You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Davon House: Our Newest Addition at CB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BrettFavre004


Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 20582
Location: Galesville, WI
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
Cadmus wrote:
Pugger wrote:
I thought I heard when he was with us before he gave Jordy fits at practice.


This is true.

Nelson is on record saying that House was the toughest matchup for him during practice. It wasn't Williams, Shields or Hayward.


Jordy doesn't deal well with longer corners though, so this doesn't surprise me. Shields was speed and agility and some technique, but Jordy could definitely get his. He could overpower Hayward and out maneuver him. But House has enough size and technique to be a nuisance. Jordy struggled mightily against Gilmore in 2014 (another longer corner).

I really like the acquisition. It gives us additional flexibility in late April.


Agree, Jordy has always been dominated by Richard Sherman as well.
_________________


http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
CentralFC


Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 11933
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheOnlyThing wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
TheOnlyThing wrote:
Signing a player to a bargain contract at an obvious position of need would mean that even if House flames out, this was still a great signing.

However, I am more intrigued by the optimism that he may actually be a real asset to the D.

The consensus seems to be, mostly based on the OPs extensive research analysis, that House was (1) a top 1/2 (or higher) NFL CB starter in 2015 and (2) was caught up in and a victim of the obvious dysfunction of the Jags 3-13 season last year.

Moreover, (3) any injury concerns pertaining to House are at best overblown if one carefully reviews his career.

Anything in 1-3 above that anyone thinks is wrong?


I'd take issue with defining him as a "top" starter in any of his seasons. I think OP would, too. House performed strongly in 2014 and 2015, the metrics support that. Saying he is a "top" starter introduces a large element of subjectivity (who is a top starter? what do you need to do to be a top starter?) that inevitably ends in semantic battles.

You're also missing (4) House will reinforce depth at a position of relative weakness and inexperience and (5) House comes into a system in which he has experience and plays for a coach with whom he has a strong relationship.

So you say "real asset" and I see a guy who reinforces depth at a vulnerable spot and offers experience, length and speed on a cheap, team-friendly contract. I would define that as an "asset" and something our secondary sorely needed.

But other than that, yeah, your summative points were on the spot.


Yeah, you're 100% correct that "real asset" is a very subjective term, and I concur that even if his signing is just for depth then he will indeed be an "asset."

However, there is also the fact that the OP previously wrote:

"He already put it together for a full season. ... he played like a Top 20 CB in 2015 (I may be underrating that 2015 season a bit to avoid the genesis of another argument)."

Now, considering most teams rely upon 3 CBs, I'd be happy if House performs like a top 30-35 CB next season, but if he really performed like a top 20 (or better) CB in 2015, then that is what I find most intriguing about him heading into 2017, because I believe the D needs some real impactful talent not just depth.


Ok, like I expected, you're here to argue semantics.

Was he a top-20 caliber corner in 2015? He probably was. I'm not sure how this fits into discussion. Does his impact become less worth the investment if he performs like, as you say, a top-30/35 corners, and instead of definitively playing better than CBs no. 21-35, he only plays as well?

Does House represent an impactful talent? Yes, because "impactful" can mean a variety of things. House will be "impactful" to the extent he reinforces depth, stirs competition, and adds a distinct body-type we're currently lacking.

I just don't see your point, though I don't think you had one other than "House's acquisition is fine, but we need better." You could have said that without the above references, because that's a weird way of affirming what I think is your really straightforward point (and widely shared) point.
_________________
packerjmf wrote:
GWH87 wrote:
Somebody take the off season shovel out of Ted's hands & bury him in his own hole.

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheOnlyThing


Joined: 01 Sep 2015
Posts: 842
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
TheOnlyThing wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
TheOnlyThing wrote:
Signing a player to a bargain contract at an obvious position of need would mean that even if House flames out, this was still a great signing.

However, I am more intrigued by the optimism that he may actually be a real asset to the D.

The consensus seems to be, mostly based on the OPs extensive research analysis, that House was (1) a top 1/2 (or higher) NFL CB starter in 2015 and (2) was caught up in and a victim of the obvious dysfunction of the Jags 3-13 season last year.

Moreover, (3) any injury concerns pertaining to House are at best overblown if one carefully reviews his career.

Anything in 1-3 above that anyone thinks is wrong?


I'd take issue with defining him as a "top" starter in any of his seasons. I think OP would, too. House performed strongly in 2014 and 2015, the metrics support that. Saying he is a "top" starter introduces a large element of subjectivity (who is a top starter? what do you need to do to be a top starter?) that inevitably ends in semantic battles.

You're also missing (4) House will reinforce depth at a position of relative weakness and inexperience and (5) House comes into a system in which he has experience and plays for a coach with whom he has a strong relationship.

So you say "real asset" and I see a guy who reinforces depth at a vulnerable spot and offers experience, length and speed on a cheap, team-friendly contract. I would define that as an "asset" and something our secondary sorely needed.

But other than that, yeah, your summative points were on the spot.


Yeah, you're 100% correct that "real asset" is a very subjective term, and I concur that even if his signing is just for depth then he will indeed be an "asset."

However, there is also the fact that the OP previously wrote:

"He already put it together for a full season. ... he played like a Top 20 CB in 2015 (I may be underrating that 2015 season a bit to avoid the genesis of another argument)."

Now, considering most teams rely upon 3 CBs, I'd be happy if House performs like a top 30-35 CB next season, but if he really performed like a top 20 (or better) CB in 2015, then that is what I find most intriguing about him heading into 2017, because I believe the D needs some real impactful talent not just depth.


Ok, like I expected, you're here to argue semantics.

Was he a top-20 caliber corner in 2015? He probably was. I'm not sure how this fits into discussion. Does his impact become less worth the investment if he performs like, as you say, a top-30/35 corners, and instead of definitively playing better than CBs no. 21-35, he only plays as well?

Does House represent an impactful talent? Yes, because "impactful" can mean a variety of things. House will be "impactful" to the extent he reinforces depth, stirs competition, and adds a distinct body-type we're currently lacking.

I just don't see your point, though I don't think you had one other than "House's acquisition is fine, but we need better." You could have said that without the above references, because that's a weird way of affirming what I think is your really straightforward point (and widely shared) point.


I really don't know why you felt the need to wrongly chime in and insist the OP never declared House to have played like a top 20 CB in response to my post, but I get it that you "[b]take issue with defining [House] as a "top" starter in any of his seasons[/b." In any event, your argument on that point is with the OP not me.

I am not arguing that House was a top 20 CB in 2015, that is the OP's view based upon his extensive analysis. I really don't know one way or the other. I just hope House plays like a top 20 (or even 35) corner for GB in 2017.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cadmus


Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 2351
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, as the OP I'm struggling to figure out what you guys are arguing about. It certainly seems to me that the exchange has devolved into a pissing contest over semantics.

If there's anything I can do to clear something up let me know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cadmus


Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 2351
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One good thing that came from the discussion between Central and TOT is that I looked ahead at the 2017 schedule to see what WRs House would face if he were to become the #1.

Thielen (x2), White/Meredith (x2), M. Jones (x2), Evans, Wallace, Britt, Green, Baldwin, A. Brown, M. Thomas, Julio, K. Benjamin, D. Bryant.

I would say that's a pretty favorable schedule for House in terms of match-ups.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CentralFC


Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 11933
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, we have a brutal slate next season (in general, but also receivers I guess).

- Deep and well coached Minnesota (x2)
- On the upswing with a new coach and new energy, another top pick in Chicago (x2)
- Playoff team returning with a really solid QB, HC-QB stability, and a retooled OL in Detroit (x2)
- On the road v. a legitimate Super Bowl contender [Pittsburgh]
- On the road v. the best OL in the league and the victims of another Rodgers highlight game-winner [Dallas]
- Legitimate Super Bowl contender at home [Seattle]
- Deep, well-coached and perennially tough-to-beat Baltimore at home [Baltimore]
- Very talented, solid defense, and chip on their shoulder at home [Cincinnati]
- Defending NFC Champions on the road [Atlanta]


Things definitely change so any of these concerns are subject to change once August kicks off. But holy smokes. Newton, Stafford (2x), Ben, Brees, Flacco, Prescott/Zeke, Wilson, Bengals, and Matt Ryan/Falcons is a really tough slate.
_________________
packerjmf wrote:
GWH87 wrote:
Somebody take the off season shovel out of Ted's hands & bury him in his own hole.

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
squire12


Joined: 15 Mar 2013
Posts: 6579
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
Damn, we have a brutal slate next season (in general, but also receivers I guess).

- - On the upswing with a new coach and new energy, another top pick in Chicago (x2)
[Atlanta]


Things definitely change so any of these concerns are subject to change once August kicks off. But holy smokes. Newton, Stafford (2x), Ben, Brees, Flacco, Prescott/Zeke, Wilson, Bengals, and Matt Ryan/Falcons is a really tough slate.


I do not see Chicago on the upswing. Mike Glennon is their likely starting 2017 QB, no Alshon Jeffery. Yes top 3 pick, so maybe a rookie QB to compete with Glennon.

Fox is a run first and tough defense coach. Nothing that they have on offense really should scare GB.

Having just finished the Total Control GM Mock FA/Draft as the GM of the Bears, that team is really void of talent. They have not added that much in FA thus far.
_________________
Salary Cap Fantasy Football League
2016 Salary Cap League Rosters
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cadmus


Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 2351
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone ever share this interview when House signed last week?

http://media.billmichaelssports.com/a/118725977/house-want-to-help-packers-secondary-best-that-i-can.htm?q=davon+house

House didn't just agree to terms with Green Bay at the Steelers facility he also gave a phone interview to a Milwaukee radio station while he was there.

You can hear Mike Tomlin in the background. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vegas492


Joined: 30 Oct 2012
Posts: 1510
Location: Pewaukee, Wisconsin
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:
Did anyone ever share this interview when House signed last week?

http://media.billmichaelssports.com/a/118725977/house-want-to-help-packers-secondary-best-that-i-can.htm?q=davon+house

House didn't just agree to terms with Green Bay at the Steelers facility he also gave a phone interview to a Milwaukee radio station while he was there.

You can hear Mike Tomlin in the background. Laughing

...and he just became my favorite Packer.....
_________________
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cadmus


Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 2351
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought any new Davon House highlights would primarily consist of plays from his tenure with the Jaguars, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover they are all from his time with the Packers. Very Happy

https://youtu.be/2wlnN6r73MY

Fun watch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
incognito_man


Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 40976
Location: Madison
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:
I thought any new Davon House highlights would primarily consist of plays from his tenure with the Jaguars, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover they are all from his time with the Packers. Very Happy

https://youtu.be/2wlnN6r73MY

Fun watch.


too bad he doesn't have charles woodsons' hands Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wgbeethree


Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Posts: 3945
Location: Denver, CO via Racine, Wisconsin
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

House could probably have his own ESPN Top Ten when he retires of highlights..... for the touchdowns he's given up. Seriously, he's been on the wrong end of some spectacular plays.

For example.....

https://youtu.be/ttDn8K7QzaU
_________________

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NormSizedMidget


Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 17912
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgbeethree wrote:
House could probably have his own ESPN Top Ten when he retires of highlights..... for the touchdowns he's given up. Seriously, he's been on the wrong end of some spectacular plays.

For example.....

https://youtu.be/ttDn8K7QzaU


That wasn't even bad.

Also week one. When Adams was the worst wide receiver alive. Irony.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
DavidatMIZZOU


Joined: 09 Apr 2009
Posts: 16101
Location: The ZOU
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:
Did anyone ever share this interview when House signed last week?

http://media.billmichaelssports.com/a/118725977/house-want-to-help-packers-secondary-best-that-i-can.htm?q=davon+house

House didn't just agree to terms with Green Bay at the Steelers facility he also gave a phone interview to a Milwaukee radio station while he was there.

You can hear Mike Tomlin in the background. Laughing


I listened to the whole thing... the site it took me to had no Davon House interview, but the callers... I now have cancer.
_________________
GO PACK GO!

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cadmus


Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 2351
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Cadmus wrote:
Did anyone ever share this interview when House signed last week?

http://media.billmichaelssports.com/a/118725977/house-want-to-help-packers-secondary-best-that-i-can.htm?q=davon+house

House didn't just agree to terms with Green Bay at the Steelers facility he also gave a phone interview to a Milwaukee radio station while he was there.

You can hear Mike Tomlin in the background. Laughing


I listened to the whole thing... the site it took me to had no Davon House interview, but the callers... I now have cancer.


Really?

I just checked, and the link still takes me directly to a Davon House interview that's 11:40 long.

Does the link work for everyone else?

Either way, sorry about that Dave.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group