Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Malik McDowell (DT, Michigan State): Where does he go?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selkiesxx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Malik McDowell (DT, Michigan State): Where does he go? Reply with quote

Is it just me or has there been zero talk of Malik McDowell the past three months? Entering the college season, I remember he was right behind Myles Garrett.

Personally, I think he's got unreal upside and if put in the right situation could be the best interior defensive linemen from this class. That said, I'm still not sure where he'll go in the draft.

I'd think as far as talent goes... he belongs at least in the top-25 so maybe to the Giants at #23 or the Raiders at #24 but I've seen a consensus of early-to-mid second round for McDowell.

What do you guys think?

@michaelsbodam (Twitter)
bananabucket

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High bust potential.. I know I wouldnt take a guy with a questionable motor with my first pick.
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on where he goes or how much has he matured mentally.
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say late first to mid 2nd. People forget his character issues are just the beginning when it comes to red flags for him as a prospect - his film isn't exactly clean, either.
LuckIsGOAT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's another Arik Armstead
Trailblazers
Canucks
Luck & RG3 fan
lark25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should not be in the same conversation as Garrett. I don't see any reason why people think he has a similar level of upside.

Seems to have the bodytype of a 3-4 DE where there are better athletes.

He's only a slightly above average athlete, nothing freakish there. For a guy that recorded 1.5, 4.5 and 1.5 sacks in his 3 college seasons with known work ethic issues would I spend a first on him? No way.
Crickett

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote in my mock draft that Malik McDowell has the upside to be Tennessee Titans Albert Haynesworth and the downside to be Washington Redskins Albert Haynesworth, and I still think that's true. He's someone who offers the versatility to play 4-3 end, 4-3 under, 4-3 nose or 3-4 end and do it at a high level. He basically was the Michigan State defense. But he's also someone who has shown a willingness to give min effort when things aren't going his way and went to the combine and talked about how the coaches conformed to his play style because they couldn't change or improve him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he was the guy he was last season and didnt have the character concernsx, I'd take him top 5. But hearing what I heard about his character and work ethic...and what coaches/teammates think of him, he's a 3rd round pick. Way too risky to take early, but no doubt has the potential to be the best DT in the league.
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately if he is there at #24, he could be the pick. We have some great characters in our locker room, but I don't trust this kid.

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take a shot at him in the 2nd. Really wouldn't hate to see the Vikings do it.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckIsGOAT wrote:
He's another Arik Armstead

Way more athletic, way more physical. Just nuts
TheFinisher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's got impressive quickness, balance and flexibility for someone his size, the physical traits are reminiscent of ex-Vikings DT Kevin Williams. I have no idea to what level his character concerns are, but if you can tap into that potential this kid could be a perennial all-pro 3T. He's still only 20 years old, I'd love Dallas to scoop him if he drops to 28. There aren't many guys in the league with his physical tools.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's gonna be a boom pick IMO. Far too much talent not to be. Hope Oakland gets him.

Yo buddy quit trolling yeah.
riceraider8080

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With effort level and maturity questions, i could see him going as early as #17 to Washington or fall to the late 2nd/early 3rd.

If i were a GM i wouldn't touch him. I dont think a strong lockerroom can change him. If you dont wanna play hard for a coach like Mark Dantonio, i doubt youll wanna play for any coach.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riceraider8080 wrote:
With effort level and maturity questions, i could see him going as early as #17 to Washington or fall to the late 2nd/early 3rd.

If i were a GM i wouldn't touch him. I dont think a strong lockerroom can change him. If you dont wanna play hard for a coach like Mark Dantonio, i doubt youll wanna play for any coach.

I don't get this. Dantonio has basically been all about high character guys in his program that totally "buy in", and really hasn't had that many issues that I can recall of guys being headaches. I don't really think he knew how to deal with someone who was a headache and tried to micromanage it. I feel like Dantonio may have gotten really strict on McDowell on things that didn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, but weren't part of "Dantonio's way", and that became a sticking point.

I think McDowell seems like one of those guys like Brandon Marshall or Michael Bennett (or even someone like Gronk), where if you let him be a little bit outlandish, and don't try to micromanage every little detail, he's going to play his [inappropriate/removed] off for you. He's going to be a little bit of a distraction, but not in such a way that it makes him a huge issue. I'd be totally comfortable with him top 10 IMO (and honestly, he's one of the guys I like for the Chargers at 7). I think his character issues are overblown. But at the same time, we're not privy to any of the information that the scouts and teams are, and we'll realistically never get the true (unbiased) story of what went on at Michigan State. He just doesn't seem like he's a huge problem to me, I feel like he was mishandled by the coaches there.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: