Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Davon House: Our Newest Addition at CB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pugger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobSacamano wrote:
One concern i had reading through that was seeing him get hurt.

IIRC, House wasn't able to stay consistently healthy in GB.

Why should he be different than anybody else on this roster? Wink jk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Davon House Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Cadmus wrote:
Before we get started, I know that many uninformed Packer fans are thirsty for knowledge on our newest addition at CB.

You could have just said, "Hey Dave!" I read almost everything.

Nice. You are the only comment so far.

Thumbs up or Thumbs down?

Good work. It has me more optimistic about House, though I was already pretty optimistic about him anyway. He was good when last a Packer. Much like Hayward, and Tretter, I think it was the proper move to let a good player walk at the time we did.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

Shanedorf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:

If Randall rebounds on the boundary and Rollins plays up to his potential in the slot we should be able to field a greatly improved secondary in 2017.

1st off, kudos for putting in the time and delivering to us a fantastic and detailed review
Really appreciate your effort to shine some light on House's performance and skill set.

In 2016, the Packers CBs struggled with the loss of Shields and injuries to Randall and Rollins. Gunter got dinged too.
One of the posters here put together a cool schematic showing:

Arrow CB issues led to the Safeties having to babysit
Arrow Safeties babysitting led to more coverage from ILBs
Arrow More coverage from ILBs meant bigger run stop role for DL

I know I'm not getting it right... but whoever posted that it was very well done. Tried to find it, but no luck.

My point is that with the addition of House, maybe the CBs don't need as much babysitting from Safeties, which allows Capers to run his defense instead of being hamstrung by the deficiencies on the boundary.

In the run up to the 2010 Title, one of the reasons cited for the stellar defensive play was being able to trust Shields and Tramon outside with little help. It would be great to see that again.

I'm encouraged to read the Davon review, thx for the effort Cadmus
And putting House back in the room with Whitt bodes well for 2017
gopackgo247

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up Cadmus.

We got dealt a bad hand with Shields going down.

Randall and Rollins were not ready to step up as much as they had to and Gunter was not even expected to play.

I fully expect Randall and Rollins to play better this season (cant get much worse) with the addition of House to solidify that #1 spot. Barring injury our defense will benefit overall by even league average CB play.
smetana34

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopackgo247 wrote:
Thumbs up Cadmus.

We got dealt a bad hand with Shields going down.

Randall and Rollins were not ready to step up as much as they had to and Gunter was not even expected to play.

I fully expect Randall and Rollins to play better this season (cant get much worse) with the addition of House to solidify that #1 spot. Barring injury our defense will benefit overall by even league average CB play.

I think that's what the casual fans fail to realize. It can't be worse and it won't be the leak it was last year.

Cadmus, great job friend. I can see why you were the conductor Wink

Uncle Buck: "I'm expecting Kate Beckinsale to dump her husband and run away with me."
incognito_man wrote:

you probably have better odds of running off with Tebow.
packfanfb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
Cadmus wrote:

If Randall rebounds on the boundary and Rollins plays up to his potential in the slot we should be able to field a greatly improved secondary in 2017.

1st off, kudos for putting in the time and delivering to us a fantastic and detailed review
Really appreciate your effort to shine some light on House's performance and skill set.

In 2016, the Packers CBs struggled with the loss of Shields and injuries to Randall and Rollins. Gunter got dinged too.

I know I'm not getting it right... but whoever posted that it was very well done. Tried to find it, but no luck.

My point is that with the addition of House, maybe the CBs don't need as much babysitting from Safeties, which allows Capers to run his defense instead of being hamstrung by the deficiencies on the boundary.

In the run up to the 2010 Title, one of the reasons cited for the stellar defensive play was being able to trust Shields and Tramon outside with little help. It would be great to see that again.

Exactly, in 2010, we had 3 VERY solid CBs, Tramon was a Pro Bowler (or should have been), Woodson was Woodson and Shields was great in coverage.

The addition of House should obviously help, but at the end of the day, unless we draft a guy No. 1 or 2 and he plays right away (or we still sign another CB which is not likely), it is still going to come down to who Damarious Randall really is. I think Rollins and Gunter are going to top out about where they were last year simply due to the fact that they aren't great athletes. Rollins kind of reminds me of Hyde, who maybe can thrive in the slot where speed is less of an issue. But, our success on defense will likely ride a lot on how Randall responds. We simply don't know yet if he's going to be the next Sam Shields/Tramon Williams or the next Ahmad Carroll, or just in between. He has shown the ability to make splash plays (athletic INTs, etc.) but I'd be satisfied with him just being able to cover a guy one-on-one on a consistent basis. He hasn't shown that yet, in years 1 or 2.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Rollins could improve. He played exceptionally well as a rookie in 2015. Gunter, on the other hand, has topped out.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from Packers Dec. 2014 game vs Atl

"House replaced ineffective Sam Shields (45) early in the fourth quarter. He was the only cornerback who got up and challenged Julio Jones on his career day. House broke up two long fades to the dominating big man with tight coverage. He also made a strong face-up tackle to halt the conversion run."
CentralFC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuity will be key. I just want the same group of five/six dominating snaps for a good stretch of the year. Give me Burnett-HHCD-Pick-Gunter-Randall [slot] with House/Rollins playing key snaps as well. I don't see things shaking out any differently. Randall will probably see time in the slot, a day 1 or early day 2 pick will see significant boundary time, and House/Gunter will be the other key, physical CBs. The thing that killed us wasn't lack of talent, it was just the accumulation of injuries preventing them from developing any sort of chemistry.

I'm confident we're much better in that area next year.
Cadmus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobSacamano wrote:

I guess I don't see where you are coming from? He suffered two injuries all season that forced him to miss minimal play time, I'd say that's fairly normal for an NFL player. I mean, House played in all 16 games last season.

He got hurt in Week 2 and sat out of the 2nd half, but then returned to play a full game in Week 3.

Then in Week 5 he received a hip contusion when jumbo WR Vincent Jackson landed on top of him in the 3rd Quarter. That carried over to Week 6, which he played the first 45 minutes of until he re-aggravated the injury near the end of the 3rd Quarter. His mistake was trying to play through an injury that made him an easy target for the opposing team.
Cadmus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
Cadmus wrote:

Agreed.

I didn't post the breakdown you are looking for, but I definitely posted similar thoughts about how the play of our CBs hamstrung our defense. Capers was put in a really tough situation last season.
Cadmus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I'm glad most of you seemed to enjoy the read.

That's why I like posting here, among the (sensible) Packers fans (as persian said yesterday). Laughing
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus, this is really good work.

I'll look past the unusual amount of time you spend talking and thinking about Davon House. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cad, great work.

Sometimes you come across the rare post that has tons of data to back up their point. This is one of those.

Didn't watch House after he left GB much, so it was nice to see how he played in Jax.

pf9 wrote:
This should definitely be McCarthy's swan song. If we're lucky Bret Bielema will come back to this state and coach the Pack next year.
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobSacamano wrote:

I posted this yesterday

Davon House injury history:

2011: 3 times on the IR (injury report) Inactive a bunch, I don't know what for and if it was the injuries.
2012: 11 weeks on IR.

Now let's look at the last 4 years

2013: ZERO times on the IR.
2014: 5 times on IR, Missed 3 games.
2015: Probable 3 times. Never missed a game.
2016: ZERO times on the IR.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: