Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

who's sailing the Vikings' QB2 ship in 2017?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rolling with Heinecke as the #2, as long as he doesn't do something stupid again trying to help out another friend and drafting another developmental guy in the 6th or 7th round or UDFA.

Thx to Lil Uno!
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go Heinecke and sign some UDFA types out of smaller schools that aren't as well scouted (as if that exists).

It is possible I'd pick up a more veterany QB, but I'm just not convinced this team is a legit SB contender. If I was, I would pick one up.

Frankly, I'd be signing Bradford to an extension...but that is off topic.
NorthCountryEvo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be prudent to at least bring in an UDFA or two, but I am not sure I would want us to draft a guy before the 5th round. This QB class is very underwhelming, but there are guys who can develop into backups at the very least.

If we don't restructure/extend Bradford, then we are looking at a very interesting situation. Either they A) plan on hoping to sign Sam after the year is over, which means his price will only increase, B) They expect Teddy to be ready by next year, which is a big gamble, or C) we plan on being in the hunt for a rookie starting in 2018.

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, and I looked and behold, a Pale Horse...

And his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

NSDQ
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthCountryEvo wrote:
If we don't restructure/extend Bradford, then we are looking at a very interesting situation. Either they A) plan on hoping to sign Sam after the year is over, which means his price will only increase, B) They expect Teddy to be ready by next year, which is a big gamble, or C) we plan on being in the hunt for a rookie starting in 2018.

A possibility I could see be entertained: franchise tag

It would be a jump up from his current cap number, but not as much as you might think. It would also give us another year to evaluate the situation.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
NorthCountryEvo wrote:

A possibility I could see be entertained: franchise tag

It would be a jump up from his current cap number, but not as much as you might think. It would also give us another year to evaluate the situation.

Agreed. That's an option I didn't address, but it's a very viable option, as shown with the whole Kirk Cousins fiasco.

Not that they would want to go that route however, since it's not generally how they like to do things.

Thx to Lil Uno!
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Not that they would want to go that route however, since it's not generally how they like to do things.

Neither was trading a future first rounder.....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
disaacs wrote:

Neither was trading a future first rounder.....

There is precedent for that...remember Jared Allen? Spielman made that trade (even though it was probably done through the consensus-building process).

There has been no real precedent on using the franchise tag, outside of giving themselves a little extra time on working on a long-term deal with Chad Greenway (under this regime in 2011). In fact, no team has used the franchise tag less than the Vikings, who have only used it twice in it's entire 25-year history (it was also used on Jim Kleinsasser in 2003). It's just not something that they really do...ever. If they want to keep a player around, they work out a fair deal for them in advance. There is no acrimony, which what usually surrounds the use of the franchise tag.

Thx to Lil Uno!
Boda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesfan89 wrote:
I don't think they need to draft a QB, but I do hope they do there due diligence on them. If they think that they have a chance to draft a Russel Wilson or Dak Prescott in the 3rd or 4th round, I wouldn't be against them drafting a QB that high. Obviously the chances of that are slim, but until we know that we have a franchise QB, we should always be keeping our eye open

This.

I'd roll with Heinicke as the QB2. We've spent the time developing him and now its time to see what we have in him, well atleast as our backup.

If the Vikes decide to go the draft route I'd love to see them take Pat Mahomes if he fell to the 3rd or 4th or Chad Kelly in the 5th or 6th.

SteelKing728 wrote:

Heinicke is the number 2 and we look to draft a QB early in 2018.

Personally as it stands now I still want to see us address OT early in '18.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I've heard about Chad Kelly I wouldn't consider him at all. Apparently, he's a jerk and not a leader at all. Couple that with his apparent issues that caused him to be disinvited from the Combine, he wouldn't fit in this organization at all. God love Jim Kelly, but apparently his nephew is a mess.

Thx to Lil Uno!
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chase Daniel is returning to his roots as a backup to Drew Brees in New Orleans. Daniel, a free agent quarterback who spent his first four seasons as a backup with the Saints, will sign a one-year contract with the team, according to Adam Caplan of ESPN.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/29/saints-to-sign-chase-daniel/

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
byuvike88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I wouldn't mind bringing in Blaine Gabbert to compete with Heinicke for the backup job. I'd also bring in an UDFA to have four QBs in the preseason.

Gabbert was somewhat decent in SF prior to Kelly arriving.

I'm on board with this. Of all the realistic back up QB's left he would probably be my top choice.

Unless T jack comes back Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byuvike88 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
I wouldn't mind bringing in Blaine Gabbert to compete with Heinicke for the backup job. I'd also bring in an UDFA to have four QBs in the preseason.

I'm on board with this. Of all the realistic back up QB's left he would probably be my top choice.

Quoting my post from another thread because the convo really belongs over here.

But in no way do I believe he is even a suitable QB.

Quote:
Nope, he has actually been one of the worst starting QB's in the league since he got here.

Panic, locks on to one receiver, struggles to get the ball past the ten yard line, and when he throws the ball past it, it is usually an over-throw.

Gabbert is very very bad.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
byuvike88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
byuvike88 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Quote:
Nope, he has actually been one of the worst starting QB's in the league since he got here.

Panic, locks on to one receiver, struggles to get the ball past the ten yard line, and when he throws the ball past it, it is usually an over-throw.

Of the available back ups who would you take then?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
byuvike88 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Quote:

He is a typical backup quality QB filling a backup role. As long as he came cheap, I think he could be competent enough. I honestly wouldn't mind carrying 3 QBs given Bradford's injury history and Heinicke being rather unknown.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And like I said in the other thread...

TJ Yates.

I don't know why, but I just like his grittiness and I think he's got solid backup experience.

Thx to Lil Uno!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: