Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Zach Brown/DeAndre Levy
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vegas492


Joined: 30 Oct 2012
Posts: 1284
Location: Pewaukee, Wisconsin
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
I just have a feeling Matthews is going back inside. He would instantly become an all-pro caliber player again if he played inside. Thomas/Ryan/Martinez would be plenty enough talent for that other inside spot if Matthews goes inside.

Find a better inside pass rusher than Matthews would be. So many positive things would come from him making the permanent switch to the inside. It would extend his career, it would keep him healthier, it would add to what we could do defensively...

I've argued that stance before on here and been lit up for it. Something about Clay going like 4 games inside and only getting one tackle or something like that.

I've thought that he impacts the game more inside than he does outside.
_________________
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
packfanfb


Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 1606
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
I just have a feeling Matthews is going back inside. He would instantly become an all-pro caliber player again if he played inside. Thomas/Ryan/Martinez would be plenty enough talent for that other inside spot if Matthews goes inside.

Find a better inside pass rusher than Matthews would be. So many positive things would come from him making the permanent switch to the inside. It would extend his career, it would keep him healthier, it would add to what we could do defensively...


I would agree, but if we do, it puts OLB at No. 1 on the list of needs. Having Perry, Fackrell and Elliott holding down the fort is pretty weak. We need an impact player out there if we move Clay inside so we would probably have to go that route in Rd. 1, 2 at the latest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shanedorf


Joined: 18 Mar 2014
Posts: 1200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegas492 wrote:

I've thought that he impacts the game more inside than he does outside.

His greatest value is as a moveable chess piece who can play inside or outside. By arguing for one or the other, I think you're missing out on what he does best. Create havoc for the offensive game planning. If they know where he is they can slide protections, keep RBs/TEs in to block and chip etc. IF he moves around, that stresses their entire operation

IMO the goal is to be sound enough at all LB positions to give Capers the freedom to move him based on opponent/down/distance.
Clay has great instincts, why chain him down to one spot ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HorizontoZenith


Joined: 03 Mar 2016
Posts: 4289
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why chain him down to one spot?

Keeps him healthier.
Helps him focus on one position.
Eliminates a weak area in need of improvement.
He's been pretty ineffective as an EDGE for a while now.

I won't be disappointed wherever he plays. Ext year, but I think we get the most value out of him as an ILB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vegas492


Joined: 30 Oct 2012
Posts: 1284
Location: Pewaukee, Wisconsin
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
vegas492 wrote:

I've thought that he impacts the game more inside than he does outside.

His greatest value is as a moveable chess piece who can play inside or outside. By arguing for one or the other, I think you're missing out on what he does best. Create havoc for the offensive game planning. If they know where he is they can slide protections, keep RBs/TEs in to block and chip etc. IF he moves around, that stresses their entire operation

IMO the goal is to be sound enough at all LB positions to give Capers the freedom to move him based on opponent/down/distance.
Clay has great instincts, why chain him down to one spot ?

I agree, but if you have to pin a position label on him, I like him at ILB most of the time, kicking out on some passing downs.

Not OLB most of the time, kicking around only on occasion.

I love his delay blitz by the guards when he lines up inside. And I think he is one of the better LB's in the league when it comes to dropping into space. He does it pretty effortlessly and quickly.

If Clark can develop and keep Clay uncovered inside, I think he would be pretty fun to watch.
_________________
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group