Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Armsteeld March Madness Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Armsteeld March Madness Mock Reply with quote

RD1. Carl Lawson OLB 6'2 261: Power. Quickness. Violent hands. Pass rusher. Run stuffer. Has experience dropping into coverage. Battle tested. Moats and Chickillo, you have been served. Step up or get out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S2V-HyJt1w

RD2. Desmond King CB 5'10 201: Fundamentally sound. Solid tackler. Sticky coverage. Scheme diverse. Man and zone capable. Competition for Golson and other CBs on the roster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTZMdwJUzfY

RD3. Rasul Douglas CB 6'2 209: Big ballhawking prospect. Has some quickness to his game but long speed is below average running a 4.59 40 yard dash. With his length, he is able to cover up his lack of top speed. If Ross Cockrell is resigned or not, this guy is someone who is similar but more physical and can catch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8noA7xQJ0E

RD3. Tarell Basham OLB 6'4 269: Big. Powerful. Relentless. Violent hands. Solid pass rusher. This move all but guarantees Chickillo might be done as a member of the Steelers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baG4iB-nJRI

RD4. Michael Roberts TE 6'4 270: Big bodied with nimble feet. Solid hands but uses big frame to box out defender. Has impressive body control for such a big man. Plays inline and flexed. Can beat CBs with subtle moves and too big for Safeties. Dude has the body of Antonio Gates and the energy and fire of Martellus Bennett. Immediate contributor and rotates with multiple TE sets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWAdc8WAw_s

RD5. Brian Hill RB 6'1 219: Powerful runner with quick feet. Has good vision. Runs with good balance. Has nice speed. Would be a nice relief for Bell, if they decide to rest him. Immediate upgrade at RB over Toussaint and other reserves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbONj24BVKc

RD6. Ben Gedeon ILB 6'2 244: Great blitzer. Gets off blocks well. Active hands. Sticky in coverage. Diagnoses plays well. Solid tackler. Short area quickness is impressive. Cuts off many outside runs/scrambles by ball carriers. May go way earlier but I like this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiAFhN1Rhbo

RD7. Javancy Jones OLB/MLB 6'2 250: Powerful. Relentless. Explosive. Uses hands well. Violent hitter and solid tackler. Very confident in his abilities. I've been talking to him on Twitter and he would love to play as a Steeler. He played under 4 different coordinators and 4 different positions in college. Smaller version of Donta Hightower.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrLxT_R_3FM

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky

Last edited by armsteeld on Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like it. I'm a big fan of Bashem but I wonder if he'll fall. I've been seeing late 2nd lately.

Deadpulse on the sig
jebrick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did they get the other 7th round pick? I do love Jones in the 7th.

I like the 1st 4 picks. i think King will become a FS

Basham I worry about because of his total lack of explosion off the edge. He has a high motor but I think his better position is LDE in a 4-3

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOSteelers56 wrote:
I really like it. I'm a big fan of Bashem but I wonder if he'll fall. I've been seeing late 2nd lately.

I didn't think many liked him in the scouting community. I saw some had as a day 3 selection.

Here is Lance Zierlein's scouting report on Bashem:

OVERVIEW
Basham's become quite a football player during his career at Ohio, but his parents are probably most proud of his perfect high school attendance and the fact he's the first member of the family to attend college. He played one fall at Hargrave Military Academy, which prepared him to make an impression in his freshman year, earning Freshman All-American notice (9.5 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks). He played well in 2014 (six TFL, five sacks) and 2015 (led team with 11 TFL, 5.5 sacks), as well, but really broke out in 2016 as the Mid-American Conference's Defensive Player of the Year (16 tackles for loss, 11.5 sacks ? tied for 11th in the FBS).
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Possesses an NFL-ready build including long arms and big, strong hands. Shows flashes of explosive twitch in his attack upfield. Able to dislodge a tackle's anchor with his speed-to-power move. Has upper body power and traits to become better at softening the edge as a rusher. Plays with good short area burst to close out running backs and scrambling quarterbacks. Maintains functional motor to keep looking for tackles outside of his general area. Asked to drop into space at times and showed enough athletic ability to handle it. Roughneck who likes to take it to tackles and tight ends as edge-setter. Gives physical redirect of tight ends getting into routes.
WEAKNESSES Plays with tightness in his hips which restricts his bend and pad level. Straight-line attacker who will roll past his target if he doesn't gather his weight early. His pass rush attack is still basic. Leaves his hands at home rather than turning them into weapons of victory. Tries to bull his way around the edge with strong lower body rather than softening edge with his hands. Needs to develop a better plan with reliable counters to beat pro tackles. Lacks smoothness in his turn around the corner. Can still get more out of his long arms.
SOURCES TELL US "He is similar to Carl Lawson but I think you can get him probably a couple of rounds later or maybe more. I think he can still get a lot better as a pass rusher." -- NFC area scout
BOTTOM LINE Basham has the strength and length to play as a 4-3 base end or as a 3-4 rush linebacker, but his pass rush approach will need to be sharpened as he lacks the flexibility to bend the edge and attack the pocket with athleticism alone. Basham may never produce a high sack total, but his alpha playing style will appeal to teams looking to groom a solid backup with starter's potential.
-Lance Zierlein

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
How did they get the other 7th round pick? I do love Jones in the 7th.

I like the 1st 4 picks. i think King will become a FS

Basham I worry about because of his total lack of explosion off the edge. He has a high motor but I think his better position is LDE in a 4-3

I forgot that our compensatory pick was changed to a 3rd but most mocks had us getting a 7th. I will stick With Jones over Travis. Damarius is someone that the Steelers have been drooling on for awhile and I feel he could be someone they really want to draft.

Chieferific

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of different picks that we seldom hear about. Did you have them taking Lawson in lieu of Harris and McKinley or do you like him as a prospect more then those two? I also noticed you didn't add your boy Anderson. I've seen his stock dropping though that's the opinion of the "experts" and not necessarily NFL FOs.

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
A lot of different picks that we seldom hear about. Did you have them taking Lawson in lieu of Harris and McKinley or do you like him as a prospect more then those two? I also noticed you didn't add your boy Anderson. I've seen his stock dropping though that's the opinion of the "experts" and not necessarily NFL FOs.

I like Lawson more than the other two. I still have a huge man crush on Anderson. I actually think Anderson would make a smooth transition to ILB similar to Dante Hightower. They are very similar in skill set and size.

Anderson was arrested for a DV along with the woman who accused him. I see the Ravens, Eagles, or Saints as landing spots.

Chieferific

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
Chieferific wrote:

I like Lawson more than the other two. I still have a huge man crush on Anderson. I actually think Anderson would make a smooth transition to ILB similar to Dante Hightower. They are very similar in skill set and size.

Anderson was arrested for a DV along with the woman who accused him. I see the Ravens, Eagles, or Saints as landing spots.

The only concern with Lawson is medical but the same goes with McKinley. I see Harris as not being as explosive but has more of an all around game. You can't go wrong with either IMO. I hadn't thought about Anderson at ILB but the transition makes since. If that DV is dropped (considering they both were arrested there's a good chance) perhaps he stays on the Steelers' big board. Imagine a haul of Lawson at OLB, a CB like one of the Kings and Anderson at ILB.

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
Chieferific wrote:

The only concern with Lawson is medical but the same goes with McKinley. I see Harris as not being as explosive but has more of an all around game. You can't go wrong with either IMO. I hadn't thought about Anderson at ILB but the transition makes since. If that DV is dropped (considering they both were arrested there's a good chance) perhaps he stays on the Steelers' big board. Imagine a haul of Lawson at OLB, a CB like one of the Kings and Anderson at ILB.

Orgasmic Embarassed

Gatoradus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld-

You seemingly to believe we will target a pass rusher in the first round. Why?

I'm not saying you are wrong or anything, I just want to see your perception. Personally, I think they would aim for a hybrid player (yikes). I prefer a cornerback, but wouldn't complain if they target an EDGE player.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
armsteeld-

I'm not saying you are wrong or anything, I just want to see your perception. Personally, I think they would aim for a hybrid player (yikes). I prefer a cornerback, but wouldn't complain if they target an EDGE player.

I feel we SHOULD and would have no issues if we drafted a CB or Safety. Melifonwu isn't an exciting player to watch but he is sound. Of course he has angles and late to the party issues at time but I can see him being picked. He is way better than Kearse from last year:wink:

Dupree and Harrison are our starting OLBs. Their backups are Arthur Moats and Anthony Chickillo. We have one starter who is close to being 40 years old and less than stellar backups who are better at STs. Harrison will be rotating and Chickillo and Moats were very disappointing in my opinion.

AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
Gatoradus wrote:
armsteeld-

I feel we SHOULD and would have no issues if we drafted a CB or Safety. Melifonwu isn't an exciting player to watch but he is sound. Of course he has angles and late to the party issues at time but I can see him being picked. He is way better than Kearse from last year:wink:

Dupree and Harrison are our starting OLBs. Their backups are Arthur Moats and Anthony Chickillo. We have one starter who is close to being 40 years old and less than stellar backups who are better at STs. Harrison will be rotating and Chickillo and Moats were very disappointing in my opinion.

An edge guy probably seems more playing time too...at worst a 1st or 2nd rd guy is probably top backup at OLB and rotates in.

A CB probably doesn't beat out all of Cockrell-Gay-Sensabaugh...not saying CB help isn't needed but more than likely that guy starts in 2018, notthis year.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
Gatoradus wrote:
armsteeld-

An edge guy probably seems more playing time too...at worst a 1st or 2nd rd guy is probably top backup at OLB and rotates in.

A CB probably doesn't beat out all of Cockrell-Gay-Sensabaugh...not saying CB help isn't needed but more than likely that guy starts in 2018, notthis year.

Agreed to a point. Cockrell is someone the Steelers seem like they want to lose. They're in no rush to sign him and want that 4th round pick.

Gay is almost done. Those old legs have served him well but I think he is physically declining. Underrated guy most of his career but has had some huge plays through his career.

Sensabaugh is someone I don't know anything about. No old film on him out here that I can find. He could be expendable if he doesn't pick the system up or struggles on ST.

MDSteeler1971

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like jebrick said King has been projected as moving to FS by most everyone.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDSteeler1971 wrote:
Like jebrick said King has been projected as moving to FS by most everyone.

King's pro day is today. If he runs under a 4.55, I still see him as a CB. Anything slower and Safety should be his position.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: