Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowboys extend TE Jason Witten 4 years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobikus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Witten's work as a pass catcher is, if anything, very underrated. Never a gaudy receiving TE? He's had 4 seasons over 1,000 yards. Another 3 over 900. In 223 games.

Tony Gonzalez - 4 over 1000, 5 over 900 in 16 seasons/270 games.

What sort of numbers do people think receiving TE's consistently put up? If anything, (healthy) Gronkowski is the only guy I've at the position you could count on to consistently put up 1,000+ yards. And he has Tom Brady throwing it to him and about as much stability as you could ask for on top of being a transcendental talent.

Witten's been top 5 in receiving yards among TEs 8 times, and lead TEs in yards twice. The league having multiple TEs that can put up 1200+ yard seasons is a pretty new trend. He has 1800 more yards than Shannon Sharpe in as many season played.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
That whole run should've been negated when his helmet came off.

Still a hell of a play, though.

Wasn't that a recent rule change? Could be wrong.

The rule was changed because of that play. The cowboys have a long tradition of having rules named after them such as the RB face mask rule (Marion Barber), the Horsecollar rule (Roy Williams), the kicking ball rule (Romo), the no removing helmet for celebrations rule (Emmitt Smith), and the most recent "Brice Butler rule" giving teams a warning before penalizing them for improper huddling.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding his receiving ability:

700 yard receiving seasons by a TE

1000 yard receiving seasons by a TE
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
Regarding his receiving ability:

700 yard receiving seasons by a TE

1000 yard receiving seasons by a TE

Why Witten doesn't put up "gaudy" highlight stats
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Witten is that guy people overdraft in their fantasy leagues and then get mad because he doesn't get enough TD's?

TD catches for TE's are an important metric. But throughout his career he was a top receiving TE.
NFL.com-BELICHICK OUTCOACHES TOMLIN YET AGAIN
KManX89

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
KManX89 wrote:

The rule was changed because of that play. The cowboys have a long tradition of having rules named after them such as the RB face mask rule (Marion Barber), the Horsecollar rule (Roy Williams), the kicking ball rule (Romo), the no removing helmet for celebrations rule (Emmitt Smith), and the most recent "Brice Butler rule" giving teams a warning before penalizing them for improper huddling.

Yeah, I know the rule didn't exist back then. My point was that it should've been blown dead regardless because of the obvious player safety hazards.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is his retirement deal. Guy's had a good career, good to see he'll finish it with Dallas.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he still expected to start?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Is he still expected to start?

Is this a serious question?

Obviously he will be their starter...
Nova

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
KManX89 wrote:

The rule was implemented in 2010 and the Witten play happened in 07, so I'm pretty sure it's unrelated.

Though I remember when the rule was announced, exhibit A on ESPN was always Witten rumbling down the field.
Nova

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resilient wrote:
El ramster wrote:
I know Ima get crisp for saying this.. But man he's never been special to me. Such a slow runner who ran some cringe worthy routes.. Dude looked like a cement truck out there..

But he made due and he's built himself a great HOF career.. But no way is he in my top 5 TE's of all time.. He's a great player.. But watching him play i never saw that wow.. His resume speaks for itself though.. Special accomplishments, Just not my cup of tea.

Gronk
Kellen Winslow
Tony G
Antonio Gates
Shannon Sharpe..

Those players are all better TEs at receiving, but all around (blocking) Witten should be in that debate.

Witten was good at routes and fast through his cuts, but definitely had no RAC ability other than barreling through players "tank style"

I would say he's more like a ship in shallow waters-- just kind of bobbing along, not moving very fast but deceptively bringing a lot of momentum.
KManX89

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nova wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
KManX89 wrote:

The rule was implemented in 2010 and the Witten play happened in 07, so I'm pretty sure it's unrelated.

Though I remember when the rule was announced, exhibit A on ESPN was always Witten rumbling down the field.

Like I said, I'm well aware the rule didn't exist at the time. I still think the refs would've been alright to blow the play dead if for no other reason than the obvious player safety hazard.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:
Nova wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
KManX89 wrote:

Like I said, I'm well aware the rule didn't exist at the time. I still think the refs would've been alright to blow the play dead if for no other reason than the obvious player safety hazard.

I was replying to the separate idea that the rule was created because of Jason Witten-- it just seems unrelated given the time between the play and when the rule came.

To your point, I get where you're coming from and apparently the league agrees with you as evidenced by the rule implementation.

But I don't think it makes much sense to blow a play dead based on a rule that doesn't exist yet.
Calvert28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
KManX89 wrote:

Yeah, I know the rule didn't exist back then. My point was that it should've been blown dead regardless because of the obvious player safety hazards.

Dont forget the most famous rule named because of a Cowboy. The push off. Irvin.
Moz, bad teams pick in the top 5.That's the way the draft works.
Calvert28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:
Surprising, considering his age and lack of athleticism at this point.

Whats surprising. IS that even at his age he still has shown more durability then both Graham and Gronk. And they are younger and far more fit.
Moz, bad teams pick in the top 5.That's the way the draft works.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: