Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Malik McDowell (DT, Michigan State): Where does he go?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:
Still there at #17 in the consensus draft. The Redskins will not take him. So, not the top half of the round and not immediately after.

Which teams are 3-4 in their base D? The Chiefs might take him at #27. anyone earlier? Some mocks put him mid second round.

J

There is no reason to see him just as a 3-4 type of player.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
reamer wrote:
The problem isn't "being outlandish" though. There are reports that he refuses to practice, refuses to listen to the coaching staff, etc. I would never have him on my board.

There's a lot of different reports out there regarding him, and we'll honestly never know the truth. From what I've heard from some friends is that he and the coaching staff didn't agree on a lot of things (including his personality) and they tried to change him as a person and he lost respect for them for it. Not saying either is right or wrong, and I'm not saying that's a good thing either, but this issue is not as straight forward as "he's completely uncoachable". Coaches can completely mishandle situations too. So you have to look into details (of which we have 0 that are anywhere close to anything other than he said she said) to really determine where on the board he's going to be placed.

Maybe they felt he needed to change him as a person because his immaturity and stubbornness was preventing him from receiving coaching, playing his role, and putting the team first?

Mark me down as a firm "no" to Malik McDowell. I can look past a lot of things, but the way he acted in college isn't one of them. I recognize the talent, but I'm not going to take the risk with him.
what immaturity and stubbornness? What exactly did he do that makes you believe with such certainty that he is an issue? What "way" did he act in college that is so impossible to look past?

How did McDowell fail to put the team first? Was it when he was a monster at defensive end? Or was it when he gained weight to play on the interior, and even nose tackle, because they failed to recruit enough players qualified to actually see the field there?

How do you know he failed to receive coaching? You know, Michigan States DL coach teaches an edge rush in a certain way that you don't see many players use unless it is taught. McDowell used it perfectly in his time at Michigan State. He didn't rush "his way", he did it the way his coach taught him to. But I guess he doesn't receive coaching well.

McDowell certainly isn't perfect, but I don't get why everyone is so quick to believe rumours spread from a program that doesn't like players leaving early, from a coaching staff that never wants to be challenged, and from a coach that needs someone other than himself to take the blame for his short comings. McDowell is an easy target because he's a kid from Southfield, he had a strange recruitement, he has never been someone willing to just blindly follow orders, and he left the school early (which gets twisted as being greedy, not caring about the team, not being committed, etc.). A coaches job is more stable when everyone thinks their star player was some giant concern that the coach had to work around. We went through this entire deal last year with Connor Cook and Ronnie Stanley. Connor Cook "couldn't be trusted", was "cocky", and wasn't a "leader". Ronnie Stanley supposedly didn't care about football and lacked motivation. This year Malik McDowell "isn't a team player", "didn't try in practice", and "didn't listen to his coaches". DeShone Kizer is painted as being mentally weak and damn near schizophrenic...

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
Duffman57

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
reamer wrote:
The problem isn't "being outlandish" though. There are reports that he refuses to practice, refuses to listen to the coaching staff, etc. I would never have him on my board.

There's a lot of different reports out there regarding him, and we'll honestly never know the truth. From what I've heard from some friends is that he and the coaching staff didn't agree on a lot of things (including his personality) and they tried to change him as a person and he lost respect for them for it. Not saying either is right or wrong, and I'm not saying that's a good thing either, but this issue is not as straight forward as "he's completely uncoachable". Coaches can completely mishandle situations too. So you have to look into details (of which we have 0 that are anywhere close to anything other than he said she said) to really determine where on the board he's going to be placed.

Maybe they felt he needed to change him as a person because his immaturity and stubbornness was preventing him from receiving coaching, playing his role, and putting the team first?

Mark me down as a firm "no" to Malik McDowell. I can look past a lot of things, but the way he acted in college isn't one of them. I recognize the talent, but I'm not going to take the risk with him.
what immaturity and stubbornness? What exactly did he do that makes you believe with such certainty that he is an issue? What "way" did he act in college that is so impossible to look past?

How did McDowell fail to put the team first? Was it when he was a monster at defensive end? Or was it when he gained weight to play on the interior, and even nose tackle, because they failed to recruit enough players qualified to actually see the field there?

How do you know he failed to receive coaching? You know, Michigan States DL coach teaches an edge rush in a certain way that you don't see many players use unless it is taught. McDowell used it perfectly in his time at Michigan State. He didn't rush "his way", he did it the way his coach taught him to. But I guess he doesn't receive coaching well.

McDowell certainly isn't perfect, but I don't get why everyone is so quick to believe rumours spread from a program that doesn't like players leaving early, from a coaching staff that never wants to be challenged, and from a coach that needs someone other than himself to take the blame for his short comings. McDowell is an easy target because he's a kid from Southfield, he had a strange recruitement, he has never been someone willing to just blindly follow orders, and he left the school early (which gets twisted as being greedy, not caring about the team, not being committed, etc.). A coaches job is more stable when everyone thinks their star player was some giant concern that the coach had to work around. We went through this entire deal last year with Connor Cook and Ronnie Stanley. Connor Cook "couldn't be trusted", was "cocky", and wasn't a "leader". Ronnie Stanley supposedly didn't care about football and lacked motivation. This year Malik McDowell "isn't a team player", "didn't try in practice", and "didn't listen to his coaches". DeShone Kizer is painted as being mentally weak and damn near schizophrenic...

I definitely agree with this to some extent. He kind of pulled the same thing that Clowney did at the end of his career, where he kind of pulled off the gas when he realized his team wasn't in it for everything, and that on top of everything that you mentioned, made him an easy target. But we compare that to Fournette and a few others who sat out their bowl game and never got as much as a question about their dedication to the team. The criticism for McDowell has gotten hugely out of proportion IMO.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
DraftHobbyist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that the reason media members haven't talked about McDowell is because they aren't sure about him. He could go Top 15 or in the 3rd Round. They don't exactly want to be touting him everywhere or hating on him everywhere and then be very wrong. I would say that when they do get quiet on a prospect, though, it usually leans towards being a bad thing. Media members are usually out to make prospects look good, not bad. I think that's a big reason they don't talk much about Day 3 guys because in order to do that then they have to rip on the guy quite a bit in order to show why he's Day 3 and not Day 1.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
reamer wrote:

I definitely agree with this to some extent. He kind of pulled the same thing that Clowney did at the end of his career, where he kind of pulled off the gas when he realized his team wasn't in it for everything, and that on top of everything that you mentioned, made him an easy target. But we compare that to Fournette and a few others who sat out their bowl game and never got as much as a question about their dedication to the team. The criticism for McDowell has gotten hugely out of proportion IMO.

And now we're going through it with Kizer as well. Brian Kelly is a scumbag in my book.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: