Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

gopherwrestler's final mock || 2017

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: gopherwrestler's final mock || 2017 Reply with quote

It's time for my final mock of the year. I do this every year on here an I still have failed to get our first round pick correct. Usually it end's up the player we select goes a pick or two in front of us. Hopefully this is the year I can hit the nail on the head and these rookies can perform well enough to get us into a deep playoff run and heck, lets just throw it out there, get to the Superbowl in our own dang house!

For those of you that want to see my full 7 round mock I do have it listed on the forum in the 2017 NFL Mock Draft Forum.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=587100&start=0

Let's start this off!

Round 1:
1. Cleveland Browns - Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M
2. San Francisco 49ers - Leonard Fournette, RB, Louisiana State
3. Chicago Bears - Jamal Adams, S, Louisiana State
4. Jacksonville Jaguars - Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
5. Tennessee Titans (from Los Angeles Rams) - Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
6. New York Jets - Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson
7. Los Angeles Chargers - Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State
8. Carolina Panthers - Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford
9. Cincinnati Bengals - Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama
10. Buffalo Bills - O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
11. New Orleans Saints - Haason Reddick, LB/EDGE, Temple
12. Cleveland Browns (from Philadelphia Eagles) - Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina
13. Arizona Cardinals - Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State
14. Philadelphia Eagles (from Minnesota Vikings) - Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama
15. Indianapolis Colts - Derek Barnett, EDGE, Tennessee
16. Baltimore Ravens - Garrett Bolles, T, Utah
17. Washington Redskins - Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
18. Tennessee Titans - Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan
19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - David Njoku, TE, Miami
20. Denver Broncos - Cam Robinson, T/G, Alabama
21. Detroit Lions - Zack Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt
22. Miami Dolphins - Forrest Lamp, G, Western Kentucky
23. New York Giants - Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State
24. Oakland Raiders - Tyus Bowser, EDGE/LB, Houston
25. Houston Texans - Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech
26. Seattle Seahawks - Ryan Ramczyk, T, Wisconsin
27. Kansas City Chiefs - TreDavious White, CB, Louisiana State
28. Dallas Cowboys - Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan
29. Green Bay Packers - T.J. Watt, EDGE, Wisconsin
30. Pittsburgh Steelers - Charles Harris, EDGE, Missouri
31. Atlanta Falcons - Dan Feeney, G, Indiana
32. New Orleans Saints (from New England Patriots) - Kevin King, CB, Washington

Round 2:
33. Cleveland Browns - Budda Baker, S, Washington
34. San Francisco 49ers - Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
35. Jacksonville Jaguars - Alvin Kamara, RB, Tennessee
36. Chicago Bears - DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame
37. Los Angeles Rams - Evan Engram, TE, Mississippi
38. Los Angeles Chargers - John Ross, WR, Washington
39. New York Jets - Takkarist McKinley, EDGE, California - Los Angeles
40. Carolina Panthers - Curtis Samuel, WR, Ohio State
41. Cincinnati Bengals - Taylor Moton, T, Western Michigan
42. New Orleans Saints - Dion Dawkins, T/G, Temple
43. Philadelphia Eagles - Jarrad Davis, LB, Florida
44. Buffalo Bills - Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina
45. Arizona Cardinals - Obi Melifonwu, S, Connecticut
46. Indianapolis Colts - Dorian Johnson, G, Pittsburgh
47. Baltimore Ravens - Jordan Willis, EDGE, Kansas State

With the 48th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings Select:

Malik McDowell, DL, Michigan State

Combine Numbers:
6'6-1/4" - Height
295 - Weight
34-3/4" - Arms
10-1/2" - Hands
4.85 - 40 Yard Dash
1.69 - 10 Yard Split
23 - Bench
4.53 - Shuttle
7.69 - 3-Cone
28.5 - Vertical Jump
9'4'" - Broad Jump

Stats:
88 Tackles
7.5 Sacks
1 INT
2 Forces Fumbles

Evaluation Of Selection:
I really believe this is a need. Maybe not our largest need, but with him being the best player available at a position on need it would be hard to see us let him slide by us at pick #48. We really don't know what we have in Floyd, will he play or will he not. Datone Jones is a nice pick-up for us, but only being on a 1 year contract we don't know if he will stick or not.

McDowell is an athletic freak, the guy is long and strong. He can play at an UT and also can slide outside to play a DE in some situations. We need to gain some constant pressure that we miss when Floyd has been out, this is the guy that can do it. With being 6'6" he actually gets off the ball very well and can stay low, one thing I always loved while watching him tho while playing inside is his ability to knock the ball down while playing inside.

He does have a little character issues that some may not no of. Did get mad at the Michigan St. coaching staff for "not using him correctly". They will, I agree use him in spots that didn't suit him well. Pushing him outside as a pass rusher on 3rd down when he matches up better in the interior. Still something you probably shouldn't do. He also is very confident in himself and not afraid to show it. Even with these red flags he is not scaring me away, his talent is way to great. Without red flags he is probably a top 20 pick. I have him falling in this draft for a dream the Vikings can snatch him. Spielman and Zimmer did have a private workout at his pro-day with him.

With the 79th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings Select:

Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma

Pro-Day Numbers:
6'0-3/4" - Height
228 - Weight
10-1/4" - Hands
4.45 - 40 Yard Dash
1.51 - 10 Yard Split
21 - Bench
4.27 - Shuttle
7.10 - 3-Cone
35.0 - Vertical Jump
9'10" - Broad Jump

Stats:
2027 Rushing Yards
6.8 YPC
17 Rushing TD's
65 Receptions
894 Receiving Yards
9 Receiving TD's

Evaluation Of Selection:
The loss of one great Oklahoma RB, replaced my the next star Oklahoma RB. Joe Mixon is one of my favorite "players" in this draft. Not person, but player. He is my 2nd rated running back in the draft after Fournette and #1 running back for a fit for the Minnesota Vikings.

There isn't another running back in this draft that can do everything Mixon does, as well as he can do. He can do it all. Running in-between the tackles may be one of his weakest links, but in the limited amount of time he was to do it he ranked 6th in the nation while doing it. Mixon is explosive when he can get to the outside also. #1 rated running back while running outside of the tackles. One thing I also find as a big key for us here is his ability to pass block. He does not shy away from contact with an opposing player and really can block some of these players fine one on one. His patience out of the backfield is also very fun to watch. He waits and finds a whole and hits it. It's not the jumping around prancing in the backfield like we saw with Peterson but it is a constant movement of going downhill to find the whole. He also, as you can see by the stats catch out of the backfield, something that will be very important with our future here in Minnesota with either Bradford or Bridgewater, depending on who we go forward with.

We all know the background on Mixon, so I'm not going to go into the second chance debate, or bring anything on that subject up anymore. One thing I do know is this coaching staff is very interested in Mixon and even has history with Mixon. Kennedy Polamalu, our RB Coach, has a history with Mixon. Polamalu has spent a lot of time trying to recruit him to UCLA, with him ending up heading to Oklahoma as the #1 prospect of his high school recruiting class. One of Mike Zimmers ex-players was also one of Mixons college coaches, beloved Roy Williams. Zimmer also spent private time with Mixon as we all saw in the pictures.

Overall, I think this would just be a great fit. Mixon, Murray, and McKinnon. 3M. If these 3 stuck together it could end up being the best running backfield in the NFL in the future. Something we could really use back here in Minnesota.

With the 86th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings Select:

Pat Elfein, C, Ohio St.

Combine Numbers:
6'2-5/8" - Height
303 - Weight
33-1/4" - Arms
9-3/4" - Hands
5.32 - 40 Yard Dash
1.88 - 10 Yard Split
22 - Bench
4.71 - Shuttle
7.94 - 3-Cone
23.5 - Vertical Jump
8'3" - Broad Jump

Awards:
Started 40 consecutive games
Team Captain
Outland Trophy - Finalist
Rimington Trophy - Finalist
2X - “Iron Buckeye”
1st Team All-American
3X - First Team Big Ten
Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year

Evaluation Of Selection:
Elfein: Consistent, durable, mean-streak. These are words I like to use to describe this Outland Trophy finalist. He started 40 consecutive games and has played at a high level for all 3 years he started while improving each and every year. One thing the Vikings need in their offensive line is someone to be consistent and be available. Our past year was a complete disgrace for our offensive lineman. We saw our "soft" offensive line, as Zimmer stated, go down to injury on a consistent bases. This is not the type of consistency we are looking for. Elfein is a type of player we can have that should be able to stay on the field.

He also has a mean streak, while his footwork is not always the best he is always looking to hit something and I am a huge fan of watching him pull. He likes to light the other guy up. For having a "soft" offensive line this should be something our coaches should love. He also is smart, something you like to see from a NFL center, he earned three OSU Scholar-Athlete awards and one Academic All-Big Ten Conference honor.

Overall this pick may end up being for the future. He has the ability and has spent time at offensive guard along with playing center which may be his best position. I know some of us have faith in Easton, who may eventually play a career long Joe Berger role where he may be the solid back-up and now get time due to injury to take advantage of it, but Elfein's talent and ability is just too strong to pass up. Would love to see him as a future Viking.

With the 120th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings Select:

Danny Isidora, G, Miami

Combine Numbers:
6'3" - Height
306 - Weight
33" - Arms
9-7/8" - Hands
5.03 - 40 Yard Dash
1.73 - 10 Yard Split
26 - Bench
4.90 - Shuttle
8.13 - 3-Cone
29.0 - Vertical Jump
7'10" - Broad Jump

Awards:
Melching Leadership Award.
2016 All ACC, Second Team
2015 All ACC, Third Team
Started 39 consecutive games

Evaluation Of Selection:
Another durable interior lineman is spent on back to back picks. Isidora is such a solid player. Of most of the lineman he is one of my favorite ones to watch. He really is one of the best run blocking lineman in this draft and I am not afraid to say that. You watch him and you see him constantly pushing his opponent downfield. Something you like to see with these offensive lineman. He also is pretty solid around the passing game as well

Isidora does have his faults tho. He has struggled as games go on. It seems to be a conditioning thing. He ends up starting to become flat footed in the passing game in the 4th quarter, standing straight up and struggles with his hips. If it is truly a conditioning issue that is something that can be fixed by the time he see's the field.

I do believe Isidora has the ability to start as a rookie at RG. He should have one heck of a battle for the starting spot with Sirles and possibly even Elfein for that spot. If he can work on his conditioning he just fit's our offensive line mold and needs so well.

With the 128th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings Select:

Elijah Lee, LB, Kansas St.

Pro-Day Numbers:
6'2-1/2" - Height
229 - Weight
4.72 - 40 Yard Dash
1.60 - 10 Yard Split
18 - Bench
4.37 - Shuttle
7.05 - 3-Cone
38.0 - Vertical Jump
10'2" - Broad Jump

Stats:
209 Tackles
11 Sacks
5 INT's
3 Forced Fumbles
3 Fumbles Recovered

Evaluation Of Selection:
If you have been following along with me the last two year you would have noticed my obsession with these mix-bread/tweener type linebackers like Su'a Cravens and Shaq Thompson. This year we just may get one that really has more experience at LB that the guys of the previous years. The Vikings are in need of a linebacker that has the ability to play all 3 downs when needed, well here is your guy.

Lee has an great talent of just sniffing out the ball. He is a dependable tackler and has the best coverage ability out of any of these guys in the draft. He does get knocked for tackling too low, not really driving guys back, but the one thing you notice with him is his ability to make the tackle. The ball carrier just doesn't get away from him. He is great during the screen game and can sniff them out from the start and seems to be a great guy to send in after the QB on the blitz. Needs to improve on shedding blockers but that is one thing Zimmer and coaching staff have done a heck of a job of doing with our current players.

Lee is the type of LB Zimmer does like. Fast, solid tacklers, and the ability to get after the QB. With injuries plaguing us at this position also he will be almost guaranteed playing time whether it is at at that 3rd linebacker spot or even becoming "the guy" that needs to step up in case of injury. He also has spent time with Minnesota scouts in interviews and a private workout and will be at the top 30 meetings this year. I'd be thrilled to see the Vikings draft this guy

With the 160th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings Select:

Jalen Myrick, CB, Minnesota

Combine Results:
5'9-3/8" - Height
200 - Weight
31-5/8" - Arms
8-3/4" - Hands
4.28 - 40 Yard Dash
1.41 - 10 Yard Split
13 - Bench
4.22 - Shuttle
7.06 - 3-Cone
37.5 - Vertical Jump
10'4" - Broad Jump

Stats:
93 Tackles
3 INT's
2 Fumbles Recovered
24.5 Kick Return Average
2 Total Touchdowns

Evaluation Of Selection:
This is pretty much one of the "my guy" picks. He has been one of my favorite Gophers football players these past couple of years on the defensive side of the ball or on kick returns. With Patterson gone, he should fill in as the kick returner along with another Gopher Marcus Sherels returning punts. Really happy to see this guy getting recognition and being invited to Minnesota top 30 meeting. If it wasn't for Ross's blazing 40 time Myrick may have been a little bit of the "talk of the combine" during the 40's.

Myrick may never end up being an outside corner but he has the speed and the ability to be a future slot corner. He is fast enough to stick with anybody but his questioning always comes in to his ball skills. Just last year I believe he dropped 4-5 "should have been" interceptions. There is a reason why he is playing cornerback and not wide receiver. Not sure where evaluators are coming up with he struggles to make plays on the ball, he seems to be in the correct position a good amount of time, but is either getting beat by the real big receivers on jump balls or while playing the ball he seems to drop it.

Fix up some catching skills and I think we got a steal in this guy fellas. Hope my former Gopher can land a job and stick in Minnesota for the 2017 NFL season.

With the 199th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings Select:

Robert Davis, WR, Georgia State

Combine Numbers:
6'2-5/8" - Height
219 - Weight
33" - Arms
9-5/8" - Hands
4.44 - 40 Yard Dash
1.54 - 10 Yard Split
19 - Bench
4.28 - Shuttle
6.82 - 3-Cone
41.0 - Vertical Jump
11'4" - Broad Jump

Stats:
222 Receptions
3391 Yards
15.3 Yards Per Reception
17 Touchdowns

Every year the Vikings seem to select a combine "hero" type player. This year, here is your winner. Davis came out and put up some of the best numbers at the combine. People like to judge him on his stats for not having a 1,000 yard season at Georgia State obviously don't watch much Georgia State football.

Davis has the ability to be that deep threat for us. While averaging 15.3 yards per reception you saw he can make plays on the ball. While being raw and really undeveloped, he is much farther along than our flier we took on Moritz Böhringer last year. Davis can come in and fill that role of the deep ball player right away while we have Thielen, Diggs, Treadwell, and Wright get the underneath passes while being possession type receivers.

The Vikings haven't been to any verbal meetings with Davis yet, but that has never stopped the team from drafting certain players. Vikings seem to like to go after the players with great sparq numbers at the skills positions, and this guy fills that. 6th round pick can come in and be that 5th receiver for the Vikings.

With the 232nd pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings Select:

Leon McQuay III, S, Southern California

Pro-Day Numbers:
6'1" - Height
196 - Weight
12 - Bench
33 - Vertical Jump
10'2" - Broad Jump

Stats:
123 Tackles
5 INT's
3 Forced Fumbles
2 Fumbles Recovered

Being honest here, I never really new much about this kid until I saw he was invited to the top 30 meeting for the Vikings. I did find out that he is a pretty dang good player. Will come to a surprise to people, but we are finally going after a safety that is good at tackling for the first time in the draft since we drafted Harrison Smith.

For those of you wondering why he doesn't have much on the Pro-Day numbers it was because of an injury that he is still not fully recovered from after injuring himself during the Shrine Bowl Week. Doesn't mean the kid can't perform. He does have fairly decent speed, plenty of what you need at the safety position. He also does fit with what the Vikings like to do with their safeties, even though never doing much of it out in Southern California. HE never had the opportunity to line up at the line of scrimmage, but he did show he takes good angles while tackling and can make plays at the ball. His biggest struggled from what I watched of him was getting beat over-top. A lot of this could be due to the Cover 3 system he played in, which doesn't seem to fit his playing style all that much. He really isn't much more than a project, but has all the ability to try and develop. Wouldn't be surprised if this was our selection in the 7th round.

Review of Selections:
2nd Round, #48. Minnesota Vikings - Malik McDowell, DL, Michigan State
3rd Round, #79. Minnesota Vikings - Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma
3rd Round, #86. Minnesota Vikings (from Miami Dolphins) - Pat Elfein, C, Ohio St.
4th Round, #120. Minnesota Vikings - Danny Isidora, G, Miami
4th Round, #128. Minnesota Vikings (from Miami Dolphins) - Elijah Lee, LB, Kansas St.
5th Round, #160. Minnesota Vikings - Jalen Myrick, CB, Minnesota
6th Round, #199. Minnesota Vikings - Robert Davis, WR, Georgia State
7th Round, #232. Minnesota Vikings - Leon McQuay III, S, Southern California

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable

Last edited by gopherwrestler on Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Elfein has horrendous athleticism numbers; do you think he just tested poorly?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
Pat Elfein has horrendous athleticism numbers; do you think he just tested poorly?

It's both, watching him you saw he wasn't going to test great. He was never the type of athlete that was going to run fast and I never pay too much attention to lineman's jumping numbers even if they are technically numbers for explosion. If he was a tackle I look a little more into it, but interior lineman I tend to push away from numbers at the combine all-together. What he is tho, is a great blocker, and a great leader. To be honest one of the nice things about center is you are the one who can really get off the ball 1st. He is the one snapping the ball, so he gains that advantage. I also think he did just have a sup-par testing day also.

He also really does know how to use his body and use leverage, one thing he did gain from wrestling and you saw that throughout his career.

One of the few players I'm not exactly worried about athleticism.

-Dan Gable
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid, any draft with Mixon coming to Min i like. I might have went with Roderick Johnson over Elfein in the 3rd, and id prefer Shelton Gibson in the 6th. But nothing i would be disappointed in, just personal preferences.

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric dunn wrote:
Solid, any draft with Mixon coming to Min i like. I might have went with Roderick Johnson over Elfein in the 3rd, and id prefer Shelton Gibson in the 6th. But nothing i would be disappointed in, just personal preferences.

Never really understood the Roderick Johnson on this team hype. He is about as raw as T.J. Clemmings. Nobody should want to see him on the field. There are other tackles in the draft I'd rather take a shot on.

-Dan Gable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: