Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings Sign RB Latavius Murray
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Uncle Buck wrote:
It sounds like we have just signed a "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" type of player to replace one of the best running backs of this generation.

This offseason just keeps getting better and better. All I can say is that I am looking forward to the draft - the 2018 draft, that is. This team is going NOWHERE in 2017 unless Mike Zimmer somehow gets the defense playing like the '85 Bears all season.

Tebow might be available. could save our season still.

Like he did in Denver. True. Unfortunately, that ship has sailed and he is no longer an option.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murray will be ok. He's not going to tear the league up or take away from the Vikings needing to draft another RB. I know I'd rather give him 5 million than give it to a kick returner.

Patterson had 4 or 5 kick return touchdowns last year. Vikings only won one of those games so safe to say his impact isn't that great.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing Patterson at KR means Jalen Richard gets more plays at RB. He fits our offense better than Murray did and can actually make people miss. Heck, sometimes he even runs harder despite the size difference. Murray got pretty good at punching the ball in for short yardage situations, but I feel we won't have a hard time replacing his production. With the depth of this RB class, our interior OL, and Reggie's ability to find late round RBs (Murray was 6th, Washington a 5th, Richard a UDFA), I'm not worried at all.

Patterson is more than a KR though. We lost some good ST players in FA, especially Andre Holmes. Holmes didn't return kicks but he was our 4th WR and a good gunner. Patterson should be able to fill a similar role in addition to kick returns to help recoup some of the ST talent we lost. I've heard he's a good blocker and is good with the ball in his hands after quick passes. Which is a good fit for us offensively too.

Good luck to Murray. He has a bunch of potential that I hope he realizes. Just needs to stop doing stuff like this as often as he did:
https://twitter.com/RaidersAnalysis/status/843175202519465984
91jmay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TENINCH wrote:
Murray will be ok. He's not going to tear the league up or take away from the Vikings needing to draft another RB. I know I'd rather give him 5 million than give it to a kick returner.

Patterson had 4 or 5 kick return touchdowns last year. Vikings only won one of those games so safe to say his impact isn't that great.

I'd much rather give the superior Richard touches + have a great KR threat and a WR who fits our O nicely than have a decent RB.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get what Patterson has to do with Murray and whys he's being discussed.

MN didnt really have a need for Patterson. Jarius Wright is a better WR and they clearly want to get Treadwell involved. Patterson is a great KR but MNs punt returner, Marcus Sherels, is also a dangerous return man. He's returned kicks in the past.

In the end, the Vikes and Raiders both had depth at WR and RB, respectively. Doesn't make sense for either team to pay $5m for a player that is easily replaceable given the current status of each teams roster.

In the end, Murray will likely play significantly more as he was paid to start, and at the least, be a third down RB. Patterson on the other hand hasn't shown he can be a top 2 WR and kick return opportunities are limited with rule changes.

Patterson is a great gunner, that is the true void for MN.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

MN didnt really have a need for Patterson. Jarius Wright is a better WR and they clearly want to get Treadwell involved. Patterson is a great KR but MNs punt returner, Marcus Sherels, is also a dangerous return man. He's returned kicks in the past.

In the end, the Vikes and Raiders both had depth at WR and RB, respectively. Doesn't make sense for either team to pay $5m for a player that is easily replaceable given the current status of each teams roster.

In the end, Murray will likely play significantly more as he was paid to start, and at the least, be a third down RB. Patterson on the other hand hasn't shown he can be a top 2 WR and kick return opportunities are limited with rule changes.

Murray being 3rd down back is opposite of his skillset, he came off the field on 3rd down quite a lot for Oakland. I would imagine you would look to pair him with a scat back in the draft.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

91jmay wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Murray being 3rd down back is opposite of his skillset, he came off the field on 3rd down quite a lot for Oakland. I would imagine you would look to pair him with a scat back in the draft.

If Murray is a good blocker, I can't see him coming off the field on third down. Our RBs seem to have more of a blocking role in third down, hence why Matt Asiata was the third down RB and not Jerick McKinnon. McKinnon is a scat back but he can't block.

I think MN will be looking for more of a power back in the draft, doesn't seem like Murray is a true power back, despite his size.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Murray, dude doesn't play to his measureables but he can play. He didn't fit our scheme as well as Richard or Washington, doesn't run out of the gun very effectively. Line him up in the I and hell get you 4 yards, and the occasional long gain. I think he would be better getting 15-20 carries in the I. He does leave a lot to be desired, especially with his size/speed, often goes down easier than youd like, and doesn't make anyone miss. He will hit the hole if that is where the play is designed, doesn't offer much in terms of cut backs. Plus Pass Pro, below average hands.

All in all, I think Murray is an average back, who you could do a lot worse from, but will always leave you wanting more. This is coming from a guy that wouldn't have minded if the Raiders brought him back, but not upset that we didn't lol
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

The guy who posted above me mentioned him so I thought I'd share why the move was valuable to us. I'm sure Murray will get a lot of touches for you guys. He just didn't pan out for us in the end.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TENINCH wrote:

Well it's a team game no? Patterson will be more than just a kick returner for us. He's a great gunner and also in an offense that can actually utilize him. Oh and he finally has a legit quarterback.

With that said, your cheap shot aside, I don't think it was a bad deal for Murray. He'll be a productive player for you.
TENINCH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:

Well it's a team game no? Patterson will be more than just a kick returner for us. He's a great gunner and also in an offense that can actually utilize him. Oh and he finally has a legit quarterback.

With that said, your cheap shot aside, I don't think it was a bad deal for Murray. He'll be a productive player for you.

Cheap shot? Laughing

Derek Carr is no more of a legit QB than Sam Bradford is in Minnesota.
Bone_Collector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TENINCH wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

Cheap shot? Laughing

HERE WE GO Laughing

Props to cdUbs14 for the sig!
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hereby summon Krauser to explain to us just how bad Carr is.
TENINCH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bone_Collector wrote:
TENINCH wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

Cheap shot? Laughing

HERE WE GO Laughing

That's not a shot at Derek Carr. It's more of a testament to how well Bradford did in Minnesota. Theilen and Rudolph both had career years thanks to Bradford. All behind arguably the worst line in the NFL. 7 different starters at tackle with Matt Asiata and Jerrick McKinnon as the primary running backs.
RedRider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfc. Get real, Carr is 100x the QB that Sam is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: