at #23, and will likely get all the way there. With 5 (including all 3 projected starters) LB’s being UFA's next offseason it is impossible to ignore the LB position. JR may double up on this position with a late round project/flyer pick. Cunningham presents the Giants with a potential 3 down green dot MLB. BJ Goodson the future 2 down run thumping SLB (Kennard a pending UFA and potential position switch to DE with OO being crazy/unproductive). With Andrew Adams and Landon Collins on the roster Spags can switch to a more hybrid 4-2-5 front where DRC and Adams rotate on and off the field as the 5th DB depending on personnel. Casillas and Robinson, both of whom I like as players, would likely platoon at WLB with Cunningham being selected. With Snacks and Landon Collins (the best at their positions vs. the run) and OV/JPP (the best run stuffing DE's in the league who are also elite pass rush threats) the Giants are already hard to run against. Add in an aggressive LB the likes of Cunningham and it will be near impossible to run against them. JR is right for looking closely at Cunningham.

Giants get ahead of the curve of their roster/ salary cap limitations by getting what JR views as their playmaker from that second level. Part of winning the NFC East is having the defense that can shut down the high power QB’s and their offenses within the division. Wentz is the real deal and with Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith to go along with Ertz/Jordan Matthews (RB from this draft too) that offense should make a huge leap forward next year. HUGE. Dak (also the real deal), Dez and Zeke (Emmitt Smith kind of over rated, but he is good) will continue to do great things behind what is hands down the best offensive line in football (can that defense be saved after losing almost its entire secondary? [last years strength for an otherwise pedestrian grouping on D]). Washington well they continue to do Washington-esque things. They took the best aerial assault and bludgeoned it this offseason by not giving Cousins a long term extension. “Trade” Garcon and Jackson for Pryor at the WR depth chart, I can understand that, but sign the QB that makes your offense run extremely well and continue to be players in the NFC/NFL. Or don’t, and create a mess of rumors and headaches; and likely end up 3-13 while you trade Cousins next offseason to SF where he wins a title. You had a good thing Washington. Alright back to the Giants, you win the NFC East with Eli as QB by having the #1 or #2 defense in the league. Last year they were close, here’s another piece to help them get there.

2. RB D’Onta Foreman, Texas

I spent the vast majority of the offseason talking against taking backs such as Foreman and McCafferey so much that it feels a little confusing to me to be taking Foreman here, especially since they signed Reuben Draughn from SF. This isn’t my ideal mock, but rather the way I see the draft going given JR past tendencies and information available this year. Foreman presents a unique blend of size and speed that surely will interest Jerry Reese. With Jennings gone, and Perkins becoming the prominent back Foreman is coming into a good situation as he won’t be expected to carry the load from day one. However, McAdoo seemed more than willing to feed the ball to rookies (or let Spags play rookies) than TC so Foreman can dictate his load. He won’t beat out Perkins in my opinion as I like Perkins a lot. Very elusive and shifty, and his ability to side step east and west and gain 5 yards is crazy. Did that at UCLA, did it last year expect it to continue. He should be the “main” guy going forward, but there is enough snaps for 2 guys. Right now guy #2 for the Giants is not guaranteed to be on the roster. Foreman compliments Perkins well in the long term for that role as he has size that none of the current backs do. Despite the size though he doesn't lack on speed. In the short term veteran Shane Vereen (last year of contract though, and coming off injuries) presents his competition for carries. McAdoo wasn’t around for the 3 head rushing attacks of yesteryear (AB, Jacobs, Derrick Ward) so it may not work out to have 3 RB getting touches so let the competition in training camp be on. Orleans Darkwa also presents a hurdle, but he certainly isn’t entrenched into any carries; he will have to earn his too. Same can be said for Draughn despite him being signed.

3. TE Jake Butt, Michigan

Many fans are clamoring for the likes of Sydney Jones here, but Achilles take some time to recover from if you ever do. It’s that last part that may cause him to slip to day 3. Instead of one injured player the Giants take a different injured player. Only a knee injury is far more common, and easier in theory to overcome than an Achilles. Despite signing Ellison the Giants don’t have a 3 down starting TE on the roster (unless Jerell Adams makes a huge leap his sophomore year) so Butt in the 3rd makes sense. He may not contribute early in the season, but November/December/January he should be a nice weapon to be “getting back” so to speak, and then as a Sophomore should take control of the starting TE spot. The Giants have met a lot with TE prospects so don’t expect Ellison (who really took over Will Johnson spot) to prevent JR from taking a TE again this year. Butt pre-injury is likely a high second round pick so this is good value as well.

4. K Zane Gonzalez, Arizona State

Aldrick Rosas is said to have an extremely powerful leg, but I think that JR will jump on Gonzalez if he last this long. Roberto Aguayo went round 2 (then sucked as a rookie so much that TB signed Folk). Gonzalez, the career NCAA leader in FG’s, isn’t likely to go as high (although he is the better kicker) given that a K on day 1 or 2 isn’t the norm, but come round 4 anybody needing a kicker should discuss him as he likely won’t get passed many in the 5th round.

5. S/LB Lorezo Jerome, San Francis University (PA)

Who?? Sounds like I hit the nail right on the head then when it comes to JR 5th round selections (except for Perkins last year, I knew his name). A little more understandable than JR propensity to miss on round 3 guys, but Mykkele Thompson (2015), Nat Berhe (2014) and Devon Kennard (2014) were both unknown guys too really, Cooper Taylor (2013), Mitch Petrus (2010), Rhett Bomar (2009), Jonathon Goff (2008) all being guys I think most people had as UDFA guys. Maybe not Petrus who benched 45 reps at the combine, but before that was a low round/UDFA G prospect. His best selection so far has to have been Kevin Boss out of Western Oregon (2007). Perkins can change that, but Boss is another no name guy in the 5th. He just happened to pan out. Lorenzo Jerome is my late round flyer pick on a LB who is not really a LB. At 5”11” 204lbs and short arms and smaller hands he is not exactly the first guy you’d suggest being a Linebacker, heck probably not even at Safety given he ran a slow 40 time. Again however, with offenses getting more aerial he may actually be just the guy you want for the role. He next to Cunningham with Landon Collins and Darien Thompson/Andrew Adams in the secondary the middle of the field just got a whole lot tougher to throw against. Jackrabbit and Eli Apple (should be a good player with hiccups so I was wrong for hating the pick, but I still wanted Hargreaves there) make it hard to throw outside already, but the Giants still struggle to cover TE’s. Jerome was a ball hawk down in Mobile, Alabama at the Senior Bowl too. Much like Berhe with his lack of size JR eschews that for what he sees on tape, which is a football player. Could compete with Berhe/Thompson/Justin Currie for the 4th safety spot, but is likely a practice squad player his rookie year while he tries to transition to that pseudo-linebacker role in the NFL.

6. QB CJ Beathard, Iowa

I personally like Mahomes the best, but after him it’s a crap shoot. They all have good qualities, but none are worth the price of admission so to speak (first roundwise, IMO. Day 2 sure.) I like Beathard the best of the day 3 guys so to get him in the 6th would be a steal in my opinion. He’s not sexy, but is a gritty competitor who can make the throws. Could be like a Shaun Hill type. Likely sticks to the roster as the 3rd QB (which I think McAdoo prefers instead of carrying just 2) while Geno Smith and Josh Johnson both compete for the primary back up spot and the loser back to free agency.

7. CB Boise Ross, Buffalo

A no name late round DB from a small school is something JR has done previously. A few times. Twice in one draft actually. I think with the top 3 set, and Deayon and Michael Hunter back (PS players last year) and the signing Blake in the offseason, JR and the Giants will feel pretty comfortable about their DB situation, but this is really more like a priority UDFA than a draft choice. Take the gamble. I went to UB so that is why I went with Ross here. Was a great corner for UB. Could actually make the team with a strong training camp and ST play in preseason, but is likely a PS player with development potential.
bucsEST96

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it but prepare yourself, you're about to be chewed out for no OL.
New LT [ ]
Micha Hyde[ ]
Dontrelle Inman [ ]
Calais Campbell [ ]
Malcolm Smith [ ]
Mike Gillislee[ ]
Gmen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was pretty shocked we went defense in the first round last year considering the money we dished out in free agency. I would be even more shocked if we do it again this year.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
reckless123

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
Was pretty shocked we went defense in the first round last year considering the money we dished out in free agency. I would be even more shocked if we do it again this year.

I wouldn't be shocked. The value just isn't there for offense, particularly for the OL.

"I'm not in danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
w4rrior723

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like this mock a lot. You hit virtually all of our needs in the first 4 rounds (aside from OL, but more on that later). I've been pulling for TE/RB in the first two rounds. But I like your approach of going LB first since this draft is deep for both TE and RB therefore we can find nice value a little later.

As for OL. There is no point in taking one if we miss out on Bolles or Ramzcyk. Anyone else would just be mediocre depth, which we already have enough of. Only point in going OL would be to upgrade starting RG or one of the Ts. Otherwise it's a wasted draft pick.
mattbags2313

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reallllllly want foreman
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of taking a kicker that high. Especially if there is a good DT/LB there.

Also, curious as to your thoughts for Cunningham over Jarrad Davis?
w4rrior723

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
Not a fan of taking a kicker that high. Especially if there is a good DT/LB there.

How often do 4th round OL/LB become starters? 1/20 at best. A 4th round kicker is most likely a good prospect and will most likely win the job and be one of the team leaders in points. Especially now that XPs are no longer guarantees, a good kicker has become much more valuable. Our mid round LB and OL never do crap.
IbleedBLUE24

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:

Basically what warrior said about the kicker part. As fpr Cunningham over Davis. Better length, more versatility, younger, better injury history, had a combine visit and JR went to his pro day (with Reese where this is smoke there is fire), and admittingly so this is a wild guesstimate but being a Vanderbilt guy smarter, and watching the tape I think Football IQ wise he is smarter too. Davis has killer speed, but that hitting style will hurt him as he will likely miss a ton of games with injuries. Plus I don't think he can be good in coverage despite his speed. Comes back to the football IQ part. Plus with Florida D he can roam free. Cunningham was targeted by an o-line guy every run play still made the tackles. Davis in the second, ok. In the first, not so much. For me that is.
IbleedBLUE24

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:

It's still not a finished product. JR has to think short and long term. Who are our linebackers next year?
njLawman5016

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see Cunningham in the first, but I think that is where the likelihood ends.

I am not JR, but Sunday night we will have drafted at least 1 OL.

I think they already have their rookie unproven kicker on the roster and wont draft one.

I like the flyer/wager on Butt.

Your draft is well thought out and logical for many of our needs. I would just be floored with no OL.

Good job though on the other picks. I think you have Foreman right. Unless we sign Blount, we will draft a RB
WiscoBlue21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of Cunningham..missed way too many tackles in college and is very slim for the position. I look at the guy and I see Clint Sintim all over again. If Reddick, Njoku, Howard, Bolles, Ramczyk, Robinson are all gone then just go BPA like Peppers, Taco, McDowell..anyone but Cunningham.
njLawman5016

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the Sintim comparison.

I am just buying into the thought process that we really need a LB this year because few are signed after this year, and the argument could be made that a standout LB could put us over the top on defense.

But watch......JR will go with a CB in Round 1.

Whats the chances......
GMENNATION

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

njLawman5016 wrote:

I am just buying into the thought process that we really need a LB this year because few are signed after this year, and the argument could be made that a standout LB could put us over the top on defense.

Whats the chances......

Your logic can apply to CBs as well. There is a 95% chance DRC is gone after this season. It's extremely important to have 3 starting caliber CBs these days. If CB is the best value when we end up picking at 23, I'd have no problem with it. We're not drafting in the Top 10 this year so our pick does not need to be a Day 1 starter. It would be great if they were, but I'm more interested in picking the best value for an overall career vs. this year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMENNATION wrote:
njLawman5016 wrote:

Whats the chances......

Your logic can apply to CBs as well. There is a 95% chance DRC is gone after this season. It's extremely important to have 3 starting caliber CBs these days. If CB is the best value when we end up picking at 23, I'd have no problem with it. We're not drafting in the Top 10 this year so our pick does not need to be a Day 1 starter. It would be great if they were, but I'm more interested in picking the best value for an overall career vs. this year.

I keep getting this increasing feeling that we will go CB in round 1. Watch someone fall who is projected high, and we jump on them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: