Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

WhoDatNation's PreDraft Mock (Since you won't mock)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhoDatNation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: WhoDatNation's PreDraft Mock (Since you won't mock) Reply with quote

It's that time of year, again. We've seen the Saints make some nice moves during FA. There are still some holes to fill.

Round 1a. Haason Reddick OLB Temple
While Craig Robertson played well last year, a playmaker is always a plus. Small school talent may be scary, but has anyone ever heard of Khalil Mack?

Round 1b. Jordan Willis DE Kansas State His stock is rising, and I think 32 is about the right spot. Willis reminds me of Chandler Jones.

Round 2. Fabian Moreau CB UCLA CB is certainly a need, but we have options, I.e. PJ Williams, Damian Swann, Sterling Moore...

Round 3a. Nathan Peterman QB Pitt If his Senior Bowl performance was any indication, he can be a pro QB. Is he a guarantee? No, but we have to keep trying for that successor.

Round 3b. Jake But TE Michigan Fleener sucks. Need I say more?

Round 6. Stacy Coley WR Miami Coley, not Ginn, can serve as a true deep threat.

Round 7. Darius English DE South Carolina your guess is as good as mine.
FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't mind this draft. Not the biggest fan of Jordan Willis at 32 though.

mike23md on the sig
taquarih

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the worst draft I've seen....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be content, but not happy with this draft.
tyler735

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings with the mock. My main concern is that is seems to put an emphasis on athletic specimens that don't really have the nuances of the game down that several of their peers do at this stage. In other words swinging for the fences with Boom/Bust type picks.

Regarding Haason Redick. The small school thing doesn't really bother me. He was clearly productive, and obviously has more than enough athleticism to play LB. I wouldn't be mad if he was the pick. He does seem like a big Boom/Bust type pick that could really pay off, but we've also been on the flip side of this quite often.

I know you compared him to Khalil Mack, which I can't fully agree with. There are certainly more concerns with Redick than Mack coming out. Sure from an athletic/college production point he is right there with a guy like Mack. However Redick is going to move from DE to OLB in the NFL. I think he can make the adjustment as he is very athletic, and was actually a DB coming out of high school, but it's still an unknown if he will struggle with a position change. Mack was often described as a violent player to go along with his athleticism when he was coming out. I don't know that Redick possesses that level of physicality and Redick seems to be somewhat of a product of beating lower level competition around the edge with his explosiveness to compile big numbers. He won't be able to get away with that as much in the NFL, and will need to improve technique. Obviously these things can be learned, but it does bring up some concerns. I also read he had an assault charge a couple years ago which brings up another red flag.

Regarding Jordan Willis. I wouldn't be upset with the pick. I do prefer TJ Watt, Tack McKinley, or potentially even one of the CB's that would be available. It concerns me that two things seem to pop up on just about every scouting report with Willis. He doesn't get much bend around the edge when pass rushing...In other words he's very stiff, and also concerning is he doesn't appear nearly explosive on tape as his combine #'s would indicate. He seems to be the polar opposite of a guy like Derek Barnett who didn't test all that well at the combine, but his tape shows a guy that plays with great bend, uses a variety of moves, and plays faster than his numbers would have you believe. If we were to go DE/OLB with our first two picks I'd rather see a combo of Derek Barnett/TJ Watt. Basically I've become a bit wary of guys that seem to get by on their athleticism, and flash athletic potential over instincts. Maybe it's PTSD from guys like Stephone Anthony, Martez Wilson, etc.

Regarding Fabian Moreau, I'd also look to other CB's first. He's another athletic specimen, that isn't as refined as others that should be available in the 2nd round. Maybe he'll continue to improve technique but it sounds like scouting reports say his weaknesses are late tracking the ball, bites on too many fakes, doesn't play the ball well in the air, rarely intercepts the ball, and too many Pass Interference/Defensive Holding penalties. Honestly I'd rather go with several other CB's that will likely be there at this point in the 2nd.

Regarding Nathan Peterman. I'd rather wait until Brees starts to show some decline in his play. Unless our staff views him as the successor to Brees, why waste an early pick when we are in Win Now mode. Also we did pick Grayson fairly early not too long ago. He may be able to develop still. If the draft went this way with 3 defensive picks to start I'd strongly consider looking at the best RB available as there is about as much RB depth as any year in recent memory. Maybe a guy like D'onta Foreman, Joe Mixon, Curtis Samuel, Alvin Kamara falls to this point in the draft.

Regarding Jake Butt. I wouldn't be opposed to picking him. Could definitely add some TE talent.
WhoDatNation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comparison of Reddick to Mack was more about them both being very talented small school players.
tyler735

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fair enough definitely not denying Reddick has tons of talent. Obviously I don't think he has the same level of talent as Mack, but very few do in the NFL. That said, he undoubtedly has the potential to be a very good pass rusher in the NFL, and depending on how his transition to LB goes, he also has the athleticism to be pretty good in coverage. As I mentioned before I think there are some risks with him, but he could definitely be a very valuable asset for this team. If Christian McCaffrey is there at pick 11 he's my top choice for the Saints. If he's gone my next two choices would likely be either Derek Barnett or Haason Reddick. If we come away with any of those 3 our team instantly gets better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: