You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Romo retiring
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nova

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Romo retiring Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
be WARE94 wrote:

I'm saying objectively, and as a Cowboys fan, he is a franchise legend.

And nobody can ever take that away from you, enjoy your QB.

But you used the word objectively and objectively, Tony had flaws, often fatal ones that caused him to screw up at the worst moments. That doesn't mean he wasn't talented or a Dallas legend, it just means he wasn't perfect.

And those not-perfect comments shouldn't be a problem for Dallas fans to accept. However, several of the uber- sensitive Romo-fans in this thread pitched a fit at the mere mention of Tony's killer mistakes. They happened. And nobody can ever take those away either. Cool

Somehow this got quoted under be Ware, but I originally said it so I'll respond:

Romo had flaws. No one is denying he made mistakes. All QBs do. The difference with Tony is that he didn't have a great team to help mitigate those mistakes.

I think we can all agree that while Romo was good, he was not good enough to carry a bad team through the gauntlet of the playoffs. But then again, not many QBs are (if there are truly any).

We can disagree on that point, but it's BS to say:
Shanedorf wrote:

And those not-perfect comments shouldn't be a problem for Dallas fans to accept. However, several of the uber- sensitive Romo-fans in this thread pitched a fit at the mere mention of Tony's killer mistakes.

when you entered the thread like this:

Shanedorf wrote:

Romo had a lifetime of brainfarts for fans to remember, way more than just the fumbled snap. Romo will go into the Fanboy Hall of Fame for players whose reputation vastly exceeded their success on the field.

13 years in the league, won exactly 2 playoff games
All hat and no cattle, just like his boss, Jerry.

Pretty much the perfect Cowboy... Smile

That's just bad form. Seems like you just came here to be obnoxious.
DingoLadd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Romo is one of the best passers of our generation consistently a top 10 QB when he was healthy, He was as good as Brees, Rodgers, Rivers etc. and I think in the end he'll join Rivers in the "Almost great but he didn't win a superbowl so he's not that good" postseason success is a team thing not a player thing.

I'd say Tony Romo has a decent shot at the HOF and will eventually get in, I mean if Kurt Warner can get in any good QB can get in.

Long live Phillip Rivers and his constant carrying of this god awful team.

Also go (South Carolina) Charleston Dingoes. Looking for a co-owner for a fantasy team so PM me please.
Malik

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romo is the most over-criticized player (based on performance) in my lifetime as an NFL fan. Romo's level of play in conjunction to how good his teams actually were is pretty outstanding. Former 1st overall picks Philip Rivers and Carson Palmer have virtually the exact same accomplishments but have never received 1/10000 of the criticism Romo endeared while they both have played on better teams more often than him.

One of the greatest undrafted players of all time.
jonu62882

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrashMan510 wrote:

look at this nerd

Looks a little like Paul Rudd, iyam.

KManX89

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DingoLadd wrote:
Tony Romo is one of the best passers of our generation consistently a top 10 QB when he was healthy, He was as good as Brees, Rodgers, Rivers etc. and I think in the end he'll join Rivers in the "Almost great but he didn't win a superbowl so he's not that good" postseason success is a team thing not a player thing.

I'd say Tony Romo has a decent shot at the HOF and will eventually get in, I mean if Kurt Warner can get in any good QB can get in.

Comparable to Rivers, sure, but as good as Rodgers and Brees? No, he is not. Not even in his prime.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sad I'll never see him play again. Really enjoyed seeing a bunch of his highlights. He was over criticized and underappreciated for a long time, but I think NFL fans have a more realistic idea of him now. I know his lack of post season success makes a lot of people look down on him, but those people must not know how bad most of his teams have been. He basically kept us from being the Browns. Maybe not that bad, but you get my point. He was the only reason we could go into a season being optimistic and think we could overachieve and be SB contenders every year. He made his mistakes and failures, but he did far more good.

His lack of postseason success really isn't much his fault. You can blame him for the bobbled snap in 06, but not for his QBing that game. Against the Giants the next year, as ChazStandard mentioned, Patrick Crayton stopped running after getting behind his defender for what should have been the go ahead TD. 2 years later, after smoking the Eagles, his offensive line didn't show up against the Vikings and he had guys immediately in his face all day. He didn't really have a chance. We all know what happened in GB a couple years ago. I know, bunch of excuses, but it's true.
footbull3196

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched almost his entire career unfold directlt in front of my eyes and I can honestly say it was an absolute pleasure to watch Romo play week in and week out. There are very few players who I wanted to succeed in this league like I wanted Romo to succeed. His statistical greatness (even considering the era we're in) made me believe that he was as close to an elite quarterback as you can be. No doubt he only improved mentally as the years went by, just take a look at how much he was able to fix his INT numbers later on

One pass that Romo seemed to throw better than the majority of quarterbacks throughout his career is the 25-30 yard deep route. Most times this would be down the sideline, sometimes the receiver would cut back in towards the middle of the field. I remember seeing him drop it in there perfectly time after time after time
Malik

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiei7 wrote:
I'm sad I'll never see him play again. Really enjoyed seeing a bunch of his highlights. He was over criticized and underappreciated for a long time, but I think NFL fans have a more realistic idea of him now. I know his lack of post season success makes a lot of people look down on him, but those people must not know how bad most of his teams have been. He basically kept us from being the Browns. Maybe not that bad, but you get my point. He was the only reason we could go into a season being optimistic and think we could overachieve and be SB contenders every year. He made his mistakes and failures, but he did far more good.

His lack of postseason success really isn't much his fault. You can blame him for the bobbled snap in 06, but not for his QBing that game. Against the Giants the next year, as ChazStandard mentioned, Patrick Crayton stopped running after getting behind his defender for what should have been the go ahead TD. 2 years later, after smoking the Eagles, his offensive line didn't show up against the Vikings and he had guys immediately in his face all day. He didn't really have a chance. We all know what happened in GB a couple years ago. I know, bunch of excuses, but it's true.

Definitely. I don't think you can look at those teams Tony Romo played with in Dallas and seriously say over his career that he underachieved. He probably should of won 1 or 2 more playoff games, but it's not like he had a half a decade of stacked teams and failed to deliver.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its sad watching as last generations players start to retire. So many amazing memories. Within the next 5 years, pretty much all of them will be gone. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His lack of postseason success really isn't much his fault. You can blame him for the bobbled snap in 06, but not for his QBing that game. Against the Giants the next year, as ChazStandard mentioned, Patrick Crayton stopped running after getting behind his defender for what should have been the go ahead TD. 2 years later, after smoking the Eagles, his offensive line didn't show up against the Vikings and he had guys immediately in his face all day. He didn't really have a chance. We all know what happened in GB a couple years ago. I know, bunch of excuses, but it's true.[/quote]

Definitely. I don't think you can look at those teams Tony Romo played with in Dallas and seriously say over his career that he underachieved. He probably should of won 1 or 2 more playoff games, but it's not like he had a half a decade of stacked teams and failed to deliver.[/quote]

People can always cherry pick plays when their favorite team loses, but two postseason wins and zero conference title appearances is disappointing for a QB of Romo's talent. And those Cowboys playoff teams had talent, this wasn't a one man show. The HOF-caliber QBs usually find ways to overcome mistakes to win these postseason games. A good completion percentage or TD/INT ratio doesn't always translate to winning.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll miss watching him play, for sure.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Counselor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Together we can fill the fridge

48 1/2ers wrote:
Ostriches have inverted knees and they're pretty athletic...

GIF of Ostrich Running Here...

The Wheat Grass Shooting Hippies made me get rid of it...
TVScout

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much of his failure to succeed was the result of possibly the worst coaching in the League.
Nova

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaserFocus wrote:

People can always cherry pick plays when their favorite team loses, but two postseason wins and zero conference title appearances is disappointing for a QB of Romo's talent. And those Cowboys playoff teams had talent, this wasn't a one man show. The HOF-caliber QBs usually find ways to overcome mistakes to win these postseason games. A good completion percentage or TD/INT ratio doesn't always translate to winning.

I don't think that Crayton play was cherry picked at all. The play was literally the 2nd to last play of the game with about 20 seconds left on the clock. It would have been the game winning TD to defeat the eventual SB champs that derailed an 19-0 season. (by the way it was Crayton's second costly mistake of the game).

Here's a clip

You make some fair points, but I also think it's fair to point out just how unlucky he has been at times.

It's a team game. And more often than not, the team failed Romo rather than vice versa.
DaBoys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romo was 18-36(50%) for 201 yards 5.6 (YPA) 1 INT and 2 sacks to 1 TD, in that playoff game that Patrick Crayton lost for us.

Rolling Eyes

And I think we had 13 pro bowlers that year. Definitely their fault, not Romo's. Never Romo's.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: