You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets Sign Josh McCown
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJerseypaint

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockice_8 wrote:
NJerseypaint wrote:
Rockice_8 wrote:
Sure we'd lose a 2016 2nd and two first rounders but as a team so desperate for a good QB if one pans out as a top 10 QB for the next decade I think we'd all be ok with that.

That's pretty much the going rate for a franchise QB anyway if you aren't picking #1 overall.

Only thing is even with all three you aren't guaranteed a 10-year starter. If all 3 bust we are screwed for the foreseeable future.

Which happens all the time with these top prospects. RG3 and Goff are perfect examples of the cost of a franchise QB search - meanwhile Pats got Brady in the 6th, Dallas with Dax in the 4th, Raider with Carr in the 2nd, and Skins scooped Cousins in the 2nd.

It just boils down to the fact that QB is the most difficult transition in the NFL, and its impossible to tell who will be a star or not - so you just have to keep digging until you find gold.

I don't think we'll be screwed. We'll still have those upcoming drafts, and it's unlikely we don't find quality talent in other positions rounds 2-7 if we keep going QB 1st.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJerseypaint wrote:
Rockice_8 wrote:
NJerseypaint wrote:
Rockice_8 wrote:
Sure we'd lose a 2016 2nd and two first rounders but as a team so desperate for a good QB if one pans out as a top 10 QB for the next decade I think we'd all be ok with that.

That's pretty much the going rate for a franchise QB anyway if you aren't picking #1 overall.

Only thing is even with all three you aren't guaranteed a 10-year starter. If all 3 bust we are screwed for the foreseeable future.

Which happens all the time with these top prospects. RG3 and Goff are perfect examples of the cost of a franchise QB search - meanwhile Pats got Brady in the 6th, Dallas with Dax in the 4th, Raider with Carr in the 2nd, and Skins scooped Cousins in the 2nd.

It just boils down to the fact that QB is the most difficult transition in the NFL, and its impossible to tell who will be a star or not - so you just have to keep digging until you find gold.

I don't think we'll be screwed. We'll still have those upcoming drafts, and it's unlikely we don't find quality talent in other positions rounds 2-7 if we keep going QB 1st.

I laugh that people have already given up on Goff. It's the same people that have already written off Hack when he still hasn't even started a game. News flash... not everyone is Andrew Luck and can go to the playoffs and play at a high level right away. Rookie bumps and bruises are part of the learning process. I use Wentz as an example all the time as a QB from last year bc he looked very good to start the year but then looked pretty bad in the heart of the season for a longer stretch than he looked good. I don't think anyone has given up on him, if they have they're not an educated football fan. I think the smart thing to do is get a QB each year until you find your guy. That doesn't mean use 1st and 2nd Rounders each year. That can mean gran a QB in Rounds 5-7. I don't want us to draft a QB this draft but I wouldn't be upset if we chose one late in the draft, really to compete with Petty for a roster spot and perhaps could have more upside. I do think it's pointless to waste valuable picks at either 6 or 39 when you could possibly have the answer already on the roster. If we only had a hole at QB I'd say draft one there but we have holes at almost every position on the roster, so I'd address them with valuable picks. We have several positions with no one that good or older guys at. At least at QB we have a talented 22yr old that deserves a shot to show what he's got.
NJerseypaint

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:

I laugh that people have already given up on Goff. It's the same people that have already written off Hack when he still hasn't even started a game. News flash... not everyone is Andrew Luck and can go to the playoffs and play at a high level right away. Rookie bumps and bruises are part of the learning process. I use Wentz as an example all the time as a QB from last year bc he looked very good to start the year but then looked pretty bad in the heart of the season for a longer stretch than he looked good. I don't think anyone has given up on him, if they have they're not an educated football fan. I think the smart thing to do is get a QB each year until you find your guy. That doesn't mean use 1st and 2nd Rounders each year. That can mean gran a QB in Rounds 5-7. I don't want us to draft a QB this draft but I wouldn't be upset if we chose one late in the draft, really to compete with Petty for a roster spot and perhaps could have more upside. I do think it's pointless to waste valuable picks at either 6 or 39 when you could possibly have the answer already on the roster. If we only had a hole at QB I'd say draft one there but we have holes at almost every position on the roster, so I'd address them with valuable picks. We have several positions with no one that good or older guys at. At least at QB we have a talented 22yr old that deserves a shot to show what he's got.

When did I write off Goff? I used him as an example of a team selling multiple firsts and more to get a franchise QB. Spending our 1st this year and next would be an equal cost in my mind carrying similar risk.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJerseypaint wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:

When did I write off Goff? I used him as an example of a team selling multiple firsts and more to get a franchise QB. Spending our 1st this year and next would be an equal cost in my mind carrying similar risk.

Actually better since you have 2 shots at it instead of 1.

Props to Mack on the sig
Bobby816

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJerseypaint wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:

Sorry I misread what you wrote my bad.
I see what you're saying, but I don't see any good qbs this draft so I wouldn't just waste the pick on one. You only trade up or draft a qb if you see a franchise QB in that guy. You can't tell me this franchise wouldn't be better off with a Jamal Adams, OJ Howard, Malik Hooker, Leonard Fournette and then a trade up for Darnold or Rosen next year, then a Trubisky this draft and then again a Mason Rudolph in the following draft. Can't keep spending top 10picks on ok qbs. I'd rather see us sell the farm for a sure thing i.e. Luck, Winston type guys.
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
NJerseypaint wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:

I see what you're saying, but I don't see any good qbs this draft so I wouldn't just waste the pick on one. You only trade up or draft a qb if you see a franchise QB in that guy. You can't tell me this franchise wouldn't be better off with a Jamal Adams, OJ Howard, Malik Hooker, Leonard Fournette and then a trade up for Darnold or Rosen next year, then a Trubisky this draft and then again a Mason Rudolph in the following draft. Can't keep spending top 10picks on ok qbs. I'd rather see us sell the farm for a sure thing i.e. Luck, Winston type guys.

Teams also don't trade picks away when they have a "sure thing" QB in their lap though. They draft the QB. Indy and Tampa were not trading those picks regardless of what was offered. Cleveland, SF, Jax, whomever is in front of us with that pick is just going to take him.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GangGreen420 wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:
NJerseypaint wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:

Teams also don't trade picks away when they have a "sure thing" QB in their lap though. They draft the QB. Indy and Tampa were not trading those picks regardless of what was offered. Cleveland, SF, Jax, whomever is in front of us with that pick is just going to take him.

Yea I'm all for trading a lot to move up but you are right. If a sure thing is sitting at the first pick the chances of that team already having a legit #1 QB is slim to none. If they feel 100% that one of these QBs are special then I'm okay with the move to take one at 6. For our sake I hope we are legitimately confident in Hack so we can start building around him. Or even if it's enough to feel comfortable passing on a QB at 6 that at least gives us hope he can become our guy. Right now the best we can say is he has all the tools, if we want to believe anything Marshall said before he left then that would be the only semi concrete backing we've seen given to Hack.
doumeyer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Jets Sign Josh McCown Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
Really the perfect qb for what I want for us at QB this year.

We are looking in the wrong place for a QB, I was at the Mets practice down in Port St Lucie this week and watch the Mets play touch football. Two pitchers on the Mets can throw a perfect spiral pass 60 yards, Addison Reed & Jacob de Grom. It was the last day of spring training so they just let the players have a little fun. It was a fun day.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: