Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DEE RAWL's Post-FA Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: DEE RAWL's Post-FA Mock Reply with quote

FA Signing-

John Sullivan, C, Redskins- 1 yr $1.5 million

This is a tiny bit of a shot in the dark, but I think we will sign one of the vet FA centers prior to the draft. I just canít imagine McVay being comfortable with a rookie running the show up front. Sullivan isnít great by any means, but he was with McVay in Washington so it sort of makes sense I guess.

2017 NFL DRAFT-

Round 2 pick 5) Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss

With the cutting of Kendricks (thank gawd), the signing of Woods, and McVayís featuring of multiple TE sets with a specialization of the H-back position, Engram makes way too much sense here. The value is right, and Engram fits the bill for what McVay loves. Everyone has always been aware of Engramís talent as a receiving TE, but after he ran a blazing 4.42 40 at the combine everyone has been looking a little harder. Engram doesnít offer a whole lot as a blocker, but he shows the willingness to do just enough to be effective. His speed, hands, and ability to be a mismatch nightmare will allow Goff to take a step forward in 2017.

Round 3 pick 5) Sidney Jones, CB, Washington

I can already see the responses after this one. Spending one of the last of the valuable resources we have on a CB that wonít even play this year is ridiculous! I disagree. Jones is THAT good that he is a steal anywhere outside of the first round. He has size, length, speed, instincts, and a physicality that is a rare combo to find and normally only exists in top 10 picks. He can spend an entire year to rehab and get back to 100% and either step in opposite of Trumaine if we end up working out a long-term deal, and if we donít he can step in for Trumaine as a lockdown man-to-man corner that Wade Phillipís needs for his defense.

Round 4 pick 5) Isaac Asiata, G/C, Utah

While we will likely find a stop-gap starting center in the coming weeks, we still need to find powerful interior OL/ a potential starting G/C for the future. Asiata isnít a perfect prospect, and while he can struggle in pass protection, he puts the POWER in power blocking. I will tell you this, I recently sat down with one of the Ramsí scouting assistants and they believe that Utah has the most talented OL in the country collectively so if you donít like the thought of any of them up front next year, I suggest you consider trying to come to terms with the possibility.

Round 4 comp) Shelton Gibson, WR, West Virginia

It is very possible that we will take a WR sooner in the draft, but Gibson would fit the DJax role in McVayís offense very well. While he didnít run as fast as he plays (4.51 at the combine), he is known for running by corners like they are standing still. Gibson is known for his spectacular catches, but will have some drops at times. He does however, show that he is a willing blocker.

Round 5 pick 5) Eddie Jackson, FS, Alabama

Jackson was a guy that I mocked last year before he announced that he would be returning for his senior season. I bet he wishes he would have declared having his season cut short and his draft stock taking a hit after suffering a broken leg. Jackson would offer an option at FS and as Lunatic has eluded to, even a possible slot corner in a pinch.

Round 6 pick 5) Ejuan Price, OLB, Pitt

Iím not trying to claim originality for this idea as Iíve never included Price in any of my mocks and jrry has, but I did watch Price a little while back and was blown away. He is very undersized at only 6í1Ē, but where he lacks in size he makes up for with speed, quickness, and strength (sound familiar??). His motor can be a little inconsistent at times, but when he turns it on its not even fair. I hope someone gets him on the field because he can play.

Round 6 pick 22) Darreus Rogers, WR, USC

Rogers isnít the household USC name that Juju is, but he is a solid WR in his own right. Local kid straight outta Compton, he came up with some big time catches during his time in LA displaying strong hands and physicality.

Projected SLU

QB- Goff
RB- Gurley
FB- Harkey
TE- Higbee/Engram
Z- Austin
X- Woods
SL- Cooper
LT- Whitworth
LG- Saffold
C- Sullivan
RG- Robinson
RT- Havenstein

Will- Quinn
RE- Easley
NT- Brockers
LE- Donald
Sam- Barwin
Chase- Barron
Plug- Ogletree
RCB- Webster
LCB- Johnson
SCB- Gaines vs Joyner
FS- Joyner vs Jackson
SS- Alexander

1. Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss
2. Dan Feeney, G/C, Indiana
3. JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC
4. Zay Jones, WR, ECU
5. Tim Williams, EDGE, Bama
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Sidney Jones, but it's hard to accept that we basically didn't address CB in 2017. We'll be severely lacking in DL and CB depth.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
I really like Sidney Jones, but it's hard to accept that we basically didn't address CB in 2017. We'll be severely lacking in DL and CB depth.

Yeah i felt the same way when I was going back and fourth making this, and while Im sure there will be some DL & secondary taken late, something will be left out. Missing a 1st round pick puts the team that already lacks depth & talent as it is puts us in quite a bind. Just have to hope injuries stay at a minimum and maybe we hit on a couple UFAs

4. Zay Jones, WR, ECU
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

Yeah i felt the same way when I was going back and fourth making this, and while Im sure there will be some DL & secondary taken late, something will be left out. Missing a 1st round pick puts the team that already lacks depth & talent as it is puts us in quite a bind. Just have to hope injuries stay at a minimum and maybe we hit on a couple UFAs

Well, you did leave out our 7th round pick from the Ravens. But one issue is that you have us drafting three WRs.(let's be real, Engram is a big slot WR)

It may not make a huge difference, but if you were to add the 7th and replace Rogers with a CB or DL, that would make some difference.

I can't really disagree strongly with your picks, but there would be some issues we'd have to deal with. The one pick that I do object to is Darreus Rogers. He has outstanding mitts, but I don't see the necessary separation skills. We've already got a lot of young WRs. I'd pass on him there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I did leave that out, to be honest I wouldnt be able to make an educated pick in the 7th. But I definitely see what youre saying in regards to the late round picks and using them for depth.

4. Zay Jones, WR, ECU
RamPackFan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know much about those 2 WR's to be honest, but I do like the rest of the Mock! Would be sweet to steal Jones in the 3rd or 4th "IF" we can also snag another CB for THIS YEAR, either cheap in FA or later in the draft. Now that we have a better coordinator I believe our chances are much better for finding value in later rounds OR even UDFA pool, such as another Chris Harris (for example).

PS. I like the clip art...how'd you do that?
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like it, but instead of Gibson in the 4th, I'd probably have to go with secondary or DL personally. I really like Rogers and the value with that pick, so I'd take him in that slot over Gibson in the 4th and address some needs there instead. Nice job!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid draft. Love the Engram pick in round 2.

My biggest concern is Sidney Jones and how he is after tearing his Achilles. It's usually a career ender for a rb/wr. I can't think of any Cbs who tore theirs and bounced back.

Id also swap out a Cb for one of the WRs if we don't end up getting another one in free agency.

Nice work!

2016 Adopt a Ram, Mark Barron OLB

TKL:108 FF:1 INT:2 SCK:1 TFL:5

"That's some 7-9 BS."
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car_Ramrod wrote:

My biggest concern is Sidney Jones and how he is after tearing his Achilles. It's usually a career ender for a rb/wr. I can't think of any Cbs who tore theirs and bounced back.

Id also swap out a Cb for one of the WRs if we don't end up getting another one in free agency.

Nice work!

Most players tear it near the end of their career. But a lot of guys have come back from it recently. Brett Grimes tore his a few years ago. DeMaryius Thomas tore his early in his career. Terrell Suggs and Steve Smith are two recent examples. Leon Hall also tore his. There are more. Those are just off the top of my head.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car_Ramrod wrote:

Nice work!

5-7 years ago? Sure. But guys are actually coming back from the injury at a better clip now; just depends on the severity of the tear. Michael Crabtree came back from his 2013 tear to play - and continue to play - at a high level.

That said, this team isn't in a position to spend a 3rd round pick on a player that isn't going play as a rookie and with an unknown recovery time-table or scope (i.e. if he does recover, to how much of his pre-injury form/ability). A Day 3 pick, maybe, but we lack the depth to support that kind of move.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Car_Ramrod wrote:

Nice work!

5-7 years ago? Sure. But guys are actually coming back from the injury at a better clip now; just depends on the severity of the tear. Michael Crabtree came back from his 2013 tear to play - and continue to play - at a high level.

That said, this team isn't in a position to spend a 3rd round pick on a player that isn't going play as a rookie and with an unknown recovery time-table or scope (i.e. if he does recover, to how much of his pre-injury form/ability). A Day 3 pick, maybe, but we lack the depth to support that kind of move.

This team does lack both depth and talent, which is why Ill gladly use a 3rd round pick on a top 10 talent. Even if this staff somehow do a good enough job and find a way to make it to the playoffs, this team is still not a legit contender so why get a player that could help reach that point in a year or two?

Regardless, I get it, and chances are we wont take him.

4. Zay Jones, WR, ECU
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
The LBC wrote:
Car_Ramrod wrote:

Nice work!

This team does lack both depth and talent, which is why Ill gladly use a 3rd round pick on a top 10 talent. Even if this staff somehow do a good enough job and find a way to make it to the playoffs, this team is still not a legit contender so why get a player that could help reach that point in a year or two?

Regardless, I get it, and chances are we wont take him.

He was a Top 10 talent before the injury. He's currently an unknown; blindly assuming he heals to 100% or even 90-95% of his previous ability isn't wise, particularly at a position where the guys who lean on their athleticism tend to fall off quickly once age starts sapping that athleticism. The fair potential for this injury to sap explosiveness and agility (COD ability, ability to plant and go, etc.) can't be ignored and certainly can synthesize the effect that advanced age can have on the player, albeit 10 years prematurely.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
RamsFan24

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mock overall Dee Rawl, I really like the Engram, Jackson and Price picks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: