Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

WR Laquon Treadwell: Year2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
solidvikingfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Purplexing wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
Didn't read most of this thread I think, but does anyone think we'll use Treadwell in the slot this year to get him slowly acclimated, or just keep him on the outside to let Diggs man that spot?

Just throwing discussion points out there..

Diggs and Wright are slot WRs. So, it makes more sense to keep Treadwell outside for most snaps.

I'm not sure about MoBo, whose development we haven't heard much about lately. It seems he'd be an outside WR... but ... but...

But, anything could happen! Laughing

Diggs can play on the outside quite well and should start on the outside over Treadwell. Diggs is also our best slot WR also so it makes sense to bring Treadwell on the field in 3 WR sets.

Thielen also can play that role he displaced Wright for it when we started the season then he displaced Charles Johnson a couple weeks later to be our other starter on the outside.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How well does Treadwell block?

A few other Vikings WRs are 'knowns' as regarding their blocking ability.

Is this an area of deficiency that prevented Treadwell from getting more snaps in 2016? Same question might be asked about bench-surfer Wright.

How much does Shurmur weigh a WR's ability to block in getting him on the field regularly?
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:

Is this an area of deficiency that prevented Treadwell from getting more snaps in 2016? Same question might be asked about bench-surfer Wright.

How much does Shurmur weigh a WR's ability to block in getting him on the field regularly?

Treadwell is a fantastic blocker.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:

He is fantastic, best in his class. Main reason you see comps to Anquan Boldin all the time. Big possession receivers that can block.

We aren't going to see Shurmur ever use the WR's to block like they do out in Arizona for example, but they do expect them to block. This isn't something you usually put players on the bench for.

Not that it is the same type of blocking but if you go back and watch some Kick Returns from this past year while he was playing he thru quite a few nice blocks.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks. It seems Wright isn't as good a blocker as Treadwell, as implied by the two posters above. The same might be the case - or not - for Bohringer.

Treadwell may have an advantage due to his blocking prowess, and more versatility than Wright, to become WR#3.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
OK, thanks. It seems Wright isn't as good a blocker as Treadwell, as implied by the two posters above. The same might be the case - or not - for Bohringer.

Treadwell may have an advantage due to his blocking prowess, and more versatility than Wright, to become WR#3.

I think becoming #3 needs to happen for Treadwell. However, Wright is still ahead of Treadwell as a pure receiver. Wright knows how to get open so I wouldn't assume Treadwell to be the favorite.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Purplexing wrote:

I think becoming #3 needs to happen for Treadwell. However, Wright is still ahead of Treadwell as a pure receiver. Wright knows how to get open so I wouldn't assume Treadwell to be the favorite.

Pre-season will sort out WR#3 and WR#4. It may be that Turner didn't want to use a rookie WR with a new QB having to rapidly learn the O in 2016. Pre-season will give all receivers a chance to gain the trust of Bradford. The new WR coach will be a pivotal person in that regard.
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Zimmer at Owners Meeting:

on Laquon Treadwell: "I think he's healthy because he was in last week. I think he's going to have a good year.''

said Laquon Treadwell has the basics down but still needs to learn the subtle aspects of the game.

on Laquon Treadwell: I think he has to just come in and be an athlete.'' Says needs to relax.

-Dan Gable
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given what we know about Treadwell's work ethic, I just don't see a way that he completely fails. He may never be that superstar wide receiver, but he should easily become a weapon in a solid corps of receivers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Given what we know about Treadwell's work ethic, I just don't see a way that he completely fails. He may never be that superstar wide receiver, but he should easily become a weapon in a solid corps of receivers.

WRs who fit his skill set, lacking quality athletic traits must become a technician. Treadwell needs to learn how to get open, he doesn't have the quickness of Diggs or the explosiveness of Thielen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
SemperFeist wrote:

WRs who fit his skill set, lacking quality athletic traits must become a technician. Treadwell needs to learn how to get open, he doesn't have the quickness of Diggs or the explosiveness of Thielen.

One thing he actually is pretty good at is finding holes in zone coverage. Will be interesting to see how we use him this year. Even last year there were times where he probably should have been the target because he did find himself open and he wasn't looked at whether he was farther down in the read or the QB just missed him.

-Dan Gable
wcblack34

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my major frustrations last year was when we were inside the five yard line, trying to run the ball, and Treadwell was on the sidelines. Even in obvious running situations. He's the best blocker at WR we have on the team. Heck, he's a better blocker than any of the Tight Ends we have on the team.

“Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.”
byuvike88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
One of my major frustrations last year was when we were inside the five yard line, trying to run the ball, and Treadwell was on the sidelines. Even in obvious running situations. He's the best blocker at WR we have on the team. Heck, he's a better blocker than any of the Tight Ends we have on the team.

This. It drove me nuts to watch them try and pound Asiata into the middle of the line when it never worked.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byuvike88 wrote:
wcblack34 wrote:

This. It drove me nuts to watch them try and pound Asiata into the middle of the line when it never worked.

I never understood why any team really does this anymore. Defense has 11 guys, offense has really 9 guys to block them.

I feel like a spread out formation would make this a lot easier to gain 1 yard rather than a tight offense and using to lead blocker through the whole that usually just end up plugging up the situation.

-Dan Gable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: