Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Diamonds in the Rough: Outside the Top 150
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkb_63

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Diamonds in the Rough: Outside the Top 150 Reply with quote

With practically 5 picks (#145, #171, #181, #185, #188) outside the Top 150 there's a good chance we'll be picking at least 3 times late in the NFL Draft. Who are 3 players you're high on in the late rounds and why?

Replies to be based on the CBS Sports Rankings, which I've included here:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

My selections are:

1. FS John Johnson/Boston College - Prior experience at corner, needs work on his form tackling, but has natural instincts in coverage and goes for the ball rather than just trying to break up a pass. Really showed up at the combine, and although may not have top-end speed, his agility and acceleration were among the best at the Safety position.

2. RB Tarik Cohen/NC A&T - Hyped as the Human Joystick. If you watch his film Darren Sproles immediately comes to mind. Despite his small frame (5'6"), he was used as a workhorse RB, setting a school record in 2016 with 1,588 yards and 19 touchdowns on 212 carries (37-339, one TD receiving). Has 10"+ hands and snags the ball effortlessly on screens, bubbles, and intermediate routes.

3. ILB Blair Brown/Ohio - Lead the team with 128 stops, 15 of which went for losses, and 4.5 sacks. Was typically used as a "Find Ball, Get Ball" downhill attacker with little responsibilities in the passing game (No Passes Defensed in 2015 or 2016). Brown is an incredibly skilled tackler with quick diagnosing instincts, and complementary great play strength and leverage to shed would-be blockers.
roger murdock

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The running back from wyoming will be a star.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My three would be:

1.) Shaquill Griffin, CB UCF: elite athleticism at CB and great size, good technical skills, and extremely underrated in a deep CB draft.

2.) Damontae Kazee, CB San Diego St.: Opposite of Griffin in that he has average size and athleticism, but has good instincts that could make him a potential convert to FS or off corner to let him use his playmaking ability to jump routes and breakup passes in front of him.

3.) Sam Rogers, FB Virginia Tech: Bowling ball of a player who is a guy that won't wow you will his physical appearance or athleticism, but is a good football player that teams like Green Bay or New England seem to find and utilize often.

- Props to 64 CHAMPS for the awesome sig -
BleedTheClock

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:
The running back from wyoming will be a star.

Brian Hill? No way man. I love his playing style, but he's really slow and not that powerful.
H2ThaIzzo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnu Smith
Jamaal Williams
Shaquil Griffin
Ryan Switzer
Jalen Reeves-Maybin
KD Cannon
Michael Roberts
TJ Logan
Lorenzo Jerome
Xavier Woods
Brian Hill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea. Been looking at a lot of these guys while doing 7 round mocks. My favorites:

1. Shaquill Griffin CB Central Florida. A full-sized corner that is athletically gifted, and has good ball skills. Allowed just 32% completion on passes thrown his way. Recognition skills are lacking, but that is what coaching is for.

2. De'Angelo Henderson RB Coastal Carolina. Sawed off lil fella from a D2 school, but has traits that will serve him well as a pro. Patience, vision, change of direction, leg drive, soft hands out of the backfield, a willingness to knock a blitzing linebacker in the mouth, and etc. He's also fast. My #2 day 3 RB who would fit this offense (#1 is Jeremy McNichols of Boise State, but he did not qualify for this game at 144).

3. Treyvon Hester DT (3T) Toledo. Plays up and down the line, but does his best work as a penetrating UT, with 8 TFL and 5 sacks his senior year. Good athlete with lateral movement skills to sidestep reach blocks. If all other 3T options in the draft don't fall our way, we could do worse with one of our our 6th round picks.
buno67

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony kukwa

TE/Long snapper

I think he could be diamond in the rough

I know he got a lot of his NFL hype off of his long snapping ability but measured in at 6'4 and has decent weight, no official number on his weight tho. They said at the Toledo pro day he ran a 4.57 and 4.6 but that is hands so more likely in the 4.6s. He was told by scouts to not release the info and had a 10-feet, 7-inches in the broad jump.

He went to my HS and the college but I never played football with him. Dude was one hell of an athlete. I know out of school he had a scholarship for Ball St but they wanted him to move to DE. His girlfriend had another child too so he transferred to a school closer.

I know during the fall camp, he had 20 NFL scouts visit him to see him practice his snapping but with his size and athletic ability they are looking at him as a legit TE too

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will have to scout Shaquil Griffin more, didn't standout on my first pass through. Just watched the Arkansas State game only.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkb_63 wrote:
Will have to scout Shaquil Griffin more, didn't standout on my first pass through. Just watched the Arkansas State game only.

Not much else out there in youtubeland on him. I think the prevailing thought in this forum is that draft for measurables in the 5th round and beyond.

If you fail, err on the side of H/W/S.
candyman93

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like everybody mentioned on this thread. My #1 future stud is Taywan Taylor. I have no idea where he lands.

2016 Adopt a Brownie - Joe Schoebert & Christian Kirksey
DizzyDean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The QB Hue likes the most Very Happy
BleedTheClock

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isaiah Ford WR Virginia Tech

-Terrible combine will cause his stock to drop. Productive. Good hands, awesome catch radius, runs a complete route tree. Timed slow, but gets on top of coverage with ease.

Parker Collins C Appalachian State

-Love this dude. Mean and nasty. Smooth moving interior OL that finishes dudes with power. He is probably my most "shocking" player in the top 100 players in the draft. I don't even see him in mock drafts that are 7 rounds long.

Des Lawrence CB North Carolina

-He's going to be a good #2 corner for someone. He reminds me a lot of a young Tramon Williams. Just a real consistent football player that tackles well, plays well in the press, off, man, and zone. No great physical traits and a deep class drop him down.

Joseph Yearby RB Miami Fl.

-This guy is actually really talented. Has great explosiveness and agility. Catches the football well. A solid pass blocker that could contribute on all downs. Shifts his way out of arm tackles, but not a powerful inside runner. Average to below average size.

Jeremy Sprinkle TE Arkansas

-A complete TE prospect that can run block like an extra OT and catch passes like Jason Witten. He's going to go in the 5th-6th round due to a deep class and a stupid off-field incident, but he's going to be like Kyle Rudolph in the NFL IMO.

Kendall Beckwith MLB LSU

-I still think he goes in the top 100, but nowhere else seems to have him go before the 4th round. I'd be shocked if he was there that late. He's such an instinctive player. Great tackler, good in coverage. Fast diagnoser. Poor athlete though. I'd take him in the 2nd round and my player comparison for him is D'Qwell Jackson.

Simmy Kantstandyabitz TE Adams State

-Explosive off the line of scrimmage. Rips around LB's to bend the seam. Dominated small school competition. Considered a miniature Gronkowski. Could become the first TE over 7 feet tall to ever be drafted. Not much of a blocker considering his size, but he should fare well in the red zone.

Elijah Hood RB North Carolina

-I think he's worthy of a 2nd round pick. I see him going undrafted by most mock sites. Runs with great balance and power. Hits the hole with great urgency and is never caught being indecisive. Good hands out of the backfield. Should be a better pass blocker with his size and despite hitting the hole fast, doesn't have homerun speed.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BleedTheClock wrote:
Simmy Kantstandyabitz

Swear to god you're not making that name up.
candyman93

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
BleedTheClock wrote:
Simmy Kantstandyabitz

That name alone is worth the #1 pick in the draft.

2016 Adopt a Brownie - Joe Schoebert & Christian Kirksey
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
BleedTheClock wrote:
Simmy Kantstandyabitz

That name alone is worth the #1 pick in the draft.

Watched the Key and Peele sketch again to make sure it wasn't one of those.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: