You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers Sign Ricky Jean-Francois
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deltarich87

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid pickup. DL needed some quality depth, even moreso with Guion suspended to start the year.
TransientTexan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gopackgonerd wrote:
So that's what? 4 moves getting people outside of our team in FA? Shocked
I'm loving we're adding people here. This is why I don't get the "draft and develop thing" you can add people to your team from FA AND the draft.

you can't add as many in FA when you draft better than other teams and thus have to pay more to retain your talent. FA & D/D aren't 2 separate avenues. there is only 1 avenue (the salary cap). fan distinctions between signing your own FA's and signing an FA from another team are arbitrary.
packfanfb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good signing. These are the types of small moves I like and wish we made more often. I agree about adding a vet OL. Byron Bell was in town yesterday right?
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:

If we draft anyone it almost has to be on Day 3 at this point.
Moton and Dawkins would both have to fall to the end of the 3rd for Green Bay to draft them

Unless the Packers trade up to grab them. GB has added some depth-type players recently and maybe those additions offer us a hint about the draft plans. If OL Bell signs, that means a late round pick on OL, DL and RB has been handled with a vet instead - freeing up some draft capital.

That's Eliot behind the scenes workin TT... Smile
PackyAttacky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:
HorizontoZenith wrote:
Obviously I wasn't serious about us drafting corner or pass rusher in every round we have a pick. Like, come on. I'm pretty confident we are going to draft at least one OL and at least one RB in this draft.

Of course.

I just think a WR with length/speed that can consistently get behind the defense is also a serious need. Heck, you could consider WR just a general need (regardless of skillset) with Cobb, Nelson, and Adams all entering 2017 at the various stages of their careers.

I think WR next year, but I also think TE with this crazy class even though they just signed Bennett and Kendricks.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this signing. Loved him as a prospect out of LSU and hope he sticks around.
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So decide after 4 games to stick with him or go back to Guion?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
Chili

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are seeing a subtle shift in TT 's FA philosophy over the past few years.

I think he is starting to recognise that it easier to bring in productive FA players who are close to 30 than younger FA and he has been doing more of it lately with Peppers (34), Bennett (30), RJF (30), Kendricks (29), Cooks (28 ).

Younger free agents want to get PAID and they also want to live in prime locations like Florida, California and New York.

We can't compete with that but players at the latter end of their careers we are able to attract because they tend to have young families and don't care so much about the bright lights. Their focus is on football and family, that's something Green Bay can offer in abundance. It also helps we have the best QB in football and being a regular superbowl contender.

Older free agents are cheaper, they add experience and depth, they tend to stay on shorter contracts and gives us the opportunity to potentially collect compensatory picks when they hit FA again. It's an arrangement that benefits all sides.

Despite being so anti-FA in recent years much to the ire of Packers fans everywhere I think TT is learning to compromise and find a new subtle way of improving the team without affecting his draft and develop philosophy too much.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chili wrote:
I think we are seeing a subtle shift in TT 's FA philosophy over the past few years.

I think he is starting to recognise that it easier to bring in productive FA players who are close to 30 than younger FA and he has been doing more of it lately with Peppers (34), Bennett (30), RJF (30), Kendricks (29), Cooks (28 ).

Younger free agents want to get PAID and they also want to live in prime locations like Florida, California and New York.

We can't compete with that but players at the latter end of their careers we are able to attract because they tend to have young families and don't care so much about the bright lights. Their focus is on football and family, that's something Green Bay can offer in abundance. It also helps we have the best QB in football and being a regular superbowl contender.

Older free agents are cheaper, they add experience and depth, they tend to stay on shorter contracts and gives us the opportunity to potentially collect compensatory picks when they hit FA again. It's an arrangement that benefits all sides.

Despite being so anti-FA in recent years much to the ire of Packers fans everywhere I think TT is learning to compromise and find a new subtle way of improving the team without affecting his draft and develop philosophy too much.

All those players other than Bennett were aging players cut, if you don't cost Ted a comp pick, he's going to be interested.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre004 wrote:
So decide after 4 games to stick with him or go back to Guion?

Depends on how he plays I am sure, dominate the run and I am sure he will play out his contract on this team, its not like we need the 3 mil this year.
Cadmus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:

All those players other than Bennett were aging players cut, if you don't cost Ted a comp pick, he's going to be interested.

Part of the reason that I think we may not be done with FA yet. He can still sign 2 Qualifying UFAs and receive 4 Compensatory Picks (+McCray that would give us 12 DPs in 2018).

Last edited by Cadmus on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:
HorizontoZenith wrote:
Obviously I wasn't serious about us drafting corner or pass rusher in every round we have a pick. Like, come on. I'm pretty confident we are going to draft at least one OL and at least one RB in this draft.

I just think a WR with length/speed that can consistently get behind the defense is also a serious need. Heck, you could consider WR just a general need (regardless of skillset) with Cobb, Nelson, and Adams all entering 2017 at the various stages of their careers.

Don't sleep on Trevor Davis though. He came in like 57 pounds and drew the longest pass interference penalty of the season.
Cadmus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
Cadmus wrote:
HorizontoZenith wrote:

Don't sleep on Trevor Davis though. He came in like 57 pounds and drew the longest pass interference penalty of the season.

I like Davis a lot. I just think Green Bay will want another WR that has a build akin to Janis/Nelson.

This seems like a good class to take a shot on a Day 3 WR that could develop into a potential starter with some polish.
CWood21

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:
Part of the reason that I think we may not be done with FA yet. He can still sign 2 Qualifying UFAs and receive 4 Compensatory Picks (+McCray that would give us 12 DPs in 2018).

Possibly. But I wouldn't hang my hopes on it. I think you've got to look at the tiers that our future compensatory picks are coming in. Right now, we've got a 3rd for T.J. Lang, a 5th for J.C. Tretter, a 5th/6th for Jared Cook, and a sixth for Eddie Lacy. That means we don't receive a compensatory pick for Datone Jones or Julius Peppers. The problem is I don't think Ted is going to sign a free agent that forces us to cough up a 5th round pick, and if we sign someone under that treshold we're talking about a pick moving back a few slots. That's why I think the treshold where Ted is willing to sign is somewhere around $4M, with a little bit of leeway either way. Probably not willing to go much higher and certainly not close to Jared Cook.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
skibrett15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegas492 wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:
Ricky Jean is not my Tackle
He's just a boy who plays D End vs the Run...

Great. That's stuck in my head now!

And? Good signing. Great depth guy.

But not when they're in the gun,
Plays D End vs the Run, but not when they're in the gun...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: