Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

15 Proposed NFL Rule Changes to be voted on
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lancerman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: 15 Proposed NFL Rule Changes to be voted on Reply with quote

1. Philadelphia: More protection for long snappers during kicking situations

2. Philadelphia: Cannot attempt to block a field goal or extra point using a "leaper"

3. Philadelphia: The "crown of the helmet" foul would also include the "hairline" part of the helmet

4. Philadelphia: Challenge changes explained above

5. Washington: No longer a limit of three challenges per team, and no longer a requirement that a team wins its first two to earn the third

6. Washington: Touchback is at the 20-yard line if the kick goes through the uprights

7. Buffalo and Seattle: Coaches can challenge any play but ones ending in points or turnovers

8. Competition Committee: Permanent rule ejecting a player with two specific types of unsportsmanlike fouls

9. Competition Committee: Touchback goes to the 25-yard line for one year only

10. Competition Committee: Overtime rules explained above

11. Competition Committee: Receivers running routes are protected as defenseless players

12. Competition Committee: Backfield players in motion cannot execute crackback blocks

13. Competition Committee: Sideline replay monitors to be replaced by hand-held devices; also designates officials to make final decisions on reviews

14. Competition Committee: Committing multiple fouls on one play to influence the clock is an unsportsmanlike conduct

15. Competition Committee: Actions to conserve time following the two-minute warning would be illegal
eagles101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link? A lot of these are clearly missing parts. 0/10 post.

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 Proposed NFL Rule Changes to be voted on Reply with quote

Quote:

2. Philadelphia: Cannot attempt to block a field goal or extra point using a "leaper"

Hard pass.

Quote:
3. Philadelphia: The "crown of the helmet" foul would also include the "hairline" part of the helmet

11. Competition Committee: Receivers running routes are protected as defenseless players

Harder pass.

Quote:
6. Washington: Touchback is at the 20-yard line if the kick goes through the uprights

Awesome.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Why? It's incredibly rare, difficult to pull off, highly athletic and skillful, and I've never seen anyone get hurt. What is the possible objection to this?
2016 - Julian Edelman WR: Rec: 98 Yds: 1106 TD: 3
gopherwrestler

eagles101 wrote:
Link? A lot of these are clearly missing parts. 0/10 post.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/23/nfl-to-consider-15-new-rules-6-new-bylaws-3-new-resolutions/

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
cddolphin

ChazStandard wrote:
Quote:

Why? It's incredibly rare, difficult to pull off, highly athletic and skillful, and I've never seen anyone get hurt. What is the possible objection to this?

"muh player safety"
eagles101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 Proposed NFL Rule Changes to be voted on Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
Quote:

Hard pass.

Quote:

Harder pass.

Quote:

Awesome.

6 is easily the worse rule. Its just nonsense. This isnt the xfl.

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 Proposed NFL Rule Changes to be voted on Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
Quote:

Hard pass.

Quote:

Harder pass.

Quote:

Awesome.

2 is clearly the worst rule. Fix your protection scheme and get your own freak, intelligent athlete

#1 ET Supporter
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Damn, that'd be sweet. Not big deal, plus adds some spice to the kicking game.

D#######
cddolphin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 Proposed NFL Rule Changes to be voted on Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:

I understand that sentiment, but it's so bad it's good. It's only 5 yards.

I don't think teams would seriously even attempt this, since it makes more sense to just kick it short, both in terms of yardage and potential turnovers.

I suspect that the real reason behind this potential change is that the NFL moving up the kickoff line and changing the touchback start to the 25 yard line backfired on them and actually made kickoff returns more prevalent, as teams simply kick short on purpose now in order to allow their coverage teams more time to tackle the returner.

Last edited by cddolphin on Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 Proposed NFL Rule Changes to be voted on Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:

Quote:

I honestly don't see how that would be compared to the XFL.
Increases the value of a kicker a little bit, and I mean it is only 5 yards.

I mean it is a better rule than some of the other ones. I'd rather see that than shortening the OT rule. Not a fan of that. I realize we don't see a lot of ties but there has been 12 min drives in the NFL before.

Giants started on the twenty against the Vikings in the playoffs and has the ball for almost 13 min and ran out the clock on the game and didn't even score on the drive.

Kind of cruddy if your defense was to actually stop them without scoring and they ran the clock all the way out of time and the other teams offense would never even get a shot at scoring.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm the only one who supports proposal 2. The problem is that you are going to going to see long snappers trained to snap their heap up and absorb the contact with their face, to draw a 15 yard penalty. You literally are not allowed to line up over the center because supposedly they are too focused on snapping the ball that they can't protect themselves. If that is a rule, then having them worry about players jumping over them is a more obvious extension of that. I expect this rule to pass.

#14 is the removing John Harbaugh's hold everyone and take an intentional safety play. That should pass as well.

I love #6. They badly need to make kickoffs more interesting and this is the only way to do it, while also eliminating returns. Also, my team has Justin Tucker Cool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
Quote:

While I agree with this and like it too, they'd have to review it if another team believes it didnt make across the upright which means more time for the game which nobody wants........

If this were to pay I'd definitely make it nonreviewable.

el Ramster did the awesome sigNature!
Xander Cage wrote:
I like anything fast enough to do something stupid in.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

44 wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
Quote:

While I agree with this and like it too, they'd have to review it if another team believes it didnt make across the upright which means more time for the game which nobody wants........

If this were to pay I'd definitely make it nonreviewable.

FGs aren't reviewable, so this wouldn't be either.

They'd need to spot two officials under goal post, meaning two less watching for the block in the back on 80% of kick returns. I'm ok with that too.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:

#14 is the removing John Harbaugh's hold everyone and take an intentional safety play. That should pass as well.

So how would it work? If that play happened and there were 7 holds they would be penalized an unsportmanlike and the game would be over anyway?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: