Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What's your big board? 2017 edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crickett wrote:

May I inquire why so many of you think have Peppers on your big boards?

We have a need at S. We currently have 3 on the roster.

Reggie Nelson is turning 34 and is in the final year of his contract. He made the pro bowl based on his interception numbers but the reality is he was responsible for a lot of big plays. He's lacking range in coverage and is regularly caught taking poor angles in run D.

Karl Joseph looked good as a rookie but is probably better suited as a deep safety because he doesn't matchup well with TEs in coverage.

Keith McGill is bad.

So moving Joseph to deep safety and adding a SS seems like the way to go, at least to me.
Peppers can be that guy and he provides the versatility to play nickel LB as well. The way offenses have exploited matchups with our LBs the last couple of years, it wouldn't hurt.
Peppers is obviously a very good athlete with a lot of upside who hasn't been given the opportunity to settle and learn one position in college. On the back end of the first, i think you can bet on his potential. His ST ability only adds to his value.
alex_93

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not posted in a while (studying law tends to do that!) but I've been lurking around still and keeping an eye of the draft class...

My big board (for when we're picking) would be something like:

1) Zach Cunningham
2) Ryan Ramczek
3) Christian McCaffery
4) John Ross
5) BPA CB / Peppers / McDowell

Although I do like a lot of the corners in round 1, and I certainly think it should be addressed as we could use talent at the position, the class is so ridiculously deep that I think the best value is to sit in round 2 and snap up who's left. Now that Sidney Jones is injured, outside of the top 2 guys at CB, you could argue pretty much the next 10 guys or so would all be late round 1 / early 2 talents.

Also, I see Caleb Brantley mocked to us a lot but his tape just doesn't impress me as much as I thought it would.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you view Reggie Nelson as an average starter(top 5 in 2015 and 30th in 2016 by PFF's ratings), S is very low on our list of needs. Much less spending the pick on a project like Peppers. We already drafted a safety in the 1st last year and we already have Patterson as a gadget/return guy so Peppers' special teams/gadget prowess would be pointless.

MLB, OLB, DT, and CB are all far bigger needs. And you could argue RT, RB, and DE are equally as(if not more) important than.

Drafting a safety in the 1st round makes ZERO sense to me...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our D gave up the most 40+ yard plays in the league last year so replacing our deep safety is a high priority to me.

I agree that LB is higher but that's a big board so it's going to reflect who's the BPA (from my point of view). I think Foster and Reddick are gone before the 20s. I don't think there's another LB woth a 1st although Davis' pro day performance is very intriguing. The one thing i don't like about him is how out of control he seems to play.
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
So moving Joseph to deep safety and adding a SS seems like the way to go, at least to me.
Peppers can be that guy and he provides the versatility to play nickel LB as well. The way offenses have exploited matchups with our LBs the last couple of years, it wouldn't hurt.
Peppers is obviously a very good athlete with a lot of upside who hasn't been given the opportunity to settle and learn one position in college. On the back end of the first, i think you can bet on his potential. His ST ability only adds to his value.

This.

I think the bolded is key. He played very well as a safety/CB. Nobody questioned his instincts or anything else until after he switched to LB. Even then, he still played well. I think people are underestimating the impact of the time required to learn, practice, and prepare for so many different roles. Even if it's only a small piece of each practice, that's time taken away from perfecting his craft in any one spot. If he is given a set position, like SS, I really think he will do well. His ability to play CB, LB, and return punts is icing on the cake.
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

riceraider8080 wrote:
Even if you view Reggie Nelson as an average starter(top 5 in 2015 and 30th in 2016 by PFF's ratings), S is very low on our list of needs. Much less spending the pick on a project like Peppers. We already drafted a safety in the 1st last year and we already have Patterson as a gadget/return guy so Peppers' special teams/gadget prowess would be pointless.

MLB, OLB, DT, and CB are all far bigger needs. And you could argue RT, RB, and DE are equally as(if not more) important than.

I gotta disagree.

Patterson has strictly been a KR. He has a grand total of one punt return in his career. Maybe he has the ability to be a good PR and maybe we use him in that way, but you have to wonder why Minny never used him in that capacity. It's not like he had a huge offensive role that warranted less time on ST.

About Peppers, I don't see him as a project. He did play a lot of positions, but he performed well at all of them. I could see the concern with making him a LB with his size, but a SS/nickel CB would suit him well. He only played one season as a full-time DB but he did it well and has the athleticism and the instincts to get better. He is a gadget player in the sense that he can do so many things, but the "gadget" label is usually given to players who do a few things but don't have a real role. I see Peppers as a guy who can be a very good SS who also happens to be a very good return man and can play nickel and LB in a pinch.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

riceraider8080 wrote:

Peppers is not a project one. People are sleeping on him because he was asked to be everything for Michigan. He's a gamer. A football player and will be a great pro. He compares for me to Eric Weddle coming out of Utah.

Also... Marcus Sherels returns punts for the Vikes. Patterson is a KR only. Different skill set and Peppers is as deadly as they come as a PR.

Bottom line, at 24. It's about BPA. If teams want to sleep on Peppers who IMO is a top 10-15 pick, then he fills a need at SS where the Raiders have struggled for years.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Tebow is not a project. People are sleeping on him because he was did everything for Florida. He's a gamer. A football player and will be a great pro.

They're different for sure, but the way you phrased stuff just reminded me of this. Laughing
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Tebow is not a project. People are sleeping on him because he was did everything for Florida. He's a gamer. A football player and will be a great pro.

They're different for sure, but the way you phrased stuff just reminded me of this. Laughing

Laughing Laughing Come on man.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) foster
2) peppers
3) robinson
4) watt
5) chris mccaff

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Synyster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) do not force a defensive pick
2) do not force a defensive pick
3) do not force a defensive pick
4) do not force a defensive pick
5) do not force a defensive pick
Trojan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

01. Jamal Adams, S LSU
02. Malik Hooker, S Ohio State
03. OJ Howard, TE Alabama
04. Jonathan Allen, DT Alabama
05. Marlon Humphrey, CB Alabama
06. Leonard Fournette, RB LSU
07. David Njoku, TE Miami
08. Christian McCafferey, RB Stanford
09. Cam Robinson, OL Alabama
10. Tanoh Kpassagnon, DL Villanova (trade down target, wanted to include one)
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
Assuming Foster doesnt drop. Definatley a few guys for me at 6-10 though that I think would be comparable to 4 and/or 5.

1. Haasan Reddick LB
2. Malik McDowell DT
3. Jabrill Peppers S
4. Marlon Humphrey CB
5. Jarrad Davis LB

I moving Davis up, loved him early on. Found other prospects I liked and now circling back. Seems of the LB's likely available he is the cleanest prospect. And he has checked the athletic and off field boxes.

1. Haasan Reddick LB
2. Malik McDowell DT
3. Jabrill Peppers S
4. Jarrad Davis LB
OG_C2X

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Top 50 overall prospects

1. Miles Garret
2. Leonard Fournette
3. Jon Allen
4. Jamal Adams
5. Malik Hooker
6. Marshaun Lattiimore
7. Dalvin Cook
8. Marlon Humphrey
9. Jabrill Peppers
10. OJ Howard

11. Reuben Foster
12. Derek Barnett
13. Solomon Thomas
14. Mike Williams
15. Gareon Conley
16. Cam Robinson
17. Jarred Davis
18. David Njoku
19. Adoree' Jackson
20. Charles Harris

21. Christian McCaffrey
22. Zach Cunningham
23. Taco Charelton
24. John Ross
25. Sidney Jones
26. Kevin King
27. Ryan Ramcyzk
28. Garett Bolles
29. TJ Watt
30. Caleb Brantley

31. Obi Melifonwu
32. Teez Tabor
33. Quincy Williams
34. Mitchell Trubisky
35. Corey Davis
36. Malik McDowell
37. Marcus Maye
38. D'Onta Foreman
39. Brad Kaaya
40. Alvin Kamari

41. Gerald Everett
42. Tim Williams
43. Jourdan Williams
44. Curtis Samuel
45. Tre'Davious White
46. JuJu Smith-Schuster
47. Forrest Lamp
48. Budda Baker
49. Takkarist McKinley
50. Pat Mahomes II
Nuke

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All's I know about this draft is that I'm going to be stoked when we draft Jordan Willis.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: