Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 3rd pick in the NFL Draft...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

The Chicago Bears Select?
Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Mitchell Trubiskey, QB, North Carolina
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jamal Adams, S, LSU
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

Author Message
mike23md


Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 9963
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: With the 3rd pick in the NFL Draft... Reply with quote

1. Cleveland Browns - Myles Garrett, EDGE, Texas A&M
2. San Francisco 49ers - Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MKnight82


Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 18978
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see them going Allen or Fournette. I voted Allen.
_________________


Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 80700
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote Fournette. They need a good running game to take some pressure off of Blake Bortles.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mike23md


Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 9963
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I vote Fournette. They need a good running game to take some pressure off of Blake Bortles.


We are talking the Bears
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jeezy Fanatic


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 26047
Location: Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Njoku is a good fit here.
_________________


Sig by Mike23md

"Don't need the accolades, just need the acknowledgement"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mike23md


Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 9963
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
I could see them going Allen or Fournette. I voted Allen.


They already have Jordan Howard, Jeremy Langford and Ka'Deem Carey.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mike23md


Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 9963
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
David Njoku is a good fit here.


O.J Howard is better valued and doesn't go above 5. Njoku is a late first.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doc Draper


Joined: 18 Dec 2012
Posts: 5082
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost a big WR and replace him with AJ Green 2.0 mike Williams
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 26894
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mike23md said, they've got decent talent at the running back position with Howard, Langford and Carey (and David Cobb). They've got other needs so I think they pass on Fournette.

They just signed Mike Glennon to mid-level deal, so unless they think Trubisky is the greatest thing since sliced bread (and that would be a huge leap to gamble on a one year starter with only 572 career attempts in college), I think they pass.

They signed Danny Trevathan last season, so I don't see them going Reuben Foster right now.

Adams and Hooker are options, as is Allen. However, I'm going to discount those three because of the lower value for a safety and Allen's shoulder injury concerns.

Which brings us to our final two: Mike Williams or Marshon Lattimore?

Let me present to you the Bears WRs currently on roster:
- Bralon Addison: 1 season, 2 GP, 0 GS, 1 REC, 11 YDS (11.0 YPR)
- Dres Anderson: no stats
- Josh Bellamy: 5 seasons, 44 GP, 6 GS, 38 REC, 506 YDS (13.3 YPR), 3 TD
- Daniel Braverman: 1 season, 3 GP, 0 REC
- Cameron Meredith: 2 seasons, 2 GP, 10 GS, 77 REC, 1008 YDS (13.1 YPR), 4 TD
- Reuben Randle: 5 seasons, 64 GP, 33 GS, 188 REC, 2644 YDS (14.1 YPR), 20 TD
- Eddie Royal: 9 seasons, 116 GP, 71 GS, 408 REC, 4357 YDS (10.7 YPR), 28 TD
- Markus Wheaton: 4 seasons, 47 GP, 22 GS, 107 REC, 1508 YDS (14.1 YPR), 8 TD
- Kevin White: 2 seasons, 4 GP, 4 GS, 19 REC, 187 YDS (9.8 YPR)
- Kendall Wright: 5 seasons, 66 GP, 41 GS, 280 REC, 3244 YDS (11.6 YPR), 18 TD

They have a bunch of head cases, injury prone wrecks, and no-names ... along with Eddie Royal (a solid slot WR). Maybe Meredith recreates his growth from last year, but given that the Bears signed both Wheaton and Wright in free agency this year, I don't think they're counting on it. FWIW, Randle is on a future's contract ... woah.

On the CB side of the fence, they have guys like Jonathan Banks, Kyle Fuller and Prince Amukamara (and Tracy Porter Laughing). Not the best corps out there, but it's serviceable.

I vote Williams.

EDIT: I see where the voting is going. That may be their final choice, but I suspect the Chicago front office is a lot more hesitant than they might have been a month ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mike23md


Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 9963
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
As mike23md said, they've got decent talent at the running back position with Howard, Langford and Carey (and David Cobb). They've got other needs so I think they pass on Fournette.

They just signed Mike Glennon to mid-level deal, so unless they think Trubisky is the greatest thing since sliced bread (and that would be a huge leap to gamble on a one year starter with only 572 career attempts in college), I think they pass.

They signed Danny Trevathan last season, so I don't see them going Reuben Foster right now.

Adams and Hooker are options, as is Allen. However, I'm going to discount those three because of the lower value for a safety and Allen's shoulder injury concerns.

Which brings us to our final two: Mike Williams or Marshon Lattimore?

Let me present to you the Bears WRs currently on roster:
- Bralon Addison: 1 season, 2 GP, 0 GS, 1 REC, 11 YDS (11.0 YPR)
- Dres Anderson: no stats
- Josh Bellamy: 5 seasons, 44 GP, 6 GS, 38 REC, 506 YDS (13.3 YPR), 3 TD
- Daniel Braverman: 1 season, 3 GP, 0 REC
- Cameron Meredith: 2 seasons, 2 GP, 10 GS, 77 REC, 1008 YDS (13.1 YPR), 4 TD
- Reuben Randle: 5 seasons, 64 GP, 33 GS, 188 REC, 2644 YDS (14.1 YPR), 20 TD
- Eddie Royal: 9 seasons, 116 GP, 71 GS, 408 REC, 4357 YDS (10.7 YPR), 28 TD
- Markus Wheaton: 4 seasons, 47 GP, 22 GS, 107 REC, 1508 YDS (14.1 YPR), 8 TD
- Kevin White: 2 seasons, 4 GP, 4 GS, 19 REC, 187 YDS (9.8 YPR)
- Kendall Wright: 5 seasons, 66 GP, 41 GS, 280 REC, 3244 YDS (11.6 YPR), 18 TD

They have a bunch of head cases, injury prone wrecks, and no-names ... along with Eddie Royal (a solid slot WR). Maybe Meredith recreates his growth from last year, but given that the Bears signed both Wheaton and Wright in free agency this year, I don't think they're counting on it. FWIW, Randle is on a future's contract ... woah.

On the CB side of the fence, they have guys like Jonathan Banks, Kyle Fuller and Prince Amukamara (and Tracy Porter Laughing). Not the best corps out there, but it's serviceable.

I vote Williams.

EDIT: I see where the voting is going. That may be their final choice, but I suspect the Chicago front office is a lot more hesitant than they might have been a month ago.


The Bears have been converting to a 3-4 under Vic Fangio so they could use another ILB along with Trevathan, but I don't see Reuben Foster being valued any higher than 9 at this point.

Mike Williams does not also go higher than 5 at this point either. Even with his updated 40 time. I think that just solidifies his status as better than Corey Davis. But I am not sure the Bears are wanting to oust Kevin White this early without him really getting into the offense yet. Meredith is also a cheaper #2 instead of drafting another WR in the first.

TE is a huge need, but does O.J. Howard go as high as 3?

Adams and Hooker could go this high and while Amos has a solid season in 2016, Adams make a lot of sense and is a big upgrade at that position.

I personally think that Williams is a huge reach at this point considering they are stacked to an extent at WR and need to see what they have before they throw it all away on Mike Williams as the answer.

Jonathan Allen at this point may even be a reach.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 26894
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Woz wrote:
As mike23md said, they've got decent talent at the running back position with Howard, Langford and Carey (and David Cobb). They've got other needs so I think they pass on Fournette.

They just signed Mike Glennon to mid-level deal, so unless they think Trubisky is the greatest thing since sliced bread (and that would be a huge leap to gamble on a one year starter with only 572 career attempts in college), I think they pass.

They signed Danny Trevathan last season, so I don't see them going Reuben Foster right now.

Adams and Hooker are options, as is Allen. However, I'm going to discount those three because of the lower value for a safety and Allen's shoulder injury concerns.

Which brings us to our final two: Mike Williams or Marshon Lattimore?

Let me present to you the Bears WRs currently on roster:
- Bralon Addison: 1 season, 2 GP, 0 GS, 1 REC, 11 YDS (11.0 YPR)
- Dres Anderson: no stats
- Josh Bellamy: 5 seasons, 44 GP, 6 GS, 38 REC, 506 YDS (13.3 YPR), 3 TD
- Daniel Braverman: 1 season, 3 GP, 0 REC
- Cameron Meredith: 2 seasons, 2 GP, 10 GS, 77 REC, 1008 YDS (13.1 YPR), 4 TD
- Reuben Randle: 5 seasons, 64 GP, 33 GS, 188 REC, 2644 YDS (14.1 YPR), 20 TD
- Eddie Royal: 9 seasons, 116 GP, 71 GS, 408 REC, 4357 YDS (10.7 YPR), 28 TD
- Markus Wheaton: 4 seasons, 47 GP, 22 GS, 107 REC, 1508 YDS (14.1 YPR), 8 TD
- Kevin White: 2 seasons, 4 GP, 4 GS, 19 REC, 187 YDS (9.8 YPR)
- Kendall Wright: 5 seasons, 66 GP, 41 GS, 280 REC, 3244 YDS (11.6 YPR), 18 TD

They have a bunch of head cases, injury prone wrecks, and no-names ... along with Eddie Royal (a solid slot WR). Maybe Meredith recreates his growth from last year, but given that the Bears signed both Wheaton and Wright in free agency this year, I don't think they're counting on it. FWIW, Randle is on a future's contract ... woah.

On the CB side of the fence, they have guys like Jonathan Banks, Kyle Fuller and Prince Amukamara (and Tracy Porter Laughing). Not the best corps out there, but it's serviceable.

I vote Williams.

EDIT: I see where the voting is going. That may be their final choice, but I suspect the Chicago front office is a lot more hesitant than they might have been a month ago.


The Bears have been converting to a 3-4 under Vic Fangio so they could use another ILB along with Trevathan, but I don't see Reuben Foster being valued any higher than 9 at this point.


I can agree with you there. Forgot they were converting to a 3-4, which might mean gambling on Allen is more likely.

Quote:
Mike Williams does not also go higher than 5 at this point either. Even with his updated 40 time. I think that just solidifies his status as better than Corey Davis. But I am not sure the Bears are wanting to oust Kevin White this early without him really getting into the offense yet. Meredith is also a cheaper #2 instead of drafting another WR in the first.


Here's where I disagree. Kevin White has given them next to nothing in his two years there (just four games). As you say, Meredith is probably a good #2 (and Royal a slot), but the rest of the guys they have are unreliable as receivers. None of them are realistically a #1.

Quote:
TE is a huge need, but does O.J. Howard go as high as 3?


Per DraftHistory.com, #3 overall would be the highest draft position for a TE (going back to 1960). It would be only the 5th TE taken in the top ten in the free agency era (1994-current). So, no, he does not or at least should not.

Quote:
Adams and Hooker could go this high and while Amos has a solid season in 2016, Adams make a lot of sense and is a big upgrade at that position.


I debated one of those two, and I could see the Bears making a play there if they are unsure of Allen's shoulder and feel their corners are okay. That said, I think they'd go for Lattimore over one of the other two if it came down to it, simply because of positional value.

Top ten safeties (drafted as safeties, not as corners who moved) since 1994:
2002 - Roy Williams (8th)
2004 - Sean Taylor (5th, RIP)
2006 - Michael Huff (7th)
2006 - Donte Whitner (8th)
2007 - LaRon Landry (6th)
2010 - Eric Berry (5th)
2012 - Mark Barron (7th)

Outside of ST and Berry (and maybe Roy Williams), that's not a good list of players. I'm not sure I would want to be spending my 3rd overall draft pick on a safety unless I am absolutely sure they are the next ST or Berry or I have an absolute dire need for a safety (see the Chargers when we get to them).

Quote:
I personally think that Williams is a huge reach at this point considering they are stacked to an extent at WR and need to see what they have before they throw it all away on Mike Williams as the answer.

Jonathan Allen at this point may even be a reach.


Agree to disagree on the bolded part.

I will admit I'm a tad surprised there are no votes for Lattimore. If you don't think any of the offensive talent is worth it, that Foster would be too high at #3, and that Allen may be too big of a risk due to his shoulder, why wouldn't you consider the #1 CB?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MKnight82


Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 18978
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
mike23md wrote:
Woz wrote:
As mike23md said, they've got decent talent at the running back position with Howard, Langford and Carey (and David Cobb). They've got other needs so I think they pass on Fournette.

They just signed Mike Glennon to mid-level deal, so unless they think Trubisky is the greatest thing since sliced bread (and that would be a huge leap to gamble on a one year starter with only 572 career attempts in college), I think they pass.

They signed Danny Trevathan last season, so I don't see them going Reuben Foster right now.

Adams and Hooker are options, as is Allen. However, I'm going to discount those three because of the lower value for a safety and Allen's shoulder injury concerns.

Which brings us to our final two: Mike Williams or Marshon Lattimore?

Let me present to you the Bears WRs currently on roster:
- Bralon Addison: 1 season, 2 GP, 0 GS, 1 REC, 11 YDS (11.0 YPR)
- Dres Anderson: no stats
- Josh Bellamy: 5 seasons, 44 GP, 6 GS, 38 REC, 506 YDS (13.3 YPR), 3 TD
- Daniel Braverman: 1 season, 3 GP, 0 REC
- Cameron Meredith: 2 seasons, 2 GP, 10 GS, 77 REC, 1008 YDS (13.1 YPR), 4 TD
- Reuben Randle: 5 seasons, 64 GP, 33 GS, 188 REC, 2644 YDS (14.1 YPR), 20 TD
- Eddie Royal: 9 seasons, 116 GP, 71 GS, 408 REC, 4357 YDS (10.7 YPR), 28 TD
- Markus Wheaton: 4 seasons, 47 GP, 22 GS, 107 REC, 1508 YDS (14.1 YPR), 8 TD
- Kevin White: 2 seasons, 4 GP, 4 GS, 19 REC, 187 YDS (9.8 YPR)
- Kendall Wright: 5 seasons, 66 GP, 41 GS, 280 REC, 3244 YDS (11.6 YPR), 18 TD

They have a bunch of head cases, injury prone wrecks, and no-names ... along with Eddie Royal (a solid slot WR). Maybe Meredith recreates his growth from last year, but given that the Bears signed both Wheaton and Wright in free agency this year, I don't think they're counting on it. FWIW, Randle is on a future's contract ... woah.

On the CB side of the fence, they have guys like Jonathan Banks, Kyle Fuller and Prince Amukamara (and Tracy Porter Laughing). Not the best corps out there, but it's serviceable.

I vote Williams.

EDIT: I see where the voting is going. That may be their final choice, but I suspect the Chicago front office is a lot more hesitant than they might have been a month ago.


The Bears have been converting to a 3-4 under Vic Fangio so they could use another ILB along with Trevathan, but I don't see Reuben Foster being valued any higher than 9 at this point.


I can agree with you there. Forgot they were converting to a 3-4, which might mean gambling on Allen is more likely.

Quote:
Mike Williams does not also go higher than 5 at this point either. Even with his updated 40 time. I think that just solidifies his status as better than Corey Davis. But I am not sure the Bears are wanting to oust Kevin White this early without him really getting into the offense yet. Meredith is also a cheaper #2 instead of drafting another WR in the first.


Here's where I disagree. Kevin White has given them next to nothing in his two years there (just four games). As you say, Meredith is probably a good #2 (and Royal a slot), but the rest of the guys they have are unreliable as receivers. None of them are realistically a #1.

Quote:
TE is a huge need, but does O.J. Howard go as high as 3?


Per DraftHistory.com, #3 overall would be the highest draft position for a TE (going back to 1960). It would be only the 5th TE taken in the top ten in the free agency era (1994-current). So, no, he does not or at least should not.

Quote:
Adams and Hooker could go this high and while Amos has a solid season in 2016, Adams make a lot of sense and is a big upgrade at that position.


I debated one of those two, and I could see the Bears making a play there if they are unsure of Allen's shoulder and feel their corners are okay. That said, I think they'd go for Lattimore over one of the other two if it came down to it, simply because of positional value.

Top ten safeties (drafted as safeties, not as corners who moved) since 1994:
2002 - Roy Williams (8th)
2004 - Sean Taylor (5th, RIP)
2006 - Michael Huff (7th)
2006 - Donte Whitner (8th)
2007 - LaRon Landry (6th)
2010 - Eric Berry (5th)
2012 - Mark Barron (7th)

Outside of ST and Berry (and maybe Roy Williams), that's not a good list of players. I'm not sure I would want to be spending my 3rd overall draft pick on a safety unless I am absolutely sure they are the next ST or Berry or I have an absolute dire need for a safety (see the Chargers when we get to them).

Quote:
I personally think that Williams is a huge reach at this point considering they are stacked to an extent at WR and need to see what they have before they throw it all away on Mike Williams as the answer.

Jonathan Allen at this point may even be a reach.


Agree to disagree on the bolded part.

I will admit I'm a tad surprised there are no votes for Lattimore. If you don't think any of the offensive talent is worth it, that Foster would be too high at #3, and that Allen may be too big of a risk due to his shoulder, why wouldn't you consider the #1 CB?
Lets assume the Bears go along with your analysis here. Wouldn't it be better to just roll the dice on John Allen's health than reach for a WR like Williams? You're throwing a CB out there, but they don't usually go in the top 3 either.
_________________


Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 26894
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Lets assume the Bears go along with your analysis here. Wouldn't it be better to just roll the dice on John Allen's health than reach for a WR like Williams?


In the end, I suspect that's what will end up happening. But I was making the call right now.

Quote:
You're throwing a CB out there, but they don't usually go in the top 3 either.


Usually? No, but it has happened (Shawn Springs 1997 1.03). I would also say that top ten corners have had decent returns. In the free agency era:
1994 1.09 CLE Antonio Langham
1997 1.03 SEA Shawn Springs
1997 1.05 DET Bryant Westbrook
1997 1.09 ARI Tom Knight
1998 1.04 OAK Charles Woodson
1998 1.10 BAL Duane Starks
1999 1.07 WAS Champ Bailey (*sigh*)
1999 1.10 BAL Chris McAllister
2002 1.05 SDG Quentin Jammer
2003 1.05 DAL Terence Newman
2004 1.08 ATL DeAngelo Hall
2004 1.10 HOU Dunta Robinson
2005 1.06 CIN Adam Jones
2005 1.08 ARI Antrel Rolle
2005 1.09 WAS Carlos Rogers
2010 1.07 CLE Joe Haden
2011 1.05 ARI Patrick Peterson
2012 1.06 DAL Morris Claiborne
2012 1.10 BUF Stephon Gilmore
2013 1.09 NYJ Dee Milliner
2014 1.08 CLE Justin Gilbert
2016 1.05 JAC Jalen Ramsey

Should they go corner at #3? Perhaps not, given the bigger need at DL, but it's not that unheard of if they were to do it. Maybe a minor reach.

In the end, though, I think the board has spoken and the Bears are taking Allen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mike23md


Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 9963
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This draft is very deep at CB and Chicago could easily upgrade the defensive line with arguably the best defensive player on the board (barring injury) and take another CB in the 2nd round like Gareon Conley, Kevin King, Quincy Wilson, just to name a few.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 26894
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
This draft is very deep at CB and Chicago could easily upgrade the defensive line with arguably the best defensive player on the board (barring injury) and take another CB in the 2nd round like Gareon Conley, Kevin King, Quincy Wilson, just to name a few.


Fair enough. It's the "barring injury" that I think gives them pause.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group