Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets sign CB Morris Claiborne
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonyankee1nyj

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich51 wrote:
1 year 5m according to Rapoport

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/17/morris-claibornes-contract-with-jets-will-pay-him-5m-in-2017/

Does that mean Dallas really didn't want him?

I guess it was too much ask for a team option. It's a good deal, but not much upside for the team in the long run. If he does play well like he did to start the year, it'll be a risky decision to give an injury prone player a long term deal.

Still, I guess lets start with a healthy productive start for now Laughing

Soaring Jets Wall of Honor Member
Bobby816

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't like the contract. I would've preferred a multi year deal for him. His price is cheap now bc of injury, so we can't resign him with good play after this year for a decent price. I would've preferred a 3yr deal with some money tied up to him in year 2. As it stands now he just plugs a hole this season but opens it right back up in 2018.
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by his history, he won't stay healthy for us.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
xenajets

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of the contract as it doesn't make sense moving forward as it's a lose lose situation for us in my opinion.

Option 1. He balls out and ends up costing us a fortune next year either with a new contract or franchised.
Option 2. He is injured constantly/poor play. Therefore gives us nothing.
Option 3. He plays well whilst healthy but then has a few games out with injury and therefore puts us in another difficult place next year.

Would of much preferred giving him $7-8 mil a year for three years but with say 1/2mil guaranteed in year three. That way we are in control moving forward.

As it stands it's a one year rental at $5mil.

Many thanks to IDOG_det on the sig
Jag68Sid87

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about that. If he 'balls out', he will probably want to stay with us to show us gratitude for taking a chance on him when he was an injury-prone underachiever. So I think we would gladly pay the man if he performs very well and solidifies one of the corner spots.
rampantjet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume if it is looking like he is having a good season we will begin talks on an extension. If you find a way to complain about this deal then you are probably rarely pleased.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It keeps the seat warm for Burris and whom we draft this year. If he bails than we use that money in FA next year for a better corner. Hard for us to really offer more to anyone and them take it seriously given the state of this team and its not smart for us to overpay. Mac is going to give this team cap flexibility every year until we are ready to make more of a statement in FA or when we actually can.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
xenajets

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jag68Sid87 wrote:
I don't know about that. If he 'balls out', he will probably want to stay with us to show us gratitude for taking a chance on him when he was an injury-prone underachiever. So I think we would gladly pay the man if he performs very well and solidifies one of the corner spots.

Ha you must be joking right? Like that happens all the time in the NFL. He will sign for as much money as possible like the other 99.9% of players.

Many thanks to IDOG_det on the sig
Bianconero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's now official

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xenajets wrote:
Not a fan of the contract as it doesn't make sense moving forward as it's a lose lose situation for us in my opinion.

Option 1. He balls out and ends up costing us a fortune next year either with a new contract or franchised.
Option 2. He is injured constantly/poor play. Therefore gives us nothing.
Option 3. He plays well whilst healthy but then has a few games out with injury and therefore puts us in another difficult place next year.

Would of much preferred giving him $7-8 mil a year for three years but with say 1/2mil guaranteed in year three. That way we are in control moving forward.

As it stands it's a one year rental at $5mil.

I am sorry but your not making much sense to me. You would prefer to pay an under-preforming often injured player more per year and tie him up for longer?

The deal makes total sense and is very smart. We can see him first hand over 1 year for not much money. If he gets hurt, we can walk away with no dead money. If he "balls out", depending on who we draft, we can tag and trade or let walk and get a comp pick. Or we sign him and have 1st hand knowledge of his health and work ethic. Deal works for both parties.
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His former teammates Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu developed well under Bowles so I can see him wanting to stick around if he plays well, stays healthy, etc. The money will be there for him.

Quote:
@CRO31: @KellenWinslowJr you wish you were as good as your dad. Have you been to TARGET lately?
K-Ro 25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheDot wrote:
His former teammates Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu developed well under Bowles so I can see him wanting to stick around if he plays well, stays healthy, etc. The money will be there for him.

That's more chicken or the egg than anything. Bowles has struggled to develop Pryor correctly.
Mr.O

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-Ro 25 wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:

That's more chicken or the egg than anything. Bowles has struggled to develop Pryor correctly.
To Bowles' defense Pryor looked solid his first year under Bowles.

Props to CL on the

Carson Wentz/Noah Spence Bandwagon
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm perfectly fine with this deal. We will still likely target secondary in the draft. We can see what the rookies have and allow them to sit and learn before being thrust into a starting roll. We've done that with Shell, Wes Johnson, Burris, Leonard, Anderson, Peake, and to a lesser extent Enunwa. He sat behind Marshall and Decker even though he wasn't a rookie. I think Macc will continue the trend. If we do have to pay him next year then he will be off the books by the time a rookie from this draft class would need to get paid.
Fournette/Adams/Hooker/Howard @ #6
Rich51

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:
I assume if it is looking like he is having a good season we will begin talks on an extension. If you find a way to complain about this deal then you are probably rarely pleased.

Lol after 52 years as a fan, it's called being skeptical. Although I've been against signing him since the first few mocks in this forum had us signing him.

He's been injured every year of his career. His first four had him classified as a bust. Dallas even declined to give him his 5th year option. They resigned him at a lower cost. He started last year like it suddenly clicked but couldn't make it through half the season. Dallas in desperate need of a CB just let him go.

Even if he has a good year, he's so injury prone that it would be a gamble giving him a long term deal, imo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: