You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Forte FUTURE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doumeyer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Matt Forte FUTURE Reply with quote

Matt Forte will be 31 years during the 2017 season if he is still with the Jets. Just two years go he ran for over a 1000 yards & caught over 100 passes in one season. He was a offensive machine in Chicago for 8 years. Last year he played with a lousy O line and the QB situation for the Jets was a joke. He missed very few games in Chicago and he is not a injury prone player. Like a lot of folks on the board I was ready to let him go, now I am not so sure. This might be Mac"s thinking that is why he has not been cut. And we have Powell who more than adequate to spell Forte.
Kyu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Forte and Harris are in the same holding pattern.

They're veterans who probably don't want to be a part of a rebuild and have little to no GTD money left. If Mac feels that the roster spot is better utilized by another player, I'm sure Forte will be freed.

Rosters are a long way from being settled. My guess is that they'll try and get something for him on draft day, but will most likely be cut afterwards.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my thoughts on Forte... I actually really wanted him last offseason and was very happy when we brought him in. But once I saw his contract I didn't like it. He should've never got more than a 1yr deal at his age, nevermind a fully guaranteed 2 yr deal pretty much. Makes it where we can't get rid of him this offseason via cut. And I think it's going to be very very hard to trade him even if it's for a 7th Round draft pick. What I will say about his play at this stage is he needs to be 2nd fiddle to Powell this year. Powell should get 2-3 of the touches not the other way. The big thing that I don't like about Forte still being here is that I think a young star RB is what this team needs with no QB. Having Forte on this team makes it look like RB isn't a need, when I think it is. I still stand by that Fournette or Cook are who I want at 6, I just can't see it happening bc of Forte, which has turned me sour to him.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't gain anything from cutting Forte. He would need to be traded to get him off our books. He isn't bad in the locker room and in reality teams are going to carry 3-4 RBs. If we take Fournette there is no reason Forte can't be the 2nd or 3rd string back. Literally the only negative aspect about Forte for us is he could take touches away from either a rookie or Powell, to me that's not enough to just eat his salary.
famousj

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Matt Forte's future on a contending team who want to use Forte as a complimentary back in their offense via a trade of a 5 - 7th round pick. If he remains on the Jets it will be in a committee role as a younger back is groomed to be a lead back. The interest in getting a FB says there will be an infosis on the running game with a RB with a different skill set than what Matt Forte brings.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBs get injured all the time, so "when" a team loses 1 of their 2 RBs by committee Forte's trade value does increase. But this wont happen until camp, pre season and the regular season. I would like him off the books via trade before the draft, but I just cant see it happening.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually agree. I don't have a problem with him coming back. You need some vets to educate all these young guys anyway. Everything can't come from coaches. Plus, I don't think what happened was his fault. Poor play from Fitz forced Forte to see more stacked boxes behind a struggling oline.

I would like for us to balance the carries more with Powell & who ever we draft. I still think he can rush for 1k and catch 50+ passes if we needed him to.

JETS . HEAT . ATLANTA UNITED FC . UCLA/GEORGIA STATE .
doumeyer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
I actually agree. I don't have a problem with him coming back. You need some vets to educate all these young guys anyway. Everything can't come from coaches. Plus, I don't think what happened was his fault. Poor play from Fitz forced Forte to see more stacked boxes behind a struggling oline.

I would like for us to balance the carries more with Powell & who ever we draft. I still think he can rush for 1k and catch 50+ passes if we needed him to.

I agree
Kyu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:

I loved Forte in his prime, but it's hard to predict such numbers when so few have done it after the dreaded age of 30. I believe he can still be productive, but in a 10-15 touch role.
rampantjet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyu wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

I loved Forte in his prime, but it's hard to predict such numbers when so few have done it after the dreaded age of 30. I believe he can still be productive, but in a 10-15 touch role.

Forte was an entire offense in Chicago, but he had a ton of touches there. Every one of those hits he took was on display last year. He just looked insanely slow, and just wasn't the player he used to be. I hate paying for FA RB's, as RB's can be found in the draft for cheap every year and they have fresh legs.

By the looks of it Forte is done being a top end back. Even in his good games last year he wasn't great. He had 2 100 yard games over the year, and i mean 100, he was at exactly 100, and in both he had 3.3 yards per carry..... gross. That just means he got to 100 yards because he got a lot of carries.

Him getting way more touches than Bilal Powell last year was the biggest indictment of Bowels last year.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple, hes older, were going young, let the young guys play and slows slow AF. We also don't benefit from keeping him either because hes no longer that good. Bilal seemed to run well behind that awful line. Just saying.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
doumeyer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:
Kyu wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

Forte was an entire offense in Chicago, but he had a ton of touches there. Every one of those hits he took was on display last year. He just looked insanely slow, and just wasn't the player he used to be. I hate paying for FA RB's, as RB's can be found in the draft for cheap every year and they have fresh legs.

By the looks of it Forte is done being a top end back. Even in his good games last year he wasn't great. He had 2 100 yard games over the year, and i mean 100, he was at exactly 100, and in both he had 3.3 yards per carry..... gross. That just means he got to 100 yards because he got a lot of carries.

Him getting way more touches than Bilal Powell last year was the biggest indictment of Bowels last year.

Forte average in Chicago was over 4 yards per carry for his career.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:

Powell has been in the league for 6 years. So he's a vet presence at this point for RBs brought in.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

Powell has been in the league for 6 years. So he's a vet presence at this point for RBs brought in.

But doesn't carry the on field experience Forte has had to be ready for any situation. He's never even been our #1 RB. Who knows, Forte probably helped Powell this year. But it doesn't hurt to have a 'Been there, done that' type of guy to help with prep before games.

JETS . HEAT . ATLANTA UNITED FC . UCLA/GEORGIA STATE .
ekill08x

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odds are we draft one and could still pickup a cheap option with upside. Forte is neither. He couldn't be any less explosive. I just don't want to see that guy getting touches in 2017

Props to JMG on the sig as usual

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: