Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Total Control GM Mock Draft II Results

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What grade would you give this?
A+
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A-
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
B+
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
B
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
C
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Worse than a C
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

winitall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Total Control GM Mock Draft II Results Reply with quote

Not being a Cardinals fans I was curious if you guys had any opinions on how I did? I thought it turned out pretty well IMO and I got a lot of future assets.

Arizona Cardinals

Starter
Free Agent
Resign
Draft Pick
Traded For

Offense

QB: Carson Palmer, Matt Barkley, Drew Stanton, Zac Dysert
RB: David Johnson, Darren McFadden, Donnel Pumphrey, Stepfan Taylor
WR: Larry Fitzgerald, ArDarius Stewart, Jaron Brown
SLOT: Phillip Dorsett, JJ Nelson, Jaron Brown
LT: DJ Humphries, Bradley Sowell, Matt Tobin
LG: Mike Iupati, Patrick Omameh, David Sharpe, Taylor Boggs
C: AQ Shipley, Jon Toth, Tony Bergstrom, Evan Boehm
RG: Dan Feeney, Cameron Erving, David Sharpe, Cole Toner
RT: Chris Clark, Matt Tobin, David Sharpe, John Wetzel
TE: Darren Fells, Troy Niklas, Hakeem Valles
WR: John Brown, Jehu Chesson, Marquis Bundy

Defense:

LE: Robert Nkemdiche, Damion Square, Ed Stinson
NT: Corey Peters, TY McGill, Xavier Williams
RE: Caleb Brantley, Haloti Ngata, Josh Mauro
LOLB: Charles Harris, Julius Peppers
ILB: Deone Bucannon, Zaviar Gooden, Scooby Wright III
ILB: Kelvin Sheppard, Koa Misi, Ben Gedeon
ROLB: Markus Golden, Kareem Martin
CB: Patrick Peterson, Justin Bethel, Jacoby Glenn, Trevor Hartfield
FS: Tyrann Mathieu, Shamarko Thomas
SS: Ladarius Webb, Tyvon Branch
CB: Cordrea Tankersley, Crevon Le'Blanc, Leonard Johnson, Ron Brooks

Special Teams

K: Chandler Catanzaro
P: Matt Wile
LS: Aaron Brewer

Practice Squad

RB De'Veon Smith
OT Storm Norton
WR Travin Dural
QB Trevor Knight
RB Barry Sanders Jr.
ILB Hardy Nickerson
CB Jamal Agnew

Future Draft Picks
1st
1st from Bills
2nd
3rd
3rd from Raiders
4th
5th
6th
7th

Position Battles:

RT: Chris Clark vs. Matt Tobin
C: AQ Shipley vs. Jon Toth
RB2: Darren McFadden vs. Donnel Pumphrey

Current Cap Space: ~8,500,000
2018 Cap Space: ~100,000,000 (after Carson and Fitz retire)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial thoughts:
1. Carson Palmer doesn't play for this team, he'd walk away. Loses 2 of his closest friends(Veldheer/Gresham) and 2 of our best players(Campbell/Jones) from a year ago, with nothing significant coming in.
2. Why would the Cardinals want to bring back the dead weight that are Matt Barkley and Bradley Sowell? These guys were let go for a reason, and it certainly was not $$, it was because they are garbage.
3. Actually similar to the approach GM Steve Keim is making, lose all our talent and sign a bunch of has-beens and hope there's something left in the tank. Guess we got some draft picks out of it in this case though.
4. Curious about our D-line, I'd assume Rodney Gunter was traded because there is no way Ed Stinson is better than him, and Josh Mauro is probably a starter on the roster you've listed, not 3rd string.
winitall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cards_FTW wrote:
My initial thoughts:
1. Carson Palmer doesn't play for this team, he'd walk away. Loses 2 of his closest friends(Veldheer/Gresham) and 2 of our best players(Campbell/Jones) from a year ago, with nothing significant coming in.
2. Why would the Cardinals want to bring back the dead weight that are Matt Barkley and Bradley Sowell? These guys were let go for a reason, and it certainly was not $$, it was because they are garbage.
3. Actually similar to the approach GM Steve Keim is making, lose all our talent and sign a bunch of has-beens and hope there's something left in the tank. Guess we got some draft picks out of it in this case though.
4. Curious about our D-line, I'd assume Rodney Gunter was traded because there is no way Ed Stinson is better than him, and Josh Mauro is probably a starter on the roster you've listed, not 3rd string.

Thanks for the feedback but I'm not sure I agree with all of those points.

1. If Carson were to retire because of those reasons that is his decision but would be extremely dumb IMO. Lost Campbell and Jones but they got 20 million and 17.5 million respectively which is more than they are worth IMO. I think I replaced them adequately and the team is overall in a better position than it was last season.

2. They each got 1 year deals for basically the vet min. If neither has improved over the last year they either don't get brought back or cut in camp. However they both started a very solid number of games last year. Sometimes the experience helps things to click for a guy. Seems very low risk and high reward IMO.

3. Curious what Has-beens you are referencing? The only two older players that I added are Lardarius Webb and Julius Peppers. Webb had 73 tackles and 5 pass defensed last year. Peppers had 7.5 sacks last year. Both seem like guys that still have a year left and came cheap. Don't really see a downside as stop gaps.

4. Gunter not being included is only an oversight. And curious who you would rather Mauro start over?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Maybe better set-up for the future but I don't see a better team. I don't see anything noticeably different on the offensive side of the ball unless John Brown's health issues are gone. Defensively, I see a unit that is worse across the board, maybe a wash/improvement in the secondary if Mathieu returns to the form he showed before his 2nd ACL tear. We had a top-10 offense and defense last season, they were good units, just having incompetent special teams(variety of reasons, starting with the unqualified coach who still has his job but also personnel decisions) and a head coach(play-caller) making bonehead decisions cost us half the games we lost. Everyone knew we were going to lose talent, the point is some was retain-able.

2. Sure, camp cuts, Generic players, but there's no high-reward. Sowell had 5 years with our staff and Wetzel showed more at all 4 positions(neither play C) on the OL in 1 than Sowell showed in 5, and neither should be playing regular season football. Barkley's on his 4th team in 2 years for a reason, at best he carves out McCown's career because he's a football nut.

3. Yeah, referring to Peppers and Webb, along with Ngata and McFadden though he's more of a never-healthy than a has-been. Their best days are behind them, don't have issues with them as stop-gap players, just don't see elite talent coming in, but its going out.

4. I mean we don't normally start rookies and Nkemdiche doesn't seem to understand concepts so he's probably a situational pass-rusher at this point. I have Gunter/Mauro/Rucker as our base DEs(no order until evaluated in new year) with Nkemdiche as a situational pass rusher and Pierre as a giant ? for our actual roster, with Stinson probably cut(barring injuries in preseason).

I mean, I'd probably rather have your offseason than the one we've had so far, because I do believe our window has closed and yours sets us up better for the future(Bills 1st, if Palmer walked away less wins that could cost jobs), but it looks like we're headed to the same loop of a near decade ago, unless we can find a QB we can build around.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: