You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Free Agents Thread 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
Commenting on Zuttah, since I haven't had the chance - I love the addition. I assume he'll be center allowing Kilgore to kick back to his natural guard position for competition purposes (always a good thing). Boosts the interior depth a bit, too, as that was lacking with the departures of Martin and Tiller (as of now, but probably for good). I watched most Ravens game (fiancee's team), and I don't see why he is so strongly disliked by Ravens fans, but they are certainly more intimately involved with that team.

Side note - it's crazy that the Baltimore to San Francisco connection is still a thing after all these years/regimes.

Zuttah played a lot of guard too. Given how small the game day rosters are you need a couple of C/G types so you can fill in during the game in case of injury.

Good thing that we have three now. Hopefully one or two of them can prove to be starting caliber.

Zuttah should prove to be better than Kilgore. I expect him to win the starting job. I don't know if Kilgore will be able to beat out any of the other guards for a starting job. So I see him moving to our C/G backup on the game day roster.

And he might not make it on the game day active list, if we find someone better than Beadles to start. I'd also appreciate having someone better than last year's Theus (it could be this year's Theus, though, who knows) as our swing tackle.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Forge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
Commenting on Zuttah, since I haven't had the chance - I love the addition. I assume he'll be center allowing Kilgore to kick back to his natural guard position for competition purposes (always a good thing). Boosts the interior depth a bit, too, as that was lacking with the departures of Martin and Tiller (as of now, but probably for good). I watched most Ravens game (fiancee's team), and I don't see why he is so strongly disliked by Ravens fans, but they are certainly more intimately involved with that team.

Side note - it's crazy that the Baltimore to San Francisco connection is still a thing after all these years/regimes.

Zuttah played a lot of guard too. Given how small the game day rosters are you need a couple of C/G types so you can fill in during the game in case of injury.

Good thing that we have three now. Hopefully one or two of them can prove to be starting caliber.

Zuttah should prove to be better than Kilgore. I expect him to win the starting job. I don't know if Kilgore will be able to beat out any of the other guards for a starting job. So I see him moving to our C/G backup on the game day roster.

Agreed. I would suspect an offensive line that is Staley - Beadles - Zuttah - Garnett - Brown. Not sure how good it will be - Staley has been slowly regressing, Garnett was uninspiring for the most part, but obviously he's young. Brown I thought sort of plateaued. I think there's still a good ceiling there, but I want to see a step forward this year. Beadles is Beadles, and we know that is pretty limited, but at the same time, he should perform well in this scheme. Zuttah is awful if you believe the Ravens fans, and actually pretty good if you believe PFF. I'm more inclined to believe the fans though - it's not like his cap hit was monstrous (just 3.5 million base salary), so I find it hard to believe that the Ravens would be so willing to cut him loose if he were a good center at that low of a cost.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Forge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Defensive tackle Chris Jones won’t be swept away as part of the 49ers’ extensive offseason house-cleaning.
The 49ers re-signed Jones, 26, to a one-year contract, according to his agent, Mike McCartney.

Quote:

After Jones’ arrival in 2016, the 49ers allowed an average of 143.2 rushing yards per game, which was 36 fewer than they surrendered in their first 10 contests.

big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:

And he might not make it on the game day active list, if we find someone better than Beadles to start. I'd also appreciate having someone better than last year's Theus (it could be this year's Theus, though, who knows) as our swing tackle.

I'm kind of surprised that not one post I've seen here has mentioned tackle as a need. Brown is still a mystery, especially in this offense. I think it's a fair assessement that Staley is on the downside of his career. The worst thing is that we have little in the way of quality backup if one of those two gets hurt.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Quote:
Defensive tackle Chris Jones won’t be swept away as part of the 49ers’ extensive offseason house-cleaning.
The 49ers re-signed Jones, 26, to a one-year contract, according to his agent, Mike McCartney.

Quote:

After Jones’ arrival in 2016, the 49ers allowed an average of 143.2 rushing yards per game, which was 36 fewer than they surrendered in their first 10 contests.

I thought he showed some promise when he was in there last year. I'm happy that we're giving him another year to see what he's got to offer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Forge wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I thought he showed some promise when he was in there last year. I'm happy that we're giving him another year to see what he's got to offer.

Something I didn't know was that he had like 6 sacks his first year. I mean, cheap one year deal for a guy that is fairly young and has shown a little bit of promise in multiple facets? Yeah, I like that move as well. I think he could be a very solid rotational guy.

Forge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo Claiborne to the Jets, Connor Barwin to the Rams.

Our team has curled up into the fetal position and is hiding in its room for the rest of FA.

rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:

I'm kind of surprised that not one post I've seen here has mentioned tackle as a need. Brown is still a mystery, especially in this offense. I think it's a fair assessement that Staley is on the downside of his career. The worst thing is that we have little in the way of quality backup if one of those two gets hurt.

I'm fairly certain everyone feels like every single position on the team isn't above being improved. We could honestly take BPA every single pick and not cause any sort of logjam at any position. But when people discuss needs, they go in order of priority. OT should be a big cause for concern over the next few years.

Trent Brown didn't have the season we hoped for after the praise he got in preseason, but I don't necessarily think it's all on him. Remember how in the early weeks of the season, our pass pro ranked very high and Blaine often had clean pockets and way too long to make a bad throw? I just think the offense crumbled in large part because of the QB play, and they didn't really play with much confidence the rest of the year, and Brown kinda lost his training camp mojo. Hopefully Kylo can tailor the offense to his players strength, unlike Chip. Brown is not the prototype for Shanahan's offense, but he's a talented kid, and I still believe the training camp hype. There were legit pass rushers (didn't Von Miller praise him?) who thought he played great. You can't luck into blocking an elite pass rusher. It's like a corner playing man to man. You either do your job or get exposed. You can mask the deficiencies of an interior lineman, they get more help. But tackles get a lot more one on ones. So yeah, I still believe in him for the time being. In any case, this isn't a great year for tackles. Maybe we'll have to address it next year. Kylo will know for sure what he has in his players by then, hopefully.

big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Rudy. This is one of the worst years I can ever remember for OTs. We should stock up on dbs and get our TE this year. This is one of the best years I've seen for those positions. I mean quality guys in the first 2 or 3 rounds.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Yeah Rudy. This is one of the worst years I can ever remember for OTs. We should stock up on dbs and get our TE this year. This is one of the best years I've seen for those positions. I mean quality guys in the first 2 or 3 rounds.

I'm not totally convinced we'll even draft any DB or TE this year, ironically. But yeah, it would be great to improve there (mostly TE).

Antony Auclair, guys. Might be there in the 7th, already been wearing red and gold for years (that was literally the name of his university's team... rouge et or (red and gold). He's an amazing fit.

Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy I've been liking more and more as the free agency period has played out is Taylor Moton out of Western Michigan. Whether he plays OG or OT I'm not too concerned about as we could use help and talent at both spots. Moton seems like a very capable OL regardless of position, he holds up well against both speed and bull rushers, plays with a nasty demeanor and finishes his blocks well in the run game, can reach the second level with effectiveness, plays with a good base and technique. Played RT and RG in college and did both very well so in my mind he would practice at both, if he shows well at OT then he starts over Brown, if OG looks to be his more natural position as all the draft gurus feel then we have a talented rookie to push for playing time and force Beadles to a more fitting swing OG position.

I really wanted to bring in a veteran OT to push Brown and buy us a little time with this seeming like a bad draft class to find an OT to groom. I'm still hoping that Brown can reach his potential we all think he has but a back up plan or a capable guy to step in at times is definitely still needed. While I don't know much about Theus I'm not very confident he's our guy.

I agree with the TE class being so good we should take advantage but see other needs more important in the early portion of the draft. However because there are so many guys at the top of this class I really feel like valuable, solid TE prospects will be pushed down further than they normally would. That's where I would like to see us take one, someone like Michael Roberts or Cole Hikutini in the 5th would be amazing value and both I feel have the capability to develop into good receiving options at TE.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:

Our team has curled up into the fetal position and is hiding in its room for the rest of FA.

Team just traded for Zuttah. Also Claiborne isn't worth the money and Barwin is not as good in a 4-3. I'd rather signings that fit the team instead of them playing Madden franchise mode.

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
Forge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
Forge wrote:

Team just traded for Zuttah. Also Claiborne isn't worth the money and Barwin is not as good in a 4-3. I'd rather signings that fit the team instead of them playing Madden franchise mode.

Financials aren't known so far as I can tell on Mo, but he was actually very solid last year. I can't imagine it was more than 5/6 milion.

And Barwin would be fine as our leo. Our 4-3 is one that utilizes 3-4 personnel, so he would slot in okay there. He doesn't fit the eagles 4-3 because they run Jim Schwartz's wide 9 4-3 front.

rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:
While I don't know much about Theus I'm not very confident he's our guy.

How can you say that... he beat out Fahn Cooper!!

NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
‪Raiders strongly considering acquiring RB Marshawn Lynch, either through trade or by his release, sources tell @JosinaAnderson and me.‬

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: