Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders sign EJ Manuel
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DC4_Life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Raiders sign EJ Manuel Reply with quote

I like the move... Didn't live up to the first round hype, but is a good locker room guy. Has starting experience which is a benefit for a backup QB. Worked with our OC, competition for Connor Cook so he isn't just handed the backup role.
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

massive upgrade to mcgloin

i hope they dont carry 3 qb's though. either cook is ready or he isn't
dmac505

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very weird signing.
I know very unlikely, but with the lack of love for this years QB class do you think it's possible teams have asked about Cook?
People were surprised he lasted to the 4th last year, maybe teams have him graded higher then some of the main abs?
Gaetano

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:

I dont think its an upgrade from McGloin at all, much less a massive one. McGloin is going to go out and get high end backup money. EJ Manuel is going to try and justify a roster spot behind the guy who was behind McGloin last year. I'd give EJ the same chance of cracking the roster as Cody Fajardo, wherever he is these days
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

admittedly trolling a bit... as i'm apparently one of the few raider fans on this forum who doesn't think mcgloin is any good. called him an average-ish backup with subpar tools.

most here disagree with me. so that line was a bit of a jab. i do think manuel is better than mcgloin, though. similar accuracy, better arm, and an athlete that can make plays instead of just turtling up when the line fails him.

i do think mcgloin has better anticipation. ultimately i hope cook wins the backup job though
Chris Lance

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preseason arm and maybe third string if they keep three QBs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel vs Cook in pre season will be a nice competition.

Two things I don't agree with in this topic.

1) Someone said don't carry three QBs. Terrible idea. Look what happened last year, we don't even have a QB to finish the Denver game. Plus you never know how a 2nd QB is going to perform. It's best to have two backup options to choose from.

2) McGloin gets top backup money somewhere? McGloin was an average backup.. I don't think he's better than Manuel and Cook will definitely be better given time. The overrating of Matt McGloin in this forum has been comical.
Gaetano

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:

1) Someone said don't carry three QBs. Terrible idea. Look what happened last year, we don't even have a QB to finish the Denver game. Plus you never know how a 2nd QB is going to perform. It's best to have two backup options to choose from.

2) McGloin gets top backup money somewhere? McGloin was an average backup.. I don't think he's better than Manuel and Cook will definitely be better given time. The overrating of Matt McGloin in this forum has been comical.

High end does not = top. Usually means in the top 3rd, so do I think he'll land enough money to be in the top 10 of backup QBs? Absolutely. I dont think he's anything more than a quality backup, and clearly EJ Manuel isn't even that or Buffalo would have put up even the smallest fight to retain him behind carbon copy Tyrod Taylor (but Taylor's actually accurate)

Pretty much every site I've seen has McGloin as a quality backup so maybe its not this forum's opinion that McGloin is a quality backup that's the problem..
BayRaider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaetano wrote:
BayRaider wrote:

High end does not = top. Usually means in the top 3rd, so do I think he'll land enough money to be in the top 10 of backup QBs? Absolutely. I dont think he's anything more than a quality backup, and clearly EJ Manuel isn't even that or Buffalo would have put up even the smallest fight to retain him behind carbon copy Tyrod Taylor (but Taylor's actually accurate)

Pretty much every site I've seen has McGloin as a quality backup so maybe its not this forum's opinion that McGloin is a quality backup that's the problem..

Well it's kind of automatic to get Top 10 backup money when two thirds of backups are on rookie contracts. Plus I like how people are assuming McGloin is automatically going to get second string somewhere. He's going to have to earn that in TC/PS somewhere against another QB. This forum has overrated McGloin for a long time, we still had people saying he could start for multiple teams not long ago.
DC4_Life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:

+1
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I predict Manuel will outplay Cook in the Preseason.

Let's see how strong this limb is...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
I predict Manuel will outplay Cook in the Preseason.

Let's see how strong this limb is...

This signing is good for Connor.. it's up to him to progress and step up.. EJ Manuel is a professional... I knew we would sign a vet to compete for number 2 spot.. I thought it was going be Mark Sanchez due to USC ties, so be happy lol.. say thank you Reggie
raaka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaetano wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:

I dont think its an upgrade from McGloin at all, much less a massive one. McGloin is going to go out and get high end backup money. EJ Manuel is going to try and justify a roster spot behind the guy who was behind McGloin last year. I'd give EJ the same chance of cracking the roster as Cody Fajardo, wherever he is these days

who's paying for mcgloin after that disaster in denver? he had almost 3 yrs of doing jack [inappropriate/removed] behind our lord and savoir carr and when he finally gets his shot, looks worse than cook who never took an nfl snap before coming in to relieve him. maybe all that time off made him rusty. he might be signed as a camp arm somewhere, but his shot of being a top #2/fringe starter is gone imo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggie's following New England blueprint
Develop a QB and trade him for a high draft pick.
It's nothing more than that.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:

Blasphemy. McGloin could start for a lot of teams I've continued to hear. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: