Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Las Vegas Raiders
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daineraider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapaShogun wrote:
I guess fans just need to realize the NFL teams are a product and "fans" are just customers. NFL owners don't care about legacy within a community as much as they care about dollar signs.

As a 49ers fan these recent franchise moves have reiterated the point that anyone can move anywhere regardless of how much history a team has in one place. I think I would still follow the team if they moved. I think.

Technically they did move. The 49ers should now technically be the Santa Clara 49ers or if you want to go with the metro San Jose 49ers. Not nearly as extreme, but its still a move out of the city they are named after. I like the stadiums that are in the city and are easy to get to if travelling out of state. Raiders new stadium will be right in the center of things in Vegas and will be 4 miles from the airport.

Joe_is_the_best at making sigs
PapaShogun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daineraider wrote:
PapaShogun wrote:
I guess fans just need to realize the NFL teams are a product and "fans" are just customers. NFL owners don't care about legacy within a community as much as they care about dollar signs.

As a 49ers fan these recent franchise moves have reiterated the point that anyone can move anywhere regardless of how much history a team has in one place. I think I would still follow the team if they moved. I think.

Technically they did move. The 49ers should now technically be the Santa Clara 49ers or if you want to go with the metro San Jose 49ers. Not nearly as extreme, but its still a move out of the city they are named after. I like the stadiums that are in the city and are easy to get to if travelling out of state. Raiders new stadium will be right in the center of things in Vegas and will be 4 miles from the airport.

True, they did move technically, but they're still in what as known as the San Francisco Bay area. Back when they played at Candlestick I think most ticket holders didn't even live in San Francisco. We have a lot of surrounding communities with easy access to the city. If they moved out of what is known as the bay area by most locals, then it would feel different. Now it doesn't really.

Warriors are moving back to San Francisco too, but it's not going to be as big a deal as the Raiders leaving for Vegas. Or when they left for LA which was a big thing. When I say move, I guess I mean moving from a local community, not necessarily a city limit.

- Five Time Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers -
1981*1984*1988*1989*1994*
Epyon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bothers me way more than it should.... but:

Shouldn't they like..... change the name from Raiders?

Like the "Raiders" are supposed to be pirates.... and yeah.... Nevada isn't exactly a place where that makes sense....

It would be kind of like the Kansas City Dolphins... it just doesn't quite work.

I can't be the only one bothered by this....
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epyon wrote:

Like the "Raiders" are supposed to be pirates.... and yeah.... Nevada isn't exactly a place where that makes sense....

It would be kind of like the Kansas City Dolphins... it just doesn't quite work.

Las Vegas means the meadows. So yeah the Raiders of the Meadows is a really dumb team name.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epyon wrote:

They are raiding the city of LV with their move.

Makes sense to me.

[quote="SFPatsFan"]

Flaccomania is a genius who is an expert on literally everything he talks about so you should trust him. [/quote]
Non-Issue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epyon wrote:

It doesnt bother me a bit. It's a mascot. It doesnt need to have any relevance whatsoever to the locality. There are no Pirates in Pittsburgh, nor will you find any penguins running around. No tigers or lions roaming around Cincinnati and Detroit. No Cavaliers in Cleveland. No dinosaurs in Totonto. No Gandalf types in Washington. There is no king living in Sacramento or Los Angeles. No angels in Anaheim, no devils in Jersey. And LA aint known for its lakes any more than Utah is known for Jazz.

It's perfectly okay for a team mascot to represent the region. Its also perfectly okay for it to just be a mascot with no regional relevance at all.

Kiltman on the sig!

2016 Adopt-a-Ram Jared Goff:
Comp:99 Att:185 Yards:969 TD:5 INT:7 Rating:65.7
PapaShogun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think most Raiders fans have a clue about the inspiration of the name anyways. Just like a lot of 49ers fans probably don't know what a 49er actually is.

- Five Time Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers -
1981*1984*1988*1989*1994*
daineraider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epyon wrote:

Raider means someone who attacks an enemy in enemy territory. Doesn't have to be on a boat or ship. The name works great for Sin City.

LA kept the Lakers name and have been one of the most iconic franchises in any sport. LA isn't known for their lakes and came from Minnesota. My Utah Jazz kept their name after leaving New Orleans where Jazz music is prominent. Not so much so in Utah, but I would hate to change the name.

Joe_is_the_best at making sigs
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epyon wrote:

I might hate everything about this move, but you're not going to change the name of one of the most iconic franchises in the league.
BayRaider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why in the world would they change the name and risk losing fans? It's one of the most iconic and most recognized team names in American Sports and probably a Top 3-4 fanbase in the NFL. Changing the name virtually does nothing positive for anyone and only has negative side effects.
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

changing the name/colors would annihilate the casual fanbase that ISN'T ticked off about the move
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Epyon wrote:

I might hate everything about this move, but you're not going to change the name of one of the most iconic franchises in the league.

Because that's never happened before?
BayRaider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Epyon wrote:

Browns was an entirely different situation and they HAD to change the name. Oilers were no where near as iconic as the Raiders.

Changing cities and Raiders still maintain probably 97% of their fanbase (media is vastly overplaying the "Oakland is devastated" angle, most don't feel that way) BUT if you change the name/uniforms you probably go from 97% to like 60%. It's not the same team anymore. Even i would have to question my fanhood. I am a fan of the RAIDERS. BLACK and SILVER.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Epyon wrote:

The Raiders are recognized all over the world for their brand and colors. The NFL can't be stupid enough to squander that. Especially since it looks as if the team is becoming successful now.
G

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oakland will never get another team unless the Raiders return. So no need to leave the name. NFL won't be doing Oakland any favors and they saw a HUGE opportunity with Vegas. San Diego and St. Louis might get teams again before Oakland. San Diego stadium sucks but the weather can't be beat for Super Bowls so...Chargers and Rams need to win ASAP to keep fans interested.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: