Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets Mock Draft - 1st Attempt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDotNova

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Jets Mock Draft - 1st Attempt Reply with quote

Long time reader, infrequent poster. I normally get inspired to post come mock draft season.

So, low and behold, here is my first mock draft of the season.

Top 6 on my big board slightly tailored to the Jets:
1. Myles Garrett OLB
2. Jamal Adams S
3. Malik Hooker S
4. Leonard Fournette RB
5. Reuben Foster ILB
6. Trade Down...otherwise OJ Howard TE

I think Garrett, Adams and Fournette will be off the board by the time the Jets pick. So, I think it'll be between Foster, Hooker, and Howard. I think Foster is definitely an option especially if we don't sign an ILB in FA, but I am going to go with Hooker in this scenario.

1st Round, 6th Pick: Malik Hooker S The Ohio State
2nd Round, 7th Pick: Evan Engram TE Ole Miss

Jets trade Richardson DT to the Dallas Cowboys for their 2nd Round Pick.

2nd Round, Dallas: Joe Mixon RB Oklahoma
3rd Round, 5th Pick: Cooper Kupp WR Eastern Washington
3rd Round, Comp Pick: Tyler Orlosky C West Virginia
5th Round, 6th Pick: Ezra Robinson CB Tennessee State
6th Round, 7th Pick: Nate Peterman QB Pittsburgh
7th Round, 6th Pick: Dare Ogunbowale RB Wisconsin

After the draft, the Jets cut Forte RB.

I think this draft adds a lot of weapons on the offense side which will help our young QBs or set the stage for selecting a QB high in 2018. I also grabbed a couple players to help out the secondary. Suffice to say, the defense will need more work in future drafts/FA.

Let me know what y'all think as long as it's positive. Laughing
Mr.O

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a big Kupp fan but wouldn't mind going WR, like it a lot although I'm not sure we could get a 2nd for Sheldon at the moment

Props to CL on the

Carson Wentz/Noah Spence Bandwagon
Sapo28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.O wrote:
Not a big Kupp fan but wouldn't mind going WR, like it a lot although I'm not sure we could get a 2nd for Sheldon at the moment

I think we have bigger holes to fill besides WR but if we go receiver in the mid rounds a guy like Chris Godwin would be a great fit.

He's got all the measurables, played with Hack, and could be a nice developmental guy with crazy upside.
Jag68Sid87

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Godwin is the guy with the crazy-glue hands, right? The dude who was catching everything in sight at the combine?

I seem to remember one guy sticking out in that area that day and I think it was him.

Other than Ross, he would be the WR I'd want from the draft.

Still not sure we need to draft a WR this year. I think we can find a veteran free agent who might help us replace Marshall, and maybe two if we also cut Decker.
Kyu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just not a fan of taking a TE high. Who was the last TE taken that high to actually be worth it? Gronk?
Bobby816

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of Engram. Tell me what he does that Enunwa doesn't already do for us? If we want a TE get an actual TE not a WR/TE. Get a guy that can block as well.
ISurvivedKotite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Mixon is a really good prospect and would be a 1st rounder without the off the field stuff, but the Jets dont seem like a franchise that would take a risk on him.
Mr.O

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISurvivedKotite wrote:
I agree that Mixon is a really good prospect and would be a 1st rounder without the off the field stuff, but the Jets dont seem like a franchise that would take a risk on him.
It all depends on how he interviews tbh. I didn't think we would be the type of team to take a chance on a guy with DUI problems and we went and picked up ASJ.

Props to CL on the

Carson Wentz/Noah Spence Bandwagon
SDotNova

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.O wrote:

Kupp has grown on me. I think he will be good in all through receiving roles especially in the slot.
SDotNova

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
Not a fan of Engram. Tell me what he does that Enunwa doesn't already do for us? If we want a TE get an actual TE not a WR/TE. Get a guy that can block as well.

Engram is a pretty decent blocker on the move (doesn't have the bulk to be good in-line though), but I see your point on the similarities between Engram and Enunwa.
SDotNova

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen TE question asked a few times on this board. So, I figured I would look it up. I dug up TEs drafted in the first 3 rounds to see how valuable it is to draft a TE high. I went back to 2002 since that is when it seems like the pass catching TE started to become popular. Here's the list:

Year Round Pick
Jeremy Shockey 2002 1,14
Dan Graham 2002 1,21
Jerramy Stevens 2002 1,28
Doug Jolley 2002 2,55
Matt Schobel 2002 3,67
Chris Baker 2002 3,88
Dallas Clark 2003 1,24
Ben Joppru 2003 2,41
LJ Smith 2003 2,61
Jason Witten 2003 3,69
Mike Seidman 2003 3,76
Visanthe Shiancoe2003 3,91
Kellen Winslow Jr2004 1,6
Ben Watson 2004 1,32
Ben Troupe 2004 2,40
Kris Wilson 2004 2,61
Ben Hartsock 2004 3,68
Chris Cooley 2004 3,81
Heath Miller 2005 1,30
Alex Smith 2005 3,71
Kevin Everett 2005 3,86
Vernon Davis 2006 1,6
Marcedes Lewis 2006 1,28
Joe Klopfenstein 2006 2,46
Anthony Fasano 2006 2,53
Tony Scheffler 2006 2,61
Leonard Pope 2006 3,72
Dave Thomas 2006 3,86
Dominique Byrd 2006 3,93
Greg Olsen 2007 1,31
Zach Miller 2007 2,38
Matt Spaeth 2007 3,77
Dustin Keller 2008 1,30
John Carlson 2008 2,38
Fred Davis 2008 2,48
Martellus Bennett2008 2,61
Brad Cottam 2008 3,76
Craig Stevens 2008 3,85
Jermichael Finley2008 3,91
Brandon Pettigrew2009 1,20
Richard Quinn 2009 2,64
Jared Cook 2009 3,89
Chase Coffman 2009 3,98
Travis Beckum 2009 3,100
Jermaine Gresham2010 1,21
Rob Gronkowski 2010 2,42
Ed Dickson 2010 3,70
Tony Moeaki 2010 3,93
Jimmy Graham 2010 3,95

2002: All TE underperformed. Shockey had potential but never lived up the hype.

2003: Dallas Clark and Jason Witten were difference makers. The rest were bust. Shiancoe had some productive years.

2004: Winslow was a difference maker but may not have justified Pick 6. Chris Cooley was a difference maker.

2005: I think Heath Miller was a pretty solid all around TE.

2006: Vernon Davis was a difference maker but probably didnt live up to Pick 6. There were a few product TEs drafted high this year, but again didnt produce to the value of their pick.

2007: Greg Olsen is producing like a late first round pick.

2008: Skip

2009: Not much here. Couple of productive players.

2010: This was a serious draft for TE. Gronk and Graham are legit. Hernandez was also picked in the 4th RD this year.

I think looking at this list, the bust rate for TE seems high. There are some that do live up to the hype but a lot miss the mark.

My bad with the formatting. Not really sure how to post data into separate columns.
SDotNova

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyu wrote:
I'm just not a fan of taking a TE high. Who was the last TE taken that high to actually be worth it? Gronk?

Looking at the list from my previous post, TEs tend to bust at a high rate but there are some that have lived up to their draft slot: Dallas Clark, Jason Witten, Heath Miller, Greg Olsen, Gronk, and Jimmy Graham. But that is only 6 out of 49 over a 9 year period.
NJerseypaint

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDotNova wrote:
Kyu wrote:

Looking at the list from my previous post, TEs tend to bust at a high rate but there are some that have lived up to their draft slot: Dallas Clark, Jason Witten, Heath Miller, Greg Olsen, Gronk, and Jimmy Graham. But that is only 6 out of 49 over a 9 year period.

6 in which most were drafted in the first, but OT's has crazy measurables. It's a shame he doesn't have much on his college resume to look at aside from 1 very important game.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDotNova wrote:
Kyu wrote:

I think there is an argument to be made for TEs since Gronk came out. Before the Patriots really made the TE position valuable there wasn't really a good standard. We had Gonzalez and Gates as the 2 TEs that were more pass catchers. Now I think we can look at Olsen, Gronk, Graham, Bennet, Clay, Walker, Thomas and Ebron as TEs that can be more of a strength in the passing game. I think this took a little bit of time to happen because players and teams were adjusting to the rule changes that happened in the mid 2000s. May not justify picking one at 6 but I think having an OC that was able to use Davis and Graham recently is more than enough reason for me to feel comfortable with the decision.
Sapo28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
SDotNova wrote:
Kyu wrote:

I think there is an argument to be made for TEs since Gronk came out. Before the Patriots really made the TE position valuable there wasn't really a good standard. We had Gonzalez and Gates as the 2 TEs that were more pass catchers. Now I think we can look at Olsen, Gronk, Graham, Bennet, Clay, Walker, Thomas and Ebron as TEs that can be more of a strength in the passing game. I think this took a little bit of time to happen because players and teams were adjusting to the rule changes that happened in the mid 2000s. May not justify picking one at 6 but I think having an OC that was able to use Davis and Graham recently is more than enough reason for me to feel comfortable with the decision.

While its quite the list that Sdot came up with its very selective when its come to the current game, the game has evolved. There is some selective exclusion of guys from the list like Jordan Reed, Travis Kelce, Eifert, Ertz, Allen, Hooper, and Fleener are all difference makers on offense in some way often times its the score board other times its the threat of a bigger body that changes a teams coverage or blitz package which helps the rest of the offense. You could argue that Kelce became the focal point of the KC offense once Jamal Charles went down. He's on the field for all downs and can help run the ball for whomever is in the back field.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: