Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Giants Sign JPP to Multi-Year Contract
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
base615


Joined: 26 Mar 2014
Posts: 681
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheDot wrote:
Wow what a deal.

He better give his agent a high 4 for getting that done.


Really a high 3 1/2 to be fair
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
reckless123


Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 22499
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
I am a Cowboys fan so boo me all you want, but there is virtually no way possible that your DEs justify their pay. They would have to be Ware/Miller.


First of all the cap is increasing soon. Second of all, these are two guys that are every down players, can be positioned every position on the line. Vernon and JPP aren't as good pass rushers as Von but they're definitely more rounded players and they're both better players than Ware was when he was in Denver.
_________________


"I'm not in danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gmen


Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 17463
Location: Myyyyy precioussss
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
I am a Cowboys fan so boo me all you want, but there is virtually no way possible that your DEs justify their pay. They would have to be Ware/Miller.


First of all the cap is increasing soon. Second of all, these are two guys that are every down players, can be positioned every position on the line. Vernon and JPP aren't as good pass rushers as Von but they're definitely more rounded players and they're both better players than Ware was when he was in Denver.

This is all true as well. I would much rather be the Giants who use their cap space to the fullest to keep their team competitive, versus a team like the Browns who has all the cap space in the world and still let some of their best players walk (Alex Mack last year). It's not like that money is coming out of my pocket. Laughing
_________________


"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minutemancl


Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 14594
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll worry about money if those guys stop performing. As it is now, both are pro-bowl/all-pro players that play 93% of defensive snaps at the most important positions in a 4-3 defense.
_________________
aceinthehouse wrote:

1st yr head coaches rarely see success their 1st yr, if at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bzane


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 1204
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I read somewhere that Olivier Vernon's sack numbers dropped off after Jason Pierre-Paul went out with his injury-?
_________________
If dogs have a heaven, then this much I know-
Old Shep has a wonderful home!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
reckless123


Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 22499
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bzane wrote:
Thought I read somewhere that Olivier Vernon's sack numbers dropped off after Jason Pierre-Paul went out with his injury-?


OV got more of the attention from offenses than even JPP plus he played more than 90% of the snaps. So imagine JPP going down on top of all that.
_________________


"I'm not in danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MemphisEagles


Joined: 11 Nov 2014
Posts: 1716
Location: memphis
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like he's getting paid based off of what he did in the past and not what anyone thinks he will do in the future
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HTTRG3Dynasty


Joined: 03 Apr 2012
Posts: 10257
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't the Giants defense at their best down the stretch, with JPP off the field? At the very least, it looked like the defense didn't miss a beat without him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minutemancl


Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 14594
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Wasn't the Giants defense at their best down the stretch, with JPP off the field? At the very least, it looked like the defense didn't miss a beat without him.


We missed him for sure. Okwara isn't the same player JPP is, especially against the run. There's a reason Zeke was only able to run for 50 yards in the first meeting but over 100 in the second. The defense hit it's stride a little bit before the midway point of the season and continued throughout the rest of the regular season.
_________________
aceinthehouse wrote:

1st yr head coaches rarely see success their 1st yr, if at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HTTRG3Dynasty


Joined: 03 Apr 2012
Posts: 10257
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Wasn't the Giants defense at their best down the stretch, with JPP off the field? At the very least, it looked like the defense didn't miss a beat without him.


We missed him for sure. Okwara isn't the same player JPP is, especially against the run. There's a reason Zeke was only able to run for 50 yards in the first meeting but over 100 in the second. The defense hit it's stride a little bit before the midway point of the season and continued throughout the rest of the regular season.


The main reason for that I think was the Cowboys having La'el Collins in the lineup over Ronald Leary. Zeke really started to break out last year once Collins was replaced. The Redskins, who had one of the worst run defenses in the league last year, held Zeke to 83 yards, 1 TD, with a 4 YPC average in week 2 with Collins in the lineup. Later in the season, with Leary in the lineup, Zeke had 97 yards, 2 TDs, with a 4.8 YPC average.

You're obviously right that Okwara isn't the same player JPP is. But my question is, how much more value does JPP actually add? Is it worth $15.5M per season in exchange for the depth you could be building along the DL as a whole?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
reckless123


Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 22499
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
minutemancl wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Wasn't the Giants defense at their best down the stretch, with JPP off the field? At the very least, it looked like the defense didn't miss a beat without him.


We missed him for sure. Okwara isn't the same player JPP is, especially against the run. There's a reason Zeke was only able to run for 50 yards in the first meeting but over 100 in the second. The defense hit it's stride a little bit before the midway point of the season and continued throughout the rest of the regular season.


The main reason for that I think was the Cowboys having La'el Collins in the lineup over Ronald Leary. Zeke really started to break out last year once Collins was replaced. The Redskins, who had one of the worst run defenses in the league last year, held Zeke to 83 yards, 1 TD, with a 4 YPC average in week 2 with Collins in the lineup. Later in the season, with Leary in the lineup, Zeke had 97 yards, 2 TDs, with a 4.8 YPC average.

You're obviously right that Okwara isn't the same player JPP is. But my question is, how much more value does JPP actually add? Is it worth $15.5M per season in exchange for the depth you could be building along the DL as a whole?


What depth? By that mean from where? The best away to address that is through the draft. Say we let JPP go, we pay Hankins? Problem is that in today's market edge players are expensive. I didn't see anybody out there in the market where we could've got great value for what we pay JPP.
_________________


"I'm not in danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HTTRG3Dynasty


Joined: 03 Apr 2012
Posts: 10257
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
minutemancl wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Wasn't the Giants defense at their best down the stretch, with JPP off the field? At the very least, it looked like the defense didn't miss a beat without him.


We missed him for sure. Okwara isn't the same player JPP is, especially against the run. There's a reason Zeke was only able to run for 50 yards in the first meeting but over 100 in the second. The defense hit it's stride a little bit before the midway point of the season and continued throughout the rest of the regular season.


The main reason for that I think was the Cowboys having La'el Collins in the lineup over Ronald Leary. Zeke really started to break out last year once Collins was replaced. The Redskins, who had one of the worst run defenses in the league last year, held Zeke to 83 yards, 1 TD, with a 4 YPC average in week 2 with Collins in the lineup. Later in the season, with Leary in the lineup, Zeke had 97 yards, 2 TDs, with a 4.8 YPC average.

You're obviously right that Okwara isn't the same player JPP is. But my question is, how much more value does JPP actually add? Is it worth $15.5M per season in exchange for the depth you could be building along the DL as a whole?


What depth? By that mean from where? The best away to address that is through the draft. Say we let JPP go, we pay Hankins? Problem is that in today's market edge players are expensive. I didn't see anybody out there in the market where we could've got great value for what we pay JPP.


Again, your defense showed down the stretch last year that it doesn't really need JPP to still be elite. You could have upgraded your OL, your RBs, your TEs, etc. and that money would have been better allocated IMO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
reckless123


Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 22499
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
minutemancl wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Wasn't the Giants defense at their best down the stretch, with JPP off the field? At the very least, it looked like the defense didn't miss a beat without him.


We missed him for sure. Okwara isn't the same player JPP is, especially against the run. There's a reason Zeke was only able to run for 50 yards in the first meeting but over 100 in the second. The defense hit it's stride a little bit before the midway point of the season and continued throughout the rest of the regular season.


The main reason for that I think was the Cowboys having La'el Collins in the lineup over Ronald Leary. Zeke really started to break out last year once Collins was replaced. The Redskins, who had one of the worst run defenses in the league last year, held Zeke to 83 yards, 1 TD, with a 4 YPC average in week 2 with Collins in the lineup. Later in the season, with Leary in the lineup, Zeke had 97 yards, 2 TDs, with a 4.8 YPC average.

You're obviously right that Okwara isn't the same player JPP is. But my question is, how much more value does JPP actually add? Is it worth $15.5M per season in exchange for the depth you could be building along the DL as a whole?


What depth? By that mean from where? The best away to address that is through the draft. Say we let JPP go, we pay Hankins? Problem is that in today's market edge players are expensive. I didn't see anybody out there in the market where we could've got great value for what we pay JPP.


Again, your defense showed down the stretch last year that it doesn't really need JPP to still be elite. You could have upgraded your OL, your RBs, your TEs, etc. and that money would have been better allocated IMO.


And down the stretch, replace Okwara with JPP and you'll see the difference. Does Houston not need JJ Watt because they were great without him? Is that contract a overpay because they were great without him?

Aside from Martellus, who can we really have gotten that would've added value? RBs, again who? Before we even address the RB position, we address the o-line first and we also have the draft for that. It's easy to say we could've gotten so and so but our issues on the OL lie on the edges not interior and the tackle market was weak. We'll wait and see whether he's worth the money.
_________________


"I'm not in danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HTTRG3Dynasty


Joined: 03 Apr 2012
Posts: 10257
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
minutemancl wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Wasn't the Giants defense at their best down the stretch, with JPP off the field? At the very least, it looked like the defense didn't miss a beat without him.


We missed him for sure. Okwara isn't the same player JPP is, especially against the run. There's a reason Zeke was only able to run for 50 yards in the first meeting but over 100 in the second. The defense hit it's stride a little bit before the midway point of the season and continued throughout the rest of the regular season.


The main reason for that I think was the Cowboys having La'el Collins in the lineup over Ronald Leary. Zeke really started to break out last year once Collins was replaced. The Redskins, who had one of the worst run defenses in the league last year, held Zeke to 83 yards, 1 TD, with a 4 YPC average in week 2 with Collins in the lineup. Later in the season, with Leary in the lineup, Zeke had 97 yards, 2 TDs, with a 4.8 YPC average.

You're obviously right that Okwara isn't the same player JPP is. But my question is, how much more value does JPP actually add? Is it worth $15.5M per season in exchange for the depth you could be building along the DL as a whole?


What depth? By that mean from where? The best away to address that is through the draft. Say we let JPP go, we pay Hankins? Problem is that in today's market edge players are expensive. I didn't see anybody out there in the market where we could've got great value for what we pay JPP.


Again, your defense showed down the stretch last year that it doesn't really need JPP to still be elite. You could have upgraded your OL, your RBs, your TEs, etc. and that money would have been better allocated IMO.


And down the stretch, replace Okwara with JPP and you'll see the difference. Does Houston not need JJ Watt because they were great without him? Is that contract a overpay because they were great without him?

Aside from Martellus, who can we really have gotten that would've added value? RBs, again who? Before we even address the RB position, we address the o-line first and we also have the draft for that. It's easy to say we could've gotten so and so but our issues on the OL lie on the edges not interior and the tackle market was weak. We'll wait and see whether he's worth the money.


JJ Watt takes his defense to another level. I haven't seen evidence that JPP does the same. There comes a point of diminishing returns when you're putting too much money towards one position group, and allocating some of that money to other groups helps the team become more balanced and gives it a better chance of winning it all.

The tackle class is weak in the draft as well, so it should be interesting to see how you guys address that. But it's more than just about what you could have done this off-season in FA if you didn't have to pay JPP. It's about JPP's contract limiting you in future off-seasons as well.

The bottom line is, I just didn't notice a big difference in your defensive performance with JPP off the field (it arguably looked slightly better), and it will be interesting to see if that money could have been better spent elsewhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
reckless123


Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 22499
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
minutemancl wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Wasn't the Giants defense at their best down the stretch, with JPP off the field? At the very least, it looked like the defense didn't miss a beat without him.


We missed him for sure. Okwara isn't the same player JPP is, especially against the run. There's a reason Zeke was only able to run for 50 yards in the first meeting but over 100 in the second. The defense hit it's stride a little bit before the midway point of the season and continued throughout the rest of the regular season.


The main reason for that I think was the Cowboys having La'el Collins in the lineup over Ronald Leary. Zeke really started to break out last year once Collins was replaced. The Redskins, who had one of the worst run defenses in the league last year, held Zeke to 83 yards, 1 TD, with a 4 YPC average in week 2 with Collins in the lineup. Later in the season, with Leary in the lineup, Zeke had 97 yards, 2 TDs, with a 4.8 YPC average.

You're obviously right that Okwara isn't the same player JPP is. But my question is, how much more value does JPP actually add? Is it worth $15.5M per season in exchange for the depth you could be building along the DL as a whole?


What depth? By that mean from where? The best away to address that is through the draft. Say we let JPP go, we pay Hankins? Problem is that in today's market edge players are expensive. I didn't see anybody out there in the market where we could've got great value for what we pay JPP.


Again, your defense showed down the stretch last year that it doesn't really need JPP to still be elite. You could have upgraded your OL, your RBs, your TEs, etc. and that money would have been better allocated IMO.


And down the stretch, replace Okwara with JPP and you'll see the difference. Does Houston not need JJ Watt because they were great without him? Is that contract a overpay because they were great without him?

Aside from Martellus, who can we really have gotten that would've added value? RBs, again who? Before we even address the RB position, we address the o-line first and we also have the draft for that. It's easy to say we could've gotten so and so but our issues on the OL lie on the edges not interior and the tackle market was weak. We'll wait and see whether he's worth the money.


JJ Watt takes his defense to another level. I haven't seen evidence that JPP does the same. There comes a point of diminishing returns when you're putting too much money towards one position group, and allocating some of that money to other groups helps the team become more balanced and gives it a better chance of winning it all.

The tackle class is weak in the draft as well, so it should be interesting to see how you guys address that. But it's more than just about what you could have done this off-season in FA if you didn't have to pay JPP. It's about JPP's contract limiting you in future off-seasons as well.

The bottom line is, I just didn't notice a big difference in your defensive performance with JPP off the field (it arguably looked slightly better), and it will be interesting to see if that money could have been better spent elsewhere.


JJ Watt takes that defense to another level? If I'm not mistaken Texans were the #1 ranked defense last year without him. There wasn't a discernible difference With or without him. They were still pretty great without him. But it's irresponsible for me to say they're as good or better without him. Let's be real. It really has no credibility. I don't know what numbers you're referring to that suggest so but correlation doesn't equal causation. A

Same applies to JPP we were great with him and great without him. But we also have a great secondary who were great in coverage. Every team has flaws and you can't address all those needs in the offseason. Every team has holes and no team is going to have 0 holes. What teams do is try to mask those holes as much as possible

We invested heavily in the d-line which is where you should invest your money. Saying it looked better without JPP is not only incorrect but quite short sighted.

At the end of the day 15.5 million it's difficult to gauge what value you can get with that in FA. I don't know what guys of good quality we could get that would trump what JPP brings.
_________________


"I'm not in danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group