Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Draft: Everything Else Comes Secondary
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaBoys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Mock Draft: Everything Else Comes Secondary Reply with quote

The Skinny:

With the re-signing of Darren McFadden our offense is now set in stone for 2017. We are returning all 5 WRs, all 3 RBs, Witten will start at TE, Dak at QB. The OL is a little shaken, but technically Leary wasn't the starter last year, it was Collins. Doug Free is gone, but we were able to get by in 2016 without Tyron Smith for a few games. We replaced him with the guys currently on the roster(Green, and Cleary) and we were able to win those games. Hopefully if we can get by without the vastly more important and talented Tyron Smith by using these guys, we can more than make up for Doug Free.

Offensive draft attention = mid to late round developmental OT and Mid to late round developmental TE.

Defense is a whole different animal, but it isn't as bad as we may think.

Reason why DE isn't a top draft priority:

DeMarcus Lawrence isn't suspended this year, and we have him penciled in as the day 1 starter at RDE. In rotation, we have last years FA pickup and sack leader Benson Mayowa. He had 6 sacks last year and the staff expects him to get better.

The signing of Stephen Paea(who had 6 sacks in Marinelli's scheme last time) plus the return of Collins, and Thornton, will allow Davis Irving and Tyrone Crawford to focus on the strong side DE.

If you want a young developmental DE prospect, look at Charles Tapper who blew up the combine last year(look at his numbers compared to some of these 1st round DEs), and missed the year to injury. The staff hopes he will add some juice to the rotation.

We do have some potential on the edge with our current roster.

DE draft priority = mid rounds 3-6

DT is set in stone. We have enough DTs to start on two defenses. Not drafting a DT

LB - we have 1 all pro returning and a top 5 prospect hopefully returning. We never use the SAM backer but we have Wilson, and Hitchens. We should be good here but Smith is cause for concern. LB = mid to late round priority.

CB - We have no CBs. We lost Carr to BAL, and Mo to NYJ. I mean, we have Brown and Scandy, but what happens when teams go 3 wide? Which they do like 65% of the time.

CB draft priority = High priority

SS - We have no SS. We drafted Kavon Frazior but he is super young and a complete unknown at this level. Jeff Heath apparently has some ball skills, but starting him in 2017 gives me chills.

SS draft priority = High priority

My draft strategy is to get some developmental prospects in the later rounds at DE, TE, LB, and OL. And really focus hard on bringing in bodies at CB and S. Everything else comes secondary.

I'll use the Fanspeak simulator, with the CBS big board.

1st round went like this:

1: R1P1
EDGE MYLES GARRETT
CLEVELAND BROWNS

2: R1P2
QB MITCH TRUBISKY
SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

3: R1P3
QB DESHAUN WATSON
CHICAGO BEARS

4: R1P4
EDGE SOLOMON THOMAS
JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

5: R1P5
DL JONATHAN ALLEN
TENNESSEE TITANS

6: R1P6
S MALIK HOOKER
NEW YORK JETS

7: R1P7
LB REUBEN FOSTER
SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

8: R1P8
RB DALVIN COOK
CAROLINA PANTHERS

9: R1P9
WR COREY DAVIS
CINCINNATI BENGALS

10: R1P10
WR JOHN ROSS
BUFFALO BILLS

11: R1P11
S JAMAL ADAMS
NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

12: R1P12
QB PATRICK MAHOMES II
CLEVELAND BROWNS

13: R1P13
TE O.J. HOWARD
ARIZONA CARDINALS

14: R1P14
WR MIKE WILLIAMS
PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

15: R1P15
RB CHRISTIAN MCCAFFREY
INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

16: R1P16
DL MALIK MCDOWELL
BALTIMORE RAVENS

17: R1P17
S JABRILL PEPPERS
WASHINGTON REDSKINS

18: R1P18
CB MARSHON LATTIMORE
TENNESSEE TITANS

19: R1P19
OT CAM ROBINSON
TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

20: R1P20
OT RYAN RAMCZYK
DENVER BRONCOS

21: R1P21
LB ZACH CUNNINGHAM
DETROIT LIONS

22: R1P22
EDGE TACO CHARLTON
MIAMI DOLPHINS

23: R1P23
RB LEONARD FOURNETTE
NEW YORK GIANTS

24: R1P24
EDGE DEREK BARNETT
OAKLAND RAIDERS

25: R1P25
G FORREST LAMP
HOUSTON TEXANS

26: R1P26
TE DAVID NJOKU
SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

27: R1P27
CB MARLON HUMPHREY
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

So, lot's of good players left.

R1P28
CB FABIAN MOREAU
DALLAS COWBOYS

6'0" 206 lbs.

4.35 forty
38 inch vert

Quote:
STRENGTHS Former running back with a thick frame and great speed. Showed off his ability to jam and reroute receivers at Shrine Game practices. Patient from press. Fluid athlete with good lateral quickness and agility to press and match against plus athletes. Maintains good feel for the route as it progresses. Early accelerator with recovery quickness and "makeup" long speed. Good physicality inside the route. Shows enough reactive twitch to challenge slants. Uses size and speed to crowd vertical routes and fight off receivers' attempts to stack him on their hips. Showed noticeable improvement in confidence and coverage skills from 2014. Has upper body strength to stack and shuck most receivers. Break-down, wrap-up tackler with the build to challenge NFL runners with size.

R2P28
S JOSH JONES
DALLAS COWBOYS

6'1" 220 lbs.

4.41 forty
20 bench reps
37.5 inch vert
11'0" broad

Quote:
STRENGTHS Possesses prototypical combination of size and speed. Has acceleration and top-end speed to range all over the field. Plus athletic ability and reactive quickness. Has ability to disguise his coverage before sprinting back to centerfield. Has experience with both safety spots. Fluid in his movement and is an explosive leaper when challenging at the high-point. Has the ball skills to rake it or take it. Plays with eager eyes that stay glued to quarterback's intentions. Has the closing burst to challenge throws. Extremely aggressive. Bouncy feet can't wait to fire downhill and hit something. Accelerates through the collision. Does a good job of punching and playing off of blockers.

R3P28
EDGE DEMARCUS WALKER
DALLAS COWBOYS

6'4" 280 lbs.

18 bench reps

Quote:
STRENGTHS Ties quick swim move to his jump-step in order to climb over top of pass protection. Posted eye-popping sack production (25) over last two seasons at FSU. Attempts to play past the blocker rather than giving in. Always searching for new opening when original rush move is stymied. When rush stalls, he spies quarterback and gets hand in alleys. Eight career passes defensed. Gathers blockers to set up teammates when first on twists. Active, heavy tackler. Stack-and-shed power on the edge when pad level is right. Thick bubble and thighs with ability to carry more mass. Able to stuff cut blocks and keep his feet clean. Hasty with hands and lands first. Engages and mirrors flow of running back with square pads. Durable and dependable; played in 90 percent of the defensive snaps 2016.

4: R4P26
EDGE DAWUANE SMOOT
ILLINOIS

6'3" 264 lbs.

4.77 forty

Quote:
STRENGTHS Well-conditioned with willing motor to pursue across the field. Strong closing burst closes out quarterbacks in the pocket and running backs down the line of scrimmage. Acclaimed high school hurdler with plus agility, loose hips and nimble feet. Works to stay ahead of reach blocks and contain the edge. Able to knife through gaps and create disruption in backfield. Uses dip and rip when he senses he can turn the corner. Speed-to-power ability when given a runway. Good lateral quickness and would benefit from twisting scheme that allows him to operate in space. Able to redirect suddenly. Can play with hand in the ground or standing. Takes swipes at the ball; forced four fumbles over last two seasons at Illinois. Played for defensive guru Lovie Smith in 2016.

5: R6P27
OT JUSTIN SENIOR
MISSISSIPPI STATE

6'5" 331 LBS.

Quote:
STRENGTHS Senior has been a staple for the Bulldogs over the past three seasons, starting nearly every game at the right tackle spot (missed one game in 39 with a 2015 knee injury). Even as a redshirt freshman, Senior got on the field for 11 games, starting one at his strong-side tackle position. Gains adequate ground in his slides. Keeps chin tucked and helmet out of his pass sets. Hitch-free punch is generally well-timed. Inside hand is stiff. Throws strikes with strong hands that glue to the frame. Adequate mirror after engagement. Able to reset hands and keep defenders at the end of his long arms. Body control is adequate. Smart angles to his blocks and can have an impact on second level. Works feet into lateral position before engaging. Drive power comes from inner foot. Intelligent with good field awareness.

(Also Was Dak's starting RT in College, so there's that. )

6: R7P10
CB JEREMY CLARK
MICHIGAN

6'3" 220 LBS.

20 Bench Reps

Quote:
STRENGTHS Exciting size and length outside. Is an imposing figure in press coverage. Maximizes arm length when attacking passing lanes. Ball skills are solid. Athletic enough to play in multiple coverages. Displays necessary timing for high-point disruption even in a retreat. Able to maintain his feel for route down the field. Has a make-up gear when beaten and can close out separation distance. Looks to run through the receiver and deliver some thump after the catch. Heads up tackler looks to attack the legs and wrap-up. Has potential to challenge for a role as gunner or jammer on special teams.

7: R7P28
TE BLAKE JARWIN
OKLAHOMA STATE

6'5" 248 Lbs.

Quote:
STRENGTHS Used everywhere -- in-line, as a wing, from the slot, and split wide. Smooth acceleration into routes. Operated underneath for Oklahoma State, but has the athleticism to threaten downfield. Crisp in his route work. Snaps routes off quickly and works back to the throw. Tough over the middle and fights for contested catches. Good flexibility to twist and adjust to throws. Excellent leaper who can go get it. Focus drops from 2015 became catches in 2016. Immediate north-south runner after the catch. Can drag tackles for extra yardage. Instinctive lead blocker who makes good reads. Can adjust to moving targets on second level.

Adopt a Cowboy: X Dez Bryant X ~ 50 Rec ~ 796 Yds ~ 8 TDs ~ 15.9 YPC ~ 1 Passing TD ~ 4 games missed
atran35

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"CB - We have no CBs. We lost Carr to BAL, and Mo to NYJ. I mean, we have Brown and Scandy, but what happens when teams go 3 wide? Which they do like 65% of the time."

Nolan Carroll?
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Da Boys been sippin the koolaid.

The offense is unchanged, which means unless Dak and Zeke are better than they were last year, the offense will take a step back. This league is vicious. If you aren't getting better you are getting worse.

The defense is still a mess, and now its a mess without corners or a pass rush. We can probably fix the corner issue through the draft. But where we are drafting it's unlikely that a top pass rusher will be available.

So we'll need some Marinelli magic to make this defense respectable. Hopefully, Dak can take a big step forward. Hopefully, we can be the smash mouth team we were for most of the season and not try to be the cute team that showed up in the playoffs.

Can't wait!

Last edited by TD-ES-JJ on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Calvert28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would trade up one spot in a heartbeat for Humphrey!
Moz, bad teams pick in the top 5.That's the way the draft works.
DaBoys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atran35 wrote:
"CB - We have no CBs. We lost Carr to BAL, and Mo to NYJ. I mean, we have Brown and Scandy, but what happens when teams go 3 wide? Which they do like 65% of the time."

Nolan Carroll?

Okay, what about 4 wide? lol

Adopt a Cowboy: X Dez Bryant X ~ 50 Rec ~ 796 Yds ~ 8 TDs ~ 15.9 YPC ~ 1 Passing TD ~ 4 games missed
DaBoys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvert28 wrote:
I would trade up one spot in a heartbeat for Humphrey!

No trades. I personally hope we trade back.

atran35

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With our HISTORY of taking injured players...I'm calling it NOW...2nd round pick would be Sidney Jones. Who will not contribute this year and may or may not contribute next year...UGH.
resilient

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st, great effort Daboys, can't argue that.

2nd, All your picks are good, can't really complain, especially after our current loses at CB/DB.

But D Lawrence at best is OK, and we really have NO idea. But getting 2 very good DE prospect does make me feel better about going CB,DB early.

But what worries me is that Dallas would try something like this and then lose out on Walker and then Smoot by a pick or 2, only to leave us reaching for someone not as good.

But will applaud your effort and keep my fingers crossed.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the possibility of Dallas drafting a pair of DEs. For me one is enough and I think the most likely scenario.

Five DEs on the roster are 25 and under, with Crawford sitting at a prime 27. I believe you have to trust in their progression/development moving forward.

They got some experience last year. They need to play. I like the idea of competition, but only to a point. I get Crawford/DLaw have disappointed to some extent and obviously RG has his own set of disappointments.

I think CB/S almost have to account for 2 of first 4 picks. There just isn't enough on the roster. Scan/Carroll are both over 30, with Carroll being one what amounts to a one yr deal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every one is screaming defense, and i agree, but we have to also take into account we *ARE* getting a second and 4th round draft pick (from last year) added already to the front 7. I think, pending on how the draft falls, a RT, S and CB will be our first 4 picks. LB is also in play.

Tony Romos Last pass was a TD against the EAGLES!
resilient

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about drafting potential IMPACT players, like Davis, Howard?

Someone like that may very well slip and I don't want to draft a Need over BPA, who we can use to raise the overall team play.
jefftones1910

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do we have enough DT's for 2 rosters? Do people not remember the last few games of 2016 where Collins was the ONLY DT we had?

Irving and Crawford are ends that they move inside out of necessity to the detriment of the overall defensive line
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still fail to understand how drafting a bunch of DBs (which are needs) will accomplish much of anything considering we have no pass rush. Z-E-R-O.

And don't fill me with the "25 years old and younger" crap. The DEs we have were invisible last year. So it isn't about age; it's about a lack of talent. We need better talent at the d-line, and no DB will make that happen.

As I've said for years, our starting DBs could be Deion Sanders & Rod Woodson at CB and Ronnie Lott & Ed Reed at Safety, and they'd still look like trash with our d-line.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
I still fail to understand how drafting a bunch of DBs (which are needs) will accomplish much of anything considering we have no pass rush. Z-E-R-O.

And don't fill me with the "25 years old and younger" crap. The DEs we have were invisible last year. So it isn't about age; it's about a lack of talent. We need better talent at the d-line, and no DB will make that happen.

As I've said for years, our starting DBs could be Deion Sanders & Rod Woodson at CB and Ronnie Lott & Ed Reed at Safety, and they'd still look like trash with our d-line.

Their 16-17 sacks over the last 5-6 games says different to me. Dallas spent the time developing these guys, now hopefully they're seeing it come to fruition. I'd still like to see another DE added via the draft. But, I think I've seen enough at the end of season to believe they aren't void of talent. At least not to the point I feel the need to use multiple picks or sign multiple FA.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:

In this draft. I wouldn't be opposed to taking 2 DL and 2 DB's. Infact I wouldn't mind if over half our draft consisted of it considering how deep it is. We could be drafting almost all starters with our picks. We are extremely fortunate to be where we are right now.

Daboys doesn't want to trade up for Humphrey for even one spot. I would do it in a heartbeat. Dude has athletic ability that goes for miles. Then with undoubtably Sidney or Tabor dropping due to bad showing or injury we can draft them as well and for sure solidify our secondary. 3 starter worthy corners with Brown, Humphrey and Sid or Tabor. Among others who could fall like one of my favorites, Kevin King.

Then to add to DL.

Adams from Auburn could be looking at a late day 2 grade. Combine his interior pro bowl potential with Irving and we have the making of that Doomsday defense again so long as he stays healthy. Demarcus Walker in many drafts is 2nd to 3rd round, I don't care what anyone says I want him. Smoot will drop, and who knows we could still be in a position to get Derek Barnett at 28 for all we know if we don't trade down. Combine him with Walker, and or Smoot, or Basham, or Hendrickson.

OMG IT IS GIVING ME GOOSEBUMPS I WANT TO TRADE DOWN FOR A CRAP TON OF DAY 2 PICKS!!!!!!
Moz, bad teams pick in the top 5.That's the way the draft works.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: