Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings Sign Case Keenum
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
SemperFeist wrote:
Why does this signing mean the end of Heinicke? This team has carried 3 quarterbacks for as long as I can remember, and we know that Bridgewater isn't in the discussion for the start of the 2017 season.

They didn't at the start of last season

Technically they had 4 QB's on the roster last season.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado Vike wrote:
byuvike88 wrote:
Depending on the contract details, he be cut at the end of the preseason if Heinicke shows more or if he really struggles.

That's hard to imagine. I can't see the Vikings going into the season without a veteran backup to be called on, if needed. Even if Heinicke wins the #2 job, he's completely untested. They could need him, he could come in and crash and burn, then they'd have no other option left beyond whoever they have as the #3 or on the PS. I expect that guy would be something like a 7th round pick or a UDFA signing.

It not only depends on Heinecke and Keenum, but also where Bridgewater looks to be in his rehab. It's still not out of the question that Bridgewater will be ready to be a backup at some point in the season.
Colorado Vike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
Colorado Vike wrote:
byuvike88 wrote:
Depending on the contract details, he be cut at the end of the preseason if Heinicke shows more or if he really struggles.

That's hard to imagine. I can't see the Vikings going into the season without a veteran backup to be called on, if needed. Even if Heinicke wins the #2 job, he's completely untested. They could need him, he could come in and crash and burn, then they'd have no other option left beyond whoever they have as the #3 or on the PS. I expect that guy would be something like a 7th round pick or a UDFA signing.

It not only depends on Heinecke and Keenum, but also where Bridgewater looks to be in his rehab. It's still not out of the question that Bridgewater will be ready to be a backup at some point in the season.

No, not out of the question, but nobody knows yet. If you don't know, then you need to be prepared. Which is exactly what the Vikings are doing by signing Keenum.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keenum: 典he Vikings organization, everybody we met, getting picked up at the airport to being at the facility, going out to eat with coaches and staff, it seems like a first-class team. From what I致e heard, it comes from the owners. I知 excited to be a part of that, I知 excited to add my stamp on the culture that痴 already been built there. My personal goal on any team I知 at is to make that team better. I知 ready to come in and compete. I知 going to come in and learn the offense as quickly as I can and focus on making this team better.

的知 excited to get to know him [Bradford] even more and watch him work on the field. I致e watched him from afar, just on film, and been a fan of the game and his game and how he plays for awhile now. He痴 a heck of an athlete and has an incredible arm talent, so I知 excited to see it live and in person on the field.

Keenum has some familiarity with Bradford as the two were teammates with the St. Louis Rams in 2014. Bradford tore his ACL that season, but Keenum said the two saw each other in meetings.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/QB-Case-Keenum-Excited-to-Put-His-Stamp-on-Vikings-/a6c47c48-8926-497d-a9a6-ba2761cb8797

Everson Griffen: 展e can be special. But it痴 up to us.
Colorado Vike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to wonder, why the one year deal? On the Vikings' part, the uncertainty about Bridgewater must play a part. There may also be some uncertainty about Bradford, too - his durability, his ability to lead a team into the playoffs. On Keenum's part, though, it seems a bit odd. It's not a prove-it deal, as he's not going to be the starter. Could be that getting into the fourth week of free agency he found the market for his services to be very soft and took what he could get.
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado Vike wrote:
You have to wonder, why the one year deal? On the Vikings' part, the uncertainty about Bridgewater must play a part. There may also be some uncertainty about Bradford, too - his durability, his ability to lead a team into the playoffs. On Keenum's part, though, it seems a bit odd. It's not a prove-it deal, as he's not going to be the starter. Could be that getting into the fourth week of free agency he found the market for his services to be very soft and took what he could get.

He played horrible last year. Really horrible. No way a team is going to give him starter money.

Take Joe Mixon.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado Vike wrote:

You looked into two possibilities, but not the obvious third possibility; i.e. uncertainty about Heinicke, who WAS the presumed backup QB... until the signing of Keenum. It's a prove-it deal as regards backup QB in lieu of Henicke in 2017, and possibly as a backup going forward - should he perform better than Heinicke this pre-season and in mop up duty in 2017.
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not wondering about the 1-year deal, as it makes perfect sense. All players signed at this time now (after the initial couple of waves) are all going to be prove-it deals.

I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see Adrian get just a 1-year deal himself.

Thx to Lil Uno!
Colorado Vike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
You looked into two possibilities, but not the obvious third possibility; i.e. uncertainty about Heinicke, who WAS the presumed backup QB... until the signing of Keenum. It's a prove-it deal as regards backup QB in lieu of Henicke in 2017, and possibly as a backup going forward - should he perform better than Heinicke this pre-season and in mop up duty in 2017.

The Vikings were going to bring in a veteran backup. They have two healthy QBs, one being Heinicke, who has yet to take a regular season snap in the NFL.

That doesn't really explain the one year contract. They can (and usually do) structure multi-year contracts for these types of backups to be front-loaded, with little or no dead cap money in subsequent years.
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado Vike wrote:
That doesn't really explain the one year contract. They can (and usually do) structure multi-year contracts for these types of backups to be front-loaded, with little or no dead cap money in subsequent years.

It is possible that Keenum didn't want more than a 1-year deal considering the Bridgewater situation. I think it's a good deal for both sides.

And I don't think I can agree that QBs in this situation usually get multi-year deals. Last year alone Mark Sanchez, Brian Hoyer and Matt Cassel signed the exact same contract that Keenum did this year (1 yr, $2M). And there were 8 other QBs that all signed 1 year deals for either more or less than that. It's not nearly as common for them to sign multi-year deals as you think.

Thx to Lil Uno!
Cearbhall

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Case Keenum's $2M deal with Vikings has $1M g'teed ($250K signing bonus, $750K base salary g'tee). Can make $750K through roster bonuses.

https://twitter.com/GoesslingESPN/status/850087710450757632

It is not clear to me if that $750k that he can make through roster bonuses is in addition tot he $2M but it sounds like it may be. If true, he'll get $2.75M for the year if he is the gameday backup or filling in as starter all year.

If Teddy is able to come back and become the backup the Vikings would save a few coins. Alternatively, if Heinicke wins the backup job in camp.
Colorado Vike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cearbhall wrote:
Quote:
Case Keenum's $2M deal with Vikings has $1M g'teed ($250K signing bonus, $750K base salary g'tee). Can make $750K through roster bonuses.

https://twitter.com/GoesslingESPN/status/850087710450757632

It is not clear to me if that $750k that he can make through roster bonuses is in addition tot he $2M but it sounds like it may be. If true, he'll get $2.75M for the year if he is the gameday backup or filling in as starter all year.

No, it's not in addition to. Here's the breakdown that adds up to $2M:

$250k signing bonus
$950k base salary
$50k workout bonus
$750k roster bonuses

$1M is guaranteed. If he gets hit by a bus tomorrow, he's paid the $250k signing bonus, plus the remaining $750k that is guaranteed.

If he gets cut during training camp or any time prior to the regular season, he'll make $1.25M. I'm not certain how the roster bonuses are structured - it may be so much per week, or he might make the entire $750k bonus if he makes the roster for week one, or some variation on that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: