Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jrry32 Cooper Kupp Scenario Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Jrry32 Cooper Kupp Scenario Mock Reply with quote

I felt like tossing out another scenario. I haven't put Kupp in any recent mocks, so I wanted to do one with him in there because I quite like him.
Trade
Rams trade Round 2 Pick #5
Broncos trade Round 2 Pick #19 and Round 3 Pick #37

I heard a rumor that the Broncos like Evan Engram. They also need to address the OL. It's possible that they draft Engram at #20 and trade up to the top of the second for an OL or vice versa.

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #19 - Cooper Kupp WR Eastern Washington
Summary: Kupp owns every major career receiving record across all divisions of college football. He's a four-year starter who has averaged 107 catches for 1616 yards and 18 TDs per year. In 4 games against the Pac-12 during his career, Kupp produced 40 catches for 716 receiving yards and 11 receiving TDs. As a sophomore against Washington, Kupp caught a 41 yard TD against Marcus Peters in man, a 7 yard TD against Marcus Peters in zone, a 27 yard TD against Bubba Baker in man, and 15 to 20 yard catch against Kevin King in man in a game where he posted 8 catches for 145 yards and 3 TDs. On the field, Kupp is extremely technically sound. His route running is advanced for a college WR, and his releases against press are gorgeous. I could nitpick a minor thing or two in his route running that will improve at the next level, but you can tell that he's a guy who works very hard at his craft. Even still, I'd say the strongest part of his game are his hands. He catches almost everything. When he doesn't make a spectacular catch, you want to mark it down as a drop because he usually makes it look so easy. What are the negatives? He's "only" 6'2" 204 pounds and runs a 4.62 40. However, he posted a 4.08 short shuttle and a 6.75 three cone drill, which are highly impressive for a guy his size. It's easy to see that burst, agility, and change of direction ability in his game. Some of you might say, "We have enough slot WRs." I don't care. Whether Kupp plays split end, flanker, or in the slot, he's going to get open, he's going to catch the ball, and he's going to find the end-zone. Let's hope he's doing that for us.

Round 3 Pick #5 - DeMarcus Walker DE Florida State
Summary: Walker's stock is hurt because he's a tweener who only fits in certain schemes. Walker doesn't have ideal size and strength for a 2-gap 3-4 defense and doesn't have the edge speed to be an ideal 4-3 DE. The reality is that Walker fits best in the NFL as a 3-technique, but he's undersized (6'4" 280) for that role. This is to our benefit because he fits perfectly as a LDE in Wade's 1-gap 3-4 defense. Walker posted 68 tackles 21.5 TFLs, and 16 sacks as a senior at FSU. He did the most damage while playing inside. Walker's burst off the ball, ability to get skinny through gaps, polished hand use, and diverse set of pass rush moves make him very difficult to handle when facing off against interior OLs. Walker has a motor that runs hot when he's not fatigued and alpha dog attitude on defense. He's an emotional leader type who leaves it all on the field. He has a diverse set of rush moves and counters along with a powerful punch. Walker also shows the ability to stack and shed blocks in the run game when he plays with leverage. However, Walker needs to be more consistent with his pad level, as OLs can drive him off the ball when he doesn't maintain leverage. As stated earlier, Walker also lacks the juice and bend to win the corner off the edge. He's much more dangerous inside where he can burst through gaps.

Round 3 Pick #37 - Howard Wilson CB Houston
Summary: Wilson only has one year of starting experience due to a torn ACL in 2015 and him declaring after his sophomore year. However, Wilson made the post of that year by posting five interceptions and breaking up 10 passes. Wilson did play as a 3rd CB for Houston as a true freshman in 2014 and played well then too. Wilson has experience in a wide variety of coverages at Houston, but he is a bit raw due to only having one full year of starting experience. At 6'1" 185, Wilson needs to get a bit bigger and stronger, but he doesn't lack the physicality or attitude needed to thrive on the edge in the NFL. He's willing to come up and make tackles in the run game or submarine pulling OLs. As a pass defender, Wilson is a tremendous athlete. He timed slower than expected with a 4.57 40 (many thought he'd run a 4.3 40), but his 6.68 three cone drill and 3.94 short shuttle show his incredible quickness and hip flexibility. Wilson plays fast on tape, has outstanding ball-skills, and shows the ability to mirror WRs with ease. He will climb the ladder to come up with interceptions and breaks on the ball as well as anyone in the class. Wilson will need to improve his hand use in press coverage, but he already shows the patient approach and footwork needed to thrive in it. He'll also need to continue to develop his route and pattern recognition skills, but those will come with time. Wilson offers the Rams a playmaker at CB with the athleticism to be a shutdown CB in press coverage.

Round 4 Pick #5 - Chase Roullier C/OG Wyoming
Summary: I stumbled onto Roullier late, but I really like this kid. As I said before, I like his skill-set for our scheme more than I do Pocic's and Elflein's. He's exactly what Kromer wants. Despite coming from Wyoming (small school), Roullier is a well-coached player exiting a pro style offense (his HC, Craig Bohl, was Carson Wentz's HC). Roullier spent his first two years as a starter at LG before moving over to Center this year. At 6'4" 312, Roullier fits what Kromer looks for in his interior OLs. Roullier is a strong player at the POA with the lower body strength, leg drive, and nastiness to move guys out of the way. Roullier does an excellent job of staying on his blocks and playing through the whistle. He displays sound technical skill and quality body control while blocking on the move. As a pass protector, Roullier shows nimble feet, sound footwork, polished hand usage, and a strong base. Roullier's weaknesses are his lack of experience at Center, his short arms, and his balance in pass protection. Roullier needs to do a better job of adjusting to stunts and twists. He also needs to get used to playing in the Center spot, as he lost his footing due to the bodies around him too often this year. All in all, Roullier is a quality all around player who fits our scheme and has few true weaknesses.

Round 4 Pick #35 - George Kittle TE Iowa
Summary: George Kittle is one of the most interesting guys in this class. He was unheralded going into the Combine out of Iowa. He had solid production as a pass catcher in college but nothing eye popping (other than his yards per catch average). At the Combine, the 6'4" 247 pound Kittle surprised a lot of people by running a 4.52 40 and posting incredible jump numbers for a man his size. However, Kittle is more than just an athlete. What separates Kittle from your typical athletic project is that Kittle is a phenomenal blocking TE. Kirk Ferentz puts out a lot of polished TEs and OLs from Iowa. Kittle is another guy cut from that cloth as a blocker. He is a tenacious run blocker who uses his athleticism, body control, polished technique, and quality strength to create lanes in the run game and take his defender out of the play. Kittle plays through the whistle as a blocker and looks to bury his man. As a pass catcher, he's still developing as a route runner, but he has shown that he has the athleticism, YAC skills, and hands to be a factor.

Round 5 Pick #5 - Ishmael Zamora WR Baylor
Summary: The Rams took their polished, high character WR in Cooper Kupp; now, it's time to take a chance on a guy with freakish athleticism and massive upside. Zamora's stock has taken a massive hit because of the video that surfaced of him beating his dog before the season. It sickens me, but I'm not drafting players to be friends with them. Zamora declared after his sophomore year. He posted 809 yards and 8 TDs in only 10 games. At 6'3"/6'4" 220, Zamora has explosive breakaway speed, the agility to make cuts on a dime, the body control to dominate in the air, and the strength/physicality to impose his will on smaller CBs. Zamora plucks the ball naturally away from his frame and will climb the ladder to attack the ball at its highest point. He also plays to his size. He will push guys around while the ball is in the air and run over DBs after the catch. Zamora's negatives are his character concerns and how raw he is. He ran a very limited route tree while at Baylor, and his route running is very unrefined. In addition to Zamora's incident with his dog, Zamora doesn't give the sort of effort that K.D. Cannon does when the ball isn't going to him. Ultimately, I think his upside justifies the risk at this point in the draft.

Round 6 Pick #5 - Blair Brown ILB Ohio
Summary: At 5'11" 240, Brown isn't the size you expected a 3-4 ILB to typically be. However, Brown plays with total reckless abandon in the run game. When he sees it, he attacks. It doesn't matter who is standing between him and the ball carrier. Brown has no problem attacking fullbacks, tight ends, and offensive linemen in the hole to get to the ball carrier. His play strength for his size is highly impressive, and he showed at the Combine that he has NFL athleticism (4.65 40 and great jump numbers). Brown has excellent instincts and play recognition skills in the run game. He really flies around the field. He's also quite adept at reading and blowing up screens (both HB and WR screens). Brown's weaknesses are mainly related to his cover skills and lack of length. Brown's lack of length makes it difficult for him to disengage once a bigger players latches on. That all said, Brown will still stack the block and clog the hole. In zone coverage, Brown's instincts and recognition skills aren't good. He plays his assigned area but doesn't anticipate routes or make plays on the ball often. He does, however, look to blow up any crossers who enter his area within 5 yards of the LOS. Due to his athleticism, he's quality in man coverage, but he wasn't tested often at the college level. His ball-skills are a question mark in my mind.

Round 6 Pick #22 - Joshua Holsey CB Auburn
Summary: Holsey is on my list of underrated CBs. This is such a deep and talented class that a guy like Holsey can go unnoticed. Holsey had two torn ACLs in his career, so that is a concern with him. However, he has exceptionally quick feet, the speed to run with WRs deep, loose hips, and good ball-skills. He can get a little grabby at times, but as we all know, some CBs use that to their advantage (*cough* Richard Sherman). Holsey is a CB who hides it well and uses it to his advantage. Holsey handled a number of top college WRs, including Mike Williams, during his senior season at Auburn.

Round 7 Pick #16 - Avery Moss OLB Youngstown State
Summary: I'm surprised that Moss isn't getting more hype than this. Moss has some character red flags in his background (from his time at Nebraska) and is a raw pass rusher. However, Moss's physical talent stands out. At 6'3" 265, Moss possesses 34.5" arms and large hands. He has a vicious punch and great lower body power. He was able to overpower a lot of college OLs. He mainly relied on bullrushes and the dip and rip in college. His pass rush moves and hand usage are very unrefined. That's really too bad because he has the punch, length, and power to be a very disruptive pass rusher if he figures out how to use his hands better and attack OTs strategically. Moss needs to learn how to attack the half-man and use his punch/arm length to soften the edge. Moss did show the ability to explode off the line out of a two-point stance in college and some ability to drop into coverage. Additionally, he is a dominant run defender at times. He throws OTs around in the run game and generally plays with good leverage as a run defender. His ability to stack and shed is quite great. He has a nasty arm-over swim move that earns him a number of early wins as a run defender. However, he is an inconsistent run defender because his instincts and positioning are underdeveloped. He needs to do a better job of finding the ball and placing himself in the right spot. He too often allows himself to be pinned inside when he's supposed to set the edge.

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
WR: Robert Woods
WR: Cooper Kupp
WR: Tavon Austin
TE: Tyler Higbee
LT: Andew Whitworth
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: Chase Roullier
RG: Greg Robinson
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: DeMarcus Walker
NT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Aaron Donald
LOLB: Connor Barwin
LILB: Blair Brown
RILB: Alec Ogletree
ROLB: Robert Quinn
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Kayvon Webster vs. E.J. Gaines
SLCB: LaMarcus Joyner
FS: Maurice Alexander
SS: Mark Barron

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Pharoh Cooper
PR: Tavon Austin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt be happy with this scenario. I would think/hope that if Engram were to be on the board at 37 we would be the ones taking him. Even if we were to give up the rights for him to add a pick, IMO thats way too early for Kupp (who I like as a player).

Not a huge fan of Walker as he is a tweener, also a good player though.

Also quite early for Wilson. His length, speed, and 3-cone time suggests that he will do well at the next level, but he doesnt show man cover skills on tape so that leaves me with questions. Not his fault as he doesnt decide the scheme, but there are plenty of other corners that have shown the ability to play man.

I respect that you did something a little different, but I wouldnt be happy with this if it were to happen.

1. Corey Davis, WR, WMU
2. Forrest Lamp, G/C, WKU
3. Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss
4. JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
I wouldnt be happy with this scenario. I would think/hope that if Engram were to be on the board at 37 we would be the ones taking him. Even if we were to give up the rights for him to add a pick, IMO thats way too early for Kupp (who I like as a player).

I'd take Kupp over Engram. I'd definitely take Kupp and Howard Wilson over Engram.

Quote:

But he's not a tweener for our scheme. It fits him like a glove. It's one of the few schemes that actually does.

Quote:
Also quite early for Wilson. His length, speed, and 3-cone time suggests that he will do well at the next level, but he doesnt show man cover skills on tape so that leaves me with questions. Not his fault as he doesnt decide the scheme, but there are plenty of other corners that have shown the ability to play man.

Quite early for Wilson? People were talking about him as a potential second round pick not long ago. This is literally the spot for Wilson. And I can't disagree more with you about him in man coverage. His man cover skills are outstanding for a guy with his experience level. His athletic traits, ball-skills, and ability to mirror make him a very sticky cover man.

In fact, I think his man cover skills are significantly better than his zone cover skills at this point in time because he still needs to improve his pattern and route recognition skills.

Quote:
I respect that you did something a little different, but I wouldnt be happy with this if it were to happen.

Suffice to say that we don't see eye-to-eye on these players.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah one of the rare times we'll just have to agree to disagree. Its all good.

1. Corey Davis, WR, WMU
BStanRamFan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't be thrilled with this. Not a Kupp fan. I like that you added a WR with some size and hands, but I don't see Kupp creating separation in the NFL on the outside.

I'm satisfied with a DE group of Donald, Brockers, Easely. I don't like the idea of taking a 4th DE with such an early pick when we have so few. Higher positions of need. Solid scheme fit though.

I do like the late round pick though (Kittle on). Just not a fan of the first 3.
LARams91

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big fan of Wilson, Rouillier, and Blair Brown so I wouldn't be too unhappy if this were to play out.
RamPackFan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:

Also quite early for Wilson.
Quote:
His length, speed, and 3-cone time suggests that he will do well at the next level
, but he doesnt show man cover skills on tape so that leaves me with questions. Not his fault as he doesnt decide the scheme, but there are plenty of other corners that have shown the ability to play man.

numbers don't mean jack, dude...lol. Horrible way of analyzing anyone. Jeff Maehl, holds the record for 3-cone drill, where's he?
RamPackFan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your best mock yet! I like this one Smile
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a very smart Draft Weekend, and while not flashy at all, would really help this roster.

Thats one of the things I have come to the conclusion of, this roster needs alot of depth added. I would probably like to see another Lineman somewhere, but we got the one we needed. I would trust us to grab a UDFA or two to compete with our Underwhelming depth.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RamPackFan wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

Quote:
His length, speed, and 3-cone time suggests that he will do well at the next level
, but he doesnt show man cover skills on tape so that leaves me with questions. Not his fault as he doesnt decide the scheme, but there are plenty of other corners that have shown the ability to play man.

numbers don't mean jack, dude...lol. Horrible way of analyzing anyone. Jeff Maehl, holds the record for 3-cone drill, where's he?

1. Youre weirdly assuming Im talking about Kupp and his poor 40 time which is incorrect so you clearly didnt read my post in its entirety.

2. I dont EVER analyze a player based on combine numbers only, but there are tests that can be VERY helpful. There is good evidence that shows DBs 5'11" or taller with a sub 4.5 40 and a 3 cone 6.87 or lower have had big success in the NFL.

3. Rams scouting dept will be using analytics like these a lot more now that Fisher is gone so get used to it.

1. Corey Davis, WR, WMU

Last edited by DEE RAWL on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I'm all for Roullier so that's great to me. Some of the others are new players for you but I definitely feel this draft makes the Rams better.
BEASToftheEAST4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not crazy about this one... and I'm a fan of Kupp. I just don't think this helps the team as much as it could.

They can't all be zingers. It's alright.
RamPackFan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
RamPackFan wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

Quote:

1. Youre weirdly assuming Im talking about Kupp and his poor 40 time which is incorrect so you clearly didnt read my post in its entirety.

2. I dont EVER analyze a player based on combine numbers only, but there are tests that can be VERY helpful. There is good evidence that shows DBs 5'11" or taller with a sub 4.5 40 and a 3 cone 6.87 or lower have had big success in the NFL.

3. Rams scouting dept will be using analytics like these a lot more now that Fisher is gone so get used to it.

got it ...makes sense. I think many people get tunnel vision by these impressive combine numbers done in shorts and a t-shirt (not implying you- just in general).
chris00cm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of Kupp the prospect. Even if I was, he's a redundant asset on the offense in my opinion. Like Woods and Cooper, I see him having most success in the slot. I'd rather have Zamora honestly, whose value will skyrocket after his pro day.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Pauline regarding your "3rd round" prospect Howard Wilson today at Houston's pro day

Quote:
Now for the bizarre.

Redshirt sophomore Howard Wilson ran the forty in the high 4.5s (4.58s), similar to the time he ran at the combine.

Then thing got really strange.

Wilson refused to participate in position drills. When scouts asked if he was injured he told them no, it was recommended he not take part in drills. Scouts tried to coax him into drills by reminding him Myles Garrett, expected to be the first pick of the draft, was scheduled to work out on Thursday. Wilson would still not participate in drills.

Later on Wilson was throwing the ball to former Cougars signal caller Greg Ward Jr, who was warming up for receiver drills. According to eye witnesses someone ran down and yelled for Wilson to stop throwing the ball- which he did.

We rated Wilson as a free agent before all this took place and this only affirms our grade.

1. Corey Davis, WR, WMU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: