Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings Sign RB Latavius Murray
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're seeming to forget is every RB's style of play is different. He's similar to AP in the fact that he may tinker a few yards on a few carries before finally busting loose for a big one.

Another point you're overlooking is his reps declining last year due to injuries and guys behind him. So again, a RB of his caliber takes a few dinks and dunks before he can turn out the big ones. If you take away those 'dinks and dunks' it will kill his average.

Third, accessing 12 TD's in the NFL is no easy feat, you're severely underrating his nose for the endzone. Some players have a niche for crossing the goal line more than others, and he seems to be one of those guys. The passing game you guys have is very dynamic, just like the running game you had was. They set up each other for success. Lose one, and watch the other suffer.

Again, you can nit pick stats for any player.

FootballProdiG wrote:
I see Minnesota falling off the map this year just like they did in the second half of the season.
#5strong
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it should be telling that raider fans didn't want murray back

its one thing for a team to turn on a player after he leaves, aka sour grapes, but we didn't want him back for a reason...

now im being told he's better than given credit for despite not producing well behind one of the league's best lines and passing attacks taking the pressure off

Last edited by raiderrocker18 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
vikingshomer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
vikingshomer wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
vikingshomer wrote:
Well whatever he is, he is much better than what wet had last year and we got him for peanuts

5 million a year is peanuts?

Honest question. If he averaged 4 yards a carry behind our line running out of shotgun, what will he do behind Minnesota's line when they run a lot of shotgun too?
guaranteed money is the only thing that actually matters. If he sucks and we need cap space for something else, he can be cut for virtually no loss.

Murray's deal is for $15 million over three years, with $3.4 million guaranteed at signing, according to a league source. The running back can get another $5.15 million in guaranteed money if he's on the roster by the third day of the 2018 league year.

The first year isn't terrible (I definitely wouldn't give him 3.4M guaranteed) but it's only a one year commitment. If they Murray for 2018 though, the cap hit is 6.5M which is crazy. Unless Murray goes full AP mode, paying him 6.5M is absolutely asinine.

We'll see. Rumors are thought the Vikings are targeting a RB high in the draft.
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. Fans are emotional. Hang on to moments and plays like bitter ex wives. ( Myself included )

Players and coaches are all about business and what you can do for 4 quarters. This guy has shown he can compete in this game at a fairly high level, is relatively young, and will play in a system to his strengths.

FootballProdiG wrote:
I see Minnesota falling off the map this year just like they did in the second half of the season.
#5strong
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
I much rather would have seen minny add a dynamic back in the draft though.

I wouldn't count us out of drafting a RB if this is a deal we can get out of after a year. Some of us are hoping for Mixon.

"My purpose will not be denied."
- Teddy Bridgewater 9/1/16
big_palooka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:
Not really. Fans are emotional. Hang on to moments and plays like bitter ex wives. ( Myself included )

Players and coaches are all about business and what you can do for 4 quarters. This guy has shown he can compete in this game at a fairly high level, is relatively young, and will play in a system to his strengths.

It should be noted that the coaches in Oakland were never high on him at all. He was soft, didn't break a lot of tackles. Was not consistent and not a hard worker off the field. It was telling that URFA try out player undersized Richard packed more of a punch and moved pile more than he did. And eventually took his carries.

For all the goal line TDs, he could not manage to pick up a 3rd/4th and short. He goes down on first contact. He doesn't see the holes. And he won't make anyone miss in the open field.

On his best days, he was Darren McFadden.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballProdiG wrote:
So instead of just resigning AP or signing Jamaal Charles you sign Latavius Murray? Average signing. I see Minnesota falling off the map this year just like they did in the second half of the season.

I couldn't disagree more. AP is 32 coming off another injury. J.Charles is coming off another season ending injury and is 30. Murray is a solid overall RB who will be able to start for 2-3 years while the other two may only give you half a season.

EL ramster on the sig!
SilverNBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, the Raiders oline is overrated when it comes to Run Blocking.

I mean we're good, but let's not act like we're the 03 Chief's. So for people to say Murray should have done far more behind our line, remember that.
Ambrose

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TENINCH wrote:
FootballProdiG wrote:
So instead of just resigning AP or signing Jamaal Charles you sign Latavius Murray? Average signing. I see Minnesota falling off the map this year just like they did in the second half of the season.

Please we were 8-8 with a rotating door of offensive lineman. Barring a bunch of injuries we're a 10-13 win team.

The arrogance of this post...the team that won the NFC North was just as brutalized by injuries, if not more so.
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like we have just signed a "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" type of player to replace one of the best running backs of this generation.

This offseason just keeps getting better and better. All I can say is that I am looking forward to the draft - the 2018 draft, that is. This team is going NOWHERE in 2017 unless Mike Zimmer somehow gets the defense playing like the '85 Bears all season.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
It sounds like we have just signed a "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" type of player to replace one of the best running backs of this generation.

This offseason just keeps getting better and better. All I can say is that I am looking forward to the draft - the 2018 draft, that is. This team is going NOWHERE in 2017 unless Mike Zimmer somehow gets the defense playing like the '85 Bears all season.

Treadwell would have been huge.

Yo buddy quit trolling yeah.
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a good signing at the price they got him at. People act like they gave this guy a 5 year contract. There's a reason they gave him prove it deal, they want to see what he can do this year, Also McKinnon has underperformed somewhat and has only 1 year left on his deal. They will draft a talented back and work him in slowly. A guy like Mixon would be great in the 3rd.

Murray will come in to be a stop gap, while helping Bradford stay upright and getting the brunt of the goal line carries. He's an upgrade over what they had at any point in last season, in which they did start 5-0. He may be above average, but they dont need him carry the team. With the oline improved, we should be quite a bit better than what we were last year. The defense has only lost two starters (Greenway+Captain) and they were the weakest links. The offense should make strides. (better oline, Bradford chemistry/familiarity with offense, young WRs improving, Lat Murray, plus whatever they do in the draft). People are possibly underestimating this team, but they are a 10-11 win team. I dont believe they will win a superbowl this season, but a deep playoff run i could see. This is the same team that nearly beat Sea two seasons ago, but better now.

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bermuda Viking

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Frank Costello wrote:
I'll take 4 yards per carry if it equals 12 TD's on the season.

You can nit pick a stat line from just about every player.

Laughing

You're kidding right? It's arguably the most important measure for any running back, especially considering it was behind a very good offensive line.

He had 12 touchdowns because he plays on a high powered offense that gets in the redzone quite a bit.

With all due respect, we were 6th in points per game. You guys were 28th.

I highly doubt he's gonna get the redzone carries to get close to that this year.

He does run well in the redzone and pass protect well. I will readily admit that.

The best part about this signing is the performance escalators and that you guys can get off it in one year.

Man I am not a state guy but I cannot tell you how many times the Vikings couldn't get one yard on a rush this year. Many many times 1st and goal from the one and couldn't get in. Scoring will look different next year with healthier slightly better line and this guy. If Murray only produces inside the 20 it will be awesome!

I love the Vikings, win or lose.
91jmay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that price he is a good signing, if the system is more suited to him he can be a decent starter.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Frank Costello wrote:
I'll take 4 yards per carry if it equals 12 TD's on the season.

You can nit pick a stat line from just about every player.

Laughing

You're kidding right? It's arguably the most important measure for any running back, especially considering it was behind a very good offensive line.

He had 12 touchdowns because he plays on a high powered offense that gets in the redzone quite a bit.

With all due respect, we were 6th in points per game. You guys were 28th.

I highly doubt he's gonna get the redzone carries to get close to that this year.

He does run well in the redzone and pass protect well. I will readily admit that.

The best part about this signing is the performance escalators and that you guys can get off it in one year.

I largely agree with this.
Fans usually try to see everything in a positive light.
He should do sizable worse then in Oakland.
If the best thing about a signing is that u can cut bait in one year its likely a bad signing. A 3rd round RB in this draft could offer on par/better then what Murray brings. We should have upgraded a more need position with better talent with more $.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: