Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Expectations: Wide Receivers/Tight Ends
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siman08/OH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Expectations: Wide Receivers/Tight Ends Reply with quote

In 2014, we had the leagues #1 offense. Nelson and Cobb were pro bowlers and nobody gave a thought to the position.

In 2015, Nelson went down early and everyone panicked. Our team offense dropped to 15th, and there was alot of questions regarding Aaron Rodgers as a player/leader/ect. Davante Adams was labeled as a bust for not saving the position.

In 2016, our offense returned to form and ended up being ranked 4th. Nelson returned, Cook was signed and Adams had a breakout year.

For 2017 our projected depth chart pre-draft goes as follows:

Jordy Nelson
Davante Adams
Randall Cobb
Geronimo Allison
Trevor Davis
Jeff Janis

Martellus Bennett
Lance Kendricks
Richard Rodgers

Alot has been written about the Packers "fixing" the tight end position. Bennett IMO is an upgrade over cook, and Kendricks is an upgrade over Rodgers.

Now to the receivers. Nelson is on the wrong end of 30. Will Adams continue to develop into a top 10 option? Will Randall Cobb stay healthy for a full season and play to his potential he showed in 2014? How will Geronimo's impeding suspension effect him? Will Trevor Davis make a jump? Does Jeff Janis stay on as a ST guy? Will we draft anybody?

FWIW, ESPN released an article today stating we don't have a top 10 unit.

Discuss!
RCobb18

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the league announced the suspension for Allison? I don't recall hearing anything about that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give a rats arse what espn posts...

Here's the write-up on Allison from last spring

GERONIMO ALLISON, WR, Illinois

Basics: From Tampa, Fla. Played two seasons at Illinois, catching 106 passes for 1,480 yards (14.0) and eight touchdowns. Academically ineligible for football until his senior year in high school. Played two seasons in junior college (Iowa Western). Went to the NFL combine. Only surgery was for a broken arm in 2013. Made pre-draft visits to Dallas, Houston and Tampa Bay.

Measurables: 6 feet 3 inches, 198 pounds, 40-yard dash time of 4.59 seconds. Vertical jump of 34 inches, broad jump of 10 feet, 7 inches. Didn't bench press at the combine or pro day. Score of 13 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. Arms measured 32 7/8 inches, hands were 9 inches.

NFC scout: "He's got a chance. He lacks explosion, speed and separation quickness. You like his ball skills and size, and he is an athlete."

NFC scout: "Hardworking receiver probably was a victim of the scheme and the (coaching) transition there. It was a little unsettling. Good ball skills. In the middle of the road for speed and quickness, but has ideal size. Should be able to compete."
vegas492

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a difficult time coming up with 10 other offenses greater than GB's.
Rodgers
Monty
Rip
Nelson, Cobb, Adams, whomever
Bennett, Kendricks
That O Line.

Who is better? Oakland? Dallas? Atlanta? I'm struggling to come up even a half dozen teams.

The issue in GB isn't going to be offense. Unless the issue is that even GB's offense can't bail out it's defense.
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
smetana34

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Bay's WR corp isn't Top 10? Yeesh. Who's better?

Uncle Buck: "I'm expecting Kate Beckinsale to dump her husband and run away with me."
incognito_man wrote:

you probably have better odds of running off with Tebow.
Siman08/OH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/18976548/ranking-nfl-best-teams-every-position-post-free-agency-2017-offseason

1. New England Patriots
2. Atlanta Falcons
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
4. New York Giants
5. Seattle Seahawks
6. Oakland Raiders
7. Pittsburgh Steelers
8. Los Angeles Chargers
9. Kansas City Chiefs
10. Dallas Cowboy

This is a joke right?
Donzo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved:

I'm in the camp with the people looking for Davis to breakout in year two. Allison having a better rookie season just means he was more advanced as a rookie, nothing else... Year two will tell us a lot more about both.

Looking at Davis, I was concerned about his weight and production at Cal... He's a boundary guy, so if he gets to 200 lbs, he'll be OK... in 2015, Cal played a bunch of receivers. They'ed go 4-wide a lot and played 8 guys and Goff would spread the ball around. Going by memory, but I think they had 6-guys with 40-50 catches that year and another 5-guys with 10-20 catches- it was a system thing.

For skillset, he's excellent... 6'2, fast, he can jump, has soft hands and made some tough catches at Cal... I remember watching his combine video on youtube, it talked about all this.

Back on RJF, gotta love his attitude. I think Daniels and Clark are gonna get most of the snaps on the DL. RJF will be an excellent fill in.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR is the most fascinating position on the team because it could go from being the least needed position on the team (besides QB) to the most needed in one off-season. Adams is a FA, Cobb is overpaid and Nelson is going to start declining here soon. I could see us staying ahead of the curve and drafting a WR in round 2-3, someone like Zay Jones, Josh Malone or Chad Hansen are my favorites.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
WR is the most fascinating position on the team because it could go from being the least needed position on the team (besides QB) to the most needed in one off-season. Adams is a FA, Cobb is overpaid and Nelson is going to start declining here soon. I could see us staying ahead of the curve and drafting a WR in round 2-3, someone like Zay Jones, Josh Malone or Chad Hansen are my favorites.

I can see this happening, but I can't help but think that we will wait until next year to draft Jordy's potential replacement. Allison was too good down the stretch to overlook, Davis should improve, Janis is solidified as a ST. I can see us drafting someone late perhaps, but the PS would be their best destination. I also agree that Cobb is overpaid. Perhaps we could tag on another year and restructure his contract?

I also have a hard time believing that we avoid the TE position in the draft. Bennett is a stop-gap, Kendricks is an excellent TE2, but we need a younger player with similar skills to develop within that mix so we can relegate Richard Rodgers to the TE4 of the team.

...and I'll say it again until he's gone: he should go back to his successful career as a playwright...
PackyAttacky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:

Moving Nelson to the slot full time should help prolong his decline.
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say Green Bay has a top 10 receiving corps. At all.
PackyAttacky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On topic though. Adams should be a better number 2 or 1 whatever you call we play a match up offense. Jordy is going to be here a while chasing records if he wants to be. Him in the slot is deadly, Cobb gets it together or gets cut. Allison stays clean and can have a long career, that is way too tough to predict though. Bennett can bust, but most likely will be breaking records with us.
wgbeethree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackyAttacky wrote:
On topic though. Adams should be a better number 2 or 1 whatever you call we play a match up offense. Jordy is going to be here a while chasing records if he wants to be. Him in the slot is deadly, Cobb gets it together or gets cut. Allison stays clean and can have a long career, that is way too tough to predict though. Bennett can bust, but most likely will be breaking records with us.

I said the same thing in the FA thread but regarding Cobb it's really about whether you think he can avoid getting dinged up. Healthy he's still a GREAT weapon.

He missed the ATL game and the last couple games of the regular season.

In the 9 games prior to missing time and after missing time (presumably him "healthy")....

57 catches 640 yards 5 TDs

In the 7 games in between missing time (presumably him "dinged up")

22 catches 222 yards 2 TDs

If you extrapolate his "healthy" numbers over 16 games he finishes 2016 in the top ten in the league for receptions, yards, and TDs.

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
PackyAttacky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgbeethree wrote:
PackyAttacky wrote:

I said the same thing in the FA thread but regarding Cobb it's really about whether you think he can avoid getting dinged up. Healthy he's still a GREAT weapon.

He missed the ATL game and the last couple games of the regular season.

In the 9 games prior to missing time and after missing time (presumably him "healthy")....

57 catches 640 yards 5 TDs

In the 7 games in between missing time (presumably him "dinged up")

22 catches 222 yards 2 TDs

If you extrapolate his "healthy" numbers over 16 games he finishes 2016 in the top ten in the league for receptions, yards, and TDs.

Perfect then keep him. Money should not be a problem next year. Adams and Haha and Linsely, Taylor won't break the bank.
DraftHobbyist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our plan has to be to absolutely take a WR. The question is when. I don't think we have to panic and reach on a guy, but if we can get value at any point in the Draft, including the 1st Round, we should take it. I think Corey Davis fits this team really well and could fall with his injury, especially if he isn't pay to work out at his personal day. I think John Ross combines an elite speed trait with quickness, being an actual football player, beating presses, playing through contact, etc., so I'd be interested in him. Chris Godwin tested better than I expected, and his film is excellent. I love him, and I think he's a perfect fit for us. I think Chad Hansen proved that his athleticism is quite good to go along with some very good tape, and I again think he's a great fit for us. Noah Brown came in with a faster-than-expected 4.55 40, and at his 6'2" 222 lb size, he combines some good tape with size and pretty solid athleticism.

Those are mainly 1st or 2nd Round picks. If you're looking for a later pick, Fred Ross is a guy not many are talking about but I really like. I liked his tape a lot, but I worried about his athleticism. He tested better than I expected, and he actually had quite a lot of production. He had 72 receptions for 917 receiving yards and 12 TD's. Ross accounted for over 1/3rd of his team's receiving yards, and 1/2 of his team's receiving TD's. I think Fred Ross fits what we want to do, and he is a guy where value could really meet the pick late in the Draft. He is a late Day 3 projection from everything I've read.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: