Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Free Agents Thread 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Fureys49ers


Joined: 31 Mar 2015
Posts: 865
Location: Sacramento, CA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
Fureys49ers wrote:
While I don't know much about Theus I'm not very confident he's our guy.



How can you say that... he beat out Fahn Cooper!!


Haha I mean I'm sure that's a feat in itself but when we play Zane Beadles over Theus as our "swing tackle" it's gotta say something.

Forge when I brought up Barwin before weren't you quick to disregard him? I'm confused, moot point now that he's a Ram but I could've sworn you weren't a fan. Regardless I'm not sure Claiborne helps this defense that much anyhow, if we are going to go after a CB I want it to be a legit number 1 CB, some guy who can come in right away and push all the other guys down a spot. Adding another mediocre to ok guy to our depth chart I don't think helps us all that much and maybe prevents some of the youth we have from developing and seeing the field. I think we've added some needed pieces through FA and while I wish we took a couple more shots on some other guys, specifically OL, WR and LB, I like that Lynch and gang aren't going crazy with all the money we have. We are all aware that this wasn't going to be a one year fix. It seems we addressed some areas and brought in some guys to help with the transition of schemes, as long we put together a solid draft I'll be extremely happy with how this offseason has progressed. On the plus side it appears most of these guys will be free agents next year as the one year prove it deal seems to be in style haha.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 18411
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Fureys49ers wrote:
While I don't know much about Theus I'm not very confident he's our guy.



How can you say that... he beat out Fahn Cooper!!


Haha I mean I'm sure that's a feat in itself but when we play Zane Beadles over Theus as our "swing tackle" it's gotta say something.

Forge when I brought up Barwin before weren't you quick to disregard him? I'm confused, moot point now that he's a Ram but I could've sworn you weren't a fan. Regardless I'm not sure Claiborne helps this defense that much anyhow, if we are going to go after a CB I want it to be a legit number 1 CB, some guy who can come in right away and push all the other guys down a spot. Adding another mediocre to ok guy to our depth chart I don't think helps us all that much and maybe prevents some of the youth we have from developing and seeing the field. I think we've added some needed pieces through FA and while I wish we took a couple more shots on some other guys, specifically OL, WR and LB, I like that Lynch and gang aren't going crazy with all the money we have. We are all aware that this wasn't going to be a one year fix. It seems we addressed some areas and brought in some guys to help with the transition of schemes, as long we put together a solid draft I'll be extremely happy with how this offseason has progressed. On the plus side it appears most of these guys will be free agents next year as the one year prove it deal seems to be in style haha.


It's possible - but it would have likely been before I knew we were running a 4-3 with 3-4 personnel similar to the Seahawks and thought we were running a traditional 4-3.

If we were running a traditional 4-3, or the wide 9 4-3, he's a bad fit. But now we know that we are not running the traditional 4-3; we are running a 4-3 with 3-4 personnel. He could slot in as a LEO...not sure what he has left in the tank so he may not be great at it. I don't know...haven't seen a lot of him.

That being said, I don't care that we didn't sign him. Overall, I'm not an overly huge fan given his age and diminishing skill set. Wouldn't have minded a visit though. I think that we are drafting Thomas though, and I think he's going to end up being our LEO.

Mo I didn't campaign for, J was bigger on him than I, but I trust his judgment on corners more than I do my own, to be perfectly blunt. With moving Ward to safety, and an unknown in Redmond, we do need another potential playable body there and Mo played pretty well in his action last year, and is still young enough at the current point in time to keep trending upward if he's finally getting it. I'd like a #1 too...I'm hopeful that Robinson will be that guy.
_________________


A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
757-NINER


Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 1892
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with a Robinson and Brock as a starting duo, followed by Williams, Johnson, and Redmond in no particularly order. I'd even throw in Reaser if he adapts to the scheme. If the season started today, I'd take that group and be content. I've said for two seasons now, I don't think our CBs are as bad as ppl think. Improve the front seven and those guys will prove their worth. I kind of feel like Lynch sees the same thing.

Now I wouldn't be opposed to adding another solid vet to the group in case the young guys aren't up to the task. But I remember a couple of beat writers during last year's TC stating that Redmond was looking the part. And that was as a rookie, coming off a significant injury. I would assume he'd be more further along this go 'round. And Robinso definitely showed promise. I still worry about his frame and his lack of bulk but there's no denying, he looked the part of a future starter last year, when given a opportunity.

And we also have to take into account, with guys like Chirs Davis, JaCorey Sheppard, and Prince Charles also still around as camp bodies/PS candidates, where does another body fit on the roster? I'm sure a draft pick or UDFA will be added to the mix. Only so many bodies you need there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 19576
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
I'm fine with a Robinson and Brock as a starting duo, followed by Williams, Johnson, and Redmond in no particularly order. I'd even throw in Reaser if he adapts to the scheme. If the season started today, I'd take that group and be content. I've said for two seasons now, I don't think our CBs are as bad as ppl think. Improve the front seven and those guys will prove their worth. I kind of feel like Lynch sees the same thing.

Now I wouldn't be opposed to adding another solid vet to the group in case the young guys aren't up to the task. But I remember a couple of beat writers during last year's TC stating that Redmond was looking the part. And that was as a rookie, coming off a significant injury. I would assume he'd be more further along this go 'round. And Robinso definitely showed promise. I still worry about his frame and his lack of bulk but there's no denying, he looked the part of a future starter last year, when given a opportunity.

And we also have to take into account, with guys like Chirs Davis, JaCorey Sheppard, and Prince Charles also still around as camp bodies/PS candidates, where does another body fit on the roster? I'm sure a draft pick or UDFA will be added to the mix. Only so many bodies you need there.


Redmond is probably the big question mark in the equation. If he turns out to be as good as people had thought he would he might well take over one of the CB spots and that would leave one of the other former starters as a solid 3rd or 4th CB. If he turns out to be awful then I'd say we need to add one more good one.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 18411
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
I'm fine with a Robinson and Brock as a starting duo, followed by Williams, Johnson, and Redmond in no particularly order. I'd even throw in Reaser if he adapts to the scheme. If the season started today, I'd take that group and be content. I've said for two seasons now, I don't think our CBs are as bad as ppl think. Improve the front seven and those guys will prove their worth. I kind of feel like Lynch sees the same thing.

Now I wouldn't be opposed to adding another solid vet to the group in case the young guys aren't up to the task. But I remember a couple of beat writers during last year's TC stating that Redmond was looking the part. And that was as a rookie, coming off a significant injury. I would assume he'd be more further along this go 'round. And Robinso definitely showed promise. I still worry about his frame and his lack of bulk but there's no denying, he looked the part of a future starter last year, when given a opportunity.

And we also have to take into account, with guys like Chirs Davis, JaCorey Sheppard, and Prince Charles also still around as camp bodies/PS candidates, where does another body fit on the roster? I'm sure a draft pick or UDFA will be added to the mix. Only so many bodies you need there.


Redmond is probably the big question mark in the equation. If he turns out to be as good as people had thought he would he might well take over one of the CB spots and that would leave one of the other former starters as a solid 3rd or 4th CB. If he turns out to be awful then I'd say we need to add one more good one.


Agreed. I did forget about signing Williams though. Some question with him coming off injury as well, so that is an unknown. Johnson I've never been big on, so I don't expect much. Reaser has not been nearly as good as I had hoped when we drafted him. We will see what happens there. The rest are camp bodies, and I'm thinking about playable bodies. But like I said, I did forget about Williams.
_________________


A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 18411
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The San Francisco 49ers announced they have signed LB Dekoda Watson to a three-year deal

_________________


A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fureys49ers


Joined: 31 Mar 2015
Posts: 865
Location: Sacramento, CA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another low caliber, special team signing at LB in Dakota Watson. Between Watson, Smith, Coyle and Armstrong our special teams should be amazing. Unfornately I still see a running mate next to Bowman, who I'm sure we as well as the Niners FO and coaching staff are praying comes back his usual all-pro self, as a very big need. An overhaul at LB was much needed, it's hard to say we improved at all though. Hopefully we can bring in someone via the draft with potential to become a viable NFL starting LB.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 16978
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:
Another low caliber, special team signing at LB in Dakota Watson. Between Watson, Smith, Coyle and Armstrong our special teams should be amazing. Unfornately I still see a running mate next to Bowman, who I'm sure we as well as the Niners FO and coaching staff are praying comes back his usual all-pro self, as a very big need. An overhaul at LB was much needed, it's hard to say we improved at all though. Hopefully we can bring in someone via the draft with potential to become a viable NFL starting LB.



I think all these guys we brought in at LB mean nothing. None of them is an impact playmaker, until proven otherwise. A lot is said about Seattle's secondary, and then their pass rush, but really, they've had playmaking LBs to really gel it all together. Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright are as much a reason for their success as their DL, in my opinion. Hopefully Navorro can come back healthy and not re-injure himself, for once. That would be one spot. With him, I'm not really concerned about the level of play. He might not be as fast as he once was, but I never felt his game was purely built on speed. He was never as fast as Pat Willis and made just as many plays, during their time together (it's sad to think we only had three years of prime Pat and Navorro together). Last year, when he played, our run D was okay, and it went horribly wrong when he got injured. I think he's still going to be a difference maker. But we do need another high level playmaking LB. We simply don't know how much longer Bowman will play, at the rate he racks up injuries.

I was really hoping we'd have a shot at Haason Reddick in the second, but it seems that ship has sailed. He just seems to have all the athleticism and intangibles to be a playmaker at the next level.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
757-NINER


Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 1892
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watson is definitely a STs signing primarily with potential to be a decent starter@WILL if the guy in front of him gets hurt. Watson really never caught on and had the career his athleticism should have allowed for. Just goes to show how much of the game is mental fortitude and playing with an edge. He tested off the charts as a prospect. Had a 4.11 in the 3-cone, which is WR territory, 24 reps on the bench, broad jumped over 11 feet and had 40' vert. Not to mention a running a 4.54 40 and coming from a great talent producing school. He just never displayed much on the field and was accused of 'going through the motions' when he first came into league as a Buc. I myself get caught up numbers sometimes for prospects but just goes to show you, physical attributes aren't everything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 18411
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Patton is heading to the Jets. Man, I had such high hopes for him when we drafted him. Really liked him as a mid round receiver prospect and was happy with the pick at the time.
_________________


A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 16978
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Looks like Patton is heading to the Jets. Man, I had such high hopes for him when we drafted him. Really liked him as a mid round receiver prospect and was happy with the pick at the time.



I always felt that if he went to a team like New Orleans or the Pats, he would have carved himself a nice little career. With us, he would have needed transcendant talent, in that craptastic passing offense of ours. Not sure he'll fare much better with the Jets.

With the rumor that Kap almost was signed by a team last week, what's the over/under that the team in question was the Jets? Over or under 85%? Patton and him being buddies, I can definitely see how they'd try to re-unite elsewhere. Now all they need is Ricardo Lockette and the crazy ex-girlfriend, and they can have a party.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 19576
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Looks like Patton is heading to the Jets. Man, I had such high hopes for him when we drafted him. Really liked him as a mid round receiver prospect and was happy with the pick at the time.


Me too. I thought we had found a diamond in the rough. I was happier with him than almost any other guy we picked around that range in the draft in a lot of years.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 18411
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Forge wrote:
Looks like Patton is heading to the Jets. Man, I had such high hopes for him when we drafted him. Really liked him as a mid round receiver prospect and was happy with the pick at the time.


Me too. I thought we had found a diamond in the rough. I was happier with him than almost any other guy we picked around that range in the draft in a lot of years.


I'll admit - Baalke was bad as a drafter, but there are quite a few guys that he selected that I was really high on as well. Not so sure I would have taken all of them with some of the other people that were still on the board at the time of the selection (that's why we do our yearly, what would you have done), but I'll admit to being a fan of several of the prospects.

I loved Tank Carradine. Bust. Now, I wonder if our coaching of him didn't have something to do with that, but the end result is the same. I loved Patton coming out. I really liked the Ellington selection. I liked taking a shot on Lattimore. I liked the Brandon Thomas selection at the end of round 3. I liked the Smelter pick.
_________________


A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 19576
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
Forge wrote:
Looks like Patton is heading to the Jets. Man, I had such high hopes for him when we drafted him. Really liked him as a mid round receiver prospect and was happy with the pick at the time.


Me too. I thought we had found a diamond in the rough. I was happier with him than almost any other guy we picked around that range in the draft in a lot of years.


I'll admit - Baalke was bad as a drafter, but there are quite a few guys that he selected that I was really high on as well. Not so sure I would have taken all of them with some of the other people that were still on the board at the time of the selection (that's why we do our yearly, what would you have done), but I'll admit to being a fan of several of the prospects.

I loved Tank Carradine. Bust. Now, I wonder if our coaching of him didn't have something to do with that, but the end result is the same. I loved Patton coming out. I really liked the Ellington selection. I liked taking a shot on Lattimore. I liked the Brandon Thomas selection at the end of round 3. I liked the Smelter pick.


Notice anything about that group of guys you just named? Many of them were coming off of injuries. Maybe the idea that we were getting a "bargain" because they would be rated higher if they weren't hurt was over-hyped? Also, they were unable to work out at the combine so we were not able to compare them to their peers which might have given you a better shot at seeing some of them weren't going to make it. Lattimore is the only that I thought was truly "great" but a big quesiton mark about his leg. Too much of a question probably to take him where we did. The others maybe were just not all that good before their injuries.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 43333
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
Watson is definitely a STs signing primarily with potential to be a decent starter@WILL if the guy in front of him gets hurt. Watson really never caught on and had the career his athleticism should have allowed for. Just goes to show how much of the game is mental fortitude and playing with an edge. He tested off the charts as a prospect. Had a 4.11 in the 3-cone, which is WR territory, 24 reps on the bench, broad jumped over 11 feet and had 40' vert. Not to mention a running a 4.54 40 and coming from a great talent producing school. He just never displayed much on the field and was accused of 'going through the motions' when he first came into league as a Buc. I myself get caught up numbers sometimes for prospects but just goes to show you, physical attributes aren't everything.


Nice memory refresh. Watson may just step up and make an excellent WLB in this scheme.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group