Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowboys extend TE Jason Witten 4 years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bobikus


Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 9688
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Witten's work as a pass catcher is, if anything, very underrated. Never a gaudy receiving TE? He's had 4 seasons over 1,000 yards. Another 3 over 900. In 223 games.

Tony Gonzalez - 4 over 1000, 5 over 900 in 16 seasons/270 games.

What sort of numbers do people think receiving TE's consistently put up? If anything, (healthy) Gronkowski is the only guy I've at the position you could count on to consistently put up 1,000+ yards. And he has Tom Brady throwing it to him and about as much stability as you could ask for on top of being a transcendental talent.


Witten's been top 5 in receiving yards among TEs 8 times, and lead TEs in yards twice. The league having multiple TEs that can put up 1200+ yard seasons is a pretty new trend. He has 1800 more yards than Shannon Sharpe in as many season played.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dirk Gently


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 6926
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
That whole run should've been negated when his helmet came off.

Still a hell of a play, though.


Wasn't that a recent rule change? Could be wrong.


The rule was changed because of that play. The cowboys have a long tradition of having rules named after them such as the RB face mask rule (Marion Barber), the Horsecollar rule (Roy Williams), the kicking ball rule (Romo), the no removing helmet for celebrations rule (Emmitt Smith), and the most recent "Brice Butler rule" giving teams a warning before penalizing them for improper huddling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dirk Gently


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 6926
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding his receiving ability:

700 yard receiving seasons by a TE

1000 yard receiving seasons by a TE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boltstrikes


Moderator
Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 7219
Location: LA MIRADA, CA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
Regarding his receiving ability:

700 yard receiving seasons by a TE

1000 yard receiving seasons by a TE


Why Witten doesn't put up "gaudy" highlight stats
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CKSteeler


Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 10322
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Witten is that guy people overdraft in their fantasy leagues and then get mad because he doesn't get enough TD's?

TD catches for TE's are an important metric. But throughout his career he was a top receiving TE.
_________________
Mike Tomlin, January 17, 2017 on the avoiding the Patriots in previous playoffs:
"They haven't had to go through us, either. Stay tuned!"
Final: 36-17
NFL.com-BELICHICK OUTCOACHES TOMLIN YET AGAIN
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KManX89


Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 9386
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
That whole run should've been negated when his helmet came off.

Still a hell of a play, though.


Wasn't that a recent rule change? Could be wrong.


The rule was changed because of that play. The cowboys have a long tradition of having rules named after them such as the RB face mask rule (Marion Barber), the Horsecollar rule (Roy Williams), the kicking ball rule (Romo), the no removing helmet for celebrations rule (Emmitt Smith), and the most recent "Brice Butler rule" giving teams a warning before penalizing them for improper huddling.


Yeah, I know the rule didn't exist back then. My point was that it should've been blown dead regardless because of the obvious player safety hazards.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tom cody


Joined: 01 Sep 2007
Posts: 13427
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is his retirement deal. Guy's had a good career, good to see he'll finish it with Dallas.
_________________
I bought one of those tapes to teach you Spanish in your sleep. During the night, the tape skipped. Now I can only stutter in Spanish.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SteelKing728


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 23560
Location: PGH
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he still expected to start?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
renndawg37


Joined: 01 Feb 2010
Posts: 2906
Location: Toronto, ON
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Is he still expected to start?


Is this a serious question?

Obviously he will be their starter...
_________________
ADOPT-A-TITAN 2017/2018
LB Wesley Woodyard
OG Quinton Spain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nova


Joined: 19 Sep 2013
Posts: 1005
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
That whole run should've been negated when his helmet came off.

Still a hell of a play, though.


Wasn't that a recent rule change? Could be wrong.


The rule was changed because of that play. The cowboys have a long tradition of having rules named after them such as the RB face mask rule (Marion Barber), the Horsecollar rule (Roy Williams), the kicking ball rule (Romo), the no removing helmet for celebrations rule (Emmitt Smith), and the most recent "Brice Butler rule" giving teams a warning before penalizing them for improper huddling.


The rule was implemented in 2010 and the Witten play happened in 07, so I'm pretty sure it's unrelated.

Though I remember when the rule was announced, exhibit A on ESPN was always Witten rumbling down the field.
_________________
Elsewhere: Ntegrase96
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nova


Joined: 19 Sep 2013
Posts: 1005
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resilient wrote:
El ramster wrote:
I know Ima get crisp for saying this.. But man he's never been special to me. Such a slow runner who ran some cringe worthy routes.. Dude looked like a cement truck out there..

But he made due and he's built himself a great HOF career.. But no way is he in my top 5 TE's of all time.. He's a great player.. But watching him play i never saw that wow.. His resume speaks for itself though.. Special accomplishments, Just not my cup of tea.


Gronk
Kellen Winslow
Tony G
Antonio Gates
Shannon Sharpe..


Those players are all better TEs at receiving, but all around (blocking) Witten should be in that debate.

Witten was good at routes and fast through his cuts, but definitely had no RAC ability other than barreling through players "tank style"


I would say he's more like a ship in shallow waters-- just kind of bobbing along, not moving very fast but deceptively bringing a lot of momentum.
_________________
Elsewhere: Ntegrase96
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KManX89


Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 9386
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nova wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
That whole run should've been negated when his helmet came off.

Still a hell of a play, though.


Wasn't that a recent rule change? Could be wrong.


The rule was changed because of that play. The cowboys have a long tradition of having rules named after them such as the RB face mask rule (Marion Barber), the Horsecollar rule (Roy Williams), the kicking ball rule (Romo), the no removing helmet for celebrations rule (Emmitt Smith), and the most recent "Brice Butler rule" giving teams a warning before penalizing them for improper huddling.


The rule was implemented in 2010 and the Witten play happened in 07, so I'm pretty sure it's unrelated.

Though I remember when the rule was announced, exhibit A on ESPN was always Witten rumbling down the field.


Like I said, I'm well aware the rule didn't exist at the time. I still think the refs would've been alright to blow the play dead if for no other reason than the obvious player safety hazard.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nova


Joined: 19 Sep 2013
Posts: 1005
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:
Nova wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
That whole run should've been negated when his helmet came off.

Still a hell of a play, though.


Wasn't that a recent rule change? Could be wrong.


The rule was changed because of that play. The cowboys have a long tradition of having rules named after them such as the RB face mask rule (Marion Barber), the Horsecollar rule (Roy Williams), the kicking ball rule (Romo), the no removing helmet for celebrations rule (Emmitt Smith), and the most recent "Brice Butler rule" giving teams a warning before penalizing them for improper huddling.


The rule was implemented in 2010 and the Witten play happened in 07, so I'm pretty sure it's unrelated.

Though I remember when the rule was announced, exhibit A on ESPN was always Witten rumbling down the field.


Like I said, I'm well aware the rule didn't exist at the time. I still think the refs would've been alright to blow the play dead if for no other reason than the obvious player safety hazard.


I was replying to the separate idea that the rule was created because of Jason Witten-- it just seems unrelated given the time between the play and when the rule came.

To your point, I get where you're coming from and apparently the league agrees with you as evidenced by the rule implementation.

But I don't think it makes much sense to blow a play dead based on a rule that doesn't exist yet.
_________________
Elsewhere: Ntegrase96
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Calvert28


Joined: 21 Oct 2006
Posts: 21607
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
That whole run should've been negated when his helmet came off.

Still a hell of a play, though.


Wasn't that a recent rule change? Could be wrong.


The rule was changed because of that play. The cowboys have a long tradition of having rules named after them such as the RB face mask rule (Marion Barber), the Horsecollar rule (Roy Williams), the kicking ball rule (Romo), the no removing helmet for celebrations rule (Emmitt Smith), and the most recent "Brice Butler rule" giving teams a warning before penalizing them for improper huddling.


Yeah, I know the rule didn't exist back then. My point was that it should've been blown dead regardless because of the obvious player safety hazards.


Dont forget the most famous rule named because of a Cowboy. The push off. Irvin.
_________________
GeneralDissaray wrote:
mozwanted wrote:
I don't agree with the pick.Bad teams pick rb's with a top 5 pick.
Moz, bad teams pick in the top 5.That's the way the draft works.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Calvert28


Joined: 21 Oct 2006
Posts: 21607
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:
Surprising, considering his age and lack of athleticism at this point.


Whats surprising. IS that even at his age he still has shown more durability then both Graham and Gronk. And they are younger and far more fit.
_________________
GeneralDissaray wrote:
mozwanted wrote:
I don't agree with the pick.Bad teams pick rb's with a top 5 pick.
Moz, bad teams pick in the top 5.That's the way the draft works.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group