Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Whaley on the way out?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Trentwannabe


Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 6781
Location: Igloo, Canada
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Whaley on the way out? Reply with quote

Jason La Canfora (who in fairness had the Rex being fired in-season news first) had an article out the other day that had this in it:

Quote:
And I continue to hear that new Bills coach Sean McDermott has growing cache with ownership and that team could be bringing in vice presidents and/or personnel figures with ties to the coach in the near future.

Panthers director of player personnel is someone particularly well thought of who could end up in Buffalo after the draft in one capacity or another. There are already rumblings that the marriage of McDermott and Bills Gm Doug Whaley likely isnít built to last.


http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/redskins-casting-wide-net-in-gm-search-that-might-ultimately-result-in-few-takers/

Add in the news that Whaley is not speaking at the draft luncheon this season (something every GM has done for the last two decades) and it seems like the writing is on the wall. At the very least guys like Monos and Kelvin Fisher could be in trouble after the draft.

Thoughts?
_________________

Thank you NickChowaniec!

Trust the Process.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leeevans83d


Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 2776
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note: I don't like JLC, and I find him to be wrong about the Bills more often than not.

But if he is right, it really is a shame that Whaley can't get along with his coaches. He is a heck of a scout. Just not a people person. It just seems like there's too many cooks in the kitchen with McDermott, Whaley, and the Pegulas. The Pegulas always want to have a say, and there seems to be a power struggle already.

I don't want this to turn into the situation in Washington where we hire a VP of player personnel and still try to have a GM. I truly don't know how to view this. I'd like to give McDermott all the power but I know the Pegulas want a say at all times. I dunno.
_________________
GO BILLS/SABRES
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
BillsGuy82


Joined: 16 Jan 2007
Posts: 12416
Location: Niagara Falls
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got no problems with this
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
leeevans83d


Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 2776
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we've had one bad draft with Whaley at the helm. Just saying...
_________________
GO BILLS/SABRES
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
cdavls17


Joined: 28 Jan 2007
Posts: 3933
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is more of media's frustration with the bills keeping a tight lip and maintaining limited contact with the media. The media has been saying since week 14 that Whaley was on his way out. Then Pegula said whaley will take the reins as finding the head coach which i find is true. Using tyrod as one of the main reasons of them fighting is ridiculous. The mismanagement of handling the end of the year situation the way it came out and discussed however the move was the correct move to prevent harm for the future of the bills. Not once did the bills state he was going to get cut nor have they said they were fielding calls for a trade yet the media assumed so. Once again the media came out looking like clowns and they are continuing to do so in hopes that the media makes waves to pressure the owner to make the move.

As for whaley he needs to figure out how to handle things in the limelight but as an actual GM he has done everything he could to bring in talent. Look at guys like Alexander or zach brown last year, Incognito the year before. Trading for hughes, and shady all have been spectacular moves. some hiccups such as the cassel and bryce brown moves but those we blips compared to these massive impact players he has brought in that were hidden gems. I hope he stays on for the potential of bringing in new talent to help win games and getting the bills in contention.
_________________


Thanks Max
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trentwannabe


Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 6781
Location: Igloo, Canada
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leeevans83d wrote:
I don't think we've had one bad draft with Whaley at the helm. Just saying...


meh. If you don't want to put any of 2013 on him that is fair to an extend but 2014 has turned out Watkins, P. Brown and Kouandjio...this time next year only Watkins may be left.

2015 aint any better as Darby had one good year and one bad year so far. Miller was a tremendous pick but nobody else is worth a damn and not having a 1st that year killed us.

2016 is obviously too early to tell but the two injuries at the top don't help. Though Ragland tearing his ACL could not be foreseen, they clearly dropped the ball on Lawsons shoulder.

Whaley is definitely best at finding the mid tier free agents making me believe he is better suited as a pro personnel guy than the full time GM.
_________________

Thank you NickChowaniec!

Trust the Process.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leeevans83d


Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 2776
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
leeevans83d wrote:
I don't think we've had one bad draft with Whaley at the helm. Just saying...


meh. If you don't want to put any of 2013 on him that is fair to an extend but 2014 has turned out Watkins, P. Brown and Kouandjio...this time next year only Watkins may be left.

2015 aint any better as Darby had one good year and one bad year so far. Miller was a tremendous pick but nobody else is worth a damn and not having a 1st that year killed us.

2016 is obviously too early to tell but the two injuries at the top don't help. Though Ragland tearing his ACL could not be foreseen, they clearly dropped the ball on Lawsons shoulder.

Whaley is definitely best at finding the mid tier free agents making me believe he is better suited as a pro personnel guy than the full time GM.


I am of the belief that he had a major say in who we drafted in 2013, but Nix had the final say so. He could have vetoed any of those picks.

2014 was decent for us. We got some talent for the present time then. 2015 got us two starters even though we didn't have a 1st round pick. Granted, Darby took a step back last year (Ryan Bro's??)

Last years' draft was sweet, after the first round. Ragland in the 2nd and Washington in the 3rd was sweet. I thought Lawson was a Rex pick all the way. We all knew he has a hard-on for anything Clemson. He didn't care what was up with his shoulder, but just wanted Clemson talent on his defense. Whaley and the medical staff took the fall for that.

But yeah, Whaley does his best work in the mid-to-late rounds and has found numerous gems in low-buck guys via UDFA and FA.
_________________
GO BILLS/SABRES
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
cdavls17


Joined: 28 Jan 2007
Posts: 3933
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per rotoworld as of todays conversation with McDermott:

Bills coach Sean McDermott said he has a good relationship with GM Doug Whaley.
McDermott said his transition to working with Whaley has been "seamless" and the pair have "healthy conversations."


It may be a lie or it may be true and the media is out to get whaley and make him look like the villain. In that same article it adds this:

Reports suggest otherwise, with Jerry Sullivan of the Buffalo News saying it is "only a matter of time" until Whaley is fired. Even if Whaley sticks around, Tyrod Taylor's presence on the roster suggests the coach carries more clout than the general manager at this point.

Basically the media covering up each others BS accusations. To attack whaley and then say even if he doesnt go it clearly shows McDermotts qb tyrod taylors presence shows that Whaley doesnt have any say is ridiculous. No one knows except McDermott Whaley and Pegulas as to whether or not they wanted tyrod to stay. The media is trying to make click bait for fans to read in order to secure their crappy reporting existence.
_________________


Thanks Max
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leeevans83d


Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 2776
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdavls17 wrote:
Per rotoworld as of todays conversation with McDermott:

Bills coach Sean McDermott said he has a good relationship with GM Doug Whaley.
McDermott said his transition to working with Whaley has been "seamless" and the pair have "healthy conversations."


It may be a lie or it may be true and the media is out to get whaley and make him look like the villain. In that same article it adds this:

Reports suggest otherwise, with Jerry Sullivan of the Buffalo News saying it is "only a matter of time" until Whaley is fired. Even if Whaley sticks around, Tyrod Taylor's presence on the roster suggests the coach carries more clout than the general manager at this point.

Basically the media covering up each others BS accusations. To attack whaley and then say even if he doesnt go it clearly shows McDermotts qb tyrod taylors presence shows that Whaley doesnt have any say is ridiculous. No one knows except McDermott Whaley and Pegulas as to whether or not they wanted tyrod to stay. The media is trying to make click bait for fans to read in order to secure their crappy reporting existence.


Yep. The Sullivan article was just an opinion. This is just like the Tyrod stuff earlier this offseason. Every media guy said they were sure Tyrod would be gone, yet the Bills never even hinted that he wouldn't be the QB this season. The leaks stopped coming out when Rex was canned, and ever since, the media has been starving for info, and since they haven't gotten any, they feel they have to make stuff out of thin air.
_________________
GO BILLS/SABRES
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Buff Naked


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 838
Location: Kitchener, ON
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with Whaley. I think he has helped us. I believe the reports though as when you fire the GM is after the draft to keep the intel in team.
_________________
"Dear Bills, it's not too late to circle the wagons" - Chris Berman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cdavls17


Joined: 28 Jan 2007
Posts: 3933
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree on the reports and the reason i disagree is if the pegulas truly wanted whaley gone he would have been after the season. why keep a guy on to be the key factor in hiring a hc if your going to can him 2 months later just to avoid giving up Draft intel? If you wanted to keep draft intel then he should have been gone, and a new GM should have been hired at the end of the season along with McDermott.
_________________


Thanks Max
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group