You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Darius Latham or Jihard Ward
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DC4_Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Darius Latham or Jihard Ward Reply with quote

Do you guys think they can man up and hold down the DT/UT spot? I like Latham more based on 2016.. he is the athlete, size, played all 16 at the age of 21, flashed potential. Ward was drafted high and didn't do much. However, he did play out of position filling in for Edwards at base. I'm not willing to write the young man off, but playing him at his natural position would help him. What are your thoughts on these two? Should we draft another DT high?? I'm a big fan of Latham, and think he can be a better version of Tommy Kelly. [/i]
Bone_Collector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latham is more of a run stuffer. Tommy Kelly made an impact as a rusher early on with 4 sacks and even more pressures/hurries/etc his rookie year. I have high hopes for Ward and I think he shows big improvement this year. I know he had some bad games but the JAX game he flashed some good ability.

Props to cdUbs14 for the sig!
drfrey13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of our DT/UT have talent but all have ?'s. As far as drafting a player in the early rounds, for me it would depend on who is available. We definitely have greater needs in other places but if the right player falls to us I think RM should pull the trigger no matter what round. I will not be angry or excited to start the year with a rotation of MEJ, Latham, Autry, and Ward. All 4 are young players and all could develop into good players. Especially Latham and Ward who need coaching to improve. Being from Bloomington IN I am pulling for Latham.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell one was better than the other last year. The difference was the expectations.
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

were it not for draft position i cant think of any reason why people would think ward showed more
NickButera

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to give Ward this year to really show what he's going to be. But this year should be his year, I wouldn't expect much out of him last year.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Big Rob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our young dudes Lathum, Ward, Edwards have the potential to be the guys inside. I just always like to a vet in the rotation, because you never know what youre going to get in year 1 and year 2, injuries, down years, up years, you just never know. They all have the tools, and have what it takes, but will it come to fruition? Or will these guy never live up to their potential.

All in all, I like having each on the roster, but would still want to add a vet, for insurance.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all want instant gratification with draft picks. The Dline rotation is solid with room to grown.

I like Ward, Latham, MEJr, Dan and Jelly as a group. They will develop.

Fans are too hard on Ward. He has all the ability in the world, just has to put it together. Dline takes time and he was thrust into the lineup earlier than they'd liked.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think ward was over drafted sure he's got impressive size but i don't see 2nd round material in him he'll be a rotational type player. he's not an effective 43 ut plays too high and does not have the twitch or bend to be a starting end. he's a better 5tech imo

that's not being 'too hard' on the guy it's me calling it as is. there is still time but we'll see
SBXISBXVSBXVIII

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synyster wrote:
i think ward was over drafted sure he's got impressive size but i don't see 2nd round material in him he'll be a rotational type player. he's not an effective 43 ut plays too high and does not have the twitch or bend to be a starting end. he's a better 5tech imo

that's not being 'too hard' on the guy it's me calling it as is. there is still time but we'll see

That's not being hard on the guy at all. The ones that are being hard on him have already considered him a bust. Which is ridiculous after a rookie season.
Synyster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBXISBXVSBXVIII wrote:
Synyster wrote:

That's not being hard on the guy at all. The ones that are being hard on him have already considered him a bust. Which is ridiculous after a rookie season.

do you think ward was a good pick?
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synyster wrote:
SBXISBXVSBXVIII wrote:
Synyster wrote:

Not a great pick but not a bad pick. He was a projected 2nd-3rd round pick who was very raw. Reggie New he was going to take time to develop but was thrown to the wolves once Mario went down. Time will tell if he was a good pick or not. Patience and development were two key words when it came to Ward.
RaiderX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward was a reach and left nothing to justify it with his play last season. Time will tell if he can develop into a football player.

Latham and McGee were the better of the DTs over Ellis and Williams. McGee got scooped up right away so Latham should get significant time now.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synyster wrote:
SBXISBXVSBXVIII wrote:
Synyster wrote:

I think he will prove to be a good pick, I expect him and Calhoun to take a leap this year.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderX wrote:
Ward was a reach and left nothing to justify it with his play last season. Time will tell if he can develop into a football player.

Latham and McGee were the better of the DTs over Ellis and Williams. McGee got scooped up right away so Latham should get significant time now.

But most scouts expected both to happen, for him to get drafted aroUnd the second round based off of potential, and for them to be willing to be patient and not expect much his rookie year. So with that in mind, he was exactly as advertised and probably what reggie expected.

This year and next will define the pick a little more

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: