Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eagles trade for DT Timmy Jernigan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EagleBlueDon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love the Ravens fans denial of how good of a player he actually is, and can be. Always funny watching fans trying to justify a trade their team makes, and then hearing them bash the traded player. But if Jernigan was still a Raven, I bet BAL fans would change their tune on how much they valued him. 5 days ago he was a key component on their DLine, right behind BW. Today, he's barely a rotational player.
Counselor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleBlueDon wrote:
Gotta love the Ravens fans denial of how good of a player he actually is, and can be. Always funny watching fans trying to justify a trade their team makes, and then hearing them bash the traded player. But if Jernigan was still a Raven, I bet BAL fans would change their tune on how much they valued him. 5 days ago he was a key component on their DLine, right behind BW. Today, he's barely a rotational player.

Exactly! Happens all the time.

48 1/2ers wrote:
Ostriches have inverted knees and they're pretty athletic...

GIF of Ostrich Running Here...

The Wheat Grass Shooting Hippies made me get rid of it...
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleBlueDon wrote:

You can go in and check out our forum from when the Jernigan trade rumors started a couple weeks ago. I think most everybody had the same opinion then as they did after the deal actually happened.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleBlueDon wrote:

In fairness, its not like Ravens fans are calling him bad. Most are just calling him solid and inconsistent....and thats largely what he is, and this is coming from a Steelers fan. If anything, I think some Ravens fans in the past overrated him...although they didnt talk about him much in 2016.

I think the Eagles got the better end of the deal, but thats mainly because he is a proven solid player while a draft pick is not even guaranteed to be remotely decent. Its not like Jernigan is some kind of great player, though. He has shown flashes, but the Ravens traded him for what he has PROVEN to be, a largely solid player with 1 year left on his deal. Good deal for the Eagles, but at face value, its not a huge disparity in value.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles got themselves a new fidget gadget

48 1/2ers wrote:
Ostriches have inverted knees and they're pretty athletic...

GIF of Ostrich Running Here...

The Wheat Grass Shooting Hippies made me get rid of it...
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleBlueDon wrote:

Gotta love the Eagles fans denial of any weaknesses or downside to him as a player. Always funny watching fans trying to justify a trade their team makes, and then hearing them say they gave up nothing of value and made a pure upside move with no risk.

Seriously, I don't know how you are getting barely a rotational player from what Ravens' fans said in this thread. I reckon you just don't want to hear any criticism and will convince yourselves to write off any of it.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
EagleBlueDon wrote:

You can go in and check out our forum from when the Jernigan trade rumors started a couple weeks ago. I think most everybody had the same opinion then as they did after the deal actually happened.

For real...

March 24th (you know, ~2 weeks before the trade actually happened...):

coordinator0 wrote:
Yeah, with this draft I wouldn't mind a third round pick for Jernigan as long as it isn't too low. We know this is a good, deep draft. Not too certain about what a compensatory pick might net a team in two years.

The concept of actually trading Timmy is interesting. I'm not opposed to it. His inconsistency as a pass-rusher isn't anything new. That comes with the territory for pass-rushers but his highs and lows have a pretty stark difference. And with Kaufusi, Urban, and Henry all in the mix as guys who have some potential getting after the QB it's not like the team would be barren at that position if Jernigan was moved.

wackywabbit wrote:

Trading Jernigan is still a tricky thing to imagine. As mentioned, his highs are so great, but his disappearances are real.

Flaccomania wrote:
I'd rather have a 3rd round pick this year rather than a 3rd round pick in 2019 that's guaranteed to be at the end of the round for Jernigan. Hell, I'd take a 4th instead of that too even if we use it as ammo to move around.

Stance Punk wrote:

I felt the same when hearing Jernigan would be shopped. Rather have a 4th round pick right now than a 3rd round pick in 2018. I don't think losing Jernigan this season would make or break us.

coordinator0 wrote:

If the team doesn't plan to sign him next March then they should get what they can for him now. As mentioned above I don't think losing Timmy makes or breaks the defense. Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering the need for more pass-rush, but his disappearances come far too often for my liking. I would rather take a chance on getting somebody in who might not be as explosive but still more consistent.

--

I mean, maybe I missed "5 days ago" but 14 days ago, he certainly wasn't a key component of our DL. In fact, he was exactly what we're all saying in this thread.

[quote="SFPatsFan"]

Flaccomania is a genius who is an expert on literally everything he talks about so you should trust him. [/quote]
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle dude just got roasted by Flacco. Looks like you shouldn't talk without knowing what the heck you're talking about. Teams don't just get rid of great players for barely anything, so obviously Jernigan was some flaws. With that said, I think he's better suited for a 4-3, so nice depth for the eagles.
EagleBlueDon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Eagle dude just got roasted by Flacco. Looks like you shouldn't talk without knowing what the heck you're talking about. Teams don't just get rid of great players for barely anything, so obviously Jernigan was some flaws. With that said, I think he's better suited for a 4-3, so nice depth for the eagles.
Nobody in their right minds would rather have moved up from 99 to 74 over Timmy Jernigan. Start a poll if you'd like. Then we'll see who's roasted.
Nova

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really aren't any apparent losers to this trade.

Both sides kind of win here, but it's all based on potential really.

These are the kinds of trades that make sense in my opinion. Not a lot of risk involved on both ends.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleBlueDon wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Nobody in their right minds would rather have moved up from 99 to 74 over Timmy Jernigan. Start a poll if you'd like. Then we'll see who's roasted.

You were roasted considering what you claimed we were doing.

Moving up 25 spots at those positions is equivalent to a late 3rd/early 4th round pick value. That's precisely the value most of us expected. Your claim that we were simply sour on the player solely because we traded them was proven unequivocally false. We were talking about how inconsistent he is, how much he disappears and how most of us would like to get the value for him now rather than keeping him another year just to lose him in FA. Just take the L and move on, bud.

[quote="SFPatsFan"]

Flaccomania is a genius who is an expert on literally everything he talks about so you should trust him. [/quote]
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleBlueDon wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

Yea, no. It's not about who "won" the trade. The Ravens thought it was a good move for them and the Eagles thought it was a good for them.

The problem is certain Eagles fans, like yourself, getting your panties in a bunch if Ravens' give any criticism of Jernigan. We're pointing out strengths and weaknesses, and you guys seem unwilling to hear anything other than that he is a 100% surefire superstar who is consistently elite at every facet of the game, and the Ravens traded him because they are stupid.
Nova

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleBlueDon wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

I would make that trade if I were the Ravens.

They didn't need him for this year and they were unlikely to pay him next year.

So they traded a player they didn't have much use for to jump almost an entire round in standing.

And considering Jernigan was basically a sunk fund (again they weren't bringing him back anyway and the comp pick he would fetch is a gamble), they used him to improve the comp pick gained from losing Osemele.

You could almost view this as the Ravens trading Osemele, a #60 overall pick for the #74 overall pick in a better draft AFTER GETTING 4 YEARS OF SERVICE FROM HIM.

And now they have 4 picks in the top 78 of a strong class.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ravens would be better with Timmy but after signing Williams they probably couldn't realistically re-sign him. They have $70 million tied up in 5 players for 2018 so he was going to be a free agent. If the Ravens thought it was realistic to make a SB run this year they would have likely held on to him because that value would be higher than the differences in the pick but realistically they don't look like a team that will be making a deep run in 2017.
EagleBlueDon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
EagleBlueDon wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

You were roasted considering what you claimed we were doing.

Moving up 25 spots at those positions is equivalent to a late 3rd/early 4th round pick value. That's precisely the value most of us expected. Your claim that we were simply sour on the player solely because we traded them was proven unequivocally false. We were talking about how inconsistent he is, how much he disappears and how most of us would like to get the value for him now rather than keeping him another year just to lose him in FA. Just take the L and move on, bud.
I don't consider our defensive line getting stronger "taking an L", bud. Our DL got significantly better with this trade. After losing Bennie Logan in FA, we needed this. He's an upgrade even on Bennie, especially in an attacking 4-3. I'll take my chances on a highly rated PFF player who is 24 years old with 13 career sacks compiled from a two-gap scheme. Don't worry bro, I'm sure your 25 spot upgrade in the 3rd round will keep you up smiling the night before day 2 of the draft. It'll be like Ralphie on Christmas Eve.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: