You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Free Agents Thread 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big9erfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Fureys49ers wrote:
Another veteran CB on the market with Jason Mccourty being released from the Titans yesterday, not really sure why we haven't seemed atleast a little interested in talking to a veteran yet with the release of Brock. None of these guys are game changing but almost all of our CBs on the roster have very little experience. Then again I'm not on the need to know basis of what the decision makers are all thinking, maybe we look to add on after the draft.

I'm the opposite...I don't know why we would bring them in at this point. We know what those guys are (and it's not very good), and they are older and unlikely to be here in 3 years. I'd still roll with Ward / Robinson / Redmond / Reaser and the like and just let them play along with any possible corner we draft. We aren't going anywhere. Don't see any pressing need to bring an aging mediocre veteran in there.

I agree. We've got some young CBs to give time to, and this is a great draft to bring in at least one more. If we wanted to we could bring in a guy likely to be better than anyone we already have. I'd rather we did that than nbring in an has-been or never-was. Alternatively bring in a great single deep safety and keep Ward at nickel corner.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Forge wrote:
Fureys49ers wrote:
Another veteran CB on the market with Jason Mccourty being released from the Titans yesterday, not really sure why we haven't seemed atleast a little interested in talking to a veteran yet with the release of Brock. None of these guys are game changing but almost all of our CBs on the roster have very little experience. Then again I'm not on the need to know basis of what the decision makers are all thinking, maybe we look to add on after the draft.

I'm the opposite...I don't know why we would bring them in at this point. We know what those guys are (and it's not very good), and they are older and unlikely to be here in 3 years. I'd still roll with Ward / Robinson / Redmond / Reaser and the like and just let them play along with any possible corner we draft. We aren't going anywhere. Don't see any pressing need to bring an aging mediocre veteran in there.

I agree. We've got some young CBs to give time to, and this is a great draft to bring in at least one more. If we wanted to we could bring in a guy likely to be better than anyone we already have. I'd rather we did that than nbring in an has-been or never-was. Alternatively bring in a great single deep safety and keep Ward at nickel corner.

That's a little too much reliance on no one being injured at any point throughout the year, as well as some of these young guys stepping up and rising to the occasion. I'm skeptical of both Reaser and Johnson, hopefully Robinson can continue to improve and Redmond develops on the promise he showed in college but those are question marks for now and both are oft injured. A veteran brought in would provide some depth atleast and of course experience, starting experience which none of our guys really have.

I get waiting until after the draft but there are still going to be holes on our team with our added ten picks possibly, I still don't understand the logic of "we won't be very good next year, so what does it matter".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John232 wrote:
So our corner group as of now assuming we move Ward is:

Robinson
Reaser
Redmond
Johnson
Williams

Yeah, not horrible imo but not inspiring either. Reaser and Johnson have always looked solid in limited action...but it's just that, limited action. Most people seem to like Williams, but he's always injured IIRC, same goes for Robinson.

Honestly, Lattimore/Hooker/Adams and maybe Going Rasul Douglas in the third or even King in the second...It's understandable.

Still think we really need to address the pass-rush in some form in the first two rounds.

I agree with your last sentence. We will never get a true measure of what our DBs can be as long as we can't generate at least decent pressure on the QB. It's no coincidence that our defense was elite when Aldon was playing, and merely good before he arrived, and downright horrible after he was released (and losing our two best players at the same time). I'm not against adding DBs, talent is talent, and it always helps that have better players. But I don't see it as a "need", at least not at the same level as the pass rush. If we do not address the pass rush, I have zero hope for this defense next year, even if we add the best corner of the next decade.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
big9erfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
Forge wrote:
Fureys49ers wrote:

That's a little too much reliance on no one being injured at any point throughout the year, as well as some of these young guys stepping up and rising to the occasion. I'm skeptical of both Reaser and Johnson, hopefully Robinson can continue to improve and Redmond develops on the promise he showed in college but those are question marks for now and both are oft injured. A veteran brought in would provide some depth atleast and of course experience, starting experience which none of our guys really have.

I get waiting until after the draft but there are still going to be holes on our team with our added ten picks possibly, I still don't understand the logic of "we won't be very good next year, so what does it matter".

Well I assume we're bringing in at least one, if not two, or a safety and a CB. So I'm not worried about injuries. Heck if we bring in a really good rookie or two some of the guys we have on the roster now will be fighting to keep their jobs. How nice that would be!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
Forge wrote:
Fureys49ers wrote:

I feel it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I would bring in a veteran, but I'd prefer someone who's willing to work with the young guys. If it's just someone looking for playing time and a pay cheque, maybe it hurts us in the long run. Maybe it takes time away from someone who could just need it more, and helps us even more down the road. But I don't think we're addressing a positional need at this stage of free agency. If you want to add a starter, you're doing it at the start of free agency. At this point, the pool isn't that talented. This being said, I wouldn't mind signing someone at any point. No one we can sign right now would sign a long-term deal, no one would be guaranteed a spot on the roster. If we bring someone in, and the coaching staff then prefers to give the young guys the playing time, he can always be cut.

NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seahawks RFA Garry Gilliam Signs Offer Sheet With 49ers http://
Forge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Quote:

I like that he's betting on himself. Turned down a multi year deal previous

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Quote:

I like that signing a lot. Frees up another draft pick hopefully for offensive weapons, assuming of course that possibly OT/depth was a position of need we would address through this years draft. What's the numbers?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Quote:

Why? I know it is a cheap deal but dude sucks.

El ramster on the sig
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Quote:

Why? I know it is a cheap deal but dude sucks.

Because our depth includes a 5th round rookie who to my knowledge had very little to no playing time. He's still young with something like 25+ games of starting experience.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Per source, Garry Gilliam's one-year offer from 49ers was for $2.2M with $1.4M guaranteed. Original tender from Seahawks ($1.797M) not gtd
rudyZ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a "meh" signing. Swing tackle, hopefully. Maybe that shows that Kylo is content with Trent Brown at RT, and ends the rumors that we're interested in Cam Robinson. If we had been interested in Robinson, then no need for a back-up tackle, since Brown would still be on the roster on a very cheap 7th round rookie contract. Anyways.. OT was never a priority for me this offseason. Even though they fared poorly last year, I never thought OL was our biggest issue on offense.

Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
John232 wrote:
So our corner group as of now assuming we move Ward is:

Robinson
Reaser
Redmond
Johnson
Williams

Yeah, not horrible imo but not inspiring either. Reaser and Johnson have always looked solid in limited action...but it's just that, limited action. Most people seem to like Williams, but he's always injured IIRC, same goes for Robinson.

Honestly, Lattimore/Hooker/Adams and maybe Going Rasul Douglas in the third or even King in the second...It's understandable.

Still think we really need to address the pass-rush in some form in the first two rounds.

I agree with your last sentence. We will never get a true measure of what our DBs can be as long as we can't generate at least decent pressure on the QB. It's no coincidence that our defense was elite when Aldon was playing, and merely good before he arrived, and downright horrible after he was released (and losing our two best players at the same time). I'm not against adding DBs, talent is talent, and it always helps that have better players. But I don't see it as a "need", at least not at the same level as the pass rush. If we do not address the pass rush, I have zero hope for this defense next year, even if we add the best corner of the next decade.

So agree with the bolded! It will not matter who we have back there if we have no pass rush up there. We could have all star DBs and still not be able to stop the pass with the rush we have at the moment.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward even with Brock's release isn't going to stay at CB unless he fails at FS. They asked Lynch a few days ago who the single high safety will be and he said Ward will get the first shot at it.

El ramster on the sig
Pandomonium

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
That's a "meh" signing. Swing tackle, hopefully. Maybe that shows that Kylo is content with Trent Brown at RT, and ends the rumors that we're interested in Cam Robinson. If we had been interested in Robinson, then no need for a back-up tackle, since Brown would still be on the roster on a very cheap 7th round rookie contract. Anyways.. OT was never a priority for me this offseason. Even though they fared poorly last year, I never thought OL was our biggest issue on offense.

I agree with this.
however do we really want a seahawks lineman when that was one of their weakest units last year and they are desperately trying to upgrade?

RED, BLACK AND GOLD..TIL I'M DEAD BURIED AND COLD

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: