Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

15 Proposed NFL Rule Changes to be voted on
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its another bang-bang play and its really tough for a Ref to watch the hit and the ball to know if it came before, during or after the catch on the other side of the field. More safety rules. And I doubt the competition committee would have endorsed it if it weren't a problem. I agree with your swivel comment, but apparently the NFL feels differently and will continue to legislate big hits out of the game. Defenseless Defenders now get more protection on crack back blocks too
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And I doubt the competition committee would have endorsed it if it weren't a problem.

That's some nice circular reasoning there. It seems to assume the competition committee isn't a political tool in anyway. The NFL had to cough up quite a bit of money over accusations it wasn't doing enough. And there are teams and coaches who probably feel their teams benefit competitively from certain rule changes compared to others.

I laughed when Goodell talked about instant replay changes as if they were a done deal before there was even any discussion or voting done. I was told by many posters around these parts in no uncertain terms that Goodell has nothing to do with such changes and that the competition committee is entirely independent. As if Goodell and the league office don't direct any of it, even on things the owners vote on. Because that's what they get paid to do.
NFL.com-BELICHICK OUTCOACHES TOMLIN YET AGAIN
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Quote:
And I doubt the competition committee would have endorsed it if it weren't a problem.

That's some nice circular reasoning there.

The competition committee gets lots of suggestions from all the teams, the Refs, the NFLPA and others. Then they conduct a triage session and pick the ones they want to bring up for discussion and table the rest.

So anything that makes it that far is considered important. You can argue over who it was important to - but protecting defenseless players is a point of emphasis for the league and has been for the last 5+ years.

No circular reasoning needed, the facts are in evidence for anybody who has been paying attention.

As far as Goodell, you'd have to be pretty dense to think that he, as the mouthpiece of the league, didn't have backroom discussions and /or be briefed on everything going on before he gets in front of the mic.

He knew the outcome of the Vegas vote before it happened because that's his job. To know what his members are thinking. The vote itself is mostly ceremonial and for the press/fans.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
Viewsfromthe206 wrote:
Apparently the "leaper" rule is going to pass. So dumb

Agree 100%. One of the more exciting plays on special teams.

All 32 teams voted for that change to pass and it was pushed by the NFLPA. I didn't think it would be remotely controversial, and it wasn't. I think we have to care a little bit about reducing injury risk to the players.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: