Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets sign CB Morris Claiborne
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

///mcompact wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:

Appreciate the feedback. IIRC Bryon Jones at times plays at CB as well. I wasn't sure if there was a plan to move him to CB full-time and then have another pair of starting safeties because you had more depth there or something. Or if you would take a corner early. Sounds like the latter...

Byron Jones is an interesting case. We used him as mostly a corner in 2015 and he was "okay". He's freakishly athletic, but I didn't like him at CB. At FS, he's pretty good and rangy, but he just doesn't have the ball skills to make bad QB's pay. I really hope we don't throw him back at corner. This could be another situation like Tyrone Crawford where he gets ruined by switching back and forth between positions every year due to necessity.

Wasn't Jones really good in the slot and when manning up on TEs? Could just keep him playing that role. It's pretty valuable in today's NFL.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
///mcompact wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:

Appreciate the feedback. IIRC Bryon Jones at times plays at CB as well. I wasn't sure if there was a plan to move him to CB full-time and then have another pair of starting safeties because you had more depth there or something. Or if you would take a corner early. Sounds like the latter...

Byron Jones is an interesting case. We used him as mostly a corner in 2015 and he was "okay". He's freakishly athletic, but I didn't like him at CB. At FS, he's pretty good and rangy, but he just doesn't have the ball skills to make bad QB's pay. I really hope we don't throw him back at corner. This could be another situation like Tyrone Crawford where he gets ruined by switching back and forth between positions every year due to necessity.

Wasn't Jones really good in the slot and when manning up on TEs? Could just keep him playing that role. It's pretty valuable in today's NFL.

I actually had that in my original response, but deleted it due to not wanting to make this thread about Byron. B.Jones is incredibly gifted at shutting down TEs inside of the numbers and in the redzone . In his rookie year he had one helluva performance against Gronk except for one big play along the sidelines. He's also deadly around the LOS and, even though his tackling technique isn't pretty, once he gets his tentacles on you, you're not breaking free.

The downside is that playing him in the slot against a true slot WR like Cobb, Edelman, Baldwin, Landry, etc. exposes some of his weaknesses. Jones doesn't seem to be able to react fast enough (mentally...and is only hampered further by his build) against the small, shifty WRs. That's not really a knock on him as he is a 6'1, long-legged CB that is built for big-stride movements, but CBs like him get exposed against the under 6-foot, squirrely slot receivers. But to sum him up: He's an enigma at what position he really fits at. He's great at covering TE's that most SS can't keep up with and most FS can't physically match up with....but he can't maneuver/shed blocks in the box like a SS nor make plays consistently downfield like the top FS.
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Action Jackson wrote:
Devin Kurant wrote:
TheRealMcCoy wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
Good signing for the Jets.

Can a Dallas fan update me on their CB situation now?

They have Orlando Scandrick and Anthony Brown (played well at times as a rookie). Outside of that? I have no clue.

Still, it is 100x better than the Eagles CB situation. Laughing

Nolan Carroll too. He isn't a plus pick up, but he's not any worse than Carr.

I think we'll be taking a corner in the first or second round.

Sorry man but you gotta put down the kool-aid. Carr is levels better than Carroll. Carroll is at best a #4 or 5 CB in the NFL and he'll probably be put in a starting role here. Expect teams to shred us apart this season. I can't stand losing 4 good secondary players and only guy we got is Carroll. Can't spend the first 3 picks in the draft on secondary even if you do that's not good.

Carr wasn't good at all. You can go either way with Carr or Carroll, but they both suck.

And how does Claiborne help you if he's sitting on the sideline hurt? You absolutely CANNOT bet on him being healthy.

There's no kool-aid. We certainly didn't get better, but we also certainly didn't get worse. I'll take Brown over Carr and Mo, and now Brown gets a starting job. I'm just banking on Carroll not being as bad as Carr. That's it.

None of it matters if we can't get a pass rush. And safety is by far the bigger concern. Jones has star potential but he's clearly got a ways to go. And the other safety job could be Jeff [inappropriate/removed] Heath's.

When life hands you lemons, just say f*** the lemons and bail.
MrBurfict

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's hoping the Cowboys have an all-offense, no defense type season full of mediocrity like the Saints have the last 3 seasons.
RoyalMajesty51o

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Action Jackson wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
Good signing for the Jets.

Can a Dallas fan update me on their CB situation now?

Bad, very very bad.

Right now this is what it is

CB
1. ???
2. Anthony Brown
3. Orlando Scandrick
4. Nolan Carroll
5. ???

FS
1. Byron Jones
2. ???

SS
1. Jeff Heath
2. Kavon Frazier

Luckily for you guys, this is a nice class for secondary players.
tom cody

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent singing here for the Jets yeah the Cowboys have to spend a high draft pick on a cornerback.

Courtesy of an online joke search.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: