You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Malik McDowell (DT, Michigan State): Where does he go?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still there at #17 in the consensus draft. The Redskins will not take him. So, not the top half of the round and not immediately after.

Which teams are 3-4 in their base D? The Chiefs might take him at #27. anyone earlier? Some mocks put him mid second round.

J

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:
Still there at #17 in the consensus draft. The Redskins will not take him. So, not the top half of the round and not immediately after.

Which teams are 3-4 in their base D? The Chiefs might take him at #27. anyone earlier? Some mocks put him mid second round.

J

I could see Elway taking him at 20 depending on how the board falls.

48 1/2ers wrote:
Ostriches have inverted knees and they're pretty athletic...

GIF of Ostrich Running Here...

The Wheat Grass Shooting Hippies made me get rid of it...
brownie man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who has worse character concerns him or Nkemdiche?

Cause Nkemdiche's rookie season was truly cause for concern, and if Malik is worse than that I'll gladly pass

I never even predicted Kizer to fail, I simply said he was an over drafted project. Now tell me that I am wrong in that regard.

^^^^
This dude is gonna look real bad
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brownie man wrote:

Cause Nkemdiche's rookie season was truly cause for concern, and if Malik is worse than that I'll gladly pass

That's a valid point. He isn't a better player than Nkemdiche. Throw Tim Williams name in there as well.

J

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brownie man wrote:

Nkemdiche's character concerns were more about his interest in the game. McDowell’s are whether he would become a bona fide locker room cancer. I’d say the concerns with the latter are much greater.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:
brownie man wrote:

That's a valid point. He isn't a better player than Nkemdiche. Throw Tim Williams name in there as well.

J

I disagree entirely. Nkemdiche is more similar to Solomon Thomas in this draft class. He wasn't very consistent, but when Nkemdiche was on, he could absolutely tear apart a teams' gameplan. McDowell is just about on the level of Deforrest Buckner last year IMO, and although he's a little different as a player, he's got that freakish length and strength to match anyone. With those length and strength guys, you are rarely ever going to see good vertical numbers (which is what made Armstrong so freakish), but his linnear explosion was really good, and he shows the kind of bend you dream about in a DE on tape, though he didn't run the combine drills to prove it. He can legitimately play all across the DL, and has at Michigan state. McDowell is another one of those guys who's struggling with the "hype fatigue", because he's been hyped as a top 10 pick since early last season. The Character concerns are really my only issues with him, and even that I'm not too concerned about. His length and strength will play at every level, and his quickness/getoff and fluitity are enough to beat NFL OL. His handwork can be iffy sometimes, but its a matter of being more consistent in that regard, and that's something that most College DL come in to the league needing to learn anyway, in terms of placement and punch, he's fine.

He's a better player than Nkemdiche at this point by a significant amount, we'll see about the Character issues, but generally, being outlandish isn't what kills an NFL career, especially under the right coach. If the right coach gets a hold of him, than he's going to be a star IMO.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
reamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem isn't "being outlandish" though. There are reports that he refuses to practice, refuses to listen to the coaching staff, etc. I would never have him on my board.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reamer wrote:
The problem isn't "being outlandish" though. There are reports that he refuses to practice, refuses to listen to the coaching staff, etc. I would never have him on my board.

There's a lot of different reports out there regarding him, and we'll honestly never know the truth. From what I've heard from some friends is that he and the coaching staff didn't agree on a lot of things (including his personality) and they tried to change him as a person and he lost respect for them for it. Not saying either is right or wrong, and I'm not saying that's a good thing either, but this issue is not as straight forward as "he's completely uncoachable". Coaches can completely mishandle situations too. So you have to look into details (of which we have 0 that are anywhere close to anything other than he said she said) to really determine where on the board he's going to be placed.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
gah112

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He seems like the kind of player that could thrive in a more professional environment. His issues are completely different from Nkemdiche's - he doesn't lack passion for the game.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Malik McDowell (DT, Michigan State): Where does he go? Reply with quote

Selkiesxx wrote:
I'd think as far as talent goes... he belongs at least in the top-25 so maybe to the Giants at #23 or the Raiders at #24 but I've seen a consensus of early-to-mid second round for McDowell.

What do you guys think?

Giants definitely have him on their board and they seem to be doing their homework on him. Talented player, but as others said questionable motor. My viewpoint as always been if you're a DT with a questionable motor, I wouldn't risk taking them in the 1st round.

The caveat to that is if you're 330+ pounds. If you're that big, I'll give you a pass on having a questionable motor. Guys that are under 300 lbs. shouldn't have motor issues coming out, IMO. Talent is there though, so if he does well in the interviews and reviews from their college coaches (which we really can't tell as internet scouts) then maybe pull the trigger.

Looks like a player that will do well initially and in contract years, but will be going through the motions other times...
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gah112 wrote:
He seems like the kind of player that could thrive in a more professional environment. His issues are completely different from Nkemdiche's - he doesn't lack passion for the game.

I totally agree with this,
tom cody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a guy that comes with a lot of risk. Still think a team rolls the dice on him in the late 1st round.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
riceraider8080

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSURacerDT55 wrote:
gah112 wrote:

I totally agree with this,

Mark Dantonio is probably one of the most professional style head coaches in college football. Being professional is about not making waves, working hard, and doing what is asked of you. Buying into the team...

I think people are trying to say that he needs an environment where he can "be himself" and that makes him a good fit for the Seahawks pretty much...

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
reamer wrote:

There's a lot of different reports out there regarding him, and we'll honestly never know the truth. From what I've heard from some friends is that he and the coaching staff didn't agree on a lot of things (including his personality) and they tried to change him as a person and he lost respect for them for it. Not saying either is right or wrong, and I'm not saying that's a good thing either, but this issue is not as straight forward as "he's completely uncoachable". Coaches can completely mishandle situations too. So you have to look into details (of which we have 0 that are anywhere close to anything other than he said she said) to really determine where on the board he's going to be placed.

Yeah, people really do have to consider the source. Dantonio is entrenched at Sparty - if last season wasn't enough to get him replaced, he's got a looooong leash, so any press from regular State outlets are going to naturally take up the program/coaches' side over that of a departing player because their consumers are far more likely to want to hear positive things about the former than the later (welcome to media as a consumer industry vs actual journalism).

For all we know, McDowell saw his program tailspinning away from even qualifying for bowl eligibility and decided to protect his investment in himself (really no different than Clowney "taking his last season off" and taking plays off so as to not end up like Marcus Lattimore and losing a lot of money). The media love to blow this kind of stuff out of proportion, too. Look no further than Charles Walker for that. All the onus of the media's stories were about him "quitting on his team ahead of their bowl game" and you were lucky to find even a reference to the fact that he was doing it because he suffered another in a long line of concussions and opted to leave the team early to protect his investment in himself (and his ability to at least get drafted or still stay on priority FA radar for pro teams) so that he could ensure being able to financially support his family. But naaaah... program first, things like player health or thinking business-smart come a distant 100th to that, right?

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
reamer wrote:

Maybe they felt he needed to change him as a person because his immaturity and stubbornness was preventing him from receiving coaching, playing his role, and putting the team first?

Mark me down as a firm "no" to Malik McDowell. I can look past a lot of things, but the way he acted in college isn't one of them. I recognize the talent, but I'm not going to take the risk with him.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: