Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The One Move
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
AkronsWitness wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
Offensive lineman anywhere before the 5th round.

It's the one group where we have depth and the draft does not.

Agreed, but this would be #2 for me.

If we don't draft Myles at #1 I'm done. We did not suffer through last year only to pass on a HOF caliber talent.

I refuse to believe that is even a possibility. Probability of drafting OL before the late rounds is much higher, so more worrisome to me.

Meh, the offensive line thing is actually a good thing. Even if we spend a 4th on one of them. You have to have a strong point of your team and something to build around. Having young talent behind a very good line around will be very beneficial if injuries mount and god forbid one of them gets traded.

With Joe Thomas getting up there in age and question marks still at RT with Paztor not yet being locked up--I wouldnt mind at all if they drafted a high upside Tackle in the 4th to push Coleman and be Joe Thomas insurance. You want to build a strength and back it up.

Maybe next year, when Greco is gone and we know more about Coleman and Drango.

Are Greco and Drango tackles?

I get not wanting to spend one of our first 3 picks on a lineman, but it's not like we're set at tackle.

Thomas is getting long in the tooth and Coleman is still an unknown. What depth do we have behind them?

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
MWil23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said earlier, I'd be upset if we didn't take Garrett at #1, but that doesn't mean I'd be upset with a trade back. Now, I'd be upset with a trade back if:

1. We didn't get a king's ransom in return

2. We trade back from #1 to somewhere in the 11+ range. I'm tired of missing out on elite prospects. If we trade back from #1 to the 2-6 range, I'll be pretty intrigued.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trading out of the #1 slot would absolutely make me lose my mind, and trading back from #12 wouldn't be far behind. Man up and draft some impact players for once.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H2ThaIzzo wrote:
apparently I am in the minority here. but I will be upset if this regime doesn't continue to make the smart decisions they made last year in building the team from the ground up, by being willing to deal any and/or every pick when the value makes sense. This includes #1 overall. Clowney was the consensus #1 pick in 2014. Yet Khalil Mack, Aaron Donald, CJ Mosley, Ryan Shazier all first round defensive players in that class, have outperformed him in the three seasons they have been in the league. One great player doesn't make a team great. There is so much talent in the top of this draft class, that if I can get 2-3 players in that group by trading #1, and get a high draft pick next year, I am taking that deal and being very happy with it.

We could also end up with Dion Jordan and Barkevious Mingo instead if we slide back. Miles is as close to a sure thing as there can possibly be, we can't overthink it, as we need blue chip talent in the worst possible way.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawgdish wrote:
H2ThaIzzo wrote:
apparently I am in the minority here. but I will be upset if this regime doesn't continue to make the smart decisions they made last year in building the team from the ground up, by being willing to deal any and/or every pick when the value makes sense. This includes #1 overall. Clowney was the consensus #1 pick in 2014. Yet Khalil Mack, Aaron Donald, CJ Mosley, Ryan Shazier all first round defensive players in that class, have outperformed him in the three seasons they have been in the league. One great player doesn't make a team great. There is so much talent in the top of this draft class, that if I can get 2-3 players in that group by trading #1, and get a high draft pick next year, I am taking that deal and being very happy with it.

We could also end up with Dion Jordan and Barkevious Mingo instead if we slide back. Miles is as close to a sure thing as there can possibly be, we can't overthink it, as we need blue chip talent in the worst possible way.

Who went #1 that year?

That was a crap draft, poor example.

The 2014 draft is a great comp.

freakygeniuskid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If somebody is lining up to get fleeced (like, we win on the old JJ trade chart that vastly overrated the value of top 3 picks), then I'd gladly take them to the woodshed and let go of Garrett. But I don't think anyone will offer enough, so I'm fine with hanging onto it and getting Garrett.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
AkronsWitness wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:

If we don't draft Myles at #1 I'm done. We did not suffer through last year only to pass on a HOF caliber talent.

I refuse to believe that is even a possibility. Probability of drafting OL before the late rounds is much higher, so more worrisome to me.

Meh, the offensive line thing is actually a good thing. Even if we spend a 4th on one of them. You have to have a strong point of your team and something to build around. Having young talent behind a very good line around will be very beneficial if injuries mount and god forbid one of them gets traded.

With Joe Thomas getting up there in age and question marks still at RT with Paztor not yet being locked up--I wouldnt mind at all if they drafted a high upside Tackle in the 4th to push Coleman and be Joe Thomas insurance. You want to build a strength and back it up.

I get not wanting to spend one of our first 3 picks on a lineman, but it's not like we're set at tackle.

Thomas is getting long in the tooth and Coleman is still an unknown. What depth do we have behind them?

IMO its either you sign Paztor or draft a tackle in the 4th or 5th rounds. Same range Paztor is probably valued at, but since Paztor actually has some familiarity with the offense and played well last year--I would be 100% on board just resigning him and have Paztor/Coleman battle it out for the starting job. Loser is a valuable backup.

Its not a move I would have though if they drafted a Tackle in the 4th or 5th if there is a high upside guy on the board.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answering the original question:

Drafting a QB at #1. I don't think it's happening, but I'd lose it. I'd hate it at #12, but I'd survive.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AkronsWitness wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
AkronsWitness wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:

IMO its either you sign Paztor or draft a tackle in the 4th or 5th rounds. Same range Paztor is probably valued at, but since Paztor actually has some familiarity with the offense and played well last year--I would be 100% on board just resigning him and have Paztor/Coleman battle it out for the starting job. Loser is a valuable backup.

Its not a move I would have though if they drafted a Tackle in the 4th or 5th if there is a high upside guy on the board.

If they resign him, I'd be fine with that plan.

Tbh I don't know why he hasn't been signed already.

NudeTayne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freakygeniuskid wrote:
If somebody is lining up to get fleeced (like, we win on the old JJ trade chart that vastly overrated the value of top 3 picks), then I'd gladly take them to the woodshed and let go of Garrett. But I don't think anyone will offer enough, so I'm fine with hanging onto it and getting Garrett.

candyman93

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'd waste a 2nd on Watson. He's got a noodle arm.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ieaX22MIXDk

What was the toughest NFL throw he made? I swear he only completed 5 passes past 15 yards and they were jump balls to Mike Williams.

2016 Adopt a Brownie - Joe Schoebert & Christian Kirksey
candyman93

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watson is Manziel, but a complete 180 character wise. I always felt Manziel had zero talent as a passer and relied on getting bailed out by Mike Evans. Even if Manziel was sober and 100% focused on football, I think he still would have flopped.

It's easy to put up pretty stats when 90% of your throws are inside 10 yards and you can run pick plays.

2016 Adopt a Brownie - Joe Schoebert & Christian Kirksey
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Watson is Manziel, but a complete 180 character wise. I always felt Manziel had zero talent as a passer and relied on getting bailed out by Mike Evans. Even if Manziel was sober and 100% focused on football, I think he still would have flopped.

It's easy to put up pretty stats when 90% of your throws are inside 10 yards and you can run pick plays.

Don't forget a 1st round WR who excels at contested carches.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
candyman93 wrote:

Don't forget a 1st round WR who excels at contested carches.

I see now that you didn't forget that.

Carry on.
H2ThaIzzo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawgdish wrote:
H2ThaIzzo wrote:

this class is loaded at the top. TBH, I think the two top safeties are probably safer picks than Garrett.

Solomon Thomas
Marshon Lattimore
Malik Hooker
Jamal Adams

these are all guys that I'd be happy with if we moved back from 1 to gain some additional picks. I don't see a huge drop off of talent from Garrett to these guys. Quite honestly, I think when all is said and done, Garrett will probably be a better pass rusher than Thomas, but Thomas may end up as the better defensive player overall.

I have the same thoughts about pick #12. if we have 4 players all ranked right around the same still on the board there, why not trade back a few slots, gain future picks, and still get to draft a guy we had ranked right there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: