Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers Sign Ricky Jean-Francois
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWood21

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
Don't sleep on Trevor Davis though. He came in like 57 pounds and drew the longest pass interference penalty of the season.

Honestly, nothing Trevor Davis did or didn't do last season has given me any sort of belief in him. I view him as an attempt to grab a specific type of receiver, and I'm not sure his game really fits what the Packers want to do offensively.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
squire12

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
HorizontoZenith wrote:
Don't sleep on Trevor Davis though. He came in like 57 pounds and drew the longest pass interference penalty of the season.

Honestly, nothing Trevor Davis did or didn't do last season has given me any sort of belief in him. I view him as an attempt to grab a specific type of receiver, and I'm not sure his game really fits what the Packers want to do offensively.

Agree with CWood on this. Davis did very little in 2016. Geronimo Allison passed him by rather significantly for the #4 WR spot. Davis would need to make a big jump in 2017 to instill much confidence in what he could provide going forward.
Cadmus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Cadmus wrote:
Part of the reason that I think we may not be done with FA yet. He can still sign 2 Qualifying UFAs and receive 4 Compensatory Picks (+McCray that would give us 12 DPs in 2018).

Possibly. But I wouldn't hang my hopes on it. I think you've got to look at the tiers that our future compensatory picks are coming in. Right now, we've got a 3rd for T.J. Lang, a 5th for J.C. Tretter, a 5th/6th for Jared Cook, and a sixth for Eddie Lacy. That means we don't receive a compensatory pick for Datone Jones or Julius Peppers. The problem is I don't think Ted is going to sign a free agent that forces us to cough up a 5th round pick, and if we sign someone under that treshold we're talking about a pick moving back a few slots. That's why I think the treshold where Ted is willing to sign is somewhere around $4M, with a little bit of leeway either way. Probably not willing to go much higher and certainly not close to Jared Cook.

Yeah.

All of the players I am thinking of at this point are well below 4 Million. I'm talking about the Byron Bells and Christine Michaels of FA. Guys that can't command even close to 4 Million.

Byron Bell is actually a perfect example of what I'm talking about. The Packers already brought him to Green Bay. If he were to sign for 1/1.5 that should be enough cancel out one of the potential low end (Julius Peppers in all likelihood) compensatory selections.

I'm not saying they will sign 1-2 more Qualifying UFAs before the draft, but Thompson has significantly more freedom this year than any other because of the 7 Qualifying UFAs we lost. I just feel that Green Bay will bring in significantly more Qualifying UFAs for workouts than they usually would at this point in the off-season because there won't be any "penalty" if we sign 1-2 cheap FAs.

I think the reported presence Byron Bell probably enhances the credibility of that theory. I don't think Green Bay even wastes its time bringing in a player like that during the last few years.
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:

I betcha there will be more people in 2017 saying they always thought Davis was going to have an impact than there will be people saying they thought Davis wasn't going to do anything if you know what I mean.

It always surprises me how people can be so quick to write off a player who didn't do much in their rookie year. The Packers are probably have more players in the past 20 years to come out of nowhere than any other team, and yet people are still quick to write them off.

KGB - 1.5 sacks rookie year.
Kampman - .5 sacks rookie year.
Donald Driver - 3 catches rookie year.
Mike Daniels - 2 sacks, 0 starts.
Tramon Williams didn't even get on the field his rookie year.
Finley had 6 catches.
Lane Taylor.
TJ Lang.

Plus a bunch of other players I'm forgetting. That's not even mentioning the insane second or third or fourth year jumps players have made from Adams
to Nelson and so on. Remember after HaHa's first year how many people said he would never be able to tackle?

It's like people assume if a player doesn't get a lot of playing time as a rookie in Green Bay they'll never amount to anything in spite of the fact that our current and past rosters are riddled with examples of drafted (and signed) rookies frequently look like completely different players than they did their rookie years.

If the Packers only drafted him to be a specific type of receiver, I'm sure they believed then that he can be that specific type of receiver, and that they have plans for that specific type of receiver. Otherwise, why draft him?
CentralFC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
CWood21 wrote:

I betcha there will be more people in 2017 saying they always thought Davis was going to have an impact than there will be people saying they thought Davis wasn't going to do anything if you know what I mean.

It always surprises me how people can be so quick to write off a player who didn't do much in their rookie year. The Packers are probably have more players in the past 20 years to come out of nowhere than any other team, and yet people are still quick to write them off.

Finley had 6 catches.
Lane Taylor.
TJ Lang.

Plus a bunch of other players I'm forgetting. That's not even mentioning the insane second or third or fourth year jumps players have made from Adams
to Nelson and so on. Remember after HaHa's first year how many people said he would never be able to tackle?

It's like people assume if a player doesn't get a lot of playing time as a rookie in Green Bay they'll never amount to anything in spite of the fact that our current and past rosters are riddled with examples of drafted (and signed) rookies frequently look like completely different players than they did their rookie years.

If the Packers only drafted him to be a specific type of receiver, I'm sure they believed then that he can be that specific type of receiver, and that they have plans for that specific type of receiver. Otherwise, why draft him?

Good post, agreed wholeheartedly. Even the "expert" scouts here tend to write off players before giving them a shot.

I think one would need at least three years before they could say the same.

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
Jsitton71#

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great we have another Haitian on the team, last time we had one in Charlie Peprah we won the SB! RJF nice Haitian name like JPP of the Giants.
Jsitton71#

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
CWood21 wrote:

Finley had 6 catches.
Lane Taylor.
TJ Lang.

Think it has to do more with him being passed up by Allison.
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll honestly be surprised if Davis makes the roster this year.

Sure he could blow up, but I think Janis sticks with st value, given we'll have 3 tes on the roster minimum and ty Montgomery in the backfield, wouldn't shock me to only keep 5 wrs, I would predict if there is a 6th spot, GB will go with a rookie over Davis.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
Donzo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jsitton71# wrote:
Think it has to do more with him being passed up by Allison.

Not to sidetrack RJF's thread, but I'm in the camp with the people looking for Davis to breakout in year two. Allison having a better rookie season just means he was more advanced as a rookie, nothing else... Year two will tell us a lot more about both.

Looking at Davis, I was concerned about his weight and production at Cal... He's a boundary guy, so if he gets to 200 lbs, he'll be OK... in 2015, Cal played a bunch of receivers. They'ed go 4-wide a lot and played 8 guys and Goff would spread the ball around. Going by memory, but I think they had 6-guys with 40-50 catches that year and another 5-guys with 10-20 catches- it was a system thing.

For skillset, he's excellent... 6'2, fast, he can jump, has soft hands and made some tough catches at Cal... I remember watching his combine video on youtube, it talked about all this.

Back on RJF, gotta love his attitude. I think Daniels and Clark are gonna get most of the snaps on the DL. RJF will be an excellent fill in.
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him being passed up by Allison... Still means nothing. People act like Allison had 50 catches last year. If it's so possible for Trevor Davis to never do anything, it's just as possible Allison could be the next Boykin as it is Davis could be the next Driver.

Unlikely Davis makes the team next year? Lol. He had a 60 yard punt return and a really difficult TD catch all on the same drive while having the longest pass interference penalty in the past 30 years (literally) called because of him.

People here like to act like they're super duper smart about a player's NFL chances. It's pure delusions of grandeur to think they know more than the Packers scouting staff who do it professionally and are one of the very best at it. Davis has a chance just like any past year 2 jump player we've ever had. Yes, there's absolutely a chance he's our next David Clowney (fifth round receiver we cut in training camp as a rookie). There's also a chance Davis follows in the long line of players Thompson drafted who did nothing their first year, entered their second year as an afterthought only to go onto pro bowls and very effective careers.

I'm gonna stop ranting about this in a Ricky Jean-Francois thread, but it just bothers me so much when people act like they know for a certainty a player has this ceiling or that basement or blah blah blah. You don't know anything about a player's potential until at least their fourth year in Green Bay. Because not a single one of you out there ever in a million years thought Lane Taylor was going to perform as well as he did this year after his first three years.
vegas492

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skibrett15 wrote:
vegas492 wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:
Ricky Jean is not my Tackle
He's just a boy who plays D End vs the Run...

Great. That's stuck in my head now!

And? Good signing. Great depth guy.

But not when they're in the gun,
Plays D End vs the Run, but not when they're in the gun...

gotta tell yah....you are quickly becoming my least favorite poster on here.
(pure sarcasm)
GET OUT OF MY HEAD! Smile
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
Jsitton71#

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last post on Davis. I remember the receivers coach saying after they drafted him that teams will now have to respect the deep threat. When Jordy went down defenses played us different, they didn't respect our deep ball and just sat on routes.

Davis was drafted for his speed and ability to beat you deep and loosen up defenses. He was a draft pick and will be given every opportunity to prove himself like Abby. The only problem there's a log jam at WR and so many balls to go around, he better tear it up in preseason because I don't know how else he gets on the field during the regular season.
gopackgo247

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky Bobby.
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jsitton71# wrote:
Davis was drafted for his speed and ability to beat you deep and loosen up defenses. He was a draft pick and will be given every opportunity to prove himself like Abby. The only problem there's a log jam at WR and so many balls to go around, he better tear it up in preseason because I don't know how else he gets on the field during the regular season.

You're talking about the Packers here. The team that went into last season with Sam Shields, Damarious Randall, Quentin Rollins, Micah Hyde and Demetri Goodson ahead of LaDarius Gunter. Sad

Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Janis, Allison, Davis. The only way Davis doesn't make the team next year is if we draft a receiver in round two or three. And there are a lot of ways Davis could get himself onto the field, especially if he gets another shot at punt returns. Only reason he was taken off punt return duties is the refs that particular day didn't know the effing rules of fair catches.
vegas492

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
HorizontoZenith wrote:
CWood21 wrote:

Finley had 6 catches.
Lane Taylor.
TJ Lang.

Good post, agreed wholeheartedly. Even the "expert" scouts here tend to write off players before giving them a shot.

I think one would need at least three years before they could say the same.

Especially wide receivers. In our system, they seem to take time to develop. If they produce in year one or two, that is more outside of the norm than anything else.

I'm still optimistic about Davis. He has a body type and a skillset that no one else on the club has. And he appears to have a brain. If he gained a little strength this off-season, I'll be real interested to see what we can do with him.
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: