Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Can Darrelle Revis help?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
Okay. So if we pay him 7 million then what? Jets pay 6 million and we pay one?

I think it works this way.

Jets pay Revis 6MM.
Revis signs for 7MM hypothetically with GB.
GB reimburses Jets 6MM towards the cap and Revis gets his 7MM.

So Revis pockets 7MM.
Packers take 7MM against cap.
Jets save 6MM against previous cap charge.

Any contract negotiation with Revis by the Packers has nothing to do with any money the Jets owe Revis. The Packers have no obligations to the Jets but Revis might possibly sign with a team for less because the Jets still owe him money.

I could be wrong. Its easier math if he makes 6MM or less lol
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
blankman0021 wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:

Jets pay Revis 6MM.

So Revis pockets 7MM.

Okay so all the people on Reddit telling me we can pay him 9 million and only "pay" him 3 are wrong like I thought. We'd lose 9 mil in cap space.

Correct, it's offset language, so any team that pays him over 6m, the Jets get his number off their cap books. However, if it's under 6m, the Jets owe him that 6m, so if you sign him for the vet min, Revis still pockets 6m from the Jets and the vet min from his team.

That's why he'll play for the vet min this year, no one will offer more than that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
blankman0021 wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:

Jets pay Revis 6MM.

So Revis pockets 7MM.

Okay so all the people on Reddit telling me we can pay him 9 million and only "pay" him 3 are wrong like I thought. We'd lose 9 mil in cap space.

Correct, it's offset language, so any team that pays him over 6m, the Jets get his number off their cap books. However, if it's under 6m, the Jets owe him that 6m, so if you sign him for the vet min, Revis still pockets 6m from the Jets and the vet min from his team.

That's why he'll play for the vet min this year, no one will offer more than that.

Are you sure that Revis pockets 6m from the jets PLUS the vet min from a team? I'm pretty sure it's 6m total, and the vet min reimburses the Jets bank. Bank, not cap, I'm pretty sure.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
theelcapitans

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
blankman0021 wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:

Jets pay Revis 6MM.

So Revis pockets 7MM.

Are you sure that Revis pockets 6m from the jets PLUS the vet min from a team? I'm pretty sure it's 6m total, and the vet min reimburses the Jets bank. Bank, not cap, I'm pretty sure.

I'm pretty sure you're right. If no one is willing to pay him more than $6M he earns just as much playing as he does sitting on his couch. If someone signs him for 2m, he'll get 4 from the Jets and 2 from the new team.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
blankman0021 wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:

Jets pay Revis 6MM.

So Revis pockets 7MM.

Could be, either way no one is paying him anywhere close to 6m, the Jets will be on the hook for most of his deal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revis absolutely can help. He's a savvy veteran that could teach our young CB's a lot about how to go about your business off-the-field. The interesting thing is, and sorry if this was mentioned, but Revis has a clause in his past contract with the Jets where he will make $6M regardless in offsets. So what that means is if Revis can't garner more than $6M, he'll just play for the veteran minimum. It's hard to imagine that he can't at least help our team down the depth chart. I still believe he can be a #1 CB, he just be put on an island non-stop like he has in the past. The problem with this idea is that Revis is more likely to return to the Patriots than come to Green Bay for the minimum, and I don't think we'd really want to pay him $7M-$8M/year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Patriots are happy to have Revis back then we got to give serious consideration for throwing our hat into the ring.

We know when fit and in shape he is a damn good player. Guys like him being available doesn't happen often. Not only that he doesnt have a injury history like Jamaal Charles or Adrian Peterson.

Street FA, elite talent, lots of experience, cheap, depth signing etc.. it makes too much sense.

Woodson was 29 when we signed him and he came with injury question marks & attitude concerns and yet he went on to play at a high elite level for several more years. Revis is only 31, if he can sort out his conditioning and re-motivates himself he too has a shot at playing at an elite level for a few more years at least.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: